Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/30/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 29 Mar 89       Volume 7 : Issue  58

Today's Topics:
                 [DCGQAL]GER.XSE0010!Re: Windows cdev
                             amusing item
                         BITNET mail follows
                            CL/1, anybody?
                          Flowchartting App.
                             Foxbase+/Mac
                             MIDI Manager
                               RWatcher
                      Spelling Coach crashes...
                             ThunderScan
                  Undocumented "feature" in Foxbase+
                         Using Color Icons...
                 Yet another strange MS-Word Problem

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 07:10:12 PST
From: "DASnet" <XB.DAS@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [DCGQAL]GER.XSE0010!Re: Windows cdev

I tracked down the blinking cursor to be an interaction of "Windows" with
Multifinder 6.1. This will be fixed in the next release. If this is not the
case on your system (you aren't using Multifinder 6.1, please tell me).

Joachim Lindenberg
author of "Windows" cdev
GER.XSE0010@applelink.apple.com

=END=

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 89 10:16:26 est
From: siochi@vtodie.cs.vt.edu (A. Siochi)
Subject: amusing item

I was cleaning out my files the other day when I came across this gem. I do not
recall who sent it to me, much less who the author is.

			ELECTRONIC GRAINS

	The Vegetable Computer was invented in 1842 by Charles Cabbage,
regarded by many as the father of the field. Cabbage called his computer
the Agricultural Engine. Modern versions consist of rose and rose of
integrated carrots connected to a flower supply by a maize of wires. Input
is from pea switches, yard weeder, and tell-he's-ripe. A hayseed vine
printer may be used to generate hard coffee, while a vegetable display
unit supports interactive composting. Main memory consists of interleaved
beet-addressable magnetic corn. Secondary store consists of plough discs
and grape drives. All peripherals are daisy chained.
	A later version of the Agricultural Engine was known as AR-16
(after Agricultural Revolution). It was based on the sack discipline,
first perfected by the Barrow Combine, and sprouted a high-swede paper
tape reaper for the first lime.
	Early computer consumed large amounts of power. Many required
their own electric spud-station to seed them and had to overcome the
problem of providing adequate Lentilation. Such problems caused many
a furrowed brow in the pasture and we cannot expect to avoid harrowing
days ahead. However, the many fertile minds that constitute the rate-
of-the-cart computer technology cannot fail to produce the harvest of
the future, particularly with the bloom of very large scale irrigation.
Artificial pollination techniques grafted on paralled earthworms will
soon be producing computers proudly proclaiming "I think, therefore
I yam." All chokoes aside, we can look beyond the melon-cauli thymes
through the winnow of the ears till the salad days ahead. Lettuce advance
to the world to two marrows. To those reactionaries who would turn back
the docks we say, "hoe! hoe! hoe!".

					Herb and Russel Sprout,
					Rice Presidents,
					Assocn. for Cultivating Machinery

------------------------------

Date: 24 Mar 89   10:39 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: BITNET mail follows

Date: 24 March 1989, 09:26:58 EST
From: WMLBTAM at UCCCVM1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU

We are trying to get on AppleLink with our Mac IIx, but are having trouble
using the AppleLink 4.0 disk with our Intecom IBX digital branch exchange.
There is an IBXv4.0.CCL script to use, but it doesn't seem to match the timing
the ADIs (Asynchronous Data Interfaces--take the place of modems on the
digital phone system).

We've gotten hold of the CCL documentation manual, including the quick ref
manual, and have learned how to print out the CCL script.  It appears from the
manual that some things may be hard-coded which could cause problems; e.g.,
a "+++ATH" seems to be hard-coded as a hang-up string, which is fine for
Hayesian modems but means bupkis to the ADI.

We'll keep looking over the script, in hopes of modifying it to work on our
ADIs and our IBX--but has anyone else out there managed to successfully
AppleLink through an IBX?  We finally managed to solve the timeout problem
on the ADIs by strapping RS232 line 4 to line 20 in the usual Mini-8-to-DB25M
"modem" cable, to keep the ADI happy that the line is occupied.

Any comments, help, appreciated; will summarize to the net if enough folks
seem to need it...

Ted

Theodore Allan Morris                         | 231 Bethesda Avenue, ML# 574
University of Cincinnati Medical Center       | Cincinnati, OH  45267-0574
Medical Center Information and Communications | 513-558-6046 (W), 731-3451 (H)
Information Research and Development          | WMLBTAM@UCCCVM1 or AppleLink
==============================================| U1091 (you-one-zero-nine-one)
Call me up and I'll talk data to ya'!         | or NTS WB8VNV

------------------------------

Date: 24 Mar 89   10:46 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: CL/1, anybody?

Date: 24 March 1989, 10:41:26 EST
From: WMLBTAM at UCCCVM1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU

Would like to talk with anyone using/knowledgable about CL/1.  Would also
like to know addresses/contacts to reach following CL/1 software developers:

Fairfield Software, Fairfield IA (ClearAccess)
Andyne Computing (Graphical Query Language)
Neuron Data, Palo Alto CA (Nexpert Object)

We have Oracle/VMS and are looking for nice ways to integrate info from its
databases into other Mac applications.  Oracle/Mac seems extremely limited, as
it uses HyperCard as a front end (and all the limitations that imposes on
graphics, etc.).  We are, however, interested in exploring how hard we can
push that front end, for additional windows, colors in windows, etc.--kind of
like what we're hearing Supercard will do...

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 14:40:11 EST
From: DJ WOOD <DWOOD@UDCVM>
Subject: Flowchartting App.

I was told by one of my instructors that a local Macuser group(Washington Apple
Pie) has a program that allows the user to graphicly create flowcharts. If any
of my fellow mac-netters know of such a program, please send my the infomation
directly. If by chance you have some shareware that will fulfill my request ple
ase send it to me.

NOTE: I don't need any one of you telling me that I can use a paint/draw progra
m. That defeates the purpose.

Thanx

DJ WOOD

------------------------------

Date: 23 Mar 89   09:10 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Foxbase+/Mac

Date: 23 March 1989, 09:06:46 EST
From: WMLBTAM at UCCCVM1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU

Well, based in part on your replies, plus our own reviews of the literature
and our own situation vis a vis programming experience/time to develop new
applications, we have bought Foxbase+/Mac as our "low end" dbms environment.
We're really happy with it so far, and the future looks bright as they are
supposed to be testing an Oracle/Mac link which would let Foxbase+ code reach
into Oracle databases (we're already an Oracle/VMS shop).

Does anyone out there have any other templates you've developed or traded for?
We'd like to see anything you feel comfortable sharing, and would gladly
exchange for any new templates we create.  Thanks!

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 89 09:53:48 -0900
From: Reed Rector                      <SXWRR%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MIDI Manager

    In the April issue of Electronic Musician there is a reference to Apple
showing the "MIDI Manager" at the winter NAMM show (p. 12). Does anyone
out there have any information on this??? Is it the long awaited fixes to
the Sound Manager, or is it an entirly different package? When will this
be available to the general public, and where can I get it????

    Thanks in advance,
        Reed Rector
        sxwrr@alaska (bitnet)
        sxwrr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (internet)

p.s. Concerning the source code for the GIF encoder/decoder..... I am having
some problems getting the encoder to work, and I want to make sure that it
is a problem with my use of it, and not a bug in the source before I post
it to the archive. So for all those that sent me messages asking me to
send this stuff to the archive, I'm not ignoring you, and I should have the
problems ironed out in the next couple of weeks. I'll post 'em then.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 89 18:49:05 PST
From: jln@accuvax.nwu.edu
Subject: RWatcher

Many people have asked me if and when I'll be updating RWatcher to catch the
new viruses (as configured RWatcher only catches Scores and nVIR).  I thought
I'd take this opportunity to reply. Until recently I planned to update it, but
now I DONT'T plan to update it!

I originally wrote RWatcher for those non-MPW programmers who refuse to use
Vaccine because of its constant complaints about the creation of CODE
resources.  Vaccine's checks are much stronger than RWatcher's, so I've always
recommended Vaccine for everybody else.  Now there's a new INIT/cdev called
GateKeeper, by Chris Johnson, that has even stronger checks than Vaccine's,
and can be configured to grant "exemptions" to individual programs.  So I now
recommend that programmers who won't use Vaccine get GateKeeper and configure
it to make their development tools exempt.

So as far as I'm concerned RWatcher is defunct - it served its purpose for a
brief period of time, but now there's a better tool.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University

Bitnet:      jln@nuacc
Internet:    jln@acns.nwu.edu
AppleLink:   a0173
CompuServe:  76666,573

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 89 16:15 PDT
From: JAMESLI@toby.acs.washington.edu
Subject: Spelling Coach crashes...

Anyone using the desk accessory Coach Professional have
problems with it crashing (usually no system bomb, just
lockup) when using it with Word (3.02)? The problem is
fairly random, crashing sometimes after a minute of
use, and other times after half an hour. It does crash,
however, just about each time the two programs are used
together, even if Coach is loaded but not being used.

I've talked with the folks at Deneba who make Coach and
they swear that they don't have any idea what's going on.
We've got system 6.02 running with multifinder on an
AppleShare network (about a dozen SEs and IIs). The INITs
we use are the following: Init CDEV, On Cue, Pointing Device,
Pyro3.3, QuickKeys, SFVol INIT 1.5, Shield INIT, SoundMaster,
Suitcase II, and SuperClock!. I suspect it is one (or a
combination) of these INITs (the catch-all rationale for
the Mac crash), but in about eight hours of fiddling with
the order and such of these INITs I come up with nada.

Anybody with information, even if it pertains to one of
these INITs crashing other programs, please call me collect
at (206) 545-1920. Or use internet.

P.S. 4th Dimension rumor from January developers meeting
in this area: Vaccine and Pyro (? version) said to cause
4D crashes. (In truth, we've tried running 4D with and
without these INITs and, especially in the multiuser mode,
the program still crashes all the time...)

James Li, Systems Manager
The Washington Technology Center, Seattle
internet: JAMESLI@UWAV1.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU

Rewards for info.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 12:19:10 CDT
From: decwrl!ucbvax!pro-party.cts.com!d.m.p.@labrea.stanford.edu (Don Peaslee)
Subject: ThunderScan

After reading the informative article from Sandro Corsi, I have another tip or
two concerning the use of ThunderScan and the ImageWriter:

I've found it works much better to place the image to be be scanned directly
against the rear of the platen when winding it in -- on the _wrong_ side of
the metal protector that surrounds the platen.  (Insert a business card,
sticky-note, or other suitable object behind the metal protector to make the
printer think that there is paper in the machine.) The image is more tightly
held this way, and therefore, there is less chance for slippage.

If you take the little magnet off of the "key" that ThunderScan provides with
the scanner, and glue it underneath the sensor, you won't have to worry about
the key any longer and can run the printer with the cover off.  Obviously,
keep your hands (and anything else that doesn't belong) out of the printer
when the protective cover is missing in this way.  I never did like leaving
the cover on, this included printing envelopes, etc, so there are other
reasons for this simple fix.

I used an Imagewriter I in the above, not sure that the same exact advice
would hold true for an IW II.

Don

------------------------------

Date: 24 Mar 89   15:17 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Undocumented "feature" in Foxbase+

We were having a problem with Foxbase+/Mac, which we called in to Fox
with no success.

When we opened up our application, and the user would start entering
data, we wanted to be able to have them click to open a second window
which contains a scrollable text box of all valid data choices, and an
OK and CANCEL button set.  Foxbase+ offers this functionality in a
window which looks very much like a modal dialog box.

However, it WASN'T a modal dialog box--clicking outside of it in the
"main" window made the main window active...while your code is still
trapped, waiting for a selection from the text box, an OK, or a
CANCEL.  No activity in the main window is turned on.  Sure, if the
user is smart/lucky enough to go back to the dialog window, s/he can
click an appropriate response, but we needed to have the box be a TRUE
modal dialog box, i.e., can't click out of it until you deal with its
options.

Our programmer finally figured it out when looking at some other
generated code produced by Foxbase+, in a dialog box with only radio
buttons and OK/CANCEL:  the attribute <FIXED> for the SCREEN command.
This is not documented among the attributes in the manual.

Fox's first response to the problem of clicking outside the dialog box
was "Why would anyone want to do that?"  I guess they never heard of
fiddlers, novices, or end-user physicians :-).  When we called them
back and talked to another tech, he said, "Yeah, I use that in all my
code--but I never knew what it did!"

Anyone else out there have any interesting "non-documented" "features"
we should know about?

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 13:14:52 CST
From: Michael Farlow -- Captain Video <X098MF%TAMVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Using Color Icons...

Recently, our we aquired a Mac IIx for our Graphics Lab.  I saw the stuff for
the color Icons in the archives and downloaded it.  What I would like to do is
to place the Icons that I have created into Facade.  I know how to do it with
B&W Icons, but I cant seem to get to color ones to go there.  What do I have
to do to make this work???

Michael Farlow             X098MF@TAMVM1.BITNET
Texas A&M University       X098MF@TAMVM1.TAMU.EDU
CSC Graphics Lab

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 89 15:22:52 CST
From: Michael Farlow -- Captain Video <X098MF%TAMVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Yet another strange MS-Word Problem

The Setup:  MS-Word v3.02, (on AppleShare 2.0), System 6.0.2, Vaccine,
            Suitcase II and Facade as  INITS

The Problem:  When the user is editing his document, he can see all of the
     Paragraph in question. But when he prints, Word consistently drops (does
     not print) the last 3 words of the paragraph.  When I looked in the
     Page Preview mode whilst trying to solve the problem, The 3 words were
     there.  But when I print just that page (the document is 80 pages long),
     they disappear again.

What is going on?????  Did I miss a Feeding time with my LaserWriter II-NT and
it is eating random words as a light snack??

If there is a solution, or any ideas, please send them to:

                   X098MF@TAMVM1.Bitnet or
                   X098MF@TAMVM1.TAMU.EDU

                                      Thanx,

                                   Michael Farlow