Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (04/19/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 18 Apr 89       Volume 7 : Issue  71

Today's Topics:
                       American MAC's in Europe
                 CAUTION! Mounting HDs in MACIIcx...
                       Image capture & display
                      impact printer for Mac IIs
                             MacTrek 0.99
                              MacWelcome
                      MacWrite printing problems
              More on printing rotated text in MacDraw I
                    Operating U.S. Macs in Europe
                            ResCicn 1.0b3
             Retrospect Archiver Demo Stack (part 1 of 4)
                       software diagram editors
                     Text Compression Algorithms?
                      The Mac and amateur radio
                          Undeletable Folder
                         Undeletable folders

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 89 8:55:50 EST
From: "CPT Steven M. Mahoney" <smmahone@crdec1.apgea.army.mil>
Subject: American MAC's in Europe

I have just returned from Germany and found no problems with using either
MAC 512, 512E, or Plus's.  I saw numerous Imagewriter I and II's being used
with no problems.  These were American MAC's.  The American military sells
them through the P.X. system overseas.

For MAC Plus's and smaller a transformer is required.  I had a nice one for
my MAC and Imagewriter II, with surge suppression, for $80 retail.  If you
are near american military, used transformers can be bought for about 50%
retail.  I saw many Imagewriter II's in use with none of the problems
warned about by Apple.

Foreign Public Domain is interesting (if you can read the language) with
many programs not available here.  I tried sending this direct, but the
message could not make it.

Have a fun time in Europe.

					STEVE MAHONEY

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 89 10:38:53 EDT
From: rb@chroma.med.upenn.edu (Richard J. Bookman)
Subject: CAUTION! Mounting HDs in MACIIcx...

If you are going to purchase a third party hard disk for
a MACIIcx, you should pause for a  moment (or perhaps afew
weeks) until the manufacturers have time to come up with
the correct mounting hardware for the MACIIcx.

A recent experience:
I called Hard Drives International (Arizona - 1-800) to order
another Quantum drive. I told the sales rep that this was for
a MACIIcx (cx...not x) and asked whether they had the correct mounting
hardware for this new machine. hold on...i'll go ask the guys in
the tech room...yeh...no problem...this kit works for all the MAC IIs.
The drive arrives with the UNI-MAC installation and formatting kit...
for the SE or II or IIx. This kit does NOT work for the MacIIcx!
More phone calls:  HDI tech support finally says we're sorry...our best
information was that...we didn't know until today (Now that is scary!).
UNI-MAC tech support says...of course that kit
doesn't work for the cx...we'lll have the new cx kit ready in thirty
days. HDI says to check on Wednesday (4/19). Stay tuned!

Lesson: No matter the extent to which you think you have asked
all the right questions...it doesn't help unless you ask the
right person.

No flames intended...the quantum drives are great...HDI delivers
quickly...I'm assuming that they will fix their mistake.
For now, the drive is resting on the cx's funny looking plastic
shelf, humming away, working wonderfully...so long as I can keep the cat

------------------------------

Date: 18 Apr 89   10:02 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Image capture & display

Date: 18 April 1989, 09:56:36 EST
From: WMLBTAM at UCCCVM1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU

We are assembling an Ethertalk network of 8-9 Mac II/IIx/IIcxes and a MicroVAX
with each workstation having at least 4M RAM and 40MB local storage.  Another
department has an application running which has slaved a Philips-type laser-
disk player to an MS-DOS pc running dBASE III+ to select records under dBASE
and select frames to display on the laser-disk player.

Not only do we want to port this application to the Mac (not too difficult...),
but we also want to have the image data from the laserdisk ported down the
Ethernet to the requesting workstation (problem #1) and displayed on the same
monitor as the Mac's own stuff (problem #2).  We would like to NOT resort to
a two-cable system, unless necessary, and especially would NOT like to have to
use a two-tube system.

What products, announced or real, do you folks know about which would be useful
in assembling this networked image databank application?

Thanks for any responses...

Ted

Theodore Allan Morris                         | 231 Bethesda Avenue, ML# 574
University of Cincinnati Medical Center       | Cincinnati, OH  45267-0574
Medical Center Information and Communications | 513-558-6046 (W), 731-3451 (H)
Information Research and Development          | WMLBTAM@UCCCVM1, NTS WB8VNV,
==============================================| or AppleLink U1091
Call me up and I'll talk data to ya'!         | (you-one-zero-nine-one)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 89 17:55:28 -0400
From: stroup@itd.nrl.navy.mil (janet l stroup)
Subject: impact printer for Mac IIs

I'm in the market for an impact printer for the Mac IIs in our
secretaries' offices.  We can (re)create our standard (single page)
forms using the scanner/TrueForms/LaserWriter combination, BUT
there are still several forms that come in carbon packs that we
*have* to use (why anyone would rather have a fuzzy 9th carbon copy
instead of a nice crisp original-quality LaserWriter page I'll never
know).  We've come up with a reasonable set-up for one of the Macs,
using Hypercard and attaching an old Diablo printer, and now we'd
like to do the same for the other Macs in our group.

I am aware of only one Mac-compatible impact printer, the Apple
Daisywheel Printer, which seems like a good deal because it's reasonably
priced, easy to connect and use, and easy to get parts for since its
innards are basically a Qume Sprint 11.  Are there any others on the
market?  What about a serial-to-parallel adapter and an Epson, Okidata,
Panasonic, IBM, or other parallel printer?  Are these easy to use, e.g.,
will I have to write my own driver software for these?

Any suggestions, recommendations, or pointers to other info would be
greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Janet Stroup			stroup@itd.nrl.navy.mil
HCI Lab, Code 5533		(202) 767-0491
Naval Research Laboratory
Washington, DC 20375-5000

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 89 00:11:07 -0500
From: mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder)
Subject: MacTrek 0.99
MacTrek is a Star Trek trivia game I started working on very shortly
after trying out a program you may have seen yourself, called, I think,
Star Trek Trivia Game.  As soon as I'd tried it, I thought, "I can do
better than that."  You may find this a bit conceited... unless you've
tried this other program.

In any case, MacTrek 0.99 is the current version of the result.  As you
can tell by the version number, it's just about finished.  I'd call
this version 1.0, but I'm not THAT convinced that this version is
perfect.  That's up to YOU to tell ME.

If you've seen a game called MacTrek before, chances are it WAS NOT
this one.  I discovered recently that there's another program out there
with the same name.  The other MacTrek is a Mac implementation (a
fairly decent one, actually) of the old mainframe Star Trek game, which
was also implemented on several micros earlier this decade and last.

I hope you enjoy using this program as much as I enjoyed creating it!
Please write to me to tell me your thoughts, feelings, etc.  I can be
reached at any of the below addresses.

Mark H. Anbinder          thcy@crnlvax5.bitnet
312 Highland Road         thcy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
Ithaca, NY 14850          Mark Anbinder/FidoNet:260/407

[Archived as /info-mac/game/mactrek-099.hqx; 136K]

------------------------------

Date: 18 Apr 89 7:59 EDT
From: Joe_Murphy.CAC.CAC@a.darpa.mil
Subject: MacWelcome

Hello,
I am in search of a program that could be used to display a "message of
the day" to Mac users on a LocalTalk/EtherTalk network. Such a program
would display a message once to each user when they logged on. Does such
a program (INIT?) exist?

In digest #69 someone mentioned MacWelcome. What is it?

Joe Murphy
Computing Analysis
DARPA IRC

NETS: jam@a.darpa.mil, jamurphy@a.isi.edu
BIX: jamurphy

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 89 10:45:49 PDT
From: broder@venera.isi.edu (Ben Broder)
Subject: MacWrite printing problems

I am experiencing a strange problem on my MacSE.
When I try to print MacWrite documents only the first page
is printed in full, subsequent pages come out blank.
I am running MacWrite 4.5 off of a hard disk with System 6.0.2
and I'm not sure where to start in debugging this problem.
Should I try replacing MacWrite, or the System file, or the
Imagewriter file?

	Thanks for your help,

	Benjamin Broder (broder@vaxa.isi.edu)

------------------------------

Date: 18 Apr 1989 1227-PDT
From: DKAVNER@ecla.usc.edu
Subject: More on printing rotated text in MacDraw I

We have just unfortunately discovered the problem with printing rotated
text in MacDraw reported last month by Peter Jorgensen.  We have several
Mac Plus/SE/IIs connected to two LaserWriter Pluses.  The Macs have from
1 to 5 meg RAM and we use MacDraw 1.9.5 and MacDraw II.

Everything used to work fine under System 4.2 and LaserWriter/LaserPrep
5.0.  We recently upgraded to System 6.0.2 and LaserWriter/LaserPrep 5.2.
Now MacDraw 1.9.5 crashes (ID=02) when printing vertical text without
MultiFinder on the Plus and SE, I haven't tried a II.  Yet, it works with
background printing under MultiFinder!  MacDraw II works with or without
MultiFinder.

Several of the Macs do not have MacDraw II or the memory to run
MultiFinder continuously.  Our interim solution is to reboot under
MultiFinder to print.  I really do not want to try a mixed System
6.0/LaserWriter 5.0 combo after having been burned badly on System
3.2/LaserWriter 5.0 with the Mac Pluses.

Any ideas?  How about a combination of option settings?

Doug Kavner

-------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 89 20:53:50 WET DST
From: Flash Sheridan <flash%cs.qmc.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Operating U.S. Macs in Europe

It's the wrong way around, but I used my English Fat Mac & ImageWriter in
the States using just a transformer.  No problems; the hardest part was just
getting a socket the right shape; I ended up buying new power cables.
From: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
Portal,MacNet: FlashsMom

------------------------------

Date: 7 Apr 89 14:00:38 GMT
From: migeon@inria.UUCP (Maurice Migeon)
Subject: ResCicn 1.0b3
[ResCicn 1.0b3]

This is a cicn package for ResEdit (use it an 1.2b4 version or
later).  Should work on Mac Plus & SE but we have only IIs...
If not use your favorite debugger and tell me when it does.

Hope you like it.

Frederic, Jean-Michel, Maurice.

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/rescicn-10b3.hqx; 41K]

------------------------------

Date: 11 Apr 89 00:00:26 GMT
From: chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach)
Subject: Retrospect Archiver Demo Stack (part 1 of 4)
There's been a fair amount of interest in Retrospect.  This stack
describes Retrospect (a new file archiving system by Dantz software
currently under testing).  Requires HyperCard and StuffIt.

Chuq Von Rospach       -*-      Editor,OtherRealms      -*-      Member SFWA
chuq@apple.com  -*-  CI$: 73317,635  -*-  Delphi: CHUQ  -*-  Applelink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

USENET: N. A self-replicating phage engineered by the phone company to cause
computers to spend large amounts of their owners budget on modem charges.

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/retrospect-stack.hqx; 145K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 89 17:35:09 BST
From: PHY6JEM%CMS1.UCS.LEEDS.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: software diagram editors

I looked at this one too, Design isn't the only product on the
market.

There's a demo version of Design 2.0 out on UUCPnet and possibly
available from some of the Bitnet servers too.  I've not seen the
real thing nor do I know whether the demo reflects the latest version
but from the demo it looks quite good.  MetaSoftware also do Design/IDEF
which is specifically aimed at those who wish to draw IDEF diagrams.
Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to what an IDEF diagram is.
Lastly there is Design/OA which is a"development system for generating
customized object-oriented graphics applications".  From the flier it
seems to be a toolbox which allows Lightspeed C programmers make Design
type pictures from within their code.  Pricey at 5000 dollars too!
  Educorp have a demo version of MacBubbles which is an editor for
dataflow diagrams.  It might do some other diagrams too but I didn't
get very far with it.  I got the feeling that it was a demo of an
alpha test version.  Its dated 1987 so it might have improved by now.
The address is Starsys, 1113 Morlee Drive, Silver Spring, MD20902 and
the price quoted was 779 dollars.
  Advanced Logical Software, 9903 SantaMonica Bvd. Suite 108 Beverly
Hills Ca90212 make something called Anatool aimed at Yourdon-DeMarco
SASD fanatics.  In addition to the diagram editor it has a data
dictionary generator and possibly a pseudocode generator. I've not
seen a demo but since its 1675 dollars I've little interest in doing
so.
  Andyne Computing Ltd, 544 Princess St, Suite 212, Kingston Ontario
Canada K7L 1C7 do ERvision which draws and analyses Entity-Relationship
diagrams for database design. Cost 150dollars.  Other products include
some tool for MASCOT realtime methodology and some SQL dtatbase stuff.
I've not seen any of these working.
  Then there are a couple of British products that you mayn't have
heard of.
  Burway Software Services, Burway, Rickmansworth Road, Northwood,
Middlesex, HA6 2RD, GB; publish DiagramMaker.  Again I've not seen it
in action but it seems to be a simple tool allowing you to draw various
boxes and link them up.  Rubberbanding is supported as well as some
degree of heirarchy between related diagrams.  The best bit is the price
of 69pounds.
  The one I'm buying is MacCadd from Logica UK Ltd, 64 Newman St,
London, W1A 4SE, GB.  It costs 235 for the entry level version 4.0.
It does flowcharts and dataflow diagrams and structure charts and
finite state machine diagrams and anything else you can think of.
You can tell it the rules of the diagram you're drawing and then it
makes sure you stick to them.  The more advanced, more expensive version
5.0 produces data dictionaries and probably does more too.  The
diagrams and their rules are held in files as PROLOG statements in
a format defined in the manual.  This means you can see and fiddle about
with the objects in the object oriented drawings using a text editor!
Its big drawback is that at version 4.0 you can't save your diagrams
in PICT or Macdraw format, just in MacCadds own internal format.
The application's name is a bit silly too.

I have no connection with any of the companies whose products I
describe.  Opinions are my own.  I just hope this might save someone
a bit of research.  Hope it reaches Info-mac ok this time.

                     John McMillan

------------------------------

Date: Tue 18 Apr 89 11:10:46-PDT
From: Brodie Lockard <I.ISIMO@hamlet.stanford.edu>
Subject: Text Compression Algorithms?

I'm looking for an easy-to-implement text compression algorithm.  An example
would be best--I don't have any background in data compression, though I once
read (and nearly understood) a summarized explanation of Huffman encoding.
I have about 25 pages that I need to compress to fit on a floppy with other
stuff.  C would be best, but Pascal is ok.  Thanks for any information.

Brodie Lockard
I.ISIMO@MACBETH.STANFORD.EDU
-------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 89 21:46 EDT
From: "Maj. Doug Hardie" <Hardie@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL>
Subject: The Mac and amateur radio

I finally remembered to look this up when I was at home.

Stan Horzepa, WA1LOU 75 Kreger Dr Wolcott, CT 06716-2702

He is the author of the On Line column in QST.  I understand he
maintains at least a listing of Mac programs that are useful for hams.
Occasionally he discusses them in the column.

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 89 19:31:10 PDT
From: Jay_Handel@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Undeletable Folder

> A colleague copied some files from a floppy to a SCSI drive. The documents
> within the folder failed to copy. Now he has an empty folder that he
> can not delete--he gets a "file busy" error. . . .

Drag the problem folder to the trash can, and then turn off your Mac
using the "Shut Down" command in the Special Menu.  When you turn
your computer on again, the folder should be gone.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 89 01:06:03 PST
From: JHL@naif.jpl.nasa.gov
Subject: Undeletable folders

        I had a similar problem of not being able to delete a folder
and have left some comments on the old MacTutor bulletin board.  In
my case all files in the 'Condemned folder' beginning with alpha letter
greater than M had disappeared.  I was able to resolve the problem without
reformatting the disk and have had no problems since (the event happened
about 9 months ago).  It turned out (using Fedit) that the 'valence parameter'
of the catalog B-tree indicated (incorrectly) that there were some sub-
directories to the 'Condemned folder'.  I was able to change that valence
parameter, and then upon re-mounting the hard disk (i.e. either mount from
a floppy or rebuild the desktop) was able to delete the actually empty
folder. In my case originally there were some files in the condemned folder--
it was my MPW directory--and I was able to SEE them (but not to delete them)
using Qued/M.  I was able to DELETE them (but couldn't see them) using
MPW once I knew their names.  So I copied them with QuedM and then cleaned
out the condemned folder with MPW and then ultimately deleted the condemned
folder with Fedit after changing the valence parameter.
        In my case the problem occurred after a bomb in MPW when the
condemned folder had been open.
        Good luck on the problem.  If the MacToot board is no longer up
and you can't find the string of my messages, let me know and I'll try
to find them in my archives.            -Jay Lieske

End of Info-Mac Digest