Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/17/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 16 Mar 89       Volume 7 : Issue  52

Today's Topics:
                          Bouncing ball demo
                    getting started in LSC--help!
                          GIF specifications
                     I need a scripting language
                 Need AppleShare Administrators book
                        New mailserver command
                         Novell vs. MacJanet
                  Osaka 16L1 font in KanjiTalk v2.0
                      Query on Mac CPU Upgrades
                             Remember 1.3
                           Request for info
                  System error 2;  Network question
                        Thunderscan resolution
                             Window cdev

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Thu, 16 Mar 89 15:05:29 -0600
From: Charles J Reiman <cjr20670@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Bouncing ball demo

I have this program I've written that I would like to have placed in info-mac
at stanford.  It's a simple graphics demo that is sort of a crazy cross
between a bouncing ball and a physics lecture.  Please give it a try and post
it.  If you do post it, let me know so I can be sure I'm doing this sumbission
correctly.

Thanks!     Charlie Reiman   cjr20670@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/app/bouncing-ball-demo.hqx; 10K]

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 16 March 1989  9:29am
From: ZODA537@uta3081.cc.utexas.edu (J.A.HAYES)
Subject: getting started in LSC--help!

Hello, net.  We (spouse & I) have a copy (legal) of Lightspeed
C and I know diddly about it.  My wife is trying to teach
herself C in this language, is good in Hypercard, and I'm
a fair LSPascal programmer, but we're having trouble
getting started.  Can anybody point us to a tutorial in
electronic or printed form that would get us through the
basics of programming *in a Lightspeed C environment*?
I'm afraid the manual that comes with the compiler is
just not very helpful as it assumes you know how to program
in the first place, while other C manuals assume you know
how to use your C compiler.  Any input would be appreciated.
I suspect this is not of general interest (though who knows?)
so you could mail directly to me unless you want to make a
more widely-read plug.  If I get sufficient responses I'll
summarize to the net.  Gracias!

Josh Hayes, Zoology, University of Texas at Austin
zoda537@uta3081.bitnet
zoda537@uta3081.cc.utexas.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 89 10:37:59 -0900
From: Reed Rector                      <SXWRR%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: GIF specifications

    A few weeks ago, I asked for someone to send me the Graphics Interchange
Format (GIF) specifications. The replys were mixed.... half of the people had
the specs, and the other half wanted a copy, so it seems that the Archive
is a good place for it.

    I also recieved some 'C' source code to do the encoding and decoding,
but it is not specifically for the Mac. If there is sufficient demand,
I could also send the code to Info-Mac.

    For all the people that responded, thanks for your interest and help.

        -Reed

        SXWRR@ALASKA (BITNET)
        SXWRR@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (Internet)

[Archived as /info-mac/art/gif/gif-format.txt; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 89 21:24 CST
From: "Kevin W. Mullet, UNT Academic Computing Services" <KEV@vaxb.acs.unt.edu>
Subject: I need a scripting language

I need to find a program.

I'm writing a tutorial for Aldus PageMaker that is essentially
a HyperCard Stack that I occasionally shell out of to demo and
test the user on certain features of PageMaker.

I need to find a program that will allow me to shell out of
HyperCard and run controlled scripts of actions in PageMaker,
occasionally polling the user and performing logical constructs
based on user replies and (if possible) the contents of the
screen.

I vaguely remember reading about such an animal in a fairly
recent magazine, but I'll be dashed it I can find it.  So this
is why I'm polling the experience of the Net.  Has anyone ever
seen, heard, or used such a thing?

Please send all replies to me.  I'll summarize them and mail
them to the list.

Thanks in advance,

	 Kevin Mullet
	  University of North Texas
	  Microcomputer Support

	BITNET:  	KEV@UNTVAX
	INTERNET:	KEV@VAXA.ACS.UNT.EDU
	THENET:		NTVAXA::KEV
	StaticNet:	(817) 5652316

------------------------------

Date: 16 Mar 89 07:19:06 GMT
From: zz1he%sdcc19@ucsd.edu (Heather Ebey)
Subject: Need AppleShare Administrators book

I am installing AppleShare 2.0.1.  Though the books that come with it
cover all the basics, they don't go into the nitty/gritties of how
to really optimize AppleShare or short cuts for entering and deleting
500-2000 users each quarter.

I can't seem to find a book, something like Tips and Tricks of
AppleShare Administration.  Does such a book exist?  I checked both
APDA and Tech Alliance.  I didn't see anything in their catalogs.

Please e-mail me the title/author of any book you know of along these
lines.

Thank you.

-----------hebey@ucsd (Internet, Bitnet, UUCP )-------------
Heather Ebey, Micro Support          Voice:  (619) 534-2448
UCSD, Academic Computing Center, C-010, La Jolla, CA. 92093
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 89 22:05:48 EST
From: Jim Streb <STREB%YORKVM2.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Novell vs. MacJanet

We are currently planning a mac lab with 25 machines and would like to hear
>From any MacJanet or Novell Netware 2.15 users.  If anyone out there has
ANY experience, good or bad, with either product, please address your
comments to me.  I will post summaries to the list.

Some things to keep in mind when comparing network software:  how fast
does the network seem, how many workstations are you running, what type of
application software are you using, what physical media are you using, e.g.,
are you using Ethernet, Applenet, phonenet, etc.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 89 14:04:06 GMT
From: mcvax!cs.aber.ac.uk!cho@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Osaka 16L1 font in KanjiTalk v2.0

I am attempting to install KanjiTalk 2.0 on an English, twin 800k, 1Mb, Mac Plus.
Both the font disk and system disk are inserted and the following warning
message (in Kana) appears 'Osaka16L1 ga isosuto dekimasen deshita' (I think)
Any ideas what has happened ? I try running macDraw( v1.9.5) and the
font menu thinks that points 9,12,18 and 24 in Osaka and Kyoto font are resident,
but 18 and 24 point KanjiKana seem hopelessly chunky :-(

Chris Orgill,				tel +44 970 623111 x3227
Computer Science Department,		 cho%cs.aber.ac.uk@uunet.uu.net (ARPA)
University College of Wales,		 cho@uk.ac.aber.cs (JANET)
Aberystwyth, Dyfed, United Kingdom. SY23 3BZ.

------------------------------

Date: 15 Mar 89 22:47:00 EST
From: "Charles E. Bouldin" <bouldin@sed.ceee.nbs.gov>
Subject: Query on Mac CPU Upgrades

In the days prior to the Mac II there were a few of us who went out and got
68020 cpu "bolt-ons" for the Mac+. This is easier on the SE and even easier on
the Mac II (where you go for higher clock or 68030).

I am interested in doing a survey of who uses what 3rd party cpu upgrades, in
what machines, how well they perform, etc. I use a Novy Systems 68020, so I
am interested in hearing the experiences of others. The large recent review
articles in MacUser and MacWorld make it sound like the cpu upgrade board
business is thriving. Is this the case?

If I get enough responses, I will summarize back to info-mac.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 89 16:36:02 -0500
From: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock)
Subject: Remember 1.3

Enclosed is Remember 1.3.  New features include color support and
buttons to advance calendar month and year.  Enjoy!

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP/
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |   INTERNET:  isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/remember-13.hqx; 89K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Mar 89 09:34:30 EST
From: abm@mbunix.mitre.org
Subject: Request for info

I'm trying to locate some educational software that will teach/drill basic
english grammar to high school level kids.  Preference is for MAC+ but might
be able to use AppleII.

				   Thanks in advance

						Alex Murphy
						abm@mbunix.mitre.org
						(617) 271-2284

------------------------------

Date: 16 Mar 89 01:20:00 CST
From: "Sharbutt, Albert" <z3als@ttacs1.ttu.edu>
Subject: System error 2;  Network question

I have two questions:  first, I have had trouble with applications quitting
and generating error number 2 (odd address).  The problem usually occurs when
launching an application, but also happens when pasting or other operations.
I switched from system tools 5.0 to 6.0.2, but that didn't correct the problem.
I also tried removing inits and cdevs.  It doesn't seem to matter what program
is run or whether multifinder is on.  Has anyone else had the same problem?
What can be done to fix it?

Second, I have been trying to contact a friend who is connected to a distant
DECnet.  She is able to send mail to me on on DECnet to an InterNet gateway.
Since her system is not on InterNet or BITnet, it seems that any mail I send
to her would need to be sent via InterNet or BITnet to a gateway, then send
on via DECnet, but I have been unable to do this.  Are gateways truly one-way,
or is there a way to get a message through?

Thanks for your help...

BITnet:  Z3ALS@TTACS1
InterNet:  Z3ALS@TTACS.TTU.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 89 22:39 CST
From: "Sandro Corsi, Univ.of WI-Oshkosh" <CORSI@oshkosh.wisc.edu>
Subject: Thunderscan resolution

We use Thunderscan quite heavily, and for its price it gives us amazingly
competent results. The scanning resolution can be varied by changing the
magnification of the image being scanned. Magnification ranges up to 800%,
but the manual cautions that beyond 400% Thunderscan is not really reading
any more detail in the image, just interpolating. At any rate, scanning at
400% and printing at 25% magnification still works out to a respectable 288
dots (*samples* would be more appropriate) per inch spatial resolution. And
you also get 5 bits of gray-scale resolution (32 grays).
The scanned image can be saved in Thunderscan's own SCAN format (which can
be imported directly into such programs as ImageStudio), TIFF, and EPSF. If
gray-scale information is not important, and all you need is a bitmap, then
also PNTG (MacPaint) and PICT formats are available. As far as I could de-
termine, PICT2 is not supported -- though it might be because we have it
hooked up to a MacSE (no Color QuickDraw ROM support).
On the down side:
- Sloooow: a full page at 400% magnification could easily tie up your Image-
Writer for the better part of an hour. There's no workaround -- the limit is
in the mechanics of the printer.
- Again because of all the mechanical going-ons, there are minor mis-
alignments of scanlines. Also, you have to nurse the printer-turned-scanner
for the first few lines until it settles down and you are satisfied that it
is not pouring scrambled garbage into the Mac. The "edge sensing" 1/2 inch
wide white stripe on the LEFT is critical to proper operations, and works best
if it is directly incorporated into the image to be scanned. Other limitations
on image size are due to the need to get the top of the picture underneath the
paper bail (approx.1" margin, TOP), the need to have the paper firmly pressed
against the platen until the end of the scan (1/2" ca., BOTTOM); and TS's
penchant for scrambling the image if it is made to scan the entire width of
the sheet of paper (1/2" ca., RIGHT). The manual says that TS will also work
with a wide-carriage ImageWriter, but I haven't had a chance to verify that
claim.
- Apple turned the cards several times on TS with respect to its power require-
ments. In the pre-Plus Macs, the serial ports provided enough power on one of
the pins to power TS. That was eliminated from subsequent Macintosh models,
and TS therefore came up with an ungainly contraption (included in the price
of purchase) which draws power from the external drive port (the port is still
available for its intended purpose -- connecting floppy drives). Since such a
port is missing from the II and IIx, to use TS with those Macs you need an
extra-cost power accessory (that's why we have our TS plugged into an SE). I
have no idea, as of this writing, how things might once again change with
the IIcx external drive port.
- I hoped that the scanner would work through our ImageWriter's AppleTalk card
interface, and be visible across the network. Nice try, but... I guess it
would have been asking too much from such a simple thing.
- We've had problems scanning at 400% and saving as SCAN. ImageStudio will not
interpret the files properly. However, if the same image is saved as TIFF there
are no problems -- and I couldn't determine who's to blame, TS or ImageStudio.

Hope all this helps. Best regards.

                        Sandro Corsi
                        Art Dept.
                        Univ. of Wisconsin - Oshkosh
                        Oshkosh, WI 54901

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Mar 89 11:43 PST
From: "Vladimir Ivanovic 415.423.7786" <IVANOVIC%VAXR@circus.llnl.gov>
Subject: Window cdev

    When I use the cdev Window, a combination cdev-INIT which puts a
    'Window' item in the menu bar of every application, my mouse pointer
    blinks.  My first question is: Is this a Good Thing? or a Bad Thing? or
    an Irrelevant Thing? Is someone polling something which causes the
    mouse pointer to blink?

    My second question (prompted by the polling above) is: Has anyone else
    noticed that the Mac slows down whenever (the demo version of ) Comment
    2.0 is installed? I assume that since some comments are potentially
    deliverable at a certain time, that Comment polls the clock to find out
    when to deliver a reminder. Is there another reason why things slow
    down? I've found that typing in Word 3.01 is unacceptably slow with
    Comment installed, hence I haven't bought the real version.

End of Info-Mac Digest