Date: Sat, 25 Feb 89 20:14 EST
From: Timothy Stark <11TSTARK%GALLUA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Complaint: MAC ROMS

Hello Users:

   MAC emulation for Amiga:

   I received a mail from someone about MAC ROMS. He said me that they
changed a lot about MAC ROMS. Most will not sell MAC ROMS. A few increase
MAC ROMs a price much. I get very angry with them. Why did Apple, Inc not
want sell MAC roms to third party company (ReadySoft, Atari, etc.. for
MAC emulation)? I will not buy MAC computer execpt MAC emulations unless
my demand met. Why does Apple, Inc not like MAC emulation? I am not like
Apple's bearucracy (sp?) It may cause Readysoft's bankrupt which sells
MAC emulation for my Amiga!

Thanks.

-- Tim Stark

Timothy Stark          |   Bitnet:      11tstark@gallua.bitnet           VMS
Gallaudet University   |   Internet:    11tstark@gallux.gallaudet.edu    UNIX
P.O. Box 1453          |   GEnie:       T.STARK1
Washington, DC 20002   |   People/Link: OCS130
U.S.A.                 |   QuantumLink: TimS18
Earth                  |   "Gallaudet University is the only university for
Solar System           |    the deaf in the world."
Milky Way              |

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 89 15:26 EST
From: Ted Nieland - SRL <@wpafb-aamrl.arpa:TNIELAND@FALCON>
Subject: Converting MACBinary files accessed through a file server

  I have a lot of files that are stored in MACBinary format on a VAX that
  has the AlisaTalk file server running on it.  Does there exist and
  application that I can run on the MAC to decode these files (accessing them
  using the file server).  The files are displayed on the MAC with the
  VMS file icon (indicating that the file server knows nothing about them)

  It would be a lot easier to decode this way then having to use Red Ryder,
  MAC Terminal, etc and KERMIT or X-MODEM to translate the files.

 |                M. Edward (Ted) Nieland - Systems Analyst                |
 |--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 | US Snail:                            | Arpa Internet:                   |
 | Systems Research Laboratories, Inc.  | TNIELAND@WPAFB-AAMRL.ARPA        |
 | 2800 Indian Ripple Road   WP 196     | TNIELAND%FALCON@WPAFB-AAMRL.ARPA |
 | Dayton, OH  45440                    |                                  |
 |--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 | A T & T:  (513) 255-8846/8760/5165                                      |

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 89 18:02:31 GMT
From: CYK10%PHOENIX.CAMBRIDGE.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: MiniScribe Hard Disk Mounting

Hello there!  I'm wondering if anybody has had this problem or knows of a
solution.  I bought a MiniScribe Hard Disk (model 8051S) a while ago as an
internal drive for my Mac SE. Unfortunately, the mounting that came with the
drive doesn't fit the space vacated by the upper floppy (it's much too big).
Right now all that's holding it in place is some Blu tack (!). Does anybody
know where I can get a proper mounting bracket for it?
I would appreciate any help sent direct to me. Thanks!

C Y Khoo
Queens' College
Cambridge

JANET:        CYK10@UK.AC.CAM.PHX
EARN/BITNET:  CYK10%UK.AC.CAM.PHX@UKACRL
ARPA:         CYK10%UK.AC.CAM.PHX@NSS.CS.UCL.AC.UK

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 89 16:06:08 MST
From: Andy <ZZMLAB%UALTAVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: No Multi-launc on system 6.0.2

     We have come across a great network utility that solves all of our
multi-launch problems with AppleShare. It is called DoppleMaker and was
a shareware product which has been considerably enhanced and is now being
distributed directly by the author. This program allows you to specify
how many copies of an application can be opened at a time. For example,
if you have a 20 node network but only have 5 copies of MacDraw, only
5 users can open it at one time. The sixth user gets a message that all
copies are in use. When one of the MacDraw users quits, DoppleMaker then
allows someone else to use it. It supports any number of applications and
works with everything we have thrown at it, including SuperPaint and
assorted programming languages. One added benefit is that it copy protects
the applications so that pirates are out of luck. This utility is the
answer for ensuring there is no copyright violation in a lab environment.
You can contact the author at:
     RB Consulting
     10168-88 Street
     Edmonton, Alberta CANADA
     T5H 1P3

Andy

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 89 15:52:32 MST
From: BBOLT%UALTAVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Setting AppleTalk node numbers

     I recently saw a reference to a public domain program that could
be used to see node hint numbers on Macs on an AppleTalk network.
This would seem to be a very handy utility that could be used to identify
computers on a network using something like AT View. Nodes could be
assigned room numbers, station numbers or whatever. I think the name
was Set Node. If anyone has this, I would appreciate it if you would
 send it to me or let  me know where I could find it. Thanks.

Bob Bolt
Microcomputer Coordinator
University of Alberta

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 89 11:46:36 PST
From: riley%cs@ucsd.edu (Chris Riley)
Subject: USDebt 2.0 DA

This is an updated version of the United States National Debt
desk accessory, version 2.0.  The DA is still free.

It was entirely re-written to include various suggestions.
Improvements:
* Update faster and smoother.
* The display window is smaller so it uses up less of the display.
* The digits are easier to read since they are seperated
  by commas: eg 2,333,444,555,666.
* Saves its position if it is moved.
* Slightly smaller in physical size.

Click anywhere in the debt display window for information
on the DA.

[Archived as /info-mac/da/us-debt-20.hqx; 9K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 89 14:06 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: VirusDetective 2.1

VirusDetective is a DA for tracking down viruses (or any resources) in files.
You specify the resource type and optionally its size, name, id or size
range.  Once the offending resource is found it can optionally be removed
>From the file (use this feature with caution).  The user can update the
search list at any time.  Shareware.

Version 2.1 adds JData and Data searches for detecting ANTI and like viruses.

                                                        Jeff

uucp:     ...rutgers!yale!slb-sdr!shulman
CSNet:    SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM
Delphi:   JEFFS
GEnie:    KILROY
CIS:      76136,667
MCI Mail: KILROY

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/virus-detective-21.hqx; 56K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 89 21:18:51 PST
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: ZTerm 0.75

This four-part posting contains version 0.75 of ZTerm, a Mac terminal
emulator that supports XMODEM, YMODEM, and ZMODEM file transfer.  This
version replaces the 0.7 version posted back in January.

This version fixes a number of bugs... in particular, its VT-100
emulation is more compatible with curses-based editors (e.g. GNU Emacs
and vi) and with the rn news-reader.  [Turn off the auto-linefeed option
in the Setup... dialog box for maximum compatibility]. 7-bit-with-
parity terminal setups work better (although I've had a bit of trouble
with XON/XOFF flow control during ZMODEM uploads in this configuration;
I recommend 8-no-parity, no-extended-characters when calling Sun and
similar Unix systems).  ZTerm's keyboard remapping can be turned off;
this will apparently make ZTerm easier to use on non-U.S. Mac keyboards.

ZTerm is shareware, $30;  the author's name, address, and support info
is in the documentation, which is included in this posting.

Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:   coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,    ...@sun.com,    ...@uunet.uu.net
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

ZTerm 0.75  - detailed change history - 19 Feb 89

ZTerm v0.75 - 19 Feb 89 - program size: 120,105 bytes

* Added ReDial/Queue-dialing: setup names are marked when a Dial fails
  or by holding Shift when you select the setup name.  Dial Marked will
  cycle thru all marked setup entries.

* Added hardware handshake support (don't use with systems before 6.0:
  the Serial Driver can hang the system).

* Added support of YModem-G.

* Added cursor positioning by Option-clicking in the terminal window.

* Added purge buffer command and clear screen command.

* Added escape control char support in ZModem Parms.

* Send ZModem will now adjust block size if no errors and Auto selected.

* Added dialogs to edit the Macro strings & the modem init string.

* Modem init string is not sent at startup if default setup doesnt
  have a phone number (direct connect) or option is held down.

* Added Text pacing dialog to set wait for echo, or delay time.

* X/YModem receive now has 3 options: try CRC w/fallback to Checksum;
  Checksum only; CRC-1K request by sending CK.

* Fixed bug in YModem receive: it didn't know when to quit!

* Fixed MFS volume name display in transfer status.

* Fixed bug in restarting download of MacBinary file.

* AutoLF can now be turned off; when on it does LF when CR is received,
  but ignores a LF after a CR.

* VT100 keypad can be turned off to get just the chars marked on the
  key.

* Control chars can be entered in certain dialogs by typing a caret
  followed by the letter.

* Sends a break when Cmd-Enter is typed.

* Fixed the switch to 8 data bits (when set for 7) when starting
  ZModem receive.  It was changing the port setup while the first
  message was coming in, garbling it.

* Fixed text detection so Mac extended chars are allowed.

* Fixed clear screen (esc [ 2J) to NOT home the cursor.

* Fixed save cursor/attributes to save text attributes and char set.

* Added handling of next_line sequence (esc E).

* Made the program somewhat more tolerant of running on older
  ROM/system, but I haven't tested this much.

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/zterm-075.hqx; 176K]

End of Info-Mac Digest