Date: Sat, 18 Mar 89 17:40:51 +0100
From: Sigurd Meldal <sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no>
Subject: Cheap hard disks [Forwarded message]

For those of you who are suffering from a chronic shortage of hard disk
capacity, as well as other interested parties, I would like to announce
what may be the "deal" of the week.

Newbury Data, manufacturer of Newbury Hard Disk Drives, is in the process
of liquidating their current inventory of hard disks.  I am informed that
the company is withdrawing from the U.S. market due to the unprofitable
nature of the hard disk business at this time.

I discovered this during my search for a high capacity drive at a
reasonable price, and was directed by an associate to Mike Montgomery of
Newbury Data.

After talking with Mr. Montgomery, it became clear that Newbury desired
to part with their inventory in a most expeditious manner, and as such I
inquired as to whether or not Newbury Data would be willing to deal with
individual customers in order to liquidate their stock.

Mr. Montgomery replied in the affirmative, that they would indeed be
willing to do so, and as such I suggested to him that I post this
article.  To that end, the following is a list of the drives in stock and
the price for each:

MODEL #		CAPACITY	ACCESS		INTERFACE	PRICE

NDR340		50  mb.		39 ms.		ST506		$ 395.00
NDR1085		85  mb.		26 ms.		ST506		$ 595.00
NDR1140		140 mb.		25 ms.		ST506		$1095.00
NDR2190		190 mb.		28 ms.		ST506		$1095.00
NDR3170		170 mb.		28 ms.		SCSI		$ 895.00
NDR3280		280 mb.		28 ms.		SCSI		$ 995.00
NDR3380		380 mb.		28 ms.		SCSI		$1095.00
NDR4175s	175 mb.		19 ms.		SCSI		$ 995.00
NDR4380s	380 mb.		19 ms.		SCSI		$1395.00
NDR4175		175 mb.		28 ms.		ESDI		$ 895.00
NDR4380		380 mb.		28 ms.		ESDI		$1095.00
NDR4175e	175 mb.		19 ms.		ESDI		$ 995.00
NDR4380e	380 mb.		19 ms.		ESDI		$1395.00

Terms are COD.
The drives are new and come with a 12 month factory warranty.

The drives may be serviced, either in or out of warranty, by Daisy Disk,
Corp.  which is located in Salisbury, MA. and which also maintains a
field office in Los Angeles, Ca.

According to Mr. Montgomery, the availablity on these drives is limited
to those in stock, and it is first come first serve, no back orders will
be taken.

Parties interested are requested to call Mr. Mike Montgomery, Newbury
Data, at 213 370-0775, and state that you are calling in response to the
article posted on usenet.

Please Note:  I have NO connection whatsoever with Newbury Data, so
please NO FLAMES.  I am posting this only because it is a d**mned good
deal for anyone wanting a good drive at a truly decent price.

BTW, I have been using a NDR1140 for over two years here without any
problems running it with an RLL controller (210 mb.).  And I bought one
of the NDR3380's this afternoon for my own use.

One final note, the capacities of the drives is UNFORMATED CAPACITY.

Noel
--
Noel B. Del More             |              {decvax|harvard}!zinn!ubbs-nh!noel
17 Meredith Drive            |                             noel@ubbs-nh.mv.com

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Mar 89 13:32:39 PST
From: jln@accuvax.nwu.edu
Subject: Disinfectant 1.0

Disinfecant 1.0 is the first public release of a new program to detect and
remove Macintosh viruses.

Features:

- Detects and repairs files infected by Scores, nVIR A, nVIR B, Hpat,
  AIDS, INIT 29, ANTI, and MacMag.  These are all of the currently known
  Macintosh viruses.
- Scans volumes (entire disks) in either virus check mode or virus
  repair mode.
- Option to scan a single folder or a single file.
- Option to "automatically" scan a sequence of floppies.
- Option to scan all mounted volumes.
- Can scan both MFS and HFS volumes.
- Dynamic display of the current folder name, file name, and a thermometer
  indicating the progress of a scan.
- All scans can be cancelled at any time.
- Scans produce detailed reports in a scrolling field.  Reports can be
  saved as text files and printed with an editor or word processor.
- Carefully designed human interface that closely follows Apple's
  guidelines.  All operations are initiated and controlled by 8 simple
  standard push buttons.
- Uses an advanced detection and repair algorithm that can handle partial
  infections, multiple infections, and other anomalies.
- Careful error checking.  E.g., properly detects and reports damaged and
  busy files, out of memory conditions, disk full conditions on attempts
  to save files, insufficient privileges on server volumes, and so on.
- Works on any Mac with at least 512K of memory running System 3.2
  or later.
- Can be used on single floppy drive Macs with no floppy shuffling.
- 8500 word online document describing Disinfectant, viruses in general,
  the Mac viruses in particular, recommendations for "safe" computing,
  Vaccine, and other virus fighting tools.  The document can be saved as
  a text file and printed with an editor or word processor.  We tried to
  include everything in the document that the average Mac user needs to
  know about viruses.

I wrote Disinfectant with the help of an international group
of Mac virus experts, programmers and enthusiasts: Wade Blomgren,
Chris Borton, Bob Hablutzel, Tim Krauskopf, Joel Levin, Robert Lentz,
Bill Lipa, Albert Lunde, James Macak, Lance Nakata, Leonard Rosenthol,
Art Schumer, Dan Schwendener, Stephan Somogyi, David Spector, and
Werner Uhrig.

These people helped design and debug the program, edit the document,
locate copies of the viruses for testing, and analyze the viruses.  I wrote
all the code, but I could not have written the program without their help.

Disinfectant is an example of a new kind of cooperative software
development over the internet. It was developed over a period of three
and a half months starting on December 1, 1988. During this period I sent
out nine development releases and nine Beta releases to the working group,
and we exchanged several hundred notes. The result is a program that is
much better than any one of us could have produced individually.

We are offering this program free of charge as a public service.  We hope
that the Mac community finds it useful.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University

Bitnet:    jln@nuacc
Internet:  jln@acns.nwu.edu
AppleLink: a0173

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/disinfectant.hqx; 94K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Mar 89 12:23:28 CST
From: Michael Farlow -- Captain Video <X098MF%TAMVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacDraw 1.9.5 and AppleShare 2.0 Problems

Howdy!!

I have a 2 problems that I would like to Bring forth to the net.  They
are concerned with   1) MacDraw 1.9.5 Crashing and
                     2) AppleShare Crashing

Both problems occur on the following configuration:
  17 Mac +'s and II's tied into Appleshare (an SE w/ 4meg of ram is used as the
  file/print server). We are tied into Ethernet and have AlisaShare
  running in the same Zone (but I don't think this has anything do do
  with it).  The Macs are all running under System 6.0.2 with the
  the following INITS: Suitcase II, Vaccine, and Facade.

MacDraw 1.9.5 --
    The problem here can be described as simple, but I have not found a
    fix for it.  Whenever a document is printed that contains vertical
    text (Text rotated 90 degrees from horizontal, reading either up
    or down), a crash (ID -02) results. I should add that this only
    started happening after we upgraded to the new System from 4.1.

    Has anyone else had this problem??  Is there a simple fix? Or is an
    upgrade required??

AppleShare 2.0 --
    This probelm has got everyone stumped.  Running AppleShare on a SE
    with 4meg of Ram, Rodyme 100meg disc and LaserShare, there has been
    5 ocasions in the past 6 weeks where the network came to a complete
    halt.  Users trying to recieve or send packets to the server  (both
    running the application and printing) become locked up. The Macs
    are not able to re-boot (we have the disks made for auto-login), and
    the only solution for the users is to just shutdown.

    Those that are running applications from hard drives are Mac-ing
    along just fine until they need to print to the spooler, then they
    become locked up.

    I was was watching the Rodyme when the Crash happend once, and the
    red LED that shows the disk is doing something was just going off so
    rapidly, I thought the Drive had lost its mind.

    Since we are connected via Ethernet to many other devices (which ones
    I don't know, but could find out if it would help to solve this
    problem), we went to our Networking guy.  He ran Traffic Watch, but
    that did not offer any insight.  All of the Mac's were found, but
    there was no packet transfer out of the ones that were locked up.

    The only solution that I have found for this is to cold start the
    Server.  I should mention that the Server SE is left on 24 hrs and
    is checked thoroughly for viruses each morning.  Has this happend to
    anyone else???  Or does anyone with greater Mac knowlege than me have
    any solutions???

Any insight or suggestions to these problems would be appreciated. Please
direct your questions and help to X098MF@TAMVM1.BITNET

Michael Farlow                             X098MF@TAMVM1.BITNET
Comp Srvcs Cent Graphics Lab               TMFHELP@VENUS.TAMU.EDU
Texas A&M University  "Gig'em Aggies!!"
College Station, Texas

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Mar 89 16:08:49 CST
From: Michael Farlow -- Captain Video <X098MF%TAMVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: NASA's Computer Virus Video

Send Replies and Comments to:   Michael Farlow
                                Texas A&M University
                                X098MF@TAMVM1.Bitnet
                                TMFHELP@VENUS.TAMU.EDU

Due to the increase in interest on the subject of Computer Viruses and
the Macintosh, I feel it it prudent for me to share some information that
I have found recently that may help make us more aware of what is
happenning when an infection occurs.  And as GI Joe says, "Knowing is
half the battle."

The following is a transcription of an article found in the March 7th
issue of MacWeek written by Emily Brower:

  "Mac users looking for information on computer viruses can get an
  eduction from a video tutorial released by NASA's Macintosh Users
  Group.

  "The 20-minute video, created on a Macintosh II using MacroMind's
  VideoWorks II Interactive, includes detailed informatin on how to
  detect virus infection using ResEdit.  The tape also reviews his-
  torical information on virus development and lists possible future
  uses of computer viruses, including indutstrial espionage, electro-
  nic warfare and network destruction.

  "According to the videotape, self-replicating code was perfected in
  the pre-virus 1970s by computer war-game programmers -- hackers
  who wrote small programs that did battle with other programs in the
  computer's memory.  Self-replication was a standard defense technique
  employed to protect their code from destruction.

  "Along with this historical perspective, the video gives a graphic
  demonstration on using ResEdit to detect infections from Scores to
  nVIR strains.  The demonstration does not address detection of more
  recent viruses such as INIT29 and ANTI.

  "Copies of the tape are available from NASA for $15, while the 10-
  disk VideoWorks Tutorial can be purchased for $20.  Users groups
  are encouraged to distribute the tape and programs to their members.

  "For more information, write to:

                 David Lavery
                 President, NASA Macintosh Users Group
                 NASA Headquarters  Mail Code RC
                 Office of Aeronautics and Space Technology
                 600 Independence Av., SW.
                 Washington, DC  20546"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 89  22:34:11 CST
From: RAGAN%CDCCentr.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Password Protecting Folders

Folder Locker/Unlocker allows you to password protect folders
on your disk.  Once protected, the contents of a folder
cannot be examined, deleted, replaced, etc. unless the folder
has been unlocked using the password.  This is a limited
functionality version of the full product. It still permits
protecting one folder and the overall security is reduced
over that of the full product.

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/folder-locker.hqx; 30K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 89 14:35 EST
From: Michael Travers <mt@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
Subject: Weird MS-Word problem

I've had a problem with shared volumes as well. I'ved closed a file
on one machine, and attempted to open it on another, bu get the complaint
that the file is busy. When I quit word on the original, the file becomes
unbusy. Apparently Word is making a file busy during the duration of a
session, as opposed to during the time that the file is open.

-alan

End of Info-Mac Digest