Date: Sun, 16 Apr 89 20:30 CST
From: Bob Beaudoin <REBDN@ducvax.auburn.edu>
Subject: BINHEX4-MACPASCAL-V2

Morgan K. Lee <NU129584%NDSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> writes:

>Does anyone have an updated version of BINHEX4.PAS program that can
>run under MacPascal 2.0?  The program was probably created for MacPascal
>1.0; I got an error message "Incompatibility between types has been
>found" on the program statement "GENERIC(JSRINDIRECTA0, REGRCD)."

Here's a new version of the program.  It works with MacPascal v2.0 on my system
(Mac+, System 3.2, Finder 5.3).  Perhaps it will work under LSP as well.  (I
understand LSP was designed to run MacPascal programs, but I don't know if this
includes programs that use the InLines and Generic procedures.)

For anyone who's interested, the only change from the old version is the
addition of four more bytes of filler space at the end of the record Regrcd.
This is necessary to keep the Generic procedure happy.

Bob Beaudoin
Dept. of Mathematics, F.A.T.
Auburn University
Bitnet:  rebdn@auducvax
Internet:  rebdn@ducvax.auburn.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/source/pascal-binhex-40.txt; 18K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 89 20:20:54 PDT
From: jln@acns.nwu.edu
Subject: Disinfectant 1.1

Disinfectant Version 1.1 Announcement & Press Release.

April 16, 1989.

Disinfectant 1.1 is a new release of a program to detect and remove
Macintosh viruses.

Version 1.1 recognizes the new MEV# virus that was discovered in Belgium a
few weeks ago.  Version 1.1 also fixes a few bugs and adds several new
features.  For a detailed list of all the changes see the new section titled
"Version History" in the online document.

We recommend that all Disinfectant users obtain a copy of the new version.

With version 1.1 we are also now distributing a formatted version of
the document, with screen shots and other pictures, a table of contents,
etc.  See the online document for details on how to obtain a copy.

Version 1.1 has been posted to CompuServe, AppleLink, comp.binaries.mac,
and info-mac.  It should be available from those sources soon, as well as
>From many other bulletin boards, commercial online services, user groups, and
Internet archive sites.

Features:

- Detects and repairs files infected by Scores, nVIR A, nVIR B, Hpat,
  AIDS, MEV#, INIT 29, ANTI, and MacMag.  These are all of the currently known
  Macintosh viruses.
- Scans volumes (entire disks) in either virus check mode or virus
  repair mode.
- Option to scan a single folder or a single file.
- Option to "automatically" scan a sequence of floppies.
- Option to scan all mounted volumes.
- Can scan both MFS and HFS volumes.
- Dynamic display of the current folder name, file name, and a thermometer
  indicating the progress of a scan.
- All scans can be canceled at any time.
- Scans produce detailed reports in a scrolling field.  Reports can be
  saved as text files and printed with an editor or word processor.
- Carefully designed human interface that closely follows Apple's
  guidelines.  All operations are initiated and controlled by 8 simple
  standard push buttons.
- Uses an advanced detection and repair algorithm that can handle partial
  infections, multiple infections, and other anomalies.
- Careful error checking.  E.g., properly detects and reports damaged and
  busy files, out of memory conditions, disk full conditions on attempts
  to save files, insufficient privileges on server volumes, and so on.
- Works on any Mac with at least 512K of memory running System 3.2
  or later with HFS.
- Can be used on single floppy drive Macs with no floppy shuffling.
- 11,000 word online document describing Disinfectant, viruses in general,
  the Mac viruses in particular, recommendations for "safe" computing,
  Vaccine, and other virus fighting tools.  We tried to include everything in
  the document that the average Mac user needs to know about viruses.

I wrote Disinfectant with the help of an international group
of Mac virus experts, programmers and enthusiasts: Wade Blomgren,
Chris Borton, Bob Hablutzel, Tim Krauskopf, Joel Levin, Robert Lentz,
Bill Lipa, Albert Lunde, James Macak, Lance Nakata, Leonard Rosenthol,
Art Schumer, Dan Schwendener, Stephan Somogyi, David Spector, and
Werner Uhrig.

These people helped design and debug the program, edit the document,
locate copies of the viruses for testing, and analyze the viruses.  I wrote
all the code, but I could not have written the program without their help.

Disinfectant is an example of a new kind of cooperative software
development over the internet. It was developed over a period of three
and one half months starting on December 1, 1988. During this period I sent
out nine development releases and nine Beta releases to the working group,
and we exchanged several hundred notes. The result is a program that is
much better than any one of us could have produced individually.

We are offering this program free of charge as a public service.  We hope
that the Mac community finds it useful.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University

Bitnet:      jln@nuacc
Internet:    jln@acns.nwu.edu
AppleLink:   a0173
CompuServe:  76666,573

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/disinfectant-11.hqx; 105K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 89 21:07:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Salmento <ziggy+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: FullWrite and FullImpact for $99 apiece

Hi all,
   I need to clarify my previous post about FullWrite and FullImpact and
Ashton-Tate's Education Program.

   First, FullWrite is $99 and FullImpact is $99 through Ashton-Tate's Education
Discount Program.  They are not bundled together for $99.  I don't think
students can get that price since Ashton-Tate wants a school purchase order
(PO).  However, I'm not sure so give them a call to find out at (213-538-7726).
Another possibility for students is to ask your book store or computer store to
order it for you from Ashton-Tate Education Discount Program.

   Second, I don't know if it applies world wide or just in the United States,
and I don't know Ashton-Tates e-mail address.

   Third, I got version 1.0, but I heard that version 1.1 is available as a free
upgrade.

John Salmento
ziggy+@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 89 09:41 ADT
From: Peter J Gergely <Peter@griffin.drea.dnd.ca>
Subject: Ham Radio and the Macintosh

I am posting this request for a friend.

They are very much into both Ham Radio and Macintosh Computers, and
would like to know if there exists any equipment, software etc for
interfacing the two.

I realize that this may have been discussed before, but I don't have any
pointers.  Please reply to me directly, and I will gladly repost a
summary in the near future.  Many thanks for any assistance provided.

			   Peter J. Gergely
-------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 89 18:04 EDT
From: <JRCLARK%UTKVX1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hard Disk Problems

A student at the university at which I teach came to me with the following
problem: his Macintosh starts up normally (SE with 20MB internal HD). If he
drags a document into the system folder, he gets a message asking whether
he wants to initialize the hard disk. If he restarts the computer, he gets
the same message on restart. If he leaves the computer off for 15 minutes or
so, everything works fine. This is occurring a couple days after he brough
his computer in and we reinitialized the hard disk and installed a fresh
system (6.02).

Frankly, I am baffled by this one...

Any pointers as to possible reasons for the difficulty would be appreciated.

I should also note that we initialized the hard disk because he was
having a similar problem before. we were unable to duplicate some documents
>From the Finder. Apple's SCSI setup program returned a message to the effect
that the disk failed the test on testing. On reinitializing, we did note that
the disk SOUNDED as if it had some troubles on reformatting...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 89 11:44 EDT
From: Al MacBest <BEST@ruby.vcu.edu>
Subject: JMP: Not SAS on the Mac

At the recent SUGI meeting, SAS Institute was demoing an alpha version of
their new product for the Macintosh.  SUGI is the SAS User's Group
International.  The new SAS product is called JMP.  To quote from the
flier:
"JMP, a forthcoming package for statistical visualization, combines
all the steps of data exploration into one highly interactive process."

My assessment is that it's a dynamite product!  It does Regression/ANOVA
(univariate), Logistic Regression (with ordinal or categorical dependent
variables), and contingency table analysis.  It also has a Mac-Spin-like
3D spinning plot, Bar-charts & Box Plots, Correlation, Principal components,
and a lot more.  One of my favorite features is a "Calculator" that allows
the user to create variables as functions of other variables.  The neat thing
is that the expressions don't have the old FORTRAN look-and-feel; its' more
like Expressionist (or other Equation-generator DA's).  It also has IF
statements that, amoung other things, allow you to assign colors, shapes, etc.
under program control.  Nice.

What it is NOT is "SAS on the Mac".  SAS is millions of lines of C-code that
they are not going to port to the Mac for numerous reasons.  JMP is a 500K
application that does statistical graphics & analysis.  The only part of SAS
that is "in" JMP (as I understand it) is the GMP/Logistic/Corr/etc. numerical
algorithms.  JMP was built from the ground up my John Sall and his team at
SAS Institute for the Macintosh (only).

If there is interest in this product, perhaps I can put up more information.
If you'd like to be put on a mailing list to receive more info (as it comes
out), send me Name, Company, Address (street, city, Zip, Country), and (if
you like) your phone number.  I'll also record your Network address and
attempt to keep the network informed of developments.

******************
Al Best          Rt 4 Box 1129, Ashland VA 23005
phone 804-752-7588 every day but Mon & Thu; on M&Th: 804-786-8600
BITNET           BEST@VCUVAX
*****************

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 89 13:56:11 EDT
From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <PP838474%TECMTYVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: LaserWriter Test Page

While Greg Porter's solution works, it does require manual intervention.
Another option is acquiring CE Software's DiskTop utilities. This comes
with two DA's, DiskTop (an excellent Finder substitute), and LaserStatus
(which permits you to reset the printer, check it's status and download
PostScript fonts or programs) and a program called Widgets.

One of the items available in Widgets' LaserWriter menu is 'Disable Startup
Page', which does away with the page permanently, until you do an 'Enable
Startup Page' (or your friendly service rep. resets the whole thing).

BTW, I enthusiastically recommend DiskTop. Going for $27 as per
MacWarehouse's ad in the May issue of MacUser, it's really a steal.

Juan Courcoul
A satisfied DiskTop owner

------------------------------

Date: 17 Apr 89 15:29:37 EDT
From: T.R.Garman@me.ri.cmu.edu
Subject: MPW help recieved...

	Thanks for the responses to my MPW question.(all who replied)

	I am using MPW ver 2.0.  The error that I get from the linker
is as follows:

error: linker     # -45 error adding resource.

	No further info is provided.  There is no listing of link
errors in the MPW manual.

	I was given one possible solution, using vaccine, I need
to try turning on MPW switch on vaccine.  I will try this tonight.

	Thanks again,

		T.R. Garman

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 89 16:57 CDT
From: "Sandro Corsi, Univ.of WI-Oshkosh" <CORSI@oshkosh.wisc.edu>
Subject: Read/write IBM disks

There is a relatively cheap ($295 list) HARDWARE solution just introduced
by a California company called Kennect -- (408) 370-2866 (no mail address
provided). Their gizmo, called Rapport, plugs into the EXTERNAL floppy port
of a Mac (for those models that have one -- the II and IIx need not apply)
and allows reading 720K IBM disks in the INTERNAL floppy drive. There is a
brief description of the whole apparatus in the latest issue (May) of
"MacWorld", on page 111.

                        Sandro Corsi
                        Art Dept.
                        Univ. of Wisconsin - Oshkosh
                        Oshkosh, WI 54901

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 89 17:04 CDT
From: "Sandro Corsi, Univ.of WI-Oshkosh" <CORSI@oshkosh.wisc.edu>
Subject: Request for Information on Operating U.S. Macs in Europe

The relevant info is neatly summarized in the latest issue (May) of
"MacWorld", on page 226. As far as your equipment is concerned:

-  The Mac SE (like all Macs after -- but not including -- the Plus) needs
   only a plug adaptor thanks to its self-configuring power supply.

-  All Apple external hard disks -- no mention of third party products --
   have the same kind of globe-trotter power supply. Internal drives, and
   all other equipment that draws power from the Mac, such as keyboard and
   mouse, should have no problem as long as the Mac itself has no problems.

-  The Imagewriter II does NOT have the same adaptability, and a step-down
   transformer (rated @ 270 W minimum) would be necessary. In addition,
   unlike the IW I, Apple does not recommend using a U.S. IW II on 50Hz
   A.C., although some users seem to have done it without problems.

                        Sandro Corsi
                        Art Dept.
                        Univ. of Wisconsin - Oshkosh
                        Oshkosh, WI 54901

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 89 18:08 EDT
From: <JRCLARK%UTKVX1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: undeletable folder

A colleague copied some files from a floppy to a SCSI drive. The documents
within the folder failed to copy. Now he has an empty folder that he
can not delete--he gets a "file busy" error. Restarting does not solve
the problem, he cannot delete the folder, nor can he close it from
a program written to just close a file. On running some disk utility, he
finds that "two files own the same block." (I think he was using one of the
SUM utilities.)

Is there any way to correct the problem without reformatting his hard disk>

End of Info-Mac Digest