Date: Fri, 24 Feb 89 09:35 EST
From: Roberta Russell <PRUSSELL%OBERLIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: AppleShare 2.0 and PageMaker

I manage a Macintosh network running AppleShare 2.0 FileServer and
PrintServer.  Users on the network have the option of downloading server
software or using their own.  All printing jobs, regardless of software,
are spooled to the server.

I am the only person who can write to the server.  Yesterday I noticed
three new document files (generic document icon) in the system folder:
                                      (creator)  (type)
               0Aldus1.2Prep    36k     asps      lspt
               0Aldus1.2PrepS    6k     asps      lspt
               0Aldus1.2Prep     0k     asps      lsqt

The files were in a print queue folder called Q_0aserWriter II_*
together with the usual queue and log files for the LaserWriter.
Since PageMaker is NOT one of the programs on our server, someone has
obviously used an outdated (and probably pirated) floppy copy to do some
printing.  If anyone knows how these files are created and how I can keep
them off the server, please let me know.  Many thanks.

     Robin Russell
     Oberlin College Computing Center
     prussell@oberlin

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 14:32 EST
From: "Thomas R. Blake" <TBLAKE@bingvaxb.cc.binghamton.edu>
Subject: Computer Care Inc.  (SOFTSTEP SIMMs)

Folks,

	I have a user who is interested in purchasing SOFTSTEP memory upgrades
for his Mac II.  These are produced by a Minneapolis company called Computer
Care Inc.  (I haven't heard of SOFTSTEP or C.C. Inc. before).

	Does anybody have experience with these products, or this company?
(Good, Bad, Indifferent?)

	The user already has 2 Meg in his machine.
	The SOFTSTEP product is a .75 Meg SIMM with another socket built onto
the end, so that you plug your original .25 Meg into the end, and voila, you
have a 1 Meg SIMM!  (Another product, allows you to combine 4 .25 Meg SIMMs
into 1 1 Meg.  They provide products for II's, and SE/Plus's)

	Any information would be appreciated, if there is enough interest, I'll
summarize to the net.

TBLAKE@BINGVAXB.BITNET				Thomas R. Blake
tblake@bingvaxb.cc.binghamton.edu		Lead Programmer/Analyst
						Academic Computing
						SUNY-Binghamton
						Binghamton, NY  13901
						(607) 777-6008

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 20:57 EDT
From: Mike Kirby <MPK9172%ritvax.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: CORE/GKS

Does anyone know of a GKS/CORE implementation of the graphics standard
that has binding to C?  I have implemented a good portion of the
CORE standard for one of my classes. (all 2 d transformations and
segments.  I do not really want to do the 3-d and user interface
stuff if I can avoid it.  If noone else has done it, then are there
anyone out there that would be interested in me porting CORE to
the Mac?  I figure if I've already done most of the work, why not
finish it up.  I did most of the three-d perspective transformation
matricies for another project, and that includes three-d matrix
manipulation routines for a good portion of the scale/rotate/translate
commands.

Also, are there any extensions that (within reason...I'm not gonna
do the PHIGS thing.) people might want to see?

later,
mike

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 89 12:28:41 PST
From: carlton%betelgeuse.Berkeley.EDU@berkeley.edu (Mike Carlton)
Subject: Digest posting

> From: Jonathan K. Millen <jkm@mbunix.mitre.org>
> Subject: MacTerminal file incompatibility
>
> Anyone know why, when I open MacTerminal, it puts up a dialog
> saying "This file is incompatible with the current version
> of MacTerminal"?  It happens on opening either the application
> iteself or a document just created by MacTerminal.  The text
> in the file is remembered, but all settings are lost.
> I have MacTerminal 2.2, System 4.2, Finder 6.0, on a Plus with 1 Meg,
> not running Multifinder.
> -Jon Millen
> jkm@mitre.org

A similar problem happened to me.  I traced the problem to having McSink v5.0d
installed, removing McSink fixed the problem.   Another fix was to create a
MacTerminal document on another system (without McSink) and transfer the
document to the first system.  I was able to use this document to open
MacTerminal with no problems.

I would guess the problem is a resource that McSink installs which confuses
MacTerminal, although I haven't verified this.

Regards,
Mike   (carlton@ji.berkeley.edu   or   ...!ucbvax!ji!carlton)

------------------------------

Date: 23 Feb 89 06:00:35 GMT
From: md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh)
Subject: Fun in Space
[Fun in Space]

This the wild and exciting game-Fun In Space.  It was created and
programmed entirely by Eric Snider (my Roommate).  It's even in color
on the Mac II!

Have some fun in space!!!

[Archived as /info-mac/game/fun-in-space.hqx; 17K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24-Feb-89 09:27:01 PST
From: portal!cup.portal.com!LaserMan@sun.com
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #39

Martin Ewing asked about mounting the MacII on its side and the impact on disk
drive spindle bearings. He asked if someone can make a definitive statement.

I have a copy of the Quantum Q80S application manual and it specifically
states that orientation in any axis is acceptable. I also called and talked
to the V.P. of Engineering at Quantum about this. Mr. Shelton stated that this
was the case but did reccomend that the drive be reformatted in the
orientation it was to be used in. The Quantum is is standard drive used by
Apple in the MacII. I also talked to a number of other people in the disk
drive industry and they all felt that their mechanisms would work in any
orientation as well. What I heard off the record is that all drives are tested
in the normal orientation and all life test data is based on that. Hence some
manufacturers put a disclaimer in their manual about mounting in any position
other than horizontial/PCB down. In talking to drive designers it is clear
that no technical reason exisits to restrict mounting of the devices. One
thing did emerge and that is that since the vertical mounts are less stable
the chance of inadvertantly kicking the machine and shocking the drive is much
higher with a vertical mount some engineers reccomended against it on that
basis. In visiting three major drive makers I noticed MANY vertically mounted
machines in each company even if they recommended against doing it.
Bob Murrow
laserman@cup.portal.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 89 11:43:12 PST
From: halff@NPRDC.NAVY.MIL (Henry Halff)
Subject: LISP (or LOGO) needed?!

> Help!  I've begun working with a friend's "Object Logo" and want to buy a copy
> for myself (or a similarly-priced LISP) -- but phone calls to Coral Software
> indicate that they aren't selling or supporting it any more, now that Apple
> owns them.

What a disaster!  Object Logo is one of the nicest object-oriented languages
around.  Apple, if you're out there listening, do yourself a favor and find
some way of supporting the product, and Pearl Lisp too.  I'm sure that you are
aware of your presence in the educational community and of Logo's popularity
there as well.  Our local high schools are installing Macs in computer-science
labs and may one day find it advantageous to use them in lower grades as well.
If you promise to get support for Object Logo, I'll promise to tell our
computer-science people that it's not just a kids' language.

hh

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 89 9:11:40 EST
From: "Hugh A. Huntzinger" (CCL-S) <huntzing@ardec.arpa>
Subject: Non-proportional fonts

I'm looking for a "old fashioned" non-proportional font, any style.
The application is to use Word to view & output captured text streams from
Versaterm.  The info is formatted 132 columns wide & proportional text
defeats the columnation the mainframe did.  Any suggestions?

Direct is huntzing@ardec.arpa  ...or...    huntzing@pica.army.mil
(they're in the process of changing the mailers

Thanks!

-hummer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 14:32:22 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Patrick Arnold <ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Numerical Methods Stack

Hello there,

    Enclosed is a "Numerical Methods" HyperCard stack, StuffIted and BinHexed
(so I owe Raymond Lau $20).  The stack contains HyperTalk methods for solving
numerical problems along with some instructions on how to use them.  There
is one XFCN method, and I plan to write more as time permits.  This won't teach
anybody how to use the methods, but for those who are interested, this may be
some fun to toy around with.  It is shareware $12, but you can "try it out"
indefinitely if you like, as long as you don't gain any productivity by it.

- Brian

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/numerical-methods.hqx; 116K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 11:11:40 PST
From: PUGH@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Volume XCMDs

Here is a simple stack with the GetVolume and SetVolume commands
in it.  They allow you to control the Mac's volume from Hypercard.
Included is a button that behaves like the standard Mac volume
control.  The SetVolume XCMD actually changes the Control Panel's
volume also.

Once again, this is free and sleazy.

Jon

N         L                   pugh@nmfecc.arpa
 M    A    L   National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
  F    T    N      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
   E         L                PO Box 5509 L-561
    C                    Livermore, California 94550
     C                         (415) 423-4239

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/xcmd-volume.hqx; 7K]

End of Info-Mac Digest