Date: 03 MAR 89 13:22:42 CST
From: Z4648252 <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN>
Subject: ARTICLE CONTRIBUTION

A user requested information about using a DeskJet and Grappler interface
     with a MAC.  The following is a review on using both the DeskJet printer
     and the interface.  I'm don't know how to route this to ".standford.edu"
     which is the partial address for article contributions.

[Archived as /info-mac/report/deskjet-grappler-interface.hqx; 10K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Mar 89 21:54:12 CST
From: skaistis@sleepy.cc.utexas.edu (Jeff Skastis)
Subject: chpcolor.sit.hqx

CheapColor 1.0.3 -- an application that converts PICT2 and PixelPaint docs
into PICT1 docs and prints them in color on an ImageWriter with a color
ribbon.  I have told it also works on a HP PaintJet.

This version fixes some bugs in version 1.0 and later versions

Works on a +/SE/II
                    -Jeff Skaistis

[Archived as /info-mac/app/cheapcolor-103.hqx; 90K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 89 9:48:16 PST
From: abbott.pa@xerox.com
Subject: Coral vs. Exper Lisp

Flash Sheridan <flash%cs.qmc.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk>'s posting is a little
out of date.  ExperTelligence is now marketing a completely different
implementation of Common Lisp from Procyon, an outfit in Cambridge,
England.  I don't know much about it (I use Coral myself), but it's not a
dog the way ExperCommonLisp was.

- Curtis Abbott

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 89 17:32:25 -0600
From: chrisj@emx.utexas.edu (Chris Johnson)
Subject: Gatekeeper v1.1

GateKeeper version 1.1 - Bugs fixed, features added, and finally ready.

Simply put, GateKeeper attempts to make it impossible (or as difficult as
possible) for viruses to spread or function successfully in its domain.  It
does so by monitoring and limiting access to certain system operations on
which viruses depend.  Thus GateKeeper is a general purpose tool in the fight
against viruses, as opposed to programs written to stop only a specific virus
or set of viruses.

Once configured, GateKeeper operates without the need for intervention by the
user.  It provides facilities for warning the user of its intervention in the
operation of the system, but will never require that the user to make
decisions on-the-fly about what operations should be allowed to occur or
forced to fail.  GateKeeper ensures that such decisions are made automatically,
transparently to the user and with total consistency.  It will also, if
requested, keep a detailed log of all such decisions for later review.

GateKeeper is NOT a virus removal/repair utility.  GateKeeper endeavors to
prevent viruses from infecting your system in the first place, and attempts
to render them harmless if they should find their way in.

GateKeeper also provides powerful diagnostic facilities for those intent on
tracking and analyzing viruses in the form of a log file to which records of
the critical operations attempted by viruses are written.

I have tested GateKeeper against the Scores, nVIR, Hpat, INIT 29 and ANTI
viruses and found it to be thoroughly effective in rendering those viruses
impotent.

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/gatekeeper-11.hqx; 78K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  3 Mar 89 10:23:54 -0500 (EST)
From: John Salmento <ziggy+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Memory questions

Hi,
   I have a couple of questions about Mac simms.  I removed two 256K simms from
my Mac Plus, when I upgraded it to 2.5 MB.

Is there a way to tell the speed of these simms by the age of the Mac Plus, or
by looking at the simms?

Are Mac simms and IBM simms interchangeable as long as the simms are fast enough?

Is it possible to use Mac simms in a 512KE, ie. does the 512KE macs have simms
slots?

Thanks,
John Salmento
ziggy+@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 89 12:38:16 PST
From: PUGH@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: PlaySound

This is the world's simplest sound playing program (once again
written by yours truly).  It simply throws up an SFGetFile dialog
and when you select a sound file (of type FSSD) it plays it.  It
reads both SoundWave and SoundEdit resources so that it can play
the files at the correct speed.  Since SoundCap files have no
speed information in them, I recommend not using them if you
record at anything other than 22 KHz.  Try SoundWave instead.
This also has a simple volume control.  Technically I could add a
simple speed control but I haven't.  Try to talk me into it if
you want that feature (be sure to send money too ;^).  This does
not deal with snd resources or anything like that, just the sound
files.  It works great if you are using BeepInit, Cheapbeep or
SoundMaster and have a mess of sound files lying around.

Share and enjoy.

Jon
pugh@nmfecc.arpa

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/playsound.hqx; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  3 Mar 89 10:45:29 -0500 (EST)
From: "Peter C. Kornelisse" <pk33+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: PostScript

I captured a PostScript-file from MS-Word on the Mac with ^k. I wanted to send
this file to someone else for printing. When doing this, the only thing that
happened was, that a light of the LaserWriter blinked six times during printing,
an no print came out !

What can I do to solve this problem ?

Bye, Peter Kornelisse.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 89 00:08:54 CST
From: Francis Fang <ffang@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Subject: PostScript Files

I work at a computer center at my university and have been asked several
times by a number of people about being able to import PostScript files to
the Macintosh. I have tried a number of graphics program to try to read
them in but they all seem only to read in Encapsulated PostScript. The
only way that I have been able to even view the PS picture is to print them
out on the printer using Microsoft Word.

The programs that I have tried to use are PixelPaint, Pagemaker (which I have
had a tiny bit of success with), VisionLab, GifConverter, Curator, Glue,
SuperGlue, MacVision, ImageStudio, FreeHand, Illustrator,amongst others. The
problem with Pagemaker and MS Word is that although I can see them
and print them out, there is no way that I can manipulate the graphics
as I would with EPSF (Encap. PostScript).

Can anyone out there help? Is there a program that will convert the PS to
EPSF?

The programs that I use most often and hence would like to be able to
use the converted formats in are Aldus FreeHand and Adobe Illustrator.

Thanks in advance.

Francis Fang.

Please send replies to : ffang@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
or bitnet to           : bptftf@uiamvs

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Mar 89 22:18:05 MST
From: Andrew Stone CS.DEPT <stone%hydra.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu>
Subject: Spiro!

Spiro is an interactive HyperCard Stack which is fun for kids of
all ages!. Pop-up menus allow easy choice of parameters to create
amazing "spirographic" drawings. Enjoy!

andrew

||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||<<??>>||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||
||	   Andrew Stone	            ??		2 + 2 = 5;		||
||         stone@hydra.unm.edu	    <> 	    for sufficiently large 2    ||
||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||<<??>>||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/spiro.hqx; 14K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  3 Mar 89 15:14 N
From: <HEWAT%FRILL.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Tektronix and GKS Plotter Libraries

Apparently nobody knows of a GKS-Mac library.  But what about a PLOT10
Tektronix library for the Mac ?  It looks so easy to replace the calls
by calls to the toolbox with for example Absoft Fortran, that I expect
some-one has already done it.

In fact I was surprised how easy it is to port Fortran programs to the
Mac, and even add the fancy bits like menubars and Icons. If the MacII
was twice as fast it would start to be really interesting.

A.W.Hewat, ILL Grenoble, France.

End of Info-Mac Digest