Date: Thu, 20 Apr 89 20:55:51 EDT
From: Jean Brunet <R31631@UQAM>
Subject: BUSY FOLDER

I tried the various trick given to delete a so called busy folder without
success, I still get a -47 error. If I copy this folder from my hard disk to a
disquette I can delete it (the copy on the disquette) without problem but I
still can not delete the one on the hard disk nor copy over it from disquette
to hard disk. Any suggestion! Note that the folder is empty ( 0 K). I would
like to avoid to initialize my hard disk. Looking for a saviour!

******************************************                  ------------
* JEAN BRUNET                            *    QQQ QQQ QQQ    ----------
* DEPT. DES COMMUNICATIONS               *   QQQ QQQ QQQ    |NETNORTH  |
* UNIVERSITE DU QUEBEC A MONTREAL (UQAM) *  QQQ QQQ QQQ     |----------|
* C.P. 8888, SUCC. 'A', MONTREAL, QC.    *         QQQ      |R31631    |
* CANADA, H3C 3P8                        *        QQQ       |    @ UQAM|
* TEL: (514) 282-4897                    *       QQQ         ----------
******************************************                  ------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 89 10:14:10 EST
From: "Bret Ingerman 315-443-1865" <INGERMAN%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Compiled HyperCard

   I remember reading in one of the mags about a product that would allow
you to "compile" hypercard scripts.  Does anyone know anything about this,
where I can get it, and exactly what purpose it serves?

Bret Ingerman                                  INGERMAN@SUVM.ACS.SYR.EDU
Microcomputer Consultant
Syracuse University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 89 10:15:11 EST
From: dmg@mitre.mitre.org
Subject: Fax to Mac...

Amongst the various fax modems available for the Macintosh, I seem to recall
there is one (perhaps more at this point) that is capable of receiving
facsimilies without being connected to a Mac (for example, at night you could
turn off all the office machines, and just leave the fax modem on.  If any
facsimilies arrive overnight, they are saved in the modem's internal storage
and printed in the morning).

What is the name and manufacturer of this fax modem?

David Gursky
Member of the Technical Staff, W-143
Special Projects Department
The MITRE Corporation

------------------------------

Date: 21 Apr 89 09:59:21 GMT
From: unido!ifistg!braunl@uunet.uu.net (Thomas Braeunl)
Subject: help needed with 24bit color environment

We just bought a RasterOps ColorBoard 104 for the MacII
with a 24bit environment but only little documentation.
I'd like to access it via Turbo Pascal and need a routine
for displaying a pixel or drawing a vector in a 24bit color.
If anybody knows how to do this, please let me know by mail.

Thomas Braunl               e-mail:  unido!ifistg!braunl@seismo.css.gov
Univ. Stuttgart IFI,  Azenbergstr. 12,  D-7000 Stuttgart 1,  W.-Germany

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 89 09:39 EST
From: <TOM%FANDM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Tom, Tech. Support)
Subject: IMPACT PRINTERS

Janet Stroup asks about impact printers for the MacII.

I have not tried the following on the MacII but it is proven on the 512K,
Plus and SE.

We use Daisywriter 2000.  They can be used by almost any computer on the
market.  They have both serial and parallel connections depending on the
cable configuration and dipswitch settings.  They can be set to emulate the
NEC, Diablo, Qume sprint, Atari 825, Centronics 737, Daisywriter and dumb
printer.  Most of our offices use MSWord so we install the Serial Printer
and Diablo drivers that come with the program and run Diablo 630 emulation
on the printer.

The beauty of the printer is that for maintenance, we can swap them between
computers at will.  Operation is as simple as any printer of the type.
They have given us reliable service for several years now. They tend to be
a little touchy about mechanical adjustment of the ribbon mechanism but we
have never had to repair any electronics in them and we have a base of about
20 of these printers.

Now here's the bad part.  They are no longer made.  A few months ago we
called the factory source and were given the bad news, but at that time
they were still remanufacturing the printer.  We purchased two more, not
because we needed them, but because we like them so much for their
reliability and versatility.  We paid about $750 for them if I recall
correctly.  They would, I imagine, still have remanufactured units
available.  I inspected our new units and found them to be as new for all
practical purposes.

Support has always been good.  I've needed to order a few gears and some
other minor parts and they have always been in stock.  The parts list also
includes a full line of replacement boards, mechanical parts, and just
about everything else.  When I last spoke to the folks, they assured be
they would continue to remanufacture and support this unit.

The other news is that the printer is made by Brother and is comparable to
the Brother HRI printer (whatever that is).

Our factory source is:  Complete Electronics
                        9272 Jeronimo, Bldg. 116
                        Irvine, CA  92718
                        (714) 458-0130

Brother's number is 800-526-3537

This info is a year old (May 1988) but I would suspect they are still
around and doing well.

Have a good day!!!!!

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

FRANKLIN & MARSHALL COLLEGE
---------------------------

                Tom Mahoney
       Computer Electonics Technician
              Computer Services

Bitnet: Tom@FANDM              P.O. Box 3003
Applelink: A0159               Lancaster, PA  17604-3003
FAX: (717) 291-4143            (717) 291-4005

Disclaimer: If I really said any of this, I'll probably change
            my mind by the time you get it.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 89 13:57 CST
From: <CCLARK%UTMEM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Question

I have been unable to use 256 color pict files as desktop pictures.  For
some unknown reason the desktop comes up in 16 colors, not 256.  I am
positive that the original pictures are 256 color.  Also, the software
that I've tried includes the shareware program DeskPict as well as the
commercial package ColorDesk (cdev).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cole Clark
CCLARK@UTMEM1
University of Tennessee, Memphis
BIT Center

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 89 10:08:21 MDT
From: BBOLT@UALTAVM.BITNET
Subject: MasterJuggler

I have been using MasterJuggler for a couple of months and have found it
to be a very good product. But, I have encountered a bug which AlSoft has
not been able to help me with. I have installed my most often used
applications in the Application List popup menu. Some of the applications
are on my local hard drive and others are on an AppleShare server volume.
The problem is that every couple of weeks, all of the applications from
the server volume become disabled (grey) on the menu, even though the
volume is mounted. The only way to fix it is to reinstall the applications.
AlSoft had not heard of this problem and had no suggestions. Has anyone
else encountered this? Any suggestions on how I can get around this
would be appreciated because it is a pain to have to reinstall.

Bob Bolt
BBOLT@UALTAVM

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 89 10:18:51 MDT
From: BBOLT@UALTAVM.BITNET
Subject: Montage

I have access to a Montage film recorder and would like to try it out.
But, the only software that can drive it is PowerPoint, which I don't
own. I would like to use MORE II or MacDraw II and have been told that
the files must be in PICT format to use with the Montage. Has anyone had
experience with this setup? I am particularily interested in how I can
assign the colors with a monochrome SE.

Bob Bolt
BBOLT@UALTAVM

------------------------------

Date: Thu 20 Apr 89 09:54:15-PST
From: ROHAN%ASTRO.SPAN@star.stanford.edu
Subject: Printing thru a comm link to Postscript Printer?

I am in the need of the ability to print to a postscript printer that
is on a terminal server connected to my communications port.  On my
companies PC's we use a communications program to make a connection to
the printer and then print out using the serial port for output.  The
Macintosh does not seem to have this capability to print thru the
serial port.  Is there some sort of utility, either commercial or public
domain, that can redirect printer output to the communications line?
Please respond to me directally, I am new to this newsletter, and may
not be recieving it yet.

Rick Rohan ROHAN%ASTRO.SPAN@STAR.STANFORD.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 89 10:10:15 EST
From: "Bret Ingerman 315-443-1865" <INGERMAN%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Programming Mac Help

   I'm hoping that some of you can help with this.  If there is enough
interest, I will summarize for the net:

   We are interested in programming our own XCMD's and XFN's for HyperCard.
What I would like is a list of the software products and books that are
needed to do this.  I am an experienced programmer, just not on the Mac.
For the sake of argument, assume that we have nothing and know nothing
about Mac programming.

   On a related note, what software / books are necessary to program
applications on the Mac?

   Please reply to me directly, or, to the net (direct is preferred).

   Thank you.

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 89 11:58:49 EDT
From: Guenther Blaschek <K331671%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Question: Linear Pgming, Simulation, ViewEdit

Hi net,
two colleagues of mine have asked me to ask you for the availability
of the following packages for the Macintosh:
 - Are there any programs for
    a) linear programming/optimization (e.g. simplex method)
    b) discrete simulation (GPSS, Simula, ...)
   Public Domain or ShareWare products are preferred, but information
   about commercial programs is also welcome.
 - There should be a prototyping tool called "ViewEdit" that generates
   MacApp classes. Its user interface is said to be similar to
   SmetherBarnes' Prototyper.
   Does anybody know anything about availability/sources/price
   of this product?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    e                           Guenther Blaschek
   gu                    EMail: <K331671@AEARN>
                         SNail: University of Linz / Austria
                                Institute of Computer Science / Software
                                Altenbergerstr. 69
                                A-4040 Linz
                         Tel.:  +43 (732) 2468 / 447

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 89 14:18:51 EDT
From: ephraim@think.com
Subject: SF&I 1.01

Enclosed is version 1.01 of SF&I, my SCSI Formatter and Installer.
Version 1.01 corrects two problems:

	1. The previous version reset the SCSI bus while
	   searching for SCSI devices.  This nasty behavior
	   has been removed.  Instead, a "Test Unit Ready"
	   command is issued to each selectable device.

	2. In case of an error, the previous version always
	   insisted that no Sense data could be obtained.
	   (Unless it really couldn't, in which case it
	   displayed garbage.)  This has been corrected.

There are no changes to the device driver.

Ephraim Vishniac  /  Internet: ephraim@think.com  / AppleLink: ThinkingCorp
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

	"Arlo Guthrie, it seems, has found what he was looking for:
		God, and the Macintosh." (Boston Globe)

[Archived as /info-mac/util/scsi-formatter-101.hqx; 31K]

End of Info-Mac Digest