Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/08/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue,  7 Mar 89       Volume 7 : Issue  47

Today's Topics:
                             databases...
                              ffixer.hqx
                  GSA suppliers of Apple Macintoshes
                         Hayes 2400M Smartcom
                          HigherMenus INIT
           Japanese word-processing - summary of responses
            looking for Fortran callable graphics library
                              More fonts
                  Rodime hard disk and Apple Scanner
                       Spanish Spelling Checker
                       Thunderscan resolution?
                Updated BINHEX4.PAS for MacPascal 2.0?
                         Upgrade info request
                    Voice Recognition For the Mac
                         World Population DA

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Mon,  6 Mar 89  15:34:48 EST
From: Damian%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: databases...

Hello again!

Does anybody know of any data base program that allows the user to
define a field of up to 50 pages?  I don't think Double-Helix will do
it although I might be wrong.....

I heard something here on the net about a product called Doppler that alllowed
you to define the number of copies available of a program on a file server..
I don't have much more info than that....but if someone knows anything
about eitherr of these topics I would be very appreciative....

Damian Roskill
Damian@umass

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Mar 89 00:21 EST
From: BEATROUS@vms.cis.pittsburgh.edu
Subject: ffixer.hqx

Attached is the Macintosh application 'Floppy Fixer', version
1.0, which recovers files from damaged Macintosh diskettes.
Unstuff the program and documentation with StuffIt.

                 Frank Beatrous
		  Department of Mathematics
		  University of Pittsburgh
		  Pittsbugh, PA 15260
		  beatrous@pittvms.bitnet

[Archived as /info-mac/util/floppy-fixer.hqx; 101K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 7 Mar 89 14:59:01-EST
From: FAUSETT@radc-tops20.arpa
Subject: GSA suppliers of Apple Macintoshes

Does anyone know of a GSA supplier of Apple Macintoshes OTHER than FALCON
MICROSYSTEMS.  We've had such bad service from them that we're desperate to
find another GSA source.

Mark Fausett (fausett@radc-tops20.arpa)
-------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 06 Mar 89 10:54:21 EST
From: Adriene <ADRIENE%YALEADS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hayes 2400M Smartcom

I just received some product information from HAYES Micro Products.

There is now a 2400 Baud modem (internal for MAC II) which can be SHARED
by others on the network.  (just like any other network device) I believe
its called the 2400M.

Th
It claims that the MAC II will show little or no degradation of performance
while others are using its modem...

CAN THIS BE TRUE?  Has anyone used this product yet?  Many of our clients
could use a product like this.  Any info, tips, or experience on this product
would REALLY be appreciated.

Respond to me personally, or to the list.  I will summarize any responses to
the list.

Thanks Everyone!
YYY  YYY A D R I E N E    L.   N A Z A R E T I A N
 YY  YY  Management Information Services
  YYYY   Yale University                  (203) 432-6500
   YY    155 Whitney Avenue               BITNET:
   YY    New HAven, Ct. 06511             Adriene@YaleADS

------------------------------

Date: 7 Mar 1989 02:10 EST
From: mystone@sol.engin.umich.edu
Subject: HigherMenus INIT

  HigherMenus is an INIT that will let you bring a hierchical menu into the
menubar.  If you have a particular item that you are choosing a lot, and
it's stashed away a few levels down, this INIT is for you!
  It also complements hierDA nicely in that you can have a Control Panel
menu that you can choose cdevs from.
  Press the option key while choosing the menu item with a submenu attached
to it to bring the submenu into the menu bar.  Option-click on a menu title
in the menu bar to remove it.
  There is a $5 shareware fee for HigherMenus.  Version 1.03.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/highermenus.hqx; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 89 17:25:55 GMT
From: Stuart MacFarlane <mcvax!hci.hw.ac.uk!stuartm@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: Japanese word-processing - summary of responses

Thanks to a number of people who sent me information on Japanese word
processing on the Mac. As promised, here is a distillation:

KanjiTalk is the Macintosh Operating system in Japanese (Kanji).  Menus
and the Finder, etc. are all in Kanji.
Contact:
	APDA
	Apple Computer, Inc.
	20525 Mariani Avenu, Mail Stop 33G
	Cupertino, CA 95014-6299

The only Japanese word processor that was mentioned is EGWord. People
seem to think that it works OK. It resembles Word. Available from:

Qualitas Trading Co (6907 Norfolk Rd, Berkeley, CA 94705)
for US$499 (ouch!),
or from:
	Ergosoft Corporation
	5F Taneda Building
	1-2-5, Moto-Akasaka
	Minato-ku, Tokyo, 107, Japan
	Phone: +81-3-478-2234
for Yen59000.
Discounted prices may be available in Japan - a helpful correspondent
is checking.

There is some confusion about whether EGWord works with or without
Kanjitalk - it seems to depend on the version number of EGWord. I'm
still working on this...

I am warned that EGWord works best with system 4.2, and sometimes
crashes on exit on system 6.0.2. I am also warned that extra RAM might
be needed. I am advised to consult technical note #138, and to
subscribe to a mailing list called JAPAN; I haven't done either
yet...

I haven't yet contacted the above addresses, so I can't fill in the
details. Mail me in a few weeks if you want more up-to-date
information.

Stuart MacFarlane             ARPA:  stuartm@hci.hw.ac.uk
Scottish HCI Centre,          UUCP:  ..{backbone}!mcvax!ukc!hwcs!hci!stuartm
Heriot-Watt University,       JANET: stuartm@uk.ac.hw.hci
Chambers Street, Edinburgh EH1 1HX               Tel: 031-225 8432 ext19

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  7 Mar 89 12:02 EST
From: <ANANDI@EMRCAN>
Subject: looking for Fortran callable graphics library

 Some of our users are attempting to move their FORTRAN programs from
mainframe to Macs. These programs use DISSPLA subroutines to plot
on various devices like  CALCOMP plotters, Tektronix graphics
terminals etc. We would like to advise our users as to the choice of
FORTRAN (77) callable graphics library which they could use on their
Macs.
Computer Associates to find out if they have a  version. They
promised to call me back. That was seven days ago. I am still waiting.
Any features or limitations of the product?
Do you know of any other FORTRAN callable graphics library for the Mac
environment?

If you want, you can send your reply directly to me at ANANDI@EMRCAN.
BITNET
I would also like to know of similar product in the IBM-PC environment.

Thanks in advance.

Atulesh Nandi
Energy, Mines and Resources, Canada
ANANDI@EMRCAN

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1989 16:35:16 PST
From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: More fonts

There is a new subdirectory in the font directory called "adobe". It contains
a vast array of new Adobe screen fonts, and a file which describes the
copyright restrictions on them. In brief, you may download them for your own
use, but not redistribute them.

Bill Lipa
Info-Mac

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 89 13:02:46 EST
From: Holly_Schneider@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Rodime hard disk and Apple Scanner

I'm having trouble getting an Apple Scanner to work with a Mac II that has
a 140MB internal Rodime drive.

The scanner works without problem on a Mac II with an Apple hard drive.

I have tried many different combinations of SCSI device ID#s, but none of
the combinations solves the problem.

Rodime suggested adding a second SCSI terminator to the scanner, which
helped eliminate some problems but not all.  The scanner appears to
capture the document, but in actuality is not able to save it to the
Rodime drive.  We have tried it using both the Apple Scanning software and
OmniPage.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Holly Schneider
Microcomputer Manager
Office of the Provost
University of Michigan

Holly_Schneider@um.cc.umich.edu
(313) 763-7654

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Mar 89 17:00 EST
From: "Beth Allen, Academic Computing Intern" <$BETH%OBERLIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Spanish Spelling Checker

Does anybody know of a Spanish Spelling Checker that will work with Word
3.02?  I seem to remember reading a review of foreign language spelling
checkers in some magazine recently, but I can't track it down.

Thanks,
Beth Allen

$BETH@OBERLIN (BITNET)
or
SEA1943@OBERLIN (BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 89 18:16 AST
From: J_MENDEZ@acupr.upr.cun.edu
Subject: Thunderscan resolution?

I hope this question isn't too stupid, but can someone tell me at what
resolution does Thunderscan (Thunderware) scan?  In what file formats are
the images saved?  Anyone around there have any good/bad experiences with
the product?

Thanks for your help.

Jose Mendez
University of Puerto Rico

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Mar 89 15:48:50 CST
From: "Morgan K. Lee" <NU129584%NDSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Updated BINHEX4.PAS for MacPascal 2.0?

Does anyone have an updataed version of BINHEX4.PAS program that can
run under MacPascal 2.0? The program was probably created for MacPascal
1.0; I got an error message "Incompatibility between types has been
found" on the program statement "GENERIC(JSRINDIRECTA0, REGRCD)."

                                             Morgan K. Lee
                                             NU129584@NDSUVM1.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Mar 89 7:56:10 EST
From: "CPT Steven M. Mahoney" <smmahone@crdec1.apgea.army.mil>
Subject: Upgrade info request

Hi,
    This is probably the subject of an article in the archives somewhere.
I have a MAC 512 E.  I am looking to upgrade to a plus with 2 MEG of RAM.
What are some good routes to do this.  I am familiar with the MACSNAP line.
I am unaware of "other" alternatives to upgrade.  If you could pass along
info on where this information is stored, it would really help.  Thanks.

				STEVE MAHONEY
		smmahone@crdec1.apgea.mil

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Mar 89 16:36:28 CST
From: Bill Goffe <B234WLG%UTARLVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Voice Recognition For the Mac

Some time ago there was a request for voice recognition devices and software
for the Mac. In the Feb. 5, 1989 New York Times on p. 10F there was an
article dealing w/ such a device. It is made by Articulate Systems Inc. of
Cambridge, Mass, (617) 876-5236. Their Voice Navigator can be used to
recognize as many as 200 words at each level of a command (?). They note
that it can be used w/ paint and cad programs to call for special tools
rather than constantly using a mouse. Sounds handy to me. The cost is $999.
They say it will be available in the second quarter.

Bill Goffe
b234wlg @ utarlvm1

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 89 13:08:18 PST
From: riley%cs@ucsd.edu (Chris Riley)
Subject: World Population DA

This is a desk accessory that shows the current world population.
It is updated each second and provides a relatively accurate
estimate of the current population.

The DA is free.  Click in the DA window for information.

[Archived as /info-mac/da/world-population.hqx; 9K]

End of Info-Mac Digest