Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/22/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 21 Mar 89       Volume 7 : Issue  56

Today's Topics:
                 A/UX compatibility with "real" unix?
                            Fade to Black
                          FoxBase Utilities
                  getting started in LSC--responses
                       LISTSERV-Punch question
                            Mac Interrupts
                            MAC SE prices
                        Mouse Driven Keyboard
                      Nightwatch - don't buy it!
                    Results of CPU board survey...
                              Sit Story
                     Translating picture formats.
                           Vendacard system
                             Warning v1.1
                        Weird MS-Word problem

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 89 08:57:34 PST
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuq@apple.com>
Subject: A/UX compatibility with "real" unix?

I don't know what you mean by compatibility, but I wonder about people who
claim it isn't compatible with "real" Unix. A/UX 1.1 is SVR2 with many
Berkeley enhancements, you can get X windows for it, it's fully confirming
to FIPS #151 and Posix, runs NFS, RPC and Yellow Pages and I've pulled nu
many programs off the net recently and they've compiled with no problems.

If that's not compatibility, what is?

chuq

------------------------------

Date: 19 Mar 89 18:03:44 PST (Sun)
From: decwrl!apple!cxsea!blm@labrea.stanford.edu (Brian Matthews)
Subject: Fade to Black

Attached is version 3.1.1 of Fade to Black.  It fixes three problems with
version 3.0:

- In one spot, Fade to Black failed to check a memory allocation.  If
  this allocation failed, Fade used a 0 pointer for various operations,
  eventually crashing or resetting the machine.

- In those cases where Fade did check for a failed memory allocation, it
  beeped each second while it tried to fade and couldn't get enough
  memory.  This could be more than annoying, so now Fade just beeps the
  first time it can't allocate memory each time it fades.

- In certain cases while running Multifinder, Fade would attempt
  Quickdraw operations with an invalid value in A5, crashing the machine.
  It now sets up A5 correctly.

Brian L. Matthews  blm@cxsea.UUCP   ...{mnetor,uw-beaver!ssc-vax}!cxsea!blm

[Archived as /info-mac/init/fade-to-black.hqx; 70K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 89 01:56:43 EST
From: Alexis Rosen <decwrl!decvax!ccnysci!alexis@labrea.stanford.edu>
Subject: FoxBase Utilities

Here are three utilities I wrote to make programming FoxBase a little more
convenient.

The first program, FoxBinder, takes a collection of program files and
"procedurizes" them into one. It automatically inserts the necessary
"Procedure xxx" lines before each module, and a "Set Procedure To" command
at the beginning of the generated file.

The second program, FoxMenus, takes any resource file with one or more
menu resources and generates a new foxbase program which creates menus
just like the ones in the resource(s). (Even icons, marks, and command
keys.)  There are different option for naming the menu array so there
won't be conflict with your other code.

The last program, MenuChange XCMD installer, installs an XCMD into any
file you chose (or it will create a new file for you). The XCMD, callable
by foxbase, will alter FoxBases menus in any way the toolbox allows (and
one way it doesn't). Now you can add check marks, icons, or command keys
to your user menus. (You can do it to FoxBase menus too, but that seems
fairly profitless...)  You can add new menus or menu items, and delete
menus and items.  While all of these tasks can be done with FoxBase
commands, the XCMD can be ten to a hundred times faster. You also don't
need to carry around state information about disabled menus and items.
Lastly, it doesn't flicker the menu bar every time you make a change.

These three programs all have detailed help screens. The help may be
printed.

All three programs are in one binhexed stuffit archive.

Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}

[Archived as /info-mac/app/foxbase-utilities.hqx; 42K]

------------------------------

Date: 21-Mar-89, 8:00EST
From: zoda537@uta3081.bitnet ("Josh Hayes")
Subject: getting started in LSC--responses

Well.  My power supply went blooey, and a couple days later
when I got back on line there were ALL THESE RESPONSES waiting
for me.  Thanks to everyone who wrote back.  Here's the gist
of what they say:

1.  First, several folks recommended getting a few things
>From the sumex archives, to wit:

info-mac/source/c-generic-da.hqx
    "    "    "/c-generic-init.txt
    "    "    "/c-transdisplay-20.hqx
    "    "    "/c-transedit-20.hqx
    "    "    "/transskel-c-201.hqx

These things are skeletons of proper program constructions for
each of the categories, i.e. da, init, and so forth.  I understand
they're public domain, but am not sure about whether they're
free- or shareware.  Caveat emptor.

2.  Rich Siegel sez that the manuals for LSC 3.0 contain some
chapters with detail about getting going in the Mac environment,
thus the upgrade is certainly worth it if you haven't already.

3.  I was directed to a package called "SimpleTools", supposedly
in sumex archives somewhere.  This may be the same as the stuff
listed above; I have not yet found a file or subdirectory of
that title but I haven't looked very hard.

4.  Chris Eliot supposed I had Kernigham and Ritchie:  The C
Programming Language as a source.  Also included two tips:
     a.  Include the correct libraries always.  Failure causes
         lots of link errors (a problem I have been having...)
     b.  Be aware of the "require prototypes" option, which will
         catch some otherwise sneaky bugs.

5.  Possible vaporware from Michael Webb (confirmed by a nameless
person at THINK):  Programming The Macintosh In Lightspeed C, due
out soon from Addison-Wesley (I was told April).  Hosanna.

6.  Finally, a HUGE list of stuff from Eric Keller, which follows;
     a.  Shildt and Herbert:  "C: The Complete Reference" Osborne
         McGraw-Hill.
     b.  "C-Extender"; software (?) from Invention Software, Ann
         Arbor, Michigan, (313)996-8108.  Two volumes, reported
         price $70 (per volume? Both?).  Aids in developing menus,
         windows, buttons, and other Mac-ish things.
     c.  Inside Macintosh.  All of it.  Ho, ho, ho.  But I see his
         point and others pointed out the same thing:  to program
         on the Mac you have to understand the Mac.  Sigh.
     d.  Takatsuka, Huxham and Burnard:  "Using the Macintosh
         Toolbox with C"  Sybex.
     e.  Mednieks and Schilke:  "C Programming Techniques for the
         Macintosh"  Sams (Indianapolis).
     f.  Finally, when you get to be a whiz, join APDA for a measly
         $20/yr.  My only problem is that I'll have to sell my Mac
         to buy all this stuff in the first place....

Thanks to all who wrote back.  Hope this helps other budding
C programmers out there.

Josh Hayes                               zoda537@uta3081.bitnet
Zoology Dept.                            zoda537@uta3081.cc.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX  78712

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Mar 89 20:34 PDT
From: "BRIAN KLAAS, CH3 POLE J7, MAILSTOP CH3-69" <BKLAAS%scdtst@sc.intel.com>
Subject: LISTSERV-Punch question

Howdy,

I have downloaded a couple of programs from the LISTSERV at rice.  The
files with character length > 80 come accross in LISTSERV-Punch format.

Does anyone know of a program on the mac that will decode these files?  I
am sure it is a pretty simple thing to do...I have the instructions, and
a sample program in C and Turbo-Pascal, but neither seam to work on the
VAX here correctly.  I do not know enough about either language to easily
correct the problems.

Any help would be appreciated,

Brian Klaas
BKLAAS%CH3@sc.intel.com               BKLAAS%CH3%sc.intel.com@relay.cs.net

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 89 10:55:38 EST
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@PICA.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Mac Interrupts

I've received the following replies to my queries about interrupt codes for
the Mac SE. This is what you type when you hit the programmer's switch on
the side of your mac. My thanks to those who responded. The respondees and
their suggestions follow.

John Doner <doner%henri@hub.ucsb.edu>
Jonathan Leblang <jonathan@starbase.mitre.org>
Jon Schachter <jonath@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Kenneth Sussmann <sussmann@pica.army.mil>

     G 409B24 (Mac SE ROM ExitToShell instruction)

Frank Beatrous <beatrous@pittvms.bitnet>
collaudg@cfruni51.bitnet
Declan A. Rieb <darieb@sandia.gov>
jl <langowski@frembl51.bitnet>
Larry Rosenstein <goofy!apple.com!lsr@apple.com>

     SM 0 A9F4 (Mac ExitToShell instruction - machine independent)
     G 0

Chris Sterritt <sterritt%sdevax.decnet@ge-crd.arpa>
David Fedor <ST602284@rownvm.bitnet>

     SM 0 3F3C 0002 A895 (ROM independent way to do it)
     G 0

James Li <jamesli@uwav1.acs.washington.edu>

     SM FA700 A9F4 (More bomb-proof than G 409B24 or SM 0 A9F4/G 0)
     PC FA700

Karl <kwaldman@wash-vax.bbn.com>

     Use Macsbug

Patrick Beard <beard@ux3.lbl.gov>

     Macsbug 6.0 or TMON

Margret Buckley <buckley@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>

     G 4080D5CE (Mac II only)

Hope this helps all.

tom c

Electromagnetic Armament Technology Branch, US Army Armament Research,
Development and Engineering Center Picatinny Arsenal, NJ 07806-5000
ARPA: tcora@pica.army.mil -or- tcora@ardec.arpa
UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!tcora

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 89 16:08:35 EST
From: Erwin Alex Prassler <prassler@ai.toronto.edu>
Subject: MAC SE prices

Hi folks,
I would like to sweaten my life by buying a Mac SE 20MB, a
printer and a modem. However, I am not only a novice in this
newsgroup but also in North America (I arrived from Europe a
few days ago) and, of course, I have no idea where to make a
good deal. So, I would appreciate any piece of information
about reasonable prices and places where I can buy that stuff.
                    Thanks in advance.
                         Erwin (e-mail: prassler@ai.toronto.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 89 11:04:37 CST
From: CB Lih <CL06076%UAFSYSB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mouse Driven Keyboard

Hello, does anyone know if the desk accessory 'Mouse Driven Keyboard' is
available through BITNET or FTP?  The DA presents an onscreen keyboard
which can be used with the mouse to provide keyboard input.  It was
written by John Halleck.  Any information or the DA itself would be
appreciated.

      =---> CB Lih <---=  "Picked up for questioning."
Macintosh Support
BITNET: CL06076@UAFSYSB    AppleLink: U0669    Phone: 501-575-2905
US Mail: ADSB 220, University of Arkansas
         155 Razorback Road, Fayetteville, AR 72701, USA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 89 08:53:37 CET
From: "Willem N. Ellis" <A429WILL%HASARA11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Nightwatch - don't buy it!

I was dismayed to discover that the Nightwatch hard disk protection
program, that I had just obtained from Camelot Computing, Reading, UK,
refused to be installed on system versions later than 4.3, now that version
6 is around quite some time.
The manual advices that a user refuses to accept the package if the
envelope containing the disk has been opened. Yet, only after that has been
done does the limitation to the old system version becomes apparent. The
manual tells nothing of the sort.

Athough I do appreciate that the program intercepted my attempt to be loaded
on an untested system version (6.0.2), I am upset by the discovery of the
degree of system dependency. Given the life expectancy of Macintosh system
versions, the system dependency of the Nightwatch hard disk protection
means that a user has to stick with an antiquated system version after
some six months.
   What would be the result if a user inadvertently installed a newer
version of the system on a hard disk that is protected by the current
Nightwatch version is another point that is not covered by the manual.

W.N. Ellis, Institute of Taxonomic Zoology,
Plantage Middenlaan 64, 1018 DH Amsterdam, The Netherlands
bitnet: a429will@hasara11

------------------------------

Date: 20 Mar 89 23:02:00 EST
From: "Charles E. Bouldin" <bouldin@sed.ceee.nbs.gov>
Subject: Results of CPU board survey...

These are the only replies I got to my query about folks who use accelerator
baords in a Mac+ or SE.

I am using the Dove MachIISE (now called Marathon) w/1Meg, no 68881 on a
2.5M SE w/Warp 9 P30i 30M hard drive. I initially had bad problems getting
the accelerator to work with the Warp 9, but had good tech support from
both companies. The problem was never really solved, but a workaround was
found by using the 68881 PAL (not the 68881 itself), which seemed to affect
boot timing (the Warp 9 was crashing when the 68020 booted).

The performance improvement has been disappointing, compared to ad copy
claiming as good as MacII.  Most things DO run faster (1.5-2x) and I cant
do without it now, but a Mac II it aint. The II has much faster disk access
and transfer rate, as well as 32-bit memory.

There are still some bugs and annoyances with the Dove board: you cant format
floppies without turning off the cache, and you cant turn off the cache
w/o a System crash. Who needs floppies anyway?

Rich Fozzard
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu

I'm using a Supermac accelerator for my MacPlus. Basically very
pleased with the speed (I've got the equivalent of a Mac II in my
Plus now), but extremely frustrated with the many bombs created by
oxydation between the CPU feet and the bolt-on. This is especially
painful in the hot and humid summer months. I am running an extra
external fan that blows air into the lower left slits and am
definitely reducing the failure rate that way. This summer, I will
move the Mac into an airconditioned environment. I find that when
oxydation occurs, the only thing that will really fix the problem
is to turn the machine off and to bang it solidly on a moderately
soft surface, such as a carpet! This is truly antidiluvian and I've
been tempted many times to get the board removed, but then, I just
couldn't face going back to MacPlus-type speeds. So I keep banging.
I'm also ordering a MacSE-30 this week for working outside the
airconditioned office.

Eric Keller

To which I can add that the Novy systems boards do not work well either when
*clipped* onto the 68000. Much better to have pins soldered onto the 68K and
attach the board to the pins. After frustrating daily-weekly failures I have
run my Mac+ with Novy systems 16 mhz 020/881 for almost two years--absolutely
flawless performance and 1.15 times Mac II speed. I also had early problems
with disc drive compatibility, but Novy and MacBottom each have come out with
drivers that solved the problem.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 89 08:02:15 CST
From: Frank W. Peters <peters@cc.msstate.edu>
Subject: Sit Story

In Info-Mac Digest V7 #55 You wrote:

>	I have been on a long, arduous journey attempting to access
>the archives at White Sands Missle Base in New Mexico.
>	3. The trip to the Macs from our
>Suns is done over our Ethernet, using the Mac/IP product which we obtained
>	   from Stanford.

     We have had a great deal of trouble with preserving the macintosh file
type and creator information when transfering files between suns and Stanford's
Mac/IP package.  Do you have one of the many packages that will allow you to
modify the creator and type of a file?  If so, use it to set the creator and
type of your .sit file to 'SIT!' (case sensitive I think).  Stuffit should
recognize it then and, based on our experience, it should unstuff fine.

                           Have a happy day
                           Frank Peters

| Systems Programmer                 |   Mississippi State University  |
| Phone:    (601) 325-2942           |   Computing Center and Services |
| Internet:  peters@CC.MsState.Edu   |   Post Office Drawer CC         |
| BITNET:    PETERS@MSSTATE.BITNET   |   Mississippi State, MS.  39762 |
"What if I wanna worry?  What if I *like* being unhappy??"

------------------------------

Date: Tue 21 Mar 89 09:16:26-EST
From: FAUSETT@radc-tops20.arpa
Subject: Translating picture formats.

Does anyone know of a utility to translate TIFF format files to grey-scale
picts?  To sun raster images?
Thanks,
mark (fausett@radc-tops20.arpa)
-------

------------------------------

Date: 21 March 1989, 08:53:56 EDT
From: David William Wrage <IRPGMR7@OUACCVMB.bitnet>
Subject: Vendacard system

Quick background on my situation:

1 LaserWriter Plus
1 ImageWriter //
8 Macintosh SEs (no hard drives)
LocalTalk/AppleTalk network

Here's what I'm thinking about getting:

The venda card system by XCP to regulate the use of the LaserWriter.

Problems:

Is there any way to keep one user from printing out while another user's
card is in the vendacard machine?

Better yet, is there a better system than XCP for this situation?
  Here are the specs:
    1.  Every Mac must have access.
    2.  It must be thoroughly compatible with LocalTalk/AppleTalk
    3.  It must be able to somehow keep users from printing out their
        stuff with somebody else's card in the system.
         (Heck, if I have to go to a coin-operated machine, I will)

Conclusion:

If anybody out there has a situation like this and has found a solution,
send me info or an address or even a phone number so that I can find out
how to solve my dilemma.

David William Wrage  a.k.a.  The Frenchman

'I don't have a nifty saying yet, but I'll think of one.....'

Address:  IRPGMR7@OUACCVMB.BITNET

US Mail:  David Wm Wrage
          Alden Instructional Support Lab
          Alden Library Room 260B
          Ohio University
          Athens, Ohio  45701
          United States

Telephone:  (614) 593-2660

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1989 22:15:35 PST
From: William Lipa <lipa@polya.stanford.edu>
Subject: Warning v1.1

This is the latest version of the Warning init. Warning checks your System
file for the known types of viruses each time you start up. If it finds an
infection, you are presented with an alert which describes the situation and
asks you whether to continue or reboot. It is designed for use by non-
technical people; no knowledge of viruses or of ResEdit is required.

Warning does not check applications for viruses and only checks the System at
startup. Therefore, it does not provide complete security against viruses.
However, since it is so easy to use (you just put it in your System Folder
and forget about it), it may give you more protection in practice than
programs like Virus RX which must be run manually.

Changes since previous versions: Get Info text added so users can verify that
they have downloaded the file correctly; checks for ANTI and AIDS added.

This program may not work correctly on international systems because
I do not know a robust way to determine the name of the Finder. The global
called FinderName is not initialized at INIT time.

Bill Lipa

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/warning-11.hqx; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Mar 89 05:10:15 -0500 (EST)
From: "William M. Bumgarner" <wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Weird MS-Word problem

Apparently, Word fails to close a file until you either quit or issue the
next open command...

If you don't want to open/quit a copy of word (or can't), use a D/A such
as DeskZap to close the open file.  This can be very dangerous if the file
really is open (in a window) and there are unsaved changes...

DeskZap should be in the info-mac archives.

Once again, a big thanks to Microsoft for so carefully following the Inside
Mac guidelines--- :-(  (seriously; Word is excellent BUT it does too many,
non-standard, evil things).

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

End of Info-Mac Digest