Date: Mon, 10 Apr 89 22:19:33 -0400
From: changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Chang P. Woo)
Subject: Boomerang 1.3

Boomerang is an INIT utility that simplifies the use of the Standard File
(SF) Dialog.  (This is the dialog that appears when you choose Open... or
Save As... from the File menu.)  Boomerang automatically remembers folders
you open or close with the SF Dialog.  You can later move back to any of
these folders instantaneously.

Boomerang is FREEWARE, and give it to your friends if you like.  However, I
reserve all rights to it.  If you have any bug reports or comments, please
send to:

Hiroaki Yamamoto
UCLA Dept. of Physics
405 Hilgard Ave.
Los Angeles  CA  90024
(213) 825-5672

CompuServe:76407,3251
Delphi:HIROYAMAMOTO

[Archived as /info-mac/init/boomerang.hqx; 33K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 89 13:10:53 -0400
From: William C. DenBesten<denbeste@andy.bgsu.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #66

Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators):

> I recently upgraded my Mac+ to Sytem v. 6.0.3 and Finder v. 6.1
>
> Since then, when I double-click a document created by one of my applications,
> the Finder is unable to find the application itself, givng me the message
> that "The application is either busy or missing", when neither is the case.

This is usually caused because there is a document [ie file that has a
type != APPL] that has its bundle bit set.  Before system 6.0 this did
not keep the finder from finding the application.

--
 William C. DenBesten
 denbeste@bgsu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 89 16:16 EDT
From: "Maj. Doug Hardie" <Hardie@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL>
Subject: Making a copy of the screen

I am looking for a tool that will make a copy of the screen in the
clipboard.  What I am trying to do is copy the screen when hypercard is
running.  I need it all to be in picture format, no buttons etc (thats
why copy card won't help).  I have tried a number of things from the
archive and am able to make a paint file, but it include an entire page,
not just the screen.  Hence I have to use a utility that allows me to
select the screen image.  However, I can't get the selection rectangle
exact enough on the average, and the result looks poor.  While all it
takes to do this is write an XCMD that copies the screen image into a
clipboard picture, I would rather find something that already exists
since I have never done any of those things before.

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 89 08:23 EDT
From: "Maj. Doug Hardie" <Hardie@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL>
Subject: Multi-Finder's system heap

I am encountering some interesting growth in the system heap using
multi-finder (system 6.0.3).  All seems fine until I use a desk
accessory.  Then the system heap grows.  The problem is that it never
shrinks back down after the DA exits.  Hence, if I use the calculator a
number of times, the heap grows about the same ammount each time I use
the calculator.  Not all the DA's exhibit this feature, but many do.  As
a result, my available memory for applications shrinks.  What forces the
system to shrink the system heap (other than a reboot)?

p.s.  my notes to info-mac-request are being returned by sumex with the
note that the addressee is unknown.

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 89 21:41:45 EDT
From: siegel@harvard.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel)
Subject: NExT-style WDEF

This INIT makes all of your windows resemble windows on the NExT workstation.

I didn't write this, but I know who did. :-)

[Archived as /info-mac/init/next-style-windows.hqx; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 89 16:20:45 EDT
From: Matt Rhodes <rhodes@ll-vlsi.arpa>
Subject: Print Drivers for HP LaserJet and DeskJet

Hello,
	We have a couple of mac se's and plus's running system 6.0.2,
finder 4.1 and have access to a couple of HP LaserJet and/or DeskJet
Printers.   The obvious question is can we use these printers easily
>From this environment?   I heard talk of the availability of printer
drivers for the HP machines.  Has anyone had some experience with these
drivers and could you tell us the exact expense of installing this
configuration (cables,software, etc.).   Please reply directly to
me at:

		rhodes@ll-vlsi.arpa

	I will summarize for the net.

Cheers,

Matt Rhodes
MIT Lincoln Laboratory

------------------------------

Date: 11 Apr 89 15:33:00 MST
From: "5268 Spires, Shannon V." <svspire@sandia.gov>
Subject: Simtel .SIT files

I finally got .SIT files to FTP from the Simtel at WSMR. Stuffit
unstuffs them perfectly without a hitch. This works for us:
We're FTPing from the Simtel to a Vax running VMS, then using
Kermit on the Vax and MicroPhone in Kermit mode to get files
>From the Vax to a Mac II. The problems were in the FTP, not
in Kermit. You can rule out Kermit at your site by simplying
creating a Stuffit archive of some Mac files, uploading them
to your host, and redownloading with Kermit. If there are no
problems un-stuffing them, Kermit isn't at fault. To do the
FTP to VMS:
Once connected to Simtel, cd to the directory you want:

*cd PD3:<MACINTOSH.APPL>

Then when you know what file you want, do

*TENEX

*QUOTE TYPE L 8

*GET filename   (assuming filename is a .SIT file)

DON'T USE BGET!
Before doing a DIR or anything else after the GET, do

*QUOTE TYPE A

to get back to ASCII mode.

This transfers the file to a VMS host intact. Then use
Kermit in SET FILE TYPE BINARY mode to transfer to your
Mac, where you should also specify BINARY and RECOGNIZE
MACBINARY if possible.
Stuffit then works fine, with no error messages.

Shannon Spires

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 89 17:31 PDT
From: JAMESLI@toby.acs.washington.edu
Subject: Spelling Coach bug summary...

Many thanks to the responses to my query regarding Spelling Coach
crashes. Apparently, there are many more folks who've used the
program with disappointing results than I thought. I'm hoping that
this summary (and the solutions it provides) will enable other
disgrunts to start using Coach again. It's a fantastic program, now
that we've fixed it.

First, Peter Freund of Sweden wrote: "Hi. I just want to tell that the
Coach DA stinks. At least Coach Help, the INIT. The program I use
most for tests is SoftPC. This usually complains (translation: doesn't
run) if there are any problems with an INIT. SoftPC and Coach DA?
No way. Hopes that helps a little. Just as a separate application,
Coach is quite nice and fascinating."

Jeff Mandel of Tulane wrote: "James Li writes regarding crashes
with Coach, and mentions that he is using the INIT On Cue. My
experience with this INIT indicates that the ORIGINAL version (not
the new version with the sword in the icon) can cause some weird
and unexplained crashes.... essentially the problem is that if your
application messes with the menu bar in the wrong way, and you
are running MultiFinder, AND have Backgrounder running, you
will eventually get clobbered. This is because Backgrounder has no
menu list.... the bug in On Cue permits it to get confused...and
eventually you execute a procedure at memory location zero, and
boom! Fortunately, there is a workaround for this problem. Get the
current version of OnCue..."

Larry Rosenstein of Apple wrote: "Someone reported a bug with
Spelling Coach related to my ApplicationMenu INIT (which is a
simple version of OnCue).  When I tracked it down I found a bug in
System 6.0.2, which was brought out by a problem with Coach. The
problem is calling the GetMenuBar call when there is no menu bar.
If you do this, the system will access a random memory location,
which can cause a crash. The result depends on the contents of
memory location 0, and Coach aggravates the problem by storing
into that location (because of some very bizarre code). I wrote an
INIT to fix the system bug, and on my machine it allowed Coach to
run with MacWrite. The INIT is enclosed below. Install in your
System Folder and reboot. I don't know if this will fix your problem,
but it might help. Let me know what happens either way. (This file
must be converted with BinHex 4.0)

-----begin cut here------
:#%CTH%0[B@0S!%P1593rN!3!N!J"cm5X!*!%!3#3!`'B!*!$Q!#3!cIZrI*`2b$
C8FMrr"em!!Rqq4!Yl8KQ&NKYfI*)E[lb3JK'DAK$Ef&MD(J#!*!$58j*9$q3"!#
3$%P1593rN!3!N"LJ''5A!*!'!FmY!!E[*'F+2c`!$NkY"c*J$L"YlX"#%'!')'h
Z`%)3+fhdh[6D3QhmRK!Yk-GR$&1Yk-J[,HM)6Ud$mK!'CaK)EHmi2bi!##mYlc!
r,HmZ(c`!!8kY#'T-h`$i6PiJAe426Y#18%&68c*&6N424Na*6N8!!"S()b#3"J)
k)!!"!*!$P'!!!(J!N!3J1!SFCJB[3!!%6R8[1[rZ6R@T1`!%!!!)!!!,C`5R4Q!
#SdC1G3J!!!YR"+C(B!+L4djeF"DP(QB1+%JL6%(krla`&U!Z3N"1G8MR!4"(q[r
#3NF`%fB'60m)J%jeBEJTL(!!@%F`'c)E3I33!''fB1*"q[q%S5LJ+@'iCJ!!"Q(
)6R8r2!!"UFK1G3!!!3#3!`'B!*!$Q!#3!cF!)HLN#`B!N!-F!$)!!%P1593!N!-
+!*!%)!#3"`40B@PZFE-:
-----end cut here------

We are indeed using an old version of On Cue, I discovered. We've
got an order in for an upgrade. Meanwhile, we've successfully
BinHexed the INIT provided by Larry Rosenstein and it has fixed
the problem.

P.S. 4th Dimension 2.0 rumor. 4D 2.0 has not yet been released as a
beta version, and the best guess that my source at Acius had for a
market release date was "hopefully before next year..."

Thanks to all.

James Li, Systems Manager The Washington Technology Center
University of Washington, Seattle Internet:
JAMESLI@UWAV1.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 89 16:04:14 PST
From: nardi@cs.nps.navy.mil (Peter Nardi)
Subject: Variable sized "Hyper Cards" needed

Help!

     I'm doing some work integrating text and graphics in a hypertext format
using hypercard.  The resolution of my graphics suffers because of the small
fixed card size.  Are there any hypercard products available that sport
variable card size?  It's really a drag to have a full page monitor
on a mac II and only be able to use a small 3 X 5 section in the middle.
I've heard of supercard, a hypercard compatable package, but I don't know if
it's available yet.
     Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

Pete Nardi
nardi@nps.cs.navy.mil
Naval Postgraduate School
smc 1710