Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (02/24/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 23 Feb 89       Volume 7 : Issue  39

Today's Topics:
                     astronomical demonstrations
             caution/question on vertical mounting Mac II
                    DBecque%UMass.BITNET about HDI
                         Developer Stack 1.2r
                       Ehternet boards for MAC
                               EndNote
               exotic character sets for wordprocessing
                      Hard Drives International
                          Hello from trebor
         I knew I tasted a "worm" in that Apple somewhere ...
                       Japanese Wordprocessing
                   Jasmine AppleShare box (2 msgs)
                       LISP (or LOGO) needed?!
                   MacTerminal file incompatibility
                              Moire 2.22
                      Posting: Character Map DA
                     Print Drivers for HP Deskjet
                          speech recognition
                           tn.0289.upd.hqx
                          Virus Encyclopedia

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 12:42 EST
From: MCCALL%QUASAR@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: astronomical demonstrations

I just bought a Mac SE/30 to aid in teaching astronomy.  I am particularly
interested in using animation to demonstrate basic astronomical concepts.
For example, I think that the concept of the stellar parallax might become
more clear by showing simultaneously a window with the Earth going
around the Sun and another window with a star moving back and forth
with respect to background stars.  Is there software around which can
be used to create demos like this relatively easily?  I have heard that
VideoWorks II might be useful.  Does anyone have any experience with it.
Or would it be better to create demos myself by writing my own software?
If so, what language might be the best for doing this?  Keep in mind that
I am not a hacker and my background is in Fortran.  Does anyone know
of any astronomical demonstrations already developed for teaching purposes?
I have already purchased Voyager.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Please send E-mail to Marshall McCall
at bitnet address FS300050@YUSOL.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 89 17:44:25 PST
From: mse@b2red.caltech.edu (Martin Ewing)
Subject: caution/question on vertical mounting Mac II

When it comes to mounting the Mac II in a non-standard orientation, I
would worry about whether your hard disk prefers to have its rotation
axis vertical.  I.e., is your bearing life going to be reduced by
running the disk on its side?

I've heard various stories; can someone make a definitive statement?

Martin Ewing
Caltech Radio Astronomy

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 89 22:28 CST
From: <BPB9204%TAMSTAR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DBecque%UMass.BITNET about HDI

Hard Drive International deals with bare drives by volume, which translates
into great prices.
        About six months ago I realized my need for a hard drive - then I
could manage ONE system file, ansrt, no switching floppies
anymore.  I asked a couple friends, and was told by three different sources
to go with HDI.  I decided to, and now I have a 65meg drive for barely
more than $500.
        HDI's service: HDI has a tech support number, and another 800 number
for customer inquiries.  I had first hand experience with both because, un-
fortunately, the first Seagate drive I received was defective.  It was
noisy, and then died after three weeks of light use.  I notified HDI, re-
turned the Seagate drive, and received a new drive for no extra $$$.
I am totally satisfied with HDI's service.
        If you are interested, I have the necessary instructions for
assembling a drive.  It doesn't take much to assemble a drive, it's just
a matter of mouting the drive in a case and connecting three cables to the
drive.  It took me about an hour and a half to do that AND check all
possible connections three more times.
        For more info, just reply to:

+--------------------+----------------------------------------------+
| Brent Burton       | Hey, hey, no affiliation with HDI(I'm just a |
| BPB9204@TAMVENUS   |    customer) but some with Salman Rushdie.   |
+--------------------+---------+ Go ahead, MAKE MY DAY. +-----------+
                               +------------------------+

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 11:46:26 CST
From: CB Lih <CL06076@UAFSYSB>
Subject: Developer Stack 1.2r

Hello. I've been using Developer Stack 1.2r.  Certain movements within
this stack will cause HyperCard to 'unexpectedly quit'.  I can make it
do this by using the index button and going to card 'System Messages'.
After it unexpectedly quits, I'm put back into a pseudo finder, ie it
looks like finder and objects can be manipulated, but there's no menu.
Double clicking on a stack icon will place the word HyperCard at the
top of the screen and then the machine freezes.  I'm using a MacSE with
4meg ram, System 6.0.2, Finder 6.1, MultiFinder 6.0, HyperCard 1.2.2.
I use several inits and will list them if someone thinks they might
contain the problem.
  Has anyone run into this?  Does anyone know why it happens?  Is there
anyway to recover short of a restart?   Thanks,
      =---> CB Lih <---=  "Picked up for questioning."
Macintosh Support                         ::
BITNET:     CL06076@UAFSYSB               ::   //^^\\      ::^^\\
AppleLink:  U0669                         ::   ::          ::   ::
US Mail: ADSB 220, University of Arkansas ::   ::          ::__/
         155 Razorback Road               ::   ::          ::  \
         Fayetteville, AR 72701           ::   ::      _   ::   ::  _
         501-575-2905                     ::   \\__// :_:  ::__//  :_:

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 09:17:56 MST
From: mwalters@Outlaw.UWyo.Edu (Michael Joe Walters)
Subject: Ehternet boards for MAC

We are interested in hooking up our Macintoshes to a Novell network running
the new version 2.15 that supports Macs. My question is what ethernet boards
do people recommend and what experiences have you had with version 2.15.

We have heard that Micom-Interlan is selling a board, NI9210, for Macs.
Any help would be appreciated.

Wyoming         Michael Walters                   Bitnet:
Higher          Associate Director, WHECN            MWalters@UWYO.BITNET
Education       Box 3945 University Station
Computer        Laramie, WY   82071-3945          Internet:
Network             1-307-766-4881                   MWalters@CORRAL.UWYO.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 11:15:15 -0600
From: David Rudolph <rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu>
Subject: EndNote

>> It is reasonably intelligent about formatting the various media entries
>> (book vs. mag vs. ...), but you cannot change its default formats.  If you
>> want a different format, you must change it after the bib is generated.

This is not true.  Endnote is extremely flexible; virtually and default
setting, including formats for books vs magazines, etc, can easily be
changed

David Rudolph	rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 09:42:03 CST
From: Gerald Kutish <ACRC0008%UNLVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: exotic character sets for wordprocessing

Can anyone suggest good, cheap wordprocessing packages in
the Macintosh which will do Japanese, Chinese, Russian,
Arabic, Hindi or other exotic character sets and diacritical marks?

Thanks

gerald kutish
326 administration
university of nebrsaka
lincoln, ne  68588
402-472-5108

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 89 21:08:36 EST
From: Alan Stein <STEIN%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hard Drives International

>DBecque%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu asked:

>In the Feb issue of MacWorld there was an interesting add on page 258
>for hard drives.  Being in the market, I took note of it and realized
>that these were some to the best prices I'd seen.  But, I'm not sure
>that I understand the deal, are these kits that you put together
>yourself or what (in the small print it says the drive comes with an
>external case, well I hope so!!)?  Has anyone had any experience with
>this company: Hard Drives International?  Thanks

  I recently bought a 46 Meg SCSI (Miniscribe) from HDI for my Apple IIGS.
It came completely assembled and formatted.  All I had to do was plug it
in and, because it was formatted for a Mac, do a high-level format for
Prodos.  Once I found it worked, I recommended that a non-profit
organization I volunteer for buy one for one of its Macs.  It came
yesterday and I installed it today.  It took about a minute.
  The only problems I found were:  in both cases, they took over a month
to ship (while they had immediately charged our credit cards) and there
is no documentation on the hardware.
  Basically, they buy hard drives from the name brand manufacturers
(Seagate, Miniscribe), buy cases with power supplies, put them together,
put them in a box and ship them.
  They also sell kits, but I believe the kits actually wind up being
at least as expensive as the assembled drives.

------------------------------

Date: Wed Feb 22 09:27:10 1989
From: biar!trebor@rochester.UUCP
Subject: Hello from trebor

Greetings.  It had to happen; I'm finally on Usenet.  I'm the author of the
anti-virus programs INTERFERON and VIREX.  I want to take a minute of your
time to answer a couple of the most frequent questions I get about these
programs in order to stem the huge tide of calls I get every day.

Interferon : PLEASE IGNORE Anomalies; System 6.0+ and other programs breed
them like flies.  Use Anomalies like this; run the check and note which
files generate Anomalies.  Wait a week and run the check again.  If files
that were not generating Anomalies start doing so, you have a virus that
Interferon doesn't directly detect.  Interferon detects Scores, nVIR and
a hypothetical "Sneak"; it does not detect Hpat, INIT29 or ANTI.  DO NOT
USE THE ERADICATE OPTION; it has a bug.  Kill files in the finder instead.

The Vision Fund : I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone
who has sent in a donation to The Vision Fund for Interferon.  We have
collected much more that was expected, and have already purchased a
special video magnifying machine for the beneficiary.

Virex : was updated to v1.3 last week to kill ANTI.  If you purchase a
"stale" copy (eg:<v1.3) you'll be automatically updated when you send in
your registration card.  I also made some user interface enhancements
based on user suggestions; if you have suggestions, let me know.

New viruses : Virex will be updated as quickly as possible whenever a new
virus is discovered.  If you find a new virus, contact me as quickly as
possible.  The first person to report a new virus gets a free copy of the
new version that kills it.

Robert J Woodhead     ...!uunet!cornell!biar!trebor     CompuServe 72447,37
Biar Games, Inc., 10 Spruce Lane, Ithaca NY 14850  (607)257-1708, 3864(fax)

Games written, Viruses killed     "I'm the head honcho of this here spread;
While U Wait.  Take a number.      I don't need no stinking disclaimers!!!"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1989 9:13:03 CST
From: Werner Uhrig <werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu>
Subject: I knew I tasted a "worm" in that Apple somewhere ...

	[ a friend beat me to typing this in. (thanks, Jim)
	  it also made the national TV-news this morning ]

Thought you'd get a chuckle out of this.  From the
_Austin_American-Statesman_ Thursday, Feb. 23, 1989, reprinted
without permission:

     LONDON -

     The company representing the disbanded pop group the Beatles is
     suing Apple Computer Inc. in a dispute over the use of the
     "apple" trademark, a lawyer for the company said Wednesday.

     Nicholas Valner said Apple Corps Ltd. filed a lawsuit in the
     High Court in London, accusing the California computer company
     of violating a 1981 agreement.  Under that agreement, Apple
     Computer, founded in 1977, paid the Beatles an unknown amount
     [!] for the right to keep using the famous apple trademark.

     But the Apple Corps says Apple Computer violated stipulations
     not to use the trademark "on any apparatus specifically
     designed and intended for synthesizing music," he said.

     Over the past few years, the computer company has developed
     top-selling hardware with music synthesizing capabilities.
     Apple Computer's latest, top-of-the-line Apple II (sic) and
     Macintosh personal computers come equipped with circuitry that
     allows them to play and synthesize music.

     'It's a clear violation of the agreement," said Wayne Cooper,
     an attorney for the recording company, which is equally owned
     by Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Ringo Starr and the estate
     of the late John Lennon.  "If the computer company wants to
     sell machines that make music, they will have to become banana
     or peach, or something."

     The suit seeks a court order requiring the computer company to
     withdraw all products violating the 1981 agreement and pay
     past-due royalties - plus 15 percent interest - on all sales of
     music-making computers.  Dataquest, a computer market research
     company in San Jose, Calif., estimates that Apple Computer has
     sold about 1 million computers with music-making capabilities.

     Cooper estimated that past-due royalties could amount to $50
     million to $200 million.

     A spokesman for Apple COmputer declined to comment on the suit
     or the ongoing dispute.

     Analysts said the music company may be moving to protect its
     position before its claim to the trademark is lost due to lack
     of enforcement of its original contractual rights.

     Apple Corps was founded in 1067 and its activities included
     music releases under the Apple label and a chain of clothing
     stores.  The Beatles broke up in 1970.  Some Apple Computer
     histories trace the name to co-founder Steven Jobs memories of
     working in the Oregon apple country, where he became convinced
     apples are a perfect food.

Well, there you have it.  Proof positive that there are too many
lawyers in this small world of ours.  Gack.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 10:29:07 GMT
From: Stuart MacFarlane <mcvax!hci.hw.ac.uk!stuartm@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: Japanese Wordprocessing

 I'd like to find out about Japanese language wordprocessing software
 for the Mac (Plus or SE). I've heard of something called Kanjitalk,
 but don't know exactly what it is, or how to get it. I'd welcome
 names, addresses, prices, opinions, etc. on this or any other system.

 Please mail me, and I'll post a summary.

Stuart MacFarlane             ARPA:  stuartm@hci.hw.ac.uk
Scottish HCI Centre,          UUCP:  ..{backbone}!mcvax!ukc!hwcs!hci!stuartm
Heriot-Watt University,       JANET: stuartm@uk.ac.hw.hci
Chambers Street, Edinburgh EH1 1HX Scotland      Tel: 031-225 8432 ext19

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 10:09:39 EST
From: ephraim@think.com
Subject: Jasmine AppleShare box

Greg Brail asks about the reality of the Jasmine AppleShare box.  It's
real.  Last time I spoke to Tim Standing at Jasmine, he was hard at
work on it and full of optimism about the results.  I didn't ask him
about pricing and I honestly don't recall what he said about shipping
dates.

"Apparently, it's just a hardware box with a LocalTalk connector and
7(!) SCSI ports."

It supports seven SCSI *devices*, just like any Mac with a SCSI port.
It only has one SCSI *port*.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

	"Arlo Guthrie, it seems, has found what he was looking for:
		God, and the Macintosh." (Boston Globe)

------------------------------

Date: 23 Feb 89 16:08:23 GMT
From: steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield)

Yesterday I received in the mail Jasmine's product brochure which
leads off with its new "DirectServe TM Dedicated File Server."
The list is $1,299. It has a 68010 running at 10 MHz, comes with
standard 1MB memory which can be upgraded to 2 or 4 MB. Jasmine
says it can accommodate up to 40 users and/or bridges.

You have to separately purchase an SCSI hard disk to attach to
the server. Jasmine's main claim to speed is that its processor
doesn't have to drive a video display, keyboard, or mouse.

Jasmine's number is 1-800-347-3228; Pacific Time.

------------------------------

Date: 23 Feb 89 06:39 EST
From: science@nems.arpa (Mark Zimmermann)
Subject: LISP (or LOGO) needed?!

Help!  I've begun working with a friend's "Object Logo" and want to buy
a copy for myself (or a similarly-priced LISP) -- but phone calls to Coral
Software indicate that they aren't selling or supporting it any more, now
that Apple owns them.  XLISP is ok but I need a faster LISP or Logo and can't
afford the $500+ pricetags for fancy things.  Any advice on where I could
find a good LISP/Logo these days?  Are Expertelligence's products worth
considering?  Tnx -- ^z -- science@nems.arpa
-------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 10:09:54 EST
From: Jonathan K. Millen <jkm@mbunix.mitre.org>
Subject: MacTerminal file incompatibility

Anyone know why, when I open MacTerminal, it puts up a dialog
saying "This file is incompatible with the current version
of MacTerminal"?  It happens on opening either the application
iteself or a document just created by MacTerminal.  The text
in the file is remembered, but all settings are lost.
I have MacTerminal 2.2, System 4.2, Finder 6.0, on a Plus with 1 Meg,
not running Multifinder.
-Jon Millen
jkm@mitre.org

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 89 22:04:12 EST
From: Timothy Miller <CC002160%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Moire 2.22

I noticed that the sumex-aim archives only have version 2.12 of Moire, but the
ones at umn-cs.cs.umn.edu have version 2.22, so here's the newer version. The
doc (included) says that the changes are:

>This version fixes the problems with Kermit, etc. Also fixes a problem with
>multiple screens, and now handles 12/24 hour settings properly. The speed
>settings have also been modified, and the speed differential between
>the lowest and highest settings is more noticable now. Furthermore Moire is
>now 100% compatible with Font/DA Juggler.

   Tim

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/moire-222.hqx; 40K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 14:16:47 EDT
From: Guenther Blaschek <K331671%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Posting: Character Map DA

This is Character Map DA, a tiny but helpful tool for all those who
are - like me - tired of the trial-and-error character search with
Key Caps. Character Map shows a map of all characters available in
in any of your fonts. To insert a character into your word processor
document, simply click on it and there you are. No more looking up
rare characters in home-grewn tables or fumbling around with the
modifier keys in Key Caps. Moreover, Character Map is even capable
of inserting characters that do not have keyboard equivalents (e.g.
the check mark in the Chicago font, when you don't have a CNTL key).
The best thing is: Character Map is FREE (after all, it took me not
more than three hours to write it; so, how could I charge anything
for it?).
A short documentation (in both TEXT and WriteNow format) is included.
Enjoy it.
    e                           Guenther Blaschek
   gu                    EMail: <K331671@AEARN>
                         SNail: University of Linz / Austria
                                Institute of Computer Science / Software
                                Altenbergerstr. 69
                                A-4040 Linz
                         Tel.:  +43 (732) 2468 / 447

[Archived as /info-mac/da/character-map.hqx; 9K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 13:26:10 EST
From: A. Moiseff <MOISEFF%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Print Drivers for HP Deskjet

Does anyone have experience with any of the print drivers for either the
HP Laserjet II or HP Deskjet printers?  There have been several drivers
advertised but I have not been able to find any performance specs.
Specifically  - print speed and whether special font images (e.g.,
3X sizes) are required.

Please respond via BITNET:  MOISEFF@UCONNVM.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed 22 Feb 89 21:59:16-PST
From: TOM MALER <RIORDAN.MALER@bionet-20.bio.net>
Subject: speech recognition

Hello

I am looking for an inexpensive speech recognition system for the Mac
(for example an external serial device), that could recognize 4-8 words.
I need something pre-cooked or very well documented.
I cannot do the development work myself. If you know of something like
that or have any syggestions, please send me a message.

Thanks a lot

Tom Maler
44 George Street
Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada, M8V2S2
416-2524789
416-3695814

-------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 89 16:48:03 PST
From: Mark B. Johnson <mjohnson@apple.com>
Subject: tn.0289.upd.hqx

This file contains the complete set of February 1989 Technical Notes, including
a revision to the Script Manager 2.0 document.  This release includes revisions
to Notes 129, 171, and 176, New Notes 222-227, and an update to Note 0 and
the Index.  With this release, the format has also changed, so the necessary
laser fonts and the Font/DA Mover are also included.

[Archived as /info-mac/tn/tns-feb89-part1.hqx; 159K
             /info-mac/tn/tns-feb89-part2.hqx; 159K
             /info-mac/tn/tns-feb89-part3.hqx; 150K

 In order to make things more convenient, we are going to be maintaining the
 latest tech note release as one StuffIt archive in addition to the individual
 files. That way if all you need is the latest revisions/additions, you can
 pull them out of the archive with a minimum of fuss. Of course, we'll keep
 on updating and adding individual tech notes. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 02:32:02 -0600
From: Robert J. Hammen <hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: Virus Encyclopedia

This posting contains the Virus Encyclopedia HyperCard stack by Henry C.
Schmitt. It's a fairly informative stack detailing most of the Mac viruses and
it gives a brief description of most of the anti-viral utilities. Some of
the information is out of date, but at the rate this situation changes, it's
not surprising, and it doesn't really reduce the value of the stack.

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/virus-encyclopedia.hqx; 70K]

End of Info-Mac Digest