Date: Sat, 4 Mar 89 12:40:32 EST
From: David Robinowitz <dr@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu>
Subject: Allegro Common LISP is now sold by ADPA

Looking for a copy of Allegro CLISP for the mac, I tried unsuccessfully to find
a listing for Coral Software in Cambridge.   A version of Allegro for the Sun-3
was listed as a product of Franz Inc.  The helpful people there informed me
that Apple had bought Coral and was now selling Allegro Common LISP through
ADPA.  The cost is $495 which includes Flavors (object-oriented extension),
some sort of quick-draw interface (I forgot the name), and a stand-alone
application generator.
-Dave

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 04 Mar 89 12:23 CET
From: Anders Liljegren <TEKAL%SEUDAC21.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Bold Symbol font

Hi !

I have some problem getting the LaserWriterII to print the Symbol font
in bold.

Most fonts exists in four different versions in the LaserWriter:
plain, italics, bold, and bold italics. Not so Symbol. It exists in only
a plain version. But if you use the Italics style you get Italics on the
LaserWriter. I presume that the plain LaserWriter version of Symbol is
slanted by the software, just as the screen fonts.

You would then suppose that the same strategy would be used when printing
bold on the LaserWriter. But no, if you use bold or bold italics you get
plain or italics respectively on the LaserWriter.

At the moment I try to get round this by fooling the LaserWriter. I have
made a copy of the Symbol screen font that I have renamed Symbo2. I use
this font when I need bold Symbol characters. This font is not recognized
by the system, and the software then does what it is supposed to do when
not recognizing a font; it uses the screen font to print on the LaserWriter.
And, voila, I get bold and bold italics Symbol on the LaserWriter.

But there are drawbacks. The extra copy of Symbol takes up space and clutter
up the menues. The printing quality is not nery good either.

Is there anyone who knows of a solution to this dilemma??
I guess there are a lot of frustrated mathematicians and physicists out
there, wondering why Apple won't allow them to use greek letters for
vectors.

Anders Liljegren, Uppsala University, Sweden

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 89 20:06:20 PST
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: CheapColor...

I just wanted to send in a "Well done!" to Jeff Skaistis for his CheapColor
application.  It really works!

I've been feeding it some rather complex Mandelbrot-set PICT files generated
by version 1.5.1 of my MandelZot program.  CheapColor does indeed convert
these PICT2 files (which use a nonstandard color palette) into quite
respectable-looking 8-dithered-color PICT images.  I haven't yet tried to
print one of them on an ImageWriter using a color ribbon, but it appears
to me that the results would be quite good!

Bravo, Jeff!

Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:   coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,    ...@sun.com,    ...@uunet.uu.net
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 89 15:13 CST
From: "How can you be man, til you see beyond the life you live?" <LENTZ@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu>
Subject: Dvorak FKEY and KCHR resources

Hello,

I am forwarding this from comp.sys.mac  Enjoy!

					Robert Lentz
					lentz@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu

	I have recieved numerous requests for the FKEY and
KCHR resource.  Since it is not very long and in the interest
of speed, I am posting this directly.
		- Miles Weissman
	President Carnegie Mellon's Macintosh Users' Group
ARPANet:	mw2k@andrew.cmu.edu
USnail Mail:	1060 Morewood Ave
		Box 1477
		Pittsburgh, PA  15213
Phone:		( 412 ) - 268 - 4283

[Archived as /info-mac/fkey/dvorak.hqx; 4K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 89 18:57 CST
From: "Sandro Corsi, Univ.of WI-Oshkosh" <CORSI@oshkosh.wisc.edu>
Subject: Fonts & DAs over a server

Jonathan Leblang writes:
(...)
>you can use Suitcase II or Font/DA Juggler Plus to open font and DA files
>over the network.
(...)
>There is a cost associated with this implementation, but maybe someone
>could develop a shareware or freeware utility that accomplishes the same thing.

There is such a thing already. It's called Fontsie, and it is (or was, a while
ago) available from the BCS-Mac BBS (you have to be a Boston Computer Society
member to download). It may be available elsewhere, too.

                        Sandro Corsi
                        Art Dept.
                        Univ. of Wisconsin - Oshkosh
                        Oshkosh, WI 54901

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Mar 89 12:53 CST
From: "Sandro Corsi, Univ.of WI-Oshkosh" <CORSI@oshkosh.wisc.edu>

Whoops!... a key word was missing from my previous message on the same subject:
Fontsie will solve network access problems concerning *FONTS* only... it does
nothing for your DA's.
My apologies for spreading misleading rumors...

                        Sandro Corsi
                        Art Dept.
                        Univ. of Wisconsin - Oshkosh
                        Oshkosh, WI 54901

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Mar 89 02:10:49 HST
From: decwrl!ucbvax!pro-pac.cts.com!tsouth@labrea.stanford.edu (System Administrator)
Subject: No intelligent life in Appleland (Marketing only, of course)

> From: Alexis Rosen <decwrl!decvax!ccnysci!alexis@labrea.stanford.edu>

> The announcement I'm referring to, of course, is the decision to trim
> back the R&D budget as a percentage of sales.

> Now more than ever before, Apple cannot afford to reduce its R&D
> efforts. The products that Apple needs to introduce over the next year
> are legion. [...] the list is endless. The Apple engineers
> can do the job- all of the technical people at Apple that I know are
> excellent. The question is, can marketing figure out what to do with
> these products? If not, they will never be released, and both we and
> Apple will suffer.

I look at this decision and see a number of points that have been
bantered by the Apple ][ community for some time; most of them in
response to Apple's decision to make the Apple ][ family their
"cash cow" to support development of the Macintosh line.  This was
another decision that your cousin would have laughed at, too, if
looked at in its long-term implications.  Sales continued, but
eventually they peaked (about 1987 when the Apple ][ line sold
over one billion dollars due).  But, when people started asking for
more and more improvements to the Apple ][ line none seemed to
appear.  The Mac, on the other hand, was releasing new items on
a regular schedule.  The introduction of the IIgs boosted sales
again for their peak in the 1987 era, but the introduction of the
across-the-board 35% has dramatically caused sales to drop. A price
increase which was applied to Apple ][ products, but was caused
by a bad chip price projection on chips for the Macintosh line
of computers.

Now, Macintosh prices are going back down, somewhat, but the
results of the losses are really just starting to reflect on both
Apple ][ and Mac sales.  Note, also, that Apple ][ prices have
not gone down at all, yet for some reason Apple continues to
think that the Apple ][ family will continue as a heifer to be
milked.  While this may not be a direct reflection on the future
Macintosh arenas, it tends to hint that prior marketing teams
of the company might be in need of new direction.

Todd South

UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tsouth
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tsouth@nosc.MIL
INET: tsouth@pro-pac.CTS.COM - BITNET: pro-pac.UUCP!tsouth@PSUVAX1

------------------------------

Date: Sun,  5 Mar 89 12:12:47 -0500 (EST)
From: John Hill <jh5f+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: SuitcaseII upgrade

Does anyone have a working copy of the upgrade program for Suitcase II 1.2 that
they can mail me or can tell me where to obtain it (I can FTP)?  I have tried at
least four times to download the file from Sumex-aim archives, but it is always
defective even when everything else that I am FTPing arrives fine.

Thanks for your help.

John Edward Hill                         Dept. of Biological Sciences
jh5f+@andrew.cmu.edu               Carnegie Mellon University
shenry.hill@bionet-20.bio.net         4400 Fifth Avenue
412-268-5122                              Pittsburgh, PA.  15213-3890  USA

[The file seems to be bad at this end. Could somebody mail us a new
 copy? -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 89 13:19 PDT
From: "BRIAN KLAAS, CH3 POLE J7, MAILSTOP CH3-69" <BKLAAS%CH3@sc.intel.com>
Subject: TEK Emulators

Howdy,

Does anyone know of a decent terminal emulator for the MAX II that will
handle TEK4111 or TEK4107?  I know it would be slow, but TEK terminals
typically are anyway.

Brian Klaas
BKLAAS%ch3@sc.intel.com

disclaimer: I didn't say nothin'

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 89 14:38 EDT
From: FENYES@gmr.com
Subject: TROUBLE WITH REAR-WINDOW INIT

I want to report a problem I am having with an INIT
posted to the INFO-MAC archives - REAR-WINDOW.  This
looks like a really useful init but I cant seem to
get it to work. It is supposed to allow copying from
one window to another, completely hidden window.

I downloaded REAR-WINDOW from the archives and
bin-hexed it using version 4.0. That created an init
that showed its icon on bootup but then didn't seem to
work as advertised.

Holding Command-Tab I selected a file from the top window
by clicking on it. Then I released the keys, expecting the
the lower window to pop to the front - but nothing happened.
Without the lower window to copy to I was faced with the
normal situation and could only move the file around on the
topmost window.

Is this download not working or am I missing something in
how to make it work?

		Peter Fenyes
		General Motors Research Lab
		FENYES@GMR.COM