Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/10/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu,  9 Mar 89       Volume 7 : Issue  48

Today's Topics:
                          68030 bug in TMON
              A/UX Shutdown procedure for Non-superusers
                           Ada for Mac IIx
                     Answers to memory questions
                             Data Sharing
                      Hypercard, Macs and Modems
                          Hypercard problems
                            Ignisound V1.5
                           Interrupt button
                        Jasmine's DirectPrint
                 Looking for SU-MacIP comm. software
                                 mice
                    Talking Moose 1.21 on a Mac II
                 The search for a "kinder quieter SE"

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Wed, 8 Mar 89 20:44:30 EST
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@ardec.arpa>
Subject: 68030 bug in TMON

The 7th March issue of MacWeek (MacInTouch column) has the following fix for
TMON v2.8.1, to make it compatible with 68030-based Macs (ie, IIx, SE/30...).

o Open TMON w/ ResEdit.
o Open MonC resource & duplicate 'MonC ID 2'.
o Select the new resource just created and give it ID=3.
o Close the MonC resources, and repeat the procedure w/ resource 'MonI ID 2'.

This info was provided by Eugene Evans at ICOM Simulations, and all flames,
bug reports, etc, should be sent to him (Hell, I don't even have TMON:-})

tom c

                  Electromagnetic Armament Technology Branch
         US Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center
                       Picatinny Arsenal, NJ 07806-5000
                ARPA: tcora@pica.army.mil -or- tcora@ardec.arpa
                UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!tcora

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 89 11:07:30 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: A/UX Shutdown procedure for Non-superusers

We just got an A/UX machine which will be used by several different
people (though
only one at a time -- no serial port log-ins or ethernet clients).  The
"shutdown" command can be issued only be the superuser.  If a non-superuser
comes in, powers up, logs on, does some work -- how does he shut down?
Is it OK to just power the machine off at the "login:" prompt?  If not,
what?  I don't want to scramble our file system -- I also don't want to
give the superuser password to everybody, or have to babysit each use
just to log off.

Also, we have to shut down A/UX to get back to Mac OS (which most of the
people on our Mac II prefer).

------------------------------

Date: 08 Mar 89  0035 PST
From: Arthur Keller <ARK@sail.stanford.edu>
Subject: Ada for Mac IIx

Are there any (preferably certified) Ada compilers available for the
Mac IIx?  If so, home much memory and disk do they need to run effectively?
Thanks.

Arthur

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  9 Mar 89 10:31:24 -0500 (EST)
From: John Salmento <ziggy+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Answers to memory questions

I received a number of responses to my first two questions, but not to the
third.  So here is a summary of the answers to the first two questions.

>Hi,
>   I have a couple of questions about Mac simms.  I removed two 256K simms from
my Mac >Plus, when I upgraded it to 2.5 MB.

>Is there a way to tell the speed of these simms by the age of the Mac Plus, or
by looking at the >simms?

You can tell the speed by the last two digits on the chip.  -15 means 150 ns and
-12 means 120ns.

>Are Mac simms and IBM simms interchangeable as long as the simms are fast
enough?

It is possilble to use IBM simms in Macs, but not Mac simms in IBMs.  IBM simms
are 9 bit chips.  The nineth bit is used for parity checking, and according to
Lee Larson,
        "statistical analyses have shown that there is no significant
        increase in reliability in using that ninth chip as IBM does.  It is only
        used once, during the boot-up process.  It has as much chance of failure
        as any other chip in the system, so 1/9 of the time, the parity chip
        is the one that goes.  (More parts ==> More failures)"

>Is it possible to use Mac simms in a 512KE, ie. does the 512KE macs have simms
slots?

I haven't gotten an answer on this question.

Thanks to all the people who responded.
John Salmento
ziggy+@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue 07 Mar 1989 22:47 CDT
From: GREENY <MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Data Sharing

Could anyone out there tell me how simple it would be to share the data
contained within a HyperCard stack, among a number of users on an AppleTalk
network.

Optimally we would like to have, say 6 Macs, with perhaps two of them wishing
to access the same HyperCard file (not necessarially at the same time), but
without having to worry about merging the changed data from two copies of
it every day.

What software would make this sharing possible, and would be quick, and
reliable.  I was thinking AppleShare, but I want to research all the
possibilities.

We will probably also be sharing a number of other applications...

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Bye for now but not for long
Greeny
BITNET: MISS026@ECNCDC
Internet: MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 8 Mar 89 12:10:00 EST
From: "EJN" <ejn@stc10.ctd.ornl.gov>
Subject: Hypercard, Macs and Modems

I have a Hypercard stack that will dial a list of phone numbers and see if a
CONNECT is made to a computer.  I am interested in knowing if there is a way
that I can modify this stack to 1) detect when someone answers the phone and
2) deliver a digitized message?  I am looking for a way to use my Machintosh and Hayes modem to call members of our computer club and leave a message telling of meeting times.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Mar 89 23:56 EST
From: "Maj. Doug Hardie" <Hardie@dockmaster.arpa>
Subject: Hypercard problems

I have previously indicated problems with hypercard sounds quiting and
eventually corrupting cards.  I recently received version 1.2.2.  While
I have not been able to extensively test it for more than 1 hour, it
seems to have cured the problems.  Sounds now work, even after using
DAs.  Also, cards don't seem to get corrupted anymore either.

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: 9 Mar 1989 10:22 EST
From: billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu
Subject: Ignisound V1.5

This is a cdev which allows you to play a sound (snd resource)
at startup.

Written by Steve Bollinger
Copyright (c) 1989 Steve Bollinger and Mushyware
All Rights Reserved
This may be freely distributed in an unmodified form.
See inside for details.
Shareware $10

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/ignisound.hqx; 36K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Mar 89 10:05:10 EST
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@ardec.arpa>
Subject: Interrupt button

Here's a question I've been wondering about for some time.

Back when I used a Mac+, if something happened which froze the Mac, or
caused a system error, I could (sometimes) escape to the Finder by pressing
the interrupt key on the side of the machine, and typing 'G 40F6D8' in the
debugger window which appeared. This saved the hassle of rebooting,
particularly when SCSI disks like to be shutdown properly.

Now, my boss has gotten me a shiny new SE! But typing 'G 40F6D8' does nada.
It simply returns me to the debugger window. Typing 'G FINDER' sometimes
gives me a 'Restart or Resume' dialog box (DSAT, right?), but most times,
the Resume option isn't hilited, so I have to restart the mac anyway. And
wait while the HD straightens itself out...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the proper way to recover from this?
(ie, what to type in the debugger window?) I will summarize to the net.

Date: Tue 07 Mar 1989 22:48 CDT
From: GREENY <MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Jasmine's DirectPrint

Has anyone out there used, or heard anything good/bad about Jasmine's new
"laserprinter" the DirectPrint?

Problems, advantages, etc...

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 89 13:49:40 EDT
From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <PP838474%TECMTYVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Looking for SU-MacIP comm. software

I am looking for the source host of the SU-MacIP software usable for
communicating on the Internet from a Mac via a variety of mediums. I saw
version 2.0 working somewhere and it's FTP interface looked a lot more
friendly than NCSA's.

Since this is Stanford developed software, I should assume that it is
to be found within the '.Stanford.EDU' domain, but in which host ?

Thanks for any pointers.

Juan Courcoul

------------------------------

Date: 6 Mar 89 11:05:00 EST
From: mikero@lns61.tn.cornell.edu
Subject: mice

I need to order a replacment mouse for a MAC II. Can anyone out there on the
net recommend a mouse? Send replies to mikero@lns61.tn.cornell.edu; if there
are enough replies, I'll summarize to the net.

              _______  Michael Roman
             /      |  Cornell University
  _________/        |  Ithaca, NY       14853

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Mar 89 09:41:08 edt
From: BRUCE_KAHN@DGC.MCEO.DG.COM
Subject: Talking Moose 1.21 on a Mac II

CEO summary:
  I picked up the most recent copy of Talking Moose and have yet to
be able to get it to work on the two II's we have here.  We have
tried under Finder and Multifinder (I dont recall their versions but
can check if it matters).
  We had no problems with the FTP or the unpacking.  We cant get it
to do anything under Finder and it enters what appears to be an
infinite loop when run under MultiFinder (the watch stays up for > 5
minutes so we aborted it).  Has anyone else had problems?  Is there
something I especially need to do?

                    Bruce (KAHN@ADAM.DG.COM)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Mar 89 08:18:39 PST
From: nardi@cs.nps.navy.mil (Peter Nardi)
Subject: The search for a "kinder quieter SE"

     The noise from the fan on may SE is becoming very distracting.
Mobius offers a replacement called "The SE Silencer" which will
replace original fans in pre-December 1987 Mac SE's.  Has anyone had
experience with this fan? Is it more quiet?  Does it work? I purchased
my SE in Feb of 1988, how can I determine the manufacture date? Are there
any other fans out there worth looking at?  Any information would be
greatly appreciated.

                             -=<Pete>=-

nardi@cs.nps.navy.mil
Naval Postgraduate School Monterey, Ca.

------------------------------

End of Info-Mac Digest
******************************

Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/11/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 10 Mar 89       Volume 7 : Issue  48

Today's Topics:
              A/UX Shutdown procedure for Non-superusers
                     Answers to memory questions
                         Books on Tutorials?
                           CMS Disk Drives
          Databases capable of storing large amounts of text
             DOES APPLE HAVE A POC FOR DEALER COMPLAINTS?
                          Interrupt on MacSE
                             Screen fonts
                     Unix mail for the Macintosh
                          What have I done?

Date: Thu, 9 Mar 89 15:45:56 PST
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuq@apple.com>

> If a non-superuser comes in, powers up, logs on... how does he shut down?

If you want this, the easiest way to allow it and still have some control
is to set up a special reboot account. Create account 'reboot' with UID=0
and the login shell as /etc/reboot. You can then put a normal password on it
so people can't reboot your machine without a password. When they're done,
they log out, then log in as reboot.

While rebooting from multi-user isn't necessarily the best thing to do, if
the system is essentially quiet, there shouldn't be any problem. I've tried
it a few times and haven't had any problems.

A cleaner way that requires more steps is to use shutdown instead of reboot.
Shutdown will take you single user (equivalent to "init 1"), and the user
could execute the reboot command from there. That shouldn't have any
problems doing this, but it's an extra step.

Reboot shuts UNIX down and takes you back to the SASH partition. If you want
to power it down completely, use "powerdown" instead of reboot.

chuq

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 89 11:29:38 EST
From: jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White)

>From: John Salmento <ziggy+@andrew.cmu.edu>

>Is it possible to use Mac simms in a 512KE, ie. does the 512KE macs have simms
>slots?

  The answer to this question is no.  The original Mac had 16 (2 rows of 8) 64k
chips soldered onto the motherboard, for a total of 128k RAM.  The 512k Mac
switched to 256k chips, for a total of 512k RAM.  Note that it was the
soldering of the chips to the motherboard that made user upgrades very
difficult, if not impossible.  The Plus was the first machine to use simms.

					Jeff White
					Univ. of Penn. - CETS
					jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Mar 89 08:51:04 PST
From: PUGH@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Books on Tutorials?

My boss is looking for books on tutorials on the Mac.  Does anyone have any
pointers to such a beast?  He claims to have seen an Apple publication once.

Jon

N         L                   pugh@nmfecc.arpa
 M    A    L   National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
  F    T    N      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
   E         L                PO Box 5509 L-561
    C                    Livermore, California 94550
     C                         (415) 423-4239

------------------------------

Date: 9 Mar 89 22:14:13 GMT
From: rjc@ncsc1.att.com (Robert Cook consultant ncsc5)
Subject: CMS Disk Drives

Hey, I have owned a CMS 40M hard drive for almost a year now.  Yes I did call
for support one time and had a similiar experence (no response) as others have.
However, the Neighborhood Computer Store (where I bought it) took a look and the
only problem I had was duplicate file names in various folders.  I fixed that
and have enjoyed good performance and reliability with my particular disk.
Maybe, I'm lucky or whatever, but I'm happy with the product.  Not necessarily
with the company support (or lack thereof).

R. Cook

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 89 01:17:53 EST
From: Alexis Rosen <decwrl!decvax!ccnysci!alexis@labrea.stanford.edu>
Subject: Databases capable of storing large amounts of text

I just tried FoxBase on a 155K text document. It absorbed it into a memo
field without problems. So It could certainly handle 50 pages of text.

However, memo handling in FoxBase is not currently very good. You can present
it to the user for editing or examination, and the editor is very very nice.
It's NOT textedit-based, so its swift even with 150K text fields. You can
also search in the field for text.

But that's it. Nothing else.

Fortunately, the new FoxBase will support complete control over memo fields.
You will be able to manipulate them however you like. These features may make
it into V2.0 (available late April or early May), which I have in an early
alpha form. They may wait until V2.1, though, which would mean waiting until
July. (Note that they're quite accurate about ship dates, historically.)

If that's good enough for you, get FoxBase. Otherwise, you're stuck, since as
far as I remember the other databases all keep at maximum one TextEdit
record's worth of text (This certainly applies to 4D and Helix. Omnis can't
even do that much. Dbase is also limited to 32K).

Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.uucp

------------------------------

Date: Fri 10 Mar 89 14:12:06-EST
From: FAUSETT@radc-tops20.arpa
Subject: DOES APPLE HAVE A POC FOR DEALER COMPLAINTS?

Earlier I asked for GSA sources other than Falcon microsystems for
Apple equipment.  I was deulged with responses saying

1.  Falcon is the Only Apple-Authorized GSA source.

2.  They typically give terrible service (although they appear to have
improved in the southwest).

Is there a person or organization at Apple responsible for dealer
quality control?  If so, I'd like to forward those responses in the
hope that Apple will do something.  Having the single GSA source be
this bad reflects poorly upon Apple.  When the service is bad enough,
it makes other types of equipment look attractive.

Mark Fausett
-------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 89 08:22:41 EST
From: jonathan@starbase.mitre.org (Jonathan Leblang)
Subject: Interrupt on MacSE

the proper ExitToShell for the macintosh SE is G 409B24 at the debugger
prompt.  (for a cute slideshow, try G 41D89A to see the MacSE developers).
jonathan leblang
jonathan@mitre.org

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Mar 89 18:20:45 EST
From: Asif T <CEHYDRO%VTVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Screen fonts

I noticed that Adobe posted a whole  lot of fonts on this archive, I was
excited about this, but  when I tried to print out a  document all I got
was a bitmap representation of the screen fonts, does some one know of a
way to download these fonts to the Laser Writer ?? Can it at all be done??

Please post  your reply as  I suspect  your mail might  have a bit  of a
problem in getting to me.

Thanks

Asif Taiyabi
                                               1711 Whipple Drive, Apt #9
---------------------------------------------  Blacksburg, VA 24060
|"If the listener nods his head when you are|  (703) 951-2689
| explaining your program, wake him up"     |
|                -- Alan Perlis             |

[The Adobe fonts we have in our archive are only screen fonts. They cannot
 be downloaded to the LaserWriter as PostScript outline fonts. You have to
 buy the PostScript fonts from Adobe. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 89 10:52:13 -0600 (CST)
From: David Wilson <David.Wilson@scarecrow.waisman.wisc.edu>
Subject: Unix mail for the Macintosh

> Could anyone give me pointers to Mac MH?  I have MH, and am
> interested in the Mac front end.  I am looking for more information
> on the program, how to get it, whether the source is public domain.

MH stands for Message Handler.  It is an alternative Unix mail system
written by the Rand Corporation and which is in the public domain.  The
way to make Internet mail available to Macintosh users, without forcing
them to log into another computer with Telnet, is to install MH on some
mail server, and use Stanford University's SU-Mac/IP & SU-Mac/MH on the
Macintosh.  MH can use several different protocols to send mail between
computers, including the popular SENDMAIL.

MH contains a special version of POP (Post Office Protocol).  SU-Mac/MH
depends on the added features.  Thus MH MUST BE installed on the machine
that acts as mail server for the Macintoshes.  A standard Unix mailer
with POP2 is not good enough.  MH6.6 is distributed by the Univ. of
Delaware.  Directions for getting MH are included when you order
SU-Mac/MH.  (FTP anonymously from louie.udel.edu:portal/mh-6.6.tar.Z)

Macintosh mail users give the name of the mail server computer in their
mail addresses, not the name of their own machine.  Thus they can move
between Macintoshes with ease.  The Macintosh mail users do NOT have to
be added to the mail server as legal Telnet users.  MH keeps a database
of Mail users separate from the list of legal users.

Mac/MH provides for creation, editing, and filing of messages, and also
includes an "address book" facility.  A compatible PC version is also
available.

A site license for SU-Mac/IP and SU-Mac/MH is $100.  The PC version costs
another $100.  A check must be send with the order;  purchase orders
cannot be used.  This product is not in the public domain, but the cost
is nominal.  Send the order to:

                          Laura Kenny
                          Networking Systems
                          115 Pine Hall
                          Stanford University
                          Stanford, CA 94305-4122

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Mar 89 15:38:13 PST
From: PUGH@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: What have I done?

Someone asked me for a list of things that I have written and placed on
Info-Mac and that got me to wondering, so I released a few things that I had
been meaning to make public and put together this list.

Jon

Program		Description
-------		-----------
Pathname FKEY	Places full pathname of a selected file onto clipboard.
Randomizer	Changes startup files (like screens and sounds).
Lone Ranger	Changes creator of any type of files on any HFS subtree.
ShowSizes	Displays relative sizes of folders & files in them.
PlaySound	World's simplest uncompressed sound file player.

- For Hypercard
Dinosaurs	Pictures of dinosaurs and info about them.
doFKEY		Execute an FKEY from a script.
SetDirectory	Set Standard File dialogs to a certain directory.
GetClipboard
PutClipboard	Get and put variables (and fields) to the clipboard.
Black&White	Tells whether the screen is black and white or not.
PopUp Menu	Definative Popup menu function.
Filename
NewFilename	New and old filename functions.  Includes SetDirectory too.
GetVolume
SetVolume	Hypertalk control of the volume.  Sets the control panel too.

Program			Name on Sumex-Aim.Stanford.Edu
-------			------------------------------
Pathname		fkey/hfs-pathname.hqx
Randomizer		init/randomizer.hqx
Lone Ranger		util/loneranger-19.hqx
ShowSizes		util/showsizes.hqx
PlaySound		sound/playsound.hqx
Dinosaurs		hypercard/dinosaurs-part4.hqx
doFKEY			hypercard/xcmd-dofkey.hqx
SetDirectory		hypercard/xcmd-setdirectory.hqx
GetClipboard		hypercard/xcmd-get-put-clipboard.hqx
PutClipboard		hypercard/xcmd-get-put-clipboard.hqx
Black&White		hypercard/xfcn-black-and-white.hqx
PopUp Menu		hypercard/xfcn-hpopupmenu.hqx
Filename		hypercard/xfcn-filestuff.hqx
NewFilename		hypercard/xfcn-filestuff.hqx
GetVolume		hypercard/xcmd-volume.hqx
SetVolume		hypercard/xcmd-volume.hqx

End of Info-Mac Digest