Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (04/17/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 16 Apr 89       Volume 7 : Issue  69

Today's Topics:
            Automatic Shutdown cdev/INIT - does one exist?
                Copying Screen Images to the Clipboard
                     d'Librarian 2.48d by JohnLim
                             H19 emulator
                      HyperCard Stack Recoverer
                        Jasmine Laser Printer
                        LaserWriter Test Page
                         Mac II reverse video
                           MacWrite Rulers
                       Newbury Data disk drives
                         new system installed
                    New Version of Giffer. (1.03)
            QMS 2200PS on appletalk network-any problems?
                  The unsit program in info-mac/unix
                        TurboBox/(Stuffited))
                        Using Mac SE in Europe
                            Writing WDEF's

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 89 12:54 CDT
From: General Delivery <POSTMASTER%TAMVENUS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Automatic Shutdown cdev/INIT - does one exist?

       I would like to know if anyone has seen an INIT or cdev which works
similar to a screen saver (such as PYRO!), but instead of blanking out the
screen it would shut down the system.  I work within a university system,
and am the unofficial system manager for our local network of eight Macs.
With the number of students and staff who use our systems, both during and
after hours, there are quite a few users who unknowingly modify files, or
save documents to the hard disks, or introduce viruses to the systems.  I
have finally found a way to inform these late-night users of any important
items - a startup document called MacWelcome which I got from Educorp - but
there is no way to ensure that the Macs will be shut down between users.  In
fact, most of the Macs are on 24-hours a day since nobody bothers to shut
them down (I wouldn't trust many of them to know how).
       What would be nice is a configurable cdev/INIT which would, after a
preset amount of inactivity - no printing, no mouse maneuvers, or modem
communication in use - quit all open applications, possibly save any open
documents (as APPLICATION-NAME.UNTITLEDxx in a configurable volume/folder),
and perform a ShutDown.  This would mean that, after one person has finished
using the Mac, and the system has been idle for ten minutes or so, the Mac
would shut itself off and await the next user with the "You may now turn
off your Macintosh safely" dialog with Restart button.
       I don't know if anyone has written anything like this, or if it is
even possible (though it would be useful in a university environment).  At
least in my case, with MacWelcome, I can leave a message to users about any
new software, or which folder they can find their document in if they return
to find the Mac shut down.  (I have found that no one bothers to read the
printed notes which I have used many times while we experienced numerous
outbreaks of Scores and nVIR.  It's funny how few people there are at this
university who know how to read.)

       I am rather new to the network, and am not completely sure of my network
address.  I do get the digest, and will be looking in it for any answers.
       Thanks in advance for any responses!

                Dave Martin
                Geochemical & Environmental Research Group (GERG)
                Texas A&M University - Oceanography Dept.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 89 14:54 EST
From: "Thomas R. Blake" <TBLAKE@bingvaxb.cc.binghamton.edu>
Subject: Copying Screen Images to the Clipboard

>Date: Tue, 11 Apr 89 16:16 EDT
>From: "Maj. Doug Hardie" <Hardie@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL>
>Subject: Making a copy of the screen
>
>I am looking for a tool that will make a copy of the screen in the
>clipboard...

Doug,

    There used to be a dandy little utility in the archives.  I believe it was
just called FKEY-9.  It is one of the handiest little utilities I've ever met.
Press Shift-Command-9, you get a little angle iron.  Place it in the upper left
hand corner of the region you want to copy, press and drag to the lower right.
The region you select will be copied to the clipboard.

    If you can't find it in the archives, drop me a line, and I'll ship you off
a copy.

TBLAKE@BINGVAXB.BITNET	          (Sure Bet)	Thomas R. Blake
TBLAKE@bingvaxb.cc.binhamton.edu  (Shaky)       Lead Programmer/Analyst
						Academic Computing
						SUNY Binghamton

------------------------------

Date: 14 Apr 89 19:23:30 EDT
From: BARRY@s66.prime.com
Subject: d'Librarian 2.48d by JohnLim

I'm forwarding a copy of the demonstration version of d'Librarian
2.48d that I recieved from John Lim.  Warning: d'Librarian 2.48d DOES
NOT work properly if Semantic Utilities for the Macintosh (SUM)
Version 1.02 or 1.1 is installed and running - John says this is due
to a bug in the SUM Shield INIT.  d'Librarian 2.48d works fine if the
Mac is started with SUM deactivated.  The REAL version of
d'Librarian works properly with BOTH SUM 1.02 and 1.1.  You can
get the real version for A$30 from John Lim in Australia;  send
Internet mail to munnari!munmurra.mu.oz.au!jkjl@uunet.UU.NET

Barry Wolman                      | barry@s66.prime.com
Principal Technical Consultant    | 492 Old Connecticut Path
Prime Computer                    | Framingham, MA 01701
                                  | 508/626-1700, ext. 4187

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/d-librarian-248d.hqx; 95K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1989 12:34 PDT
From: GORR <GORR@uwacdc.acs.washington.edu>
Subject: H19 emulator

Is anyone aware of a shareware, freeware, etc. terminal program that
will emulate H-19 for the MAC?

It must be almost perfect.

If so, please send mail to:  GORR@UWACDC.acs.washington.edu on how I
can get a hold of it.

thanx.   :)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 89 15:57:24 PDT
From: Mike_Dustan@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: HyperCard Stack Recoverer

Here's Recover, which recovers damaged HyperCard stacks, albeit
slowly. (I got it from AppleLink; I hope nobody there minds!) It
has instructions built in. Note that it can't recover damaged
cards, nor can it recover every damaged stack. It creates a new
stack by copying and pasting after itself all the undamaged cards
it can find. Scripts and backgrounds are all preserved.

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/stack-recoverer.hqx; 10K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 14 Apr 89 14:23:10-MST
From: Alan Lichty <Lichty@science.utah.edu>
Subject: Jasmine Laser Printer

Does anyone have any experience with Jasmine's DirectPrint LCS (liquid
crystal shutter) printer?  We are looking for an inexpensive
networkable alternative to Apple's Laser offerings and would like to
hear from someone who has tried DirectPrint or even seen output from
one.  Are there are other similarly priced printers ($4,000 list) that
are worth considering instead?

Send replys directly to me (lichty@science.utah.edu) and I will
summarize back to info-mac.  thnx in advance for any replies.

Alan S. Lichty
Programmer/analyst
Department of Anthropology
University of Utah
-------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 89 12:06 EDT
From: <PORTERG%VCUVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Greg Porter)
Subject: LaserWriter Test Page

        I don't usually butt in on these discussions, preferring to read the
wisdom of others, but the way *I* get rid of the test page is to simply pull
the paper tray out an inch when I turn the danged thing on.  When it warms up,
shove it back in.  Voila!  No test page.

Greg Porter
PORTERG@VCURUBY (Bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 89 02:28 CDT
From: John DeSoi <john@murph.tamu.edu>
Subject: Mac II reverse video

Does anyone know of any software that will reverse the video (that is,
display white on black) of a Mac II.  CloseView would have been great
except for that stupid rectangle that is attached to the mouse cursor
when the magnification is turned off.  Thanks.

John F. DeSoi

Laboratory for Software Research
Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas  77843-3112
(409) 845-4306
BITNET: desoi@tamlsr
INTERNET: desoi@lsr.tamu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 89 13:23 EDT
From: "Maj. Doug Hardie" <Hardie@dockmaster.arpa>
Subject: MacWrite Rulers

I have downloaded thsome of the TechNotes from the archive.  They are in
MacWRite format.  When I display them, the ruler dimensions do not match
what is on the screen or what is printed.  It is as if the ruler has
shrunk so that the horizontal line at the top of each indicates that it
is from 1 1/8 " to 7 1/8".  However, both on the screen and on paper it
is 1 3/16" to 7 1/2".

As a result, when I convert the file to WriteNow for speed, it uses the
indicated ruler numbers for the tabs and things get messed up.  I end up
having to completely reformat the file by hand.  How can I easily fix
the ruler in MacWrite?

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 89 00:57:57 PDT
From: calius@composite.stanford.edu (Emilio Calius)
Subject: Newbury Data disk drives

        I have just ordered one of the remaining Newbury 4380S drives. I
remember seeing a couple of postings from previous buyers, but at that time
I wasn't planning to get any hard disks. Now I would like to get in touch
with those of you who are using these drives for mutual support purposes.
Any information on software, cases, etc. is most welcome.

        If you can, please respond by mail. Thanks for your help.

Emilio P. Calius
Structures & Composites Lab
Dept. of Aeronautics & Astronautics
Stanford University
(415)723-3524

** It is occasionally the curse of visionaries to see their visions fulfulled.
                                                -- author??

God made the world in six days, and was arrested on the seventh.

------------------------------

Date: 14 Apr 89 01:47:33 GMT
From: libby%xroads.UUCP@noao.edu (Libby Bellitter)
Subject: new system installed

I have a mac 512 that has been upgraded to a plus,i also have a 20 meg HD the
problem i am having is after installing the news sys some of my old programs
will not run (ex. mcwrite) I keep getting 02 and 03 error is there a way to
fix this. I am in need of help at this time. Please mail your ans to me

                            thank you for your time
      				libby
				Wolfbait
ps i am on crossroads
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 /\   (602) 941-2005 300|1200 Baud 24 hrs/day

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 89 17:55:09 -0700
From: rdsesq@jessica.stanford.edu
Subject: New Version of Giffer. (1.03)

New version of Giffer that fixes some bugs. Works well on a Mac II
with only 2 megs.
Got it for hubcap.clemson.edu. A great spot for getting GIF files.

rob snevely

rdsesq@jesscia.stanford.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/art/gif/giffer-103.hqx; 75K]

------------------------------

Date: 16 Apr 89 16:22:02 GMT
From: murray@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Murray Karstadt)
Subject: QMS 2200PS on appletalk network-any problems?

We are thinking of putting a high speed (22 ppm) QMS printer on an
appletalk network. Does anyone know of any problems with this or had any
experience with the QMS 2200ps printer, if so please drop me a line. I have to
put in the printer order fast, so the quicker your response the better

thanx
murray

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 89 14:54:08 EDT
From: James H. Cloos Jr. <jcloos@vax2.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: The unsit program in info-mac/unix

Hello,

I've been unable to get the unsit program I ftped from sumex-aim to compile
on this machine.  (A VAX 11/750 running 4.3BSD.)

I was wonderring if anyone had gotten it to compile, and if so, what mod's
they made.

Alternatively, a working binary is OK.

Thanks for any suggestions, as I'd like to be able to convert files right
>From hqx archives into separate bin files.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.
JCloos@Vax2.CIT.Cornell.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 89 20:54:55 GMT
From: donahn@mica.berkeley.edu (Don Ahn)
Subject: TurboBox/(Stuffited))

Been playing around with 3D graphics on the mac recently, and here's something
that I've whipped up.  The shape is based on the original BoxSphere demo, but
the program saves screens for faster playback later.  Adjust the number of
screens to fit in the memory available.  The default (36 screens) requires
about 800k.  Currently only works on a Plus or SE.  Enjoy!

[Archived as /info-mac/app/turbo-box.hqx; 15K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 89 00:07:44 bst
From: Stephen Page <sdpage%prg.oxford.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Using Mac SE in Europe

I use an SE from the US. No problems: Apple have been clever enough
to provide a power supply which handles a wide voltage range without
even a switch to set. (Bravo!)
If your machine is to be used by Europeans then it would be wise to get
the System file adapted for the appropriate local country, or they
will dislike you for printing US dates on word processing documents etc.
In the UK we also dislike the term "Trash"... I believe there is a utility
called Localiser to do this for you; alternatively you can buy local
System files quite cheaply.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 89 23:12 CDT
From: <BPB9204%TAMSTAR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Writing WDEF's

After downloading "NeXT-style-windows" and seeing the results(when they did
occur), I started wondering about writing a WDEF.
    Here's my question: does anybody have WDEF "shell" in Pascal, preferrably
LightSpeed Pascal?  I have access to Turbo Pascal, and possibly a C compiler
somewhere.  For those who might have a wdef shell, would you please mail it
to me?  I enjoy programming, so using someone else's code would be for an
example and programming enrichment only.
   Thanks for helping a future Bill Atkinson. (Give me a few more months
and I'll write my own code.)
Brent Burton
BPB9204@TAMVENUS or
BPB9204@TAMSTAR