Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (04/03/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun,  2 Apr 89       Volume 7 : Issue  60

Today's Topics:
                          Crashes with Coach
                      GNU e?grep 1.3 executables
                        GNU e?grep 1.3 sources
                        HyperCard intro stack
                     Info-Mac Digest V7 (2 msgs)
                          Macs and Wangs...
                    New version of macps & prepfix
    no longer supported software, or software by defunct companies
                          Other INFO Digest
                              Repair 1.5
                               Rolodex
                                Spiro!
                                 Spy!
                   Straight into my living room...
                     TCP/IP, FTP, Telnet for Mac?
                         THINK C 3.02 Updater
                      ToMultiFinder Version 3.0
                       What with Giffer cluts?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 89 20:58:26 CST
From: Jeff E Mandel MD MS <AS01MEF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: Crashes with Coach

James Li writes regarding crashes with Coach, and mentions that he is
using the INIT On Cue. My experience with this INIT indicates that the
ORIGINAL version (not the new version with the sword in the icon)
can cause some wierd and unexplained crashes. I traced down the problem
about six months ago while writing a very strange IO driver, and my
recollection is hazy, but essentially the problem is that if your application
messes with the menu bar in the wrong way, and you are running MultiFinder,
and have Backgrounder running, you will eventually get clobbered. This
is because Backgrounder has
no menu list, and the bug in On Cue permits it to get confused
about menu lists and think they are proc pointers, and eventually you execute
the proc at memory location zero, and boom! If you are running with MacsBug,
and look in the AppName global (DM 910), you will see "Backgrounder" is the
current application. Fortunately, there is a workaround for this problem.
Get the current version of OnCue and/or throw away the old one.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 20:46:34 CDT
From: "David D "Zoo" Zuhn" <zuhn@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu>
Subject: GNU e?grep 1.3 executables

Here is a port of gnu e?grep 1.3 to MPW.  This file contains
executables for grep and egrep, both of which use UN*X syntax
regular expressions.  Source code is contained in a different
posting.

Dave Zuhn
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
zuhn@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/util/mpw-gnu-egrep-13.hqx; 108K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 20:47:02 CDT
From: "David D "Zoo" Zuhn" <zuhn@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu>
Subject: GNU e?grep 1.3 sources

Here are the sources for gnu e?grep 1.3.  They are written for
mpw C 3.0.  The original code is by Mike Haertal.  Macintosh
modifications by David Zuhn.

David D Zuhn
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
zuhn@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/source/mpw-c-gnu-egrep-13.hqx; 154K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 89 09:29:04 -0600
From: Robert J. Hammen <hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: HyperCard intro stack

This is a HyperCard stack to be used in teaching introductory HyperCard
seminars.  It contains an underlying help system describing what each
card is for.  It's free.

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/hypercard-intro-11.hqx; 209K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 89 08:58:35 EST
From: "Bret Ingerman 315-443-1865" <INGERMAN%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7

   If the server is an AppleShare server, you rebuild the desktop just as
you would a local hard disk.  Hold down the COMMAND and OPTION keys while
the server volume is being mounted.  You will then be asked if you wish
to rebuild it.  Say YES and sit back for a while: it can take several
minutes.

Bret Ingerman                                INGERMAN@SUVM.bitnet
Microcomputer Consultant
Syracuse University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 89 09:02:38 EST
From: "Bret Ingerman 315-443-1865" <INGERMAN%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

   To receive a list of current BITNET servers and what audiences they
target, send the following message to LISTSERV@MARIST

                          SUBSCIBE NETMONTH your_full_name

  To learn more about BITNET and the various types of servers, send the
following message to LISTSERV@MARIST

                         GET BITNET USERHELP

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 89 23:56:14 EST
From: dmg@mitre.mitre.org
Subject: Macs and Wangs...

I need to transfer word processing files from a Wang ALLIANCE system to a
Mac.  I know that I can transfer the files from an ALLIANCE system to a Wang
VS system, and then to the Mac (using one of several different products)
without losing formatting information.  Is there a way to do this *without*
having to go through the VS (i.e. directly go from the ALLIANCE to the Mac).

Supposing that no such system exists to directly go from an ALLIANCE to a
Mac, does anyone have any comments about the systems that go between a Wang
VS system and a Mac?

Finally, does anyone know of an e-mail product that supports both Wangs and
Macs?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 89 15:05:45 PST
From: edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu
Subject: New version of macps & prepfix

Here is version 2.1 of macps & prepfix, to replace the current version.

Macps is a Unix program that takes an uploaded PostScript file created
on a Macintosh (by typing Command-F at the LaserWriter dialog box) and
includes an appropriately modified LaserPrep file so that the result
can be sent to a PostScript printer from Unix.  Since the Apple
LaserPrep files are copyrighted, I've included a program, prepfix, that
reads version 4.0 and up LaserPrep files, and edits them so that they
are compatible with Unix, and are even electronically mailable.

CHANGES IN VERSION 2.1

Version 2.1 of prepfix uses a safer method for turning on bit-smoothing
for non-Apple printers.  This should get around some of the problems
people have been having with specialized macros in the LaserPreps that
are Apple printer specific.  The -l and -p options in version 1.1 have
been replaced with the single -l option, and the limit on the number
of printers you can specify has been removed.

Also, prepfix removes some other various macros that cause
unpredictable problems, and a problem with Apple LaserWriter II/NTs
(but not other Apple printers).

Version 2.1 macps has several new options.  The -c option allow you to
specify the number of copies to generate (overriding any multiple copy
option that was specified on the Macintosh).  The -d option allows an
alternate directory to look for the macps.config file.  Finally, the -r
(raw) option suppresses the conversion of 8-bit binary into ASCII, and
is useful for some graphics programs that manipulate gray-scale images,
and produce 8-bit binary PostScript output.

Macps will even work with a NeXT laser printer, but (at least the 0.8
version of the operating system) will not do bit smoothing.  Beware,
though, that if you print Macintosh patterns at 400 dpi, they will
look funny.

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

[Archived as /info-mac/unix/macps-12.shar; 38K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 89 10:54:13 EST
From: alan@ems.media.mit.edu (Alan Ruttenberg)
Subject: no longer supported software, or software by defunct companies

This question has come up a number of times, so I am sending a message
to ask  if anyone knows anything about this. If I have software which
was written by a company no longer in business, can I freely give it
away. If not what is the status of this sort of thing. This has come
up twice for me. Once for objectllogo whose status is unclear at apple
now, and more recently for tksolver which a recent message claimed is
no longer available.

-alan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 89 9:29:28 EST
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@PICA.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Other INFO Digest

>Does someone have a list of other INFO Digest such as INFO-MAC?
>I know there are many of them but I don't have there net addresses.
>I have a special intrest in Networking, VAX, PC's, HyperCard, and SQL/INGRES.
>The addresses for the request of related (both specific and wider intrest)
>would be appreciated.
>
>Thank You,
>Darwin C. Weyh                            Hughes Aircraft Co., EDSG
>Phone: (213) 616-4836                     ARPA: WEYH@CHILI.HAC.COM

If you have FTP access, connect via anonymous FTP to nic.ddn.mil (26.0.0.73)
or (10.0.0.51). Change directories to 'netinfo' and download the file
'interest-groups.txt'. It is available as either one large (~265k) or seven
smaller files.

tom c

Electromagnetic Armament Technology Branch, US Army Armament Research,
Development and Engineering Center Picatinny Arsenal, NJ 07806-5000
ARPA: tcora@pica.army.mil -or- tcora@ardec.arpa
UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!tcora BITNET: Tcora@DACTH01.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 20 Mar 89 01:00:52 GMT
From: brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher)
Subject: Repair 1.5
Repair's nVIR recognition is now independent of the infecting agent
CODE resource ID and the System file INIT resource ID.  (This
generalization is not in response to a known variant; it is just a
precaution.)

For some varieties of nVIR, previous versions of Repair would fail to
recognize infection in a System file even though it recognized
infection in applications.  Version 1.5 extends Repair's recognition
generality to System files.

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher)

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/repair-15.hqx; 20K]

------------------------------

Date: 30 Mar 89 10:27 EDT
From: Joe_Murphy.CAC.CAC@a.darpa.mil
Subject: Rolodex

I am looking for a simple Rolodex program to maintain and print names
and phone numbers. If possible I would like to print these in a format
suitable for personal organizers/ Filofaxes.

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 89 21:43:03 MST
From: Andrew Stone CS.DEPT <stone%hydra.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu>
Subject: Spiro!

   Spiro! is a new form of software I dub "Cyberdelics". This
   program generates and animates various mathematical functions,
   producing mind-expanding artforms: you are the artist.
   Onscreen scrolls change the variables in the functions, my 5
   year old daughter has great fun with it. For color Macs only (sorry).
   If you like it, send me more algorithms to incorporate into the
   next version!

   --andrew				505-345-4800

||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||<<??>>||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||
||	   Andrew Stone	            ??		  Able was I            ||
||         stone@hydra.unm.edu	    <> 	    	ere I saw Elba          ||
||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||<<??>>||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||

[Archived as /info-mac/app/color-spiro.hqx; 60K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 89 19:49:29 EST
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@PICA.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Spy!

The Spy! CDEV displays Hard Disk space remaining, SysHeap, AppHeap and Stack
at the top of the screen. Written by Ed Kandrot of Cricket Software, it is
free.

Downloaded from Info Center BBS (914) 565-6696.

tom c

Bill the Cat sez: "Remember. If some weirdo in a blue suit
                    offers you some MS-DOS. JUST SAY NO!"
ARPA: tcora@pica.army.mil    UUCP:...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!tcora
 -or- tcora@ardec.arpa

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/spy.hqx; 11K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 89 08:31:58 EDT
From: Rocky_Olive@apex22.ceo.dg.com
Subject: Straight into my living room...

Please submit to Info-Mac Digest readers...
     I've been reading info-mac for about 5 months now and it has really
     helped me prepare for my future Mac purchase!  I've used Mac's on
     and off ever since the original Mac (my college days at North
     Carolina State University - go wolfpack!), but I was always too poor
     to own one.  Now that I have a "real job", I can stop dreaming and
     start buying (SE? SE/30? IIcx? ...?)!

     I still need to be frugal, though, so I have been carefully planning
     my purchase.  This newsletter has been VERY helpful and I hope to
     continue to learn from some of the (obviously) more experienced Mac
     users.  And, of course, I want to start trying out some of the
     archived goodies out there, along with submitting some of my own
     future works (mostly games, probably).

     This system will (of course) be for home use, so access to internet
     may be slightly more difficult.  Here's the only way I see it:

     Mac<==modem==>HostAtWork<==>CorpHqHost<==ftp==>StanfordArchives
           ? ? ?
     1) Now...my problem is this:  I can get the .hqx files from the
     StanfordArchives to my HostAtWork, but how should I get them to the
     Mac?  Will a terminal emulator running in ANSI mode retrieve files
     to the Mac?  Or is there something better?

     2) By the time the .hqx files get to the HostAtWork, they are in
     (Data General's) AOS/VS format.  DG has software to transfer to DOS,
     but I can't find anything for MacOS.  Will AppleFileExchange help me
     here?  Any other options?

     3) And how do I get the de-archiving utilities without the terminal
     emulator?  And vice versa?  Or am I just missing something here?  I
     would be glad to "support" shareware authors for software that is
     useful in getting me setup.

     4) Lastly, I intend to connect to CompuServe from home.  Any info on
     suitable terminal emulators?  Modems?

     Thanks so much!
     Please reply directly to me and I'll summarize.

     Rockford L. Olive
     Data General Corp.
     Technology Drive

------------------------------

Date: 29 Mar 89 18:32:10 PST (Wednesday)
From: "Bruce_Hamilton.OsbuSouth"@xerox.com
Subject: TCP/IP, FTP, Telnet for Mac?

We have a Mac II/ Laserwriter gathering dust.  I'm thinking of getting an
Ethernet card for it plus appropriate software and turning it into a
Postscript print server.

I'd appreciate recommendations on Ethernet cards and software for TCP/IP,
XNS, FTP, Telnet, print server, etc.  We have vanilla Mac OS (does it have
a name?), not any flavor of Unix.  (We do have lots of Suns running Unix,
if that helps.)

Kindly cc: me by e-mail, since I don't subscribe to the Digest or scan the
newsgroup.

Thanks,

--Bruce
CSNet: Hamilton.osbuSouth@Xerox.COM
UUCP: xerox.com!hamilton.osbuSouth
213/333-8075

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 89 11:00:18 EST
From: siegel@harvard.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel)
Subject: THINK C 3.02 Updater

This patcher fixes substantially the same bugs as the 3.01p4 patcher, and
addresses an incompatibility with the "SADE MultiFinder".

[Archived as /info-mac/lang/think-c-302-updater.hqx; 115K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 89 22:33:25 EST
From: siegel@harvard.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel)
Subject: ToMultiFinder Version 3.0

ToMultiFinder
Version 3.0
March 29, 1989
by Rich Siegel

ToMultiFinder is a program that offers the following features:

	- Easy choice between Finder and MultiFinder, for users who
	don't always want to use MultiFinder.

	- Ability to run multiple startup applications BEFORE running
	the Finder or MultiFinder - useful for programs such as
	SuperSpool/SuperLaserSpool, the InBox startup program, or
	others. (This is functionality that the Finder does not offer.)

	- Ease of use. Set it and forget it; ToMultiFinder can be configured
	to perform certain actions automatically after a variable time delay.
	This means that you can start your machine, go get some coffee and
	a muffin, and come back, and the Mac is ready for your use.

	- Low cost. ToMultiFinder is shareware, which means that you only
	have to send in the money if you use the program. The cost in this
	case is only $15.

	- Steady enhancements. As long as ToMultiFinder remains popular,
	upgrades will keep coming. This new version 3.0 is the direct result
	of user requests, all of which were accompanied by the appropriate
	shareware fee. Upgrades are freely available via most information
	services.

If you use ToMultiFinder, and have comments (good or bad), please contact
me. ToMultiFinder can be distributed freely, but may not be used as
incentive to purchase another product without my express written permission.
Also, this file must accompany the "ToMultiFinder" application.

ToMultiFinder is copyright )1989 by Richard M. Siegel. Portions are
copyright )1988 Symantec Corporation.

If you know of a BBS or information service that doesn't have ToMultiFinder
in its archives, please send it there.

I can be reached:

	Richard M. Siegel
	11 Hammond Street #9
	Waltham, MA 02154
	(617) 647-4825 [Nights and weekends]

To install ToMultiFinder, place it in your system folder, and use the
Finder's "Set Startup" command to set ToMultiFinder as the startup
application, and Finder as the startup shell (that is, not MultiFinder).
ToMultiFinder comes preconfigured to not run MultiFinder, and to wait
forever for user action.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/tomultifinder-30.hqx; 18K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Mar 89 18:04:02 EST
From: Eric Brunelle <eric%bnrmtl@iro.umontreal.ca>
Subject: What with Giffer cluts?

Bonjour!

   Last month I downloaded Giffer to our lab's only Mac II (sigh).  You
   should have seen the folks playing like kids with Danielle and Sondra
   and the like.  I even catched my boss, late one evening...

   This month I came across ScreenMaster and !DeskPict.  I tried to use
   them to make my favorite GIF picture respectively StartupPicture and
   background.  It almost worked, but I never was able to get the clut
   right.  It insists on coming up with the standard palette.  I tried
   using the Klutz DA inside Giffer to save the clut and paste it in the
   PICT2 file with ResEdit, but to no avail (the pasting worked but the
   picture still had the standard palette).  I can understand that it
   might not work with the background but it should work with the Startup-
   Picture.  What am I doing wrong?  Could it be the System version
   (our II still uses 5.0 (4.2))?  By the way, ScreenMaster docs mention
   that it works with PixelPaint documents, but I don't have PixelPaint.

  Eric Brunelle  |    "C'est la nuit qu'il est beau de croire a la lumiere."
  BNR-Montreal   |                               -- E. Rostand

End of Info-Mac Digest