Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (04/07/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu,  6 Apr 89       Volume 7 : Issue  64

Today's Topics:
                  [DCGQAL]GER.XSE0010!BroadCast 1.1
                   Catalog and Extent B*-Tree files
                            Daffy's laugh
                          Dead Dataframe 20
                              FTP to Mac
                       FTP unSTUFFING problems
                      Help: Disk editor needed.
                   Mac II Diagnostic Sound program
                  Message Box Command Recall Script
            More Cross Development Tools for the Macintosh
                              Real fonts
                             Space sound
                               TKSOLVER
                         ToMultiFinder 3.01

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Wed,  5 Apr 89 04:17:38 PDT
From: "DASnet" <XB.DAS@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [DCGQAL]GER.XSE0010!BroadCast 1.1

BroadCast 1.1 fixes the bug, that causes it to crash occasionally while
"answering" to a message. It also fixes a couple of other minor bugs.

In case you don't know what BroadCast is for...

BroadCast is a tool to exchange short messages between Macintoshs. It is
installed by dragging it into the system folder on all Macs. To send a message,
open the chooser and select first broadcast, then one or more recipients. Click
OK and enter your message. You may select an icon to accompany the text. Voila.

The receiver will get a dialog on his screen. The dialog shows the icon, text,
the time the message was received, the sender and two buttons: OK and Answer.
The answer is used as the direct path back to the sender without opening the
chooser.

There is a Columbia AppleTalk version available to REGISTERED USERS ONLY.
It consists of a daemon that registers all the users of one box, and of a tool
that allows unix users to send messages to other unix or macintosh users.

BroadCast is shareware: it costs $25 per zone, or $100 per entire appletalk
network. Send your money (check), and you'll receive the disk with all the
files.

Joachim Lindenberg, Sommerstrasse 4, 7500 Karlsruhe 1, West Germany
GER.XSE0010@applelink.apple.com

[Archived as /info-mac/init/broadcast-11.hqx; 28K]

------------------------------

Date: 5 Apr 89 21:09:00 CST
From: "Sharbutt, Albert" <z3als@ttacs1.ttu.edu>
Subject: Catalog and Extent B*-Tree files

Help!

My hard disk has been slowing down considerably lately.  The fragmentation
index according to Symantec Utilities was 1%, but I defragmented the disk
anyway.  There were large blocks of empty space on the disk, so the tune-up
should have been very effective.  However, the desktop update is still very
slow (the desktop is only 154K).  Using Fedit, I found out that the Extent
B*-Tree and Catalog B*-Tree are each 495K.  If my understanding is correct,
these files have a record of every file you ever put on your disk, so
temporarily storing and later erasing a large number of files (as I have done
several times) adds a lot to the size of the tree files.

Questions:

1)  Am I correct in assuming that my system slow-down is due to the size and
    complexity of these tree files?

2)  If so, does anyone know of a way to rebuild them?  Rebuilding the desktop
    does not affect them.

Thanks in advance for sending me your comments/suggestions!

-Albert

BITNET:   z3als@ttacs1
INTERNET: z3als@ttacs1.ttu.edu
THENET:   ttacs1::z3als

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 89 21:43:31 EDT
From: djhill@rodan.acs.syr.edu ( Number_6 **)
Subject: Daffy's laugh

The beginnings of a series of digitized sounds from various sources
including but no limited to:

 The Prisoner, Monty Python, Warner Bros. cartoons,...

I have tried to digitized phrases which I have not seem digitized elsewhere
so this should be all new.

This file Daffy duck's famous nutty laugh.

Douglas J. Hill   -  djhill@rodan.acs.syr.edu  or
		     RSDJH@SUVM  [ BITNET ]    or
                     User #1 at Europa BBS (315)-426-8092

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/daffy-laugh.hqx; 20K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 89 16:42:22 +0200
From: Sigurd Meldal <sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no>
Subject: Dead Dataframe 20

A DataFrame 20 with XP prom has decided to die, seemingly because of a
bad bearing (it heats up and never stabilizes). So the MicroScience
disk has to be thrown out.

Now we wonder - is it possible to mount another 20MByte harddisk, e.g.
a SeaGate, in the DtaFrame chassis, using the SuperMac prom and power
supply. We can get those cheaply, whereas buying a whole new DtaFrame
seems such a waste.

Any info would be appreciated.

-- Sigurd

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Apr 89 14:32:41 CST
From: CB Lih <CL06076%UAFSYSB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: FTP to Mac

This is about problems transfering Simtel20.arpa binary files with FTP.
I've found a way to do it on my equipment and perhaps this will apply
to other situations.  I'm going from simtel20 to CMS mainframe to Mac SE.
First I open an anonymous connection to 26.2.0.74 (Simtel20.arpa).
The tenex command isn't available to me so I use: TYPE l <--(lowercase l) 8
That's:  type l 8
before attempting transfer.  I then use Red Ryder 9.4 to download to the
Mac.  On the CMS side the only setting I enter is: SET FILE BINARY.
On the Red Ryder side I use kermit (of course) with SPECIAL KERMIT ~Q
HANDSHAKE selected (that's carat Q or control Q, whatever is above the
number six in the number row).  I also select RECOGNIZE AND CONVERT
MACBINARY FORMAT FILES.  Then it's just a send from CMS and a RECEIVE FILE
-- KERMIT... on the RedRyder side.  And it works!
However, if I could get Kermit 0.9(40) to do it, that would be preferable.
So... Please Alistair Milne, post that de-encapsulating program.  Thanks.

      =---> CB Lih <---=  "Picked up for questioning."
Macintosh Support
BITNET: CL06076@UAFSYSB    AppleLink: U0669    Phone: 501-575-2905
US Mail: ADSB 220, University of Arkansas
         155 Razorback Road, Fayetteville, AR 72701, USA

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  5 Apr 89 16:00:18 CDT
From: "David Richardson, UT-Arlington" <B645ZAX@utarlg.arl.utexas.edu>
Subject: FTP unSTUFFING problems

In recent digests, there has been talk of ftp files not being recognized by
stuffit.  Someone (who?) downloaded it in MacKermit 0.90, looked at the file
in MacSnoop, and found the information normally in the directory part of
the disk.  This same person extracted the "good part" of the stuffit file and
ran it though stuffit ok, albeit with some grumbling of stuffit.

*disclaimer:  all of the above is from memory.  Don't flame me on the digest.

Diagnosis:
It sounds as if your file was not processed correctly with Macbinary.  Most
modem programs, including Red Ryder and MacKermit (I think) are Macbinary-
compatable.  Perhaps you have Macbinary-detection disabled?  Solution:  Run
Binhex5 (NOT binhex4) on the file.

If the filename in the archive ended in .hqx, ignore the above.  Running
it through a de-binhexer (like in Stuffit) should result in an OK stuffit
file.

-David Richardson,                    The University of Texas at Arlington
Bitnet: b645zax@utarlg            Internet:  b645zax@utarlg.arl.utexas.edu
UUCP:     ...!{ames,sun,texbell, <backbone>}!utarlg.arl.utexas.edu!b645zax
SPAN:     ...::UTSPAN::UTADNX::UTARLG::b645ZAX      US Mail: PO Box 192053
PhoNet: +1 817 273 3656 (FREE from Dallas, TX)    Arlington, TX 76019-2053

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 89 11:38 N
From: <KRAALING%HWALHW50.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Help: Disk editor needed.

Dear net,

Is there a good public domain or shareware disk editor available from
sumex-aim. Especially one that is capable of searching for byte
sequences in the data fork. Thanks in advance.

Daniel van Kraalingen
Department of Theoretical Production Ecology
Agricultural University of Wageningen
The Netherlands

kraalingen@hwalhw50.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Apr 89 12:48:37 -0700
From: Lance Nakata <nakata@jessica.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac II Diagnostic Sound program

This came across the net. It is the application that shows you what the
various sounds a II makes when it boots and what problem the sound means.

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/mac-ii-diagnostic-sounds.hqx; 8K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 89 12:04:43 PDT
From: PUGH@nmfecc.llnl.gov
Subject: Message Box Command Recall Script

Here is an improvement over a similar script I saw posted some time ago.  It
makes use of the doList XCMD which should be in the archives.  I'll look and
post it if it isn't.  That part isn't mandatory though.

What this does is keeps track of all the commands you type into the message
box.  { In all cases here, return and enter are equivalent. }  When you press
return, it logs your message (after checking to see that it is unique) and
then executes it.  If you have the Option key down then it cycles through your
last commands until you find the one you want and either edit it or just
execute it again.  If you hold the Command key down then you are presented
with a dialog box (courtesy of the doList XCMD) that has all the remembered
commands for you to choose from.  You may then edit or execute the one
selected.

The scripts are fairly simple, but they make use of a loop that can grow slow
if you do a lot of commands on a Mac Plus, but I've never had that happen on
the faster machines.  The Mac+ is why I added the Shift key modifier to erase
the log file though.  I found that you seldom need to erase it as not many
different commands pass through the message box.  More often, I find myself
doing the same command for a series of cards or backgrounds and it is easier
to do it by hand once than write a script.  I also agree with someone else I
was reading that the message window should be multiline so you can do repeat
loops and such in it.

Share and enjoy!

Jon

>--- le script ---<

on enterKey
  if parseMsg() then pass enterKey
end enterKey

on returnKey
  if parseMsg() then pass returnKey
end returnKey

function parseMsg
  global lastMsgs, lastNum, maxNum
  if lastNum is empty then put 0 into lastNum
  if maxNum is empty then put 0 into maxNum
  if the optionKey is down and the shiftKey is down then
    put empty into lastMsgs
    put empty into lastNum
    put empty into maxNum
    put empty
    return false
  else if the optionKey is down then
    if lastNum <> 0 then put maxNum into lastNum
    put line lastNum of lastMsgs
    subtract 1 from lastNum
    return false
  else if the commandKey is down and maxNum > 0 then
    put lastMsgs into junk
    repeat with i = 1 to the number of chars of junk
      if char i of junk is return
      then put "," into char i of junk
    end repeat
    if junk is empty then
      answer "You have no saved commands"
      return false
    end if
    doList "Execute","Cancel",junk,one
    get the result
    if it is not empty then put it
    return false
  else
    put true into newLine
    repeat with i = 1 to maxNum
      if the msg = line i of lastMsgs then
        put false into newLine
        exit repeat
      end if
    end repeat
    if newLine then
      add 1 to maxNum
      put the msg into line maxNum of lastMsgs
    end if
    put maxNum into lastNum
    return true
  end if
end parseMsg

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 89 23:47:07 PDT
From: C43CJK%ENG1.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com
Subject: More Cross Development Tools for the Macintosh

I've located some more information about cross development systems for the
Macintosh.

 o MPW IIgs - Cross Development System
	MPW IIgs Tools v.1.0 --- APDA# A77Z0012/B  $50.00
	   includes linker and file transfer tools.  Generates ProDOS 16 or
	   ProDOS 8 load files.  Makes object files into libraries, etc.

	MPW IIgs - Assembler v.1.0 --- APDA# A0005LL/B  $100.00
	   actual assembler for five different incarnations of the 6502:
	   65816, 6502, 65c02, NCRCX02, and the Mitsubishi 740 microcontroller.

	MPW IIgs - C and Pascal Compilers  $150 and $175 respectively.
	   Full feature compilers that generate code for the 65816.
	   (C Compiler - A7Z2001/B    Pascal Compiler - A7G0032)

o Memocom Univeral Cross Assembler
	An Editor and cross assembler for $299.00
	Some months ago I spoke with the people at this company about their
	product, and I am impressed with the wide range of targets (from a
	single program):

        32010    320c25   68000    64180   8086   68hc11
        6301     8051     6805     1802    65816  6502
        Super8   COP800   6809     8048    8096   8085
        Z80      Z8       SMC4050  3870    7000   and a few others

	The one feature I want (which they don't have) is a linker.  I asked
	about this and got the standard response: "We're considering several
	different enhancements".  None-the-less, if you can live with
	reassembling the whole target every time, then this might be the
	program for you.  I'm still waiting for the linker.

	Memocom Development Tools   1920 Arbor Creek Drive
				    Carrolton, Texas 75010
				    (214) 446-9906

/----------------------+---------------------------------+---------------------\
| Craig Keithley       | C43CJK@ENG1.GM.HAC.COM          |                     |
| GM DSO-SBO           | C43CJK%ENG1.GM@HAC2ARPA.HAC.COM |                     |
\----------------------+---------------------------------+---------------------/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Apr 89 02:20 EST
From: "R. Allen Jervis"                           <C78KCK%IRISHMVS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Real fonts

Has anyone been able to get the REALfonts init
>From Diskworld to work at all? I've tried every
thing from 3.2 -6.1 and on macs from 512- mac 2's
I can't seem to hit the right combination.
The documentation says that the system has to be
4.1 or newer, but it doesn't seem to make a whit
of difference.
The init is supposed to change the font menu so that
the various fontnames are displayed in the fontstyle
that they represent. A great idea! It should have been
that way to start with!
R.allen Jervis
c78kck@irishmvs.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 89 20:58:31 EDT
From: djhill@rodan.acs.syr.edu ( Number_6 **)
Subject: Space sound

This is a new digitized sound from a Warner Bros. cartoon - remember the
little Martian guy.  Digitized using MacRecorder 4/4/89.

Douglas J. Hill   -  djhill@rodan.acs.syr.edu  or
		     RSDJH@SUVM  [ BITNET ]

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/space-modulator.hqx; 65K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Apr 89 15:52:57 EDT
From: "Anton R. Schep" <N410104%UNIVSCVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: TKSOLVER

In a recent infomac digest there was a question about the availibility of
TKSolver for the MAC in this country. The company (Universal Technical Systems)
which markets TKSolver for the IBM, says they will bring out a new version of T
KSolver for the Mac in a couple of weeks. You can contact them at (800)435-7887

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Apr 89 18:05:26 EDT
From: siegel@harvard.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel)
Subject: ToMultiFinder 3.01

This version of ToMultiFinder has a less confusing dialog; the
"Use Attached" switch is now "Run Startups", and some other cosmetic
changes have been made.

R.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/tomultifinder-301.hqx; 18K]

End of Info-Mac Digest