Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (04/11/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 10 Apr 89       Volume 7 : Issue  66

Today's Topics:
                            Administrivia
                     35-mm Images from Dicomed?
                            Deskclock init
                        Finder getting "lost"
                           Folder Access...
                              Image 1.12
                        Laserwriter test page
                    Mac to PC Graphics Conversion
                         Monty Python sounds
                           PC board layouts
                 Scrambled Stacks - Thanks, everyone!
                        Shrinked Control Panel
                        Text file concatenator

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1989 15:35:27 PDT
From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Administrivia

There are some interesting new files in the archive. The Unix directory now
has two .hqx -> .bin converter programs an all-purpose converter program
called mcvert which can translate fluently between .hqx, .bin, and text
formats in whatever direction you choose.

Using mcvert, I was able to bring over the tech note Hypercard stack from
rascal.ics.utexas.edu and convert it into .hqx format. This enormous 7-part
file can be found in the tn directory.

Robert Hammen send in some upgrades for the Adobe courier and symbol fonts.
I'm not sure what is different but apparently they are improved in some way.
He sent half of the improved Times, and I expect we'll get the other half
soon.

It's MACSERVE@PUCC, not MACSERV@PUCC. Sorry about that.

Bill Lipa
Info-Mac

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Apr 89 22:55:15 PDT
From: grow#jerry%e.mfenet@nmfecc.llnl.gov
Subject: 35-mm Images from Dicomed?

I'm asking this question for three of my colleagues.
"We have a Dicomed D148 film recorder that we would like to
use for making 35-mm images from Macintoshes and MS-DOS
machines. Can anyone give us pointers to software, hardware,
etc. that we could use for this purpose? Thanks!"
  If there is sufficient interest, I'll summarize for the net.

--Jerry Grow
  Lawrence Livermore National Laboratoy
  grow%mfe.mfenet@nmfecc.llnl.gov
  grow@nmfecc.llnl.gov
  grow%mfe.mfenet@lbl.bitnet
  grow%mfe.mfenet@anlvms.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Apr 89 14:31:09 EDT
From: thfisher@tiger.waterloo.edu
Subject: Deskclock init

This is Deskclock, an init which creates a small (1" diam.) clock
in a window which is displayed by any well-behaved application.
Works with or without Multifinder

[Archived as /info-mac/init/deskclock.hqx; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Apr 89 17:41:37 EDT
From: decwrl!ucbvax!pro-exchange.cts.com!rich@labrea.stanford.edu (Rich Sims)
Subject: Finder getting "lost"

I recently upgraded my Mac+ to Sytem v. 6.0.3 and Finder v. 6.1

Since then, when I double-click a document created by one of my applications,
the Finder is unable to find the application itself, givng me the message that
"The application is either busy or missing", when neither is the case.

The application will be found under either of two circumstances... both the
document and the application are in the same folder, or the document is
on the desktop and the application is in the active window.

This *only* happens with one particular application.  Unfortunately, it's
QUED/M, v 2.07, which I use daily.  I have tried recopying the application,
the system file, finder, and the document.  It appears that if I do the
last item, copying the document to another disk, deleting the original, and
copying it back, it can be found... for a while... then it's back to what is
rapidly becoming "normal".  Oh yes... I've also tried re-building the desktop.

btw- This applies to any QUED document, regardless of where it's located on
the hard disk.  It also doesn't matter if the document was created by an
application other than QUED, or by QUED itself.  (Both of my communications
programs and a desk accessory also create QUED documents, i.e.  Type = TEXT,
Creator = QED1)

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?

-Rich Sims-

UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!rich
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!rich@nosc.mil
INET: rich@pro-exchange.cts.com

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Apr 89 18:03 CDT
From: "Glen A. Reece" <CS_4310_34@uta.edu>
Subject: Folder Access...

     I'm working in an open environment and concerned with providing protection
on a folder by folder basis similar to the capabilities one has in the Apple
Share environment.  I'm looking for something like an INIT that would check eachtime a folder is double clicked upon to see if the user has the correct access
password.  However, if anyone knows what bits to set to perform a folder lockingmechanism via the File Manager then I could write my own INIT.  Help!!!!

Glen A. Reece

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Apr 89 17:48:11
From: wayne@alw.nih.gov (wayne rasband)
Subject: Image 1.12

This Image 1.12, a public domain program for the Mac II for acquiring,
editing printing, analysing, annotating, animating, and
pseudo-coloring images. It requires a Mac II with at least 2MB and an
8-bit video card. It supports the Data Translation QuickCapture card,
as well as the Scion frame grabber card. It has a MacPaint like tool
palette, multiple windows, and eight levels of magnification. It does
halftone printing on PostScript printers. It can measure the area and
density of user defined regions of interest. It also measures lengths,
angles, and coordinates pairs. Calibration can be done so that area,
length, and density results are given in real world units. A 34 page
manual in MacWrite format is included. A HyperCard reference stack and
Lightspeed Pascal source are available separately.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/image-112-part1.hqx; 170K
             /info-mac/app/image-112-part2.hqx; 170K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Apr 89 19:13 EDT
From: <UN107065%WVNVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Laserwriter test page

I am trying to turn off the test page on a LaserWriter II NT.
The May '89 issue of MacUser suggests using the following
PostScript program:

         serverdict begin 0 exitserver
         statusdict begin
         dostartpage false
         end

After downloading the program to the printer, it does not seem
to work because the printer still prints the test page
when powered ON the next time.

Any comments or suggestions as to why this is not working?

Please reply to:

Neil Hazari
un107065@wvnvms.wvnet.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 89 18:52:54 CST
From: Larry Pickett <C4898%UMSLVMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac to PC Graphics Conversion

     There's an article in MacUser September, 1988 that discusses
several options for transferring graphics between Mac's and PC's.
Moving Pictures by Steve Roth, Page 164.  This is in response to Bob
Bolt's question in vol 7 issue 61.
Acknowledge-To: <C4898@UMSLVMA>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 89 01:21:05 EDT
From: djhill@rodan.acs.syr.edu ( Number_6 **)
Subject: Monty Python sounds

This file contains a StuffIt archive which houses about six new
Monty Python sounds from Life of Brian and the TV series.  Some of
the language might cause offense but then again, if you watch Monty
Python you probably won't care.  Play with SoundEdit or any of the many
pd/shareware players available at sumex.

By the way, if anyone has any ideas for sounds they'd just love to have
digitized, please drop me a line at the addresses below and I'll see what
I can do.

Douglas J. Hill   -  djhill@rodan.acs.syr.edu
                     RSDJH@SUVM  [ BITNET ]    or
                     User #1 at Europa BBS (315)-426-8092

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/monty-python-various.hqx; 110K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 89 16:21:10 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@PICA.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: PC board layouts

Quick msg before the system goes down...

Could any and all who do PC board layouts on Macs please email me w/ their
comments on what packages are available? We're using McCad, and it really
stinks. Nonstandard user interface and so forth, but worst of all, it
doesn't print what you see on the screen! Lines don't connect, etc.. I'll
post to the net in a week or so, with a synopsis of what I've recieved.

tom c

Electromagnetic Armament Technology Branch, US Army Armament Research,
Development and Engineering Center Picatinny Arsenal, NJ 07806-5000
ARPA: tcora@pica.army.mil -or- tcora@ardec.arpa
UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!tcora BITNET: Tcora@DACTH01.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 89 13:06:56 PDT
From: Mike_Dustan@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: Scrambled Stacks - Thanks, everyone!

Thanks for the replies. I was pointed to a HyperCard stack on
AppleLink, called "Recover", which copies everything it can from
your bad stack to a new stack. You give it a list of the bad card
numbers, which it will then skip. If you don't know the numbers
of the bad cards, run it anyway; it'll die when it hits one but
will give you the card number in its dying gasp. You can restart
Recover partway through its run.

It's quite nice, but dead slow since it copies the entire stack
card by card. It took about 30 seconds per card on a Plus with a
serial HD20 to open the bad stack (on a floppy), copy, open the
good stack (on the HD20) and paste. Its main flaw, which is
unavoidable in a HyperCard-based program, is that all the new
cards have different card IDs, so if you link to other stacks on
the basis of card ID (as I do) you're in for some heavy editing
sessions.

I don't know if Recover is for public consumption but it should
be. There is another stack, called StackRepair, which I didn't
try; it seems to have slightly less functionality than Recover
and destroys your bad stack as it goes, which seems a little
risky.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Apr 89 21:34:02 CDT
From: Francis Fang <ffang@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Subject: Shrinked Control Panel

I recently downloaded Staircase, Front & Center and Who's Who from the
info-mac archives and after having decoded and destuffed them, installed
them into my system folder. Everything worked perfectly, but then after
I rebooted my system, trouble struck! When I pulled down my Control Panel,
all I got was a tiny little section of the titlebar!

I took out all the new inits and cdevs and rebooted and the control
panel was left in the same state - SHRUNK! I have since then re-installed
a new control panel from backups but would like to know just what
happened.

Thanks in advance.

Francis.

PS By the way, I'm still looking for those Postscript -> EPS converters
with no luck. Anyone?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Apr 89 0:40:42 EDT
From: mikeoro@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael K O'Rourke)
Subject: Text file concatenator

This is a program written by Michael O'Rourke, me, that concatenates text
files.  It is especially handy for people that download programs and need
to bring together pieces of a program before they can un-binhex it.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/text-file-concatenator.hqx; 33K]

End of Info-Mac Digest