Date: 8 Feb 89 21:00:21 GMT
From: johnr@runx.ips.oz.au (John Rotenstein)
Subject: Adventures in Programming -- FrameIt
[Adventures in Programming -- FrameIt]

What do you get when you cross a journalist with a programmer?

The "Adventures in Programming" series describes the development of a
number of public domain programs.  Share the joy, anger and amazement
of writing a program as you learn new techniques which may save an
insurmountable time in the future.  A new form of public domain
journalism.

This adventure describes the development of FrameIt, a utility which
frames screen dumps.  But it isn't as simple as it seems...

Copyright 1988 by John Rotenstein
Printed reproduction requires written permission from the Author

johnr@runx.ips.oz.au (John Rotenstein)

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/adventures-frameit.hqx; 10K]

------------------------------

Date: 9 Feb 89 05:00:27 GMT
From: johnr@runx.ips.oz.au (John Rotenstein)
Subject: Adventures in Programming -- init cdev
[Adventures in Programming -- init cdev]

What do you get when you cross a journalist with a programmer?

The "Adventures in Programming" series describes the development of a
number of public domain programs.  Share the joy, anger and amazement
of writing a program as you learn new techniques which may save an
insurmountable time in the future.  A new form of public domain
journalism.

This adventure describes the development of init cdev, a utility which
manages the usage of INIT files.  Discover hints in writing INITs and
cdevs as you journey the uncharted paths of Macintosh...

Copyright 1988 by John Rotenstein
Printed reproduction requires written permission from the Author

johnr@runx.ips.oz.au (John Rotenstein)

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/adventures-init-cdev.hqx; 10K]

------------------------------

Date: 9 Feb 89 01:00:23 GMT
From: johnr@runx.ips.oz.au (John Rotenstein)
Subject: Adventures in Programming -- Logout
[Adventures in Programming -- Logout]

What do you get when you cross a journalist with a programmer?

The "Adventures in Programming" series describes the development of a
number of public domain programs.  Share the joy, anger and amazement
of writing a program as you learn new techniques which may save an
insurmountable time in the future.  A new form of public domain
journalism.

This adventure describes the development of Logout, a utility which
provides information on the time spent playing with your computer.
Learn techniques of modifying DSATs and installing shutdown routines as
you venture into the dark and forgotten reaches of Macintosh...

Copyright 1988 by John Rotenstein
Printed reproduction requires written permission from the Author

johnr@runx.ips.oz.au (John Rotenstein)

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/adventures-logout.hqx; 10K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15-FEB-1989 00:16:40.19 GMT+1
From: <miwe001%dtuzdv5a.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Adrian Weiler #45054)
Subject: CDC WREN Disks. Some answers and some more questions.

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 89 22:00 GMT+1
From: miwe001@dtuzdv5a.bitnet  (Adrian Weiler)

Rafi (Rafi@BGUVM.BITNET) writes (Info-Mac Digest V7 #6):

> I received couple CDC WREN V 192MB hard disks, a while ago.
> The formatting went well and the disks are operational.
> However there are few problems:
> 1.  The disks will not boot! I can only boot from a diskette and
> switch launch the finder.
  (other stuff deleted)

Darrell Skinner (PMIDS@FRPOLY11.BITNET) writes (Info-Mac Digest V7 #13):

> I just bought the same disk and installed it.  No problems.
> There may indeed be a special Mac Version.  Or rather, I was told that
> CDC made a mistake in one particular SCSI function (which one, I dont
> know) which causes problems when you put two or more of them on line
> simultaneously.

Well... I bought a CDC WREN IV and, after a while, managed to get it
running with my Mac SE. However, there are still some problems left:

1) It runs on a Mac SE, but *NOT* on a Mac Plus!! Therefore I guess that
   Rafi has a Mac + and Darell has a SE or ][.

   The Macintosh Technical Note #96 (SCSI Bugs) has an answer for this:

   > In the process of looking for a bootable SCSI device, the boot code
   > issues a SCSI bus reset before each attempt to read block 0 from a
   > device.  If the read fails for any reason, the boot code goes on to
   > the next device.  SCSI devices which implement the Unit Attention
   > condition as defined by the Revision 17B SCSI standard will fail to
   > boot in this case. (...) If no other device is bootable, the boot
   > code will eventually cycle back to the same SCSI device ID, reset
   > the bus (causing Unit Attention in the drive again), and try to read
   > block 0 (which fails for the same reason).

   > The problems in the ROM boot code can only be fixed by changing the
   > ROMs.  Most of the bugs in the SCSI Manager itself have been fixed
   > by the patch code in the System 3.2 file.  There are a few problems,
   > though, that are not fixed with System 3.2emost of these bugs have
   > been corrected in System 4.1. (...) ROM code for future machines
   > will, of course, include the corrections.

   > The 'new' Macintosh Plus ROMs that are included in the platinum
   > Macintosh Plus have only one change.  The change was to simply do a
   > single SCSI Bus Reset after power up instead of a Reset each time
   > through the SCSI boot loop.  This was done to allow Unit Attention
   > drives to be bootable.

   > Not possible to get a specific ROM since they are all the same
   > part number.

   > We recommend that you choose an SCSI controller which does not require
   > the Unit Attention featureeeither an older controller (...), or one of
   > the newer Revision-17B-compatible controllers which can enable/disable
   > Unit Attention as a formatting option (such as those from Seagate,
   > Rodime, et al).  Since the vast majority of Macintosh Plus computers
   > have the ROMs which cannot use Unit Attention drives, we still
   > recommend that you choose an SCSI controller that does not require the
   > Unit Attention feature.

   A close look to the CDC-WREN technical documentation reveals: this drive
   does *not* offer enabling/disabling Unit Attention. I can only speak for
   the model WREN IV that I have, but I believe the model WREN V does not
   differ in that point. But this is not a 'mistake in one particular SCSI
   function': The Mac Plus'es SCS-Interface was designed *before* the
   standardisation of SCSI was complete. Probably the 'special Mac Version'
   of the CDC disk just allows to disable the unit attention condition.

2) I could not set the startup disk to be the WREN until I opened my Mac
   SE and changed the SCSI-Device-Number of the internal drive (20MB) to a
   value greater than the SCSI number of the WREN. I first tried with
   Ephraim's SCSI Driver (SF&I). The disk drive worked with it but...
   Then I bought the SCSI Development Package to write my own driver (in LSC).
   Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem 2). Probably, the latter
   problem is also related to the Unit Attention Condition. A problem
   solved by my owm driver was the support of drive partitioning.

Questions:

- Is there really no newer version of the SCSI-Dev. Package
  than 1.0 (Dated 1986)? This Version does *not* conform to 'Inside
  Macintosh' Vol. V.

- Where does the Control Panel DA store the startup device? I found this
  nowhere in IM. (There is only a single bit in the parameter RAM to
  select internal/external (floppy) drive).

- Is it possible to disable Unit Attention on a CDC drive which is not
  a special Mac version? (probably just a jumper?)

- What is the behavior of the SE ROM code when booting from SCSI and the
  device reports an error (Unit Attention)? are there retries first or
  does the code pass on to the next drive? (this would explain why the
  ability to boot depends on the drive numbers).

Any hints are appeciated.

Adrian Weiler (MIWE001@DTUZDV5A.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: 10 Feb 89 21:00:21 GMT
From: kiron@sunkisd.CS.Concordia.CA (Kiron Bondale)
Subject: Dungeon Winner
[Dungeon Winner]

The Dungeon Winner is a character modifier for John Raymonds' Dungeon
of Doom and also for The Dungeon Revealed.  It allows the user to
change various character attributes.  It is a shareware product.

Kiron D. Bondale         Concordia University, Mtl, Quebec, Canada
"Never mourn Black Omne"-|_|-Habitat:kiron@sunkisd.CS.Concordia.CA

[Archived as /info-mac/game/dungeon-of-doom-winner.hqx; 24K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 89 07:47:38 EST
From: Rob Chandhok <Ravinder.Chandhok@CS.CMU.EDU>
Subject: EtherTalk and Virtual

>From info-mac:

>Date: Mon, 13 Feb 89 18:03:57 +0100
>From: Sigurd Meldal <sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no>
>Subject: Virtual - some praise, some problems

>least one exception applies, though).

The symptoms you describe can be narrowed down to "Virtual does not work
when using Ethertalk".  When you use the Apple EtherTalk card with SU-MacIP
or NCSA (configured properly), they access the card directly, and attach
their own protocol handlers for IP.  Thus, they operate completely
independantly of the current AppleTalk driver.

I am interested in this interaction since I have seen weird things happen
with Ethertalk in general, like dropping interrupts, crashing, etc.  I
haven't been able to isolate it as well as you, however.  Any other stories
about EtherTalk oddities would be welcomed.

Rob Chandhok
School of Computer Science, CMU

------------------------------

Date: 9 Feb 89 09:00:34 GMT
From: johnr@runx.ips.oz.au (John Rotenstein)
Subject: init cdev -- INIT management utility
[init cdev -- INIT management utility]

Are you plagued by that modern-day irritation experienced by a majority
of Macintosh users?  Do you wish you could stop that clock from
interfering with your game of Continuum?  Or do you just enjoy
collecting more?

init cdev enables you to activate and deactivate INITs and cdevs at
startup or in the Control Panel.  No longer need you move INITs to and
>From your System Folder.

Distributed under the HappiWare System:
IF YOU LIKE IT, REMEMBER TO SMILE!

johnr@runx.ips.oz.au (John Rotenstein)

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/init-manager.hqx; 19K]

------------------------------

Date: 8 Feb 89 08:00:45 GMT
From: freek@uva.UUCP (Freek Wiedijk)
Subject: Key Finder DA
[Key Finder DA]

I wrote this desk accessory for those people who, like me, always forget
that the way to type the sign for set inclusion (in the Symbol font) is
"option-n shift-a". (Or was it "option-n shift-o"? :-) )

--
Freek Wiedijk <the Pistol Major>                   UUCP: uunet!mcvax!uva!freek
#P:+/ = #+/P?*+/ = i<<*+/P?*+/ = +/i<<**P?*+/ = +/(i<<*P?)*+/ = +/+/(i<<*P?)**

[Archived as /info-mac/da/key-finder.hqx; 12K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 89 11:28:30 CST
From: "C.K.Farn" <HT6B0001%TWNMOE10.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Questions on Mac/Ethernet Connection, running TCP/IP or DECNet

Hello,

I have a problem on networking and hope someone can help me.
We are currently running an Ethernet with two types of Hosts: VAX 8650/VMS,
HP 9000-825/UNIX, SUN/UNIX, and a micro VAXIII running ULTRIX serving as a
gateway between DECNET and TCP/IP.  IBM compatible PCs are connected on
the network.  I have a MacII and a MacSE whcih I want to get on to the
network, to be able to use all the hosts stated above (we may even get an
IBM 9370/VM which will have an Ethernet comms option).

I think K-Fastpath will be too much for me given only two Macs, I am now
considering 3-Com EtherLink Cards.  Can anyone who tried this alternative
please tell me whether it is good?  What software (one both the Mac end
and on the TCP/IP and DECNet hosts) must I use to at least be able to
do terminal emulation and file transfer?

Best Regards.

Best Regards,
Best Regards,
         Farn
+----------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
 C.K.Farn                    Department of Information Management
 National Central University BITNET:  HT6B0001 @ TWNMOE10
 Chung-li, Taiwan            HT6B0001%TWNMOE10.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
 Republic of China           Tel:(03)422-7151x6160  Fax:(03)422-2416
+----------------------------+-----------------------------------------+

Acknowledge-To: <HT6B0001@TWNMOE10>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 89 08:39:09 PDT
From: Carl Benson <CARL%FHCRCVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Radius vs Kurta

I'd been using a Kurta IS/ADB graphics tablet on my Mac SE for a month
or so before making my big upgrade for the year, a Radius Full Page
Display.  The FPD is beautiful, but surprise -- the IS/ADB no longer
functions other than as a very expensive mouse.  According to Kurta tech
support, this is because the Radius software doesn't follow Apple guide-
lines in some way.  Radius has provided a patch to allow the older Kurta
IS/One serial tablets to work on the SE, but refuses (so far) to make a
patch for the IS/ADB.

Kurta said they don't seem to be able to change their Penworks software
to return the full functionality to the tablet.

While the group of people who need both a big display and graphics tablet
is rather small, I think it could grow a lot because this is such a
tremendous combination of tools.  For drawing applications, a tablet beats
a mouse in many ways.

The Mac II doesn't have this problem apparently; only the SE.

------------------------------

Date: 2 Feb 89 14:00:49 GMT
From: sw@kernel.co.uk (Sak Wathanasin)
Subject: tar 1.2.1
[tar 1.2.1]

I received the following bug report about the version of tar that I
posted recently.  Since the application is small, I am attaching a
binary of the corrected application.  Those of with sources should
apply the fix shown below.

>Msg#:24826 *MACDEV*
>04-01-89 19:10:29 (Read 5 Times)
>From: PAUL RUSSELL
>  To: SAK WATHANASIN
>Subj: BUG REPORT
> Sak --
>
> I expect this has already been reported, but there's a bug in the tar
>sources you posted recently. In 'create.c', the following line:
>
>  SFPutFile(where, "\pName of TAR file", NIL, NIL, &reply);
>
> should really be:
>
>  SFPutFile(where, "\pName of TAR file", "\p", NIL, &reply);
>
>or something similar. This bug causes a garbage default file name in the
>Standard File dialog - not serious I know, but then I'm a perfectionist ;-)
>
> -- Paul

Apologies to those inconvenienced by the problem.

Sak Wathanasin

uucp:	...!ukc!kernel!sw
JANET:  sw@uk.co.kernel
BITNET: sw%kernel.co.uk%ukc.ac.uk@ukacrl.bitnet
other:	sw@kernel.co.uk
phone:	(+44) 532 444566
snail:	Kernel Technology Ltd, 46 The Calls, Leeds LS2 7EY

[Archived as /info-mac/util/tar-121.hqx; 30K]

End of Info-Mac Digest