Date: Sun, 23 Apr 1989 15:11:30 PDT
From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Administrivia

New stuff in the archives which I FTPed:

1. 2Mb of the most popular sound files from wsmr-simtel20.army.mil. These are
   all in the sound directory.

2. A HP Deskjet printer driver with source from kampi.hut.fi. The source is
   in the source directory (which has been subdivided into c and pascal
   sections) and the rest is in util.

And I mistakenly deleted a whole digest issue, so if you sent us a message
recently and you haven't seen it in a digest, better resend. All of the files
>From that issue are properly stored in the archives, so don't bother about
those. Sorry about that.

Those of you who didn't receive issue 71 can pick it up from the archives;
72 has vanished into the telephone network.

Bill Lipa
Info-Mac

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 89 01:35 EDT
From: JEFF WASILKO--PRESIDENT PRINTER'S DEVILS LOCAL 49 <JJW7384%ritvax.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Can Imagewriter be used with IBM PC?

This summer I will be using an IBM PC to do some programming work, and was
wondering if there is a way that I could use my Imagewriter II with the IBM. I
really don't have the room on my desk (or elsewhere) for another printer.

If it's possible, could someone let me know what cables/adapters are necessary.
I'm not above making my own cable, it someone knows the pinouts.

Thanks for the help...

Jeff

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 89 10:56:19 CDT
From: Frank W. Peters <peters@cc.msstate.edu>
Subject: Hard Disk Backup for an A/UX SYSTEM?

Hello,

     I have recently acquired an Apple Macintosh IIcx with A/UX, Apple's
version of UNIX for their systems.  My next purchase will be some sort of
backup system (I am currently borrowing an Apple 40meg tape system from a
co-worker).

     I'm interested in any hints or suggestions about what I should get.  In
particular, do any third party tape systems work with A/UX (that is, can they
be accessed as standard UNIX /dev devices from within A/UX)?  Is anyone using
one of the many removable disk units currently available for backup?  If so,
how well does it work?  How do you like it?  What advantages/disadvantages
does it give over a tape system?   and, finally, does anyone have any other
suggestions about systems for doing disk backups?

     Please send any responses to me directly.  I will post a summary to
the net if interest warrents.

                            Thanks
                            Frank Peters

| Systems & Networks Programmer      |   Mississippi State University  |
| Phone:    (601) 325-2942           |   Computing Center and Services |
| Internet:  peters@CC.MsState.Edu   |   Post Office Drawer CC         |
| BITNET:    PETERS@MSSTATE.BITNET   |   Mississippi State, MS.  39762 |
"What if I wanna worry?  What if I *like* being unhappy??"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 89 09:18 CST
From: AEEVERETT%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #73

The program that compiles HyperCard scripts is called "CompileIt!",
distributed by Heizer Software, costs about $100.  It is supremely slow
and deals with only a small subset of HyperTalk commands.  However, it is
very good for straight mathematical calculations that do not require
callbacks to HyperCard.  It supports ROM calls.

Please let me know if there is something else out there that might do better.

------------------------------

Date: 24 Apr 89 13:56 -0600
From: KRISHNA DESIKACHARY <desikacharyk%wnre.aecl.cdn@relay.ubc.ca>
Subject: Information about Script Manager

        Does anyone know any articles, references etc. where an account of
APPLE's SCRIPT MANAGER For NonRoman Scripts is given. I am looking for
a description of Script Manager capabilities in order to decide whether
to buy it or not to build an Editor for Indian Languages. So, please let
me know if you know of any such documentation before I enrich Apple with
my order. Thank you.

DESIKACHARY,K
Whiteshell Nuclear Research            DESIKACHARYK@WNRE.AECL.CDN
Pinawa, MB ROE 1LO
(204)753-2311 EXT 3062

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 89 10:58:08 CDT
From: Frank W. Peters <peters@cc.msstate.edu>
Subject: MacOS Applications under A/UX 1.1?

Hello,

     I recently acquired an Apple Macintosh IIcx with A/UX 1.1, Apple's
UNIX system.  Release 1.1 offers greater support for the Mac's toolbox
routines than did 1.0.

     With this in mind, I'm interested in hearing from anyone who knows
of any MacOS applications that run under A/UX 1.1.  I'd like to compile
a list (which I'd make available to anyone interested of course) of such
software (both sharewware/public domain and commercial).  Have any of the
major macazines (MacUser, MacWorld and the like) begun adding this kind
of information to their reviews?  (Hmmmmm..mebbe I should write 'em a
letter suggesting it...)

     Please send any replies to me and I will post a summary to the net
if interest warrents.

                                   Thanks
                                   Frank W. Peters

P.S.  If any vendors want to drop me a note saying "our product works
      just spiffy with A/UX" I won't mind at all.  Don't be shy...

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 89 16:30 CDT
From: <BROOKS%TAMVXOCN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacWelcome

        xxx wrote in the digest (V.7 #71) asking about MacWelcome(TM) 1.3.
I had mentioned it in my request for an automatic shutdown cdev.  It is a
startup application (set in Finder using the Set Startup... selection in
the Special menu) that puts text on the screen - up to 100 lines of 255
characters each.  It then proceeds to transfer to another program, or goes
on to Finder/MultiFinder when the OK button is clicked.  At least, that's
what it says it does.
        You are supposed to be able to convert plain text files into the
WelcomeMessage file. I have not been able to get it to do so properly. Also,
the thing continually gives errors of 'Cannot get resource' causing the
application to either bomb or quit unexpectedly.  Documentation is very
sparse.  There is no text formatting - no font selection or styles or sizes -
and no scroll bars, meaning on a normal Mac screen, you can only read about
twenty-four lines of text - not the 100 lines that the program can use.  The
idea is a good one, but it needs much more work.  I don't have much info
on the programmer, but what I have follows, as well as where I got it from.

        MacWelcome(TM) 1.3 by Chris Klugewicz (c)1988, freeware
        purchased from Educorp, 531 Stevens Ave, Suite B
                       Solana Beach, CA 92075
                       Disk#2518

        It says it is freeware, and I guess if anyone would like me to I'll
upload it to the archives.  Like I said, after I tried using it, I found
that it didn't work quite as well as I thought it would.  It may just have
some conflicts of interest with the system or the various INITs and cdevs.
It might just be easier if someone writes one that works well.

                Dave Martin                     DAVE@GERGA
                Geochemical & Environmental Research Group
                (Texas A&M University - Oceanography Dept)
                           10 South Graham Road
                     College Station, Texas     77840
                              (409) 690-0095

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 89 15:38 CDT
From: John DeSoi <john@murph.tamu.edu>
Subject: PICT/TeX and other goodies

Does anyone know of an utilities for converting PICT files into some
format that would be compatible with TeX?  Or PICT to some other VMS
graphics format?  Also, I have heard rumors that there are BINHEX
utilities for VMS and UNIX which let you specify wildcard pathnames to
operate upon.  Any help in finding any of the above would be greatly
appreciated.

John F. DeSoi

Laboratory for Software Research
Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas  77843-3112
(409) 845-4306
BITNET: desoi@tamlsr
INTERNET: desoi@lsr.tamu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 89 09:00 EDT
From: "Cogito Ergo ZOOM." <ACSAZ%SEMASSU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: QUARK XPRESS

        Hello, I'm a new member to your list and I've got a question concerning
Quark Xpress 1.1.  For some reason Xpress is trying to download Times and it
changes all the text to courier.  Any suggestions?  Also, Mac User has reported
2 new Mac Viruses.  I would appreciate any information on them.  I think they
are called hPat and Init 29.  To the best of my knowledge we don't have then
at my school yet.

                        Many thanks,
                                Alex Zavatone @ Southeastern Mass University
                                Library Macintosh Software Chief

[To solve virus woes I recommend Disinfectant 1.1 and GateKeeper 1.1, both
 of which can be found in the virus directory in our archives. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 24 Apr 89 10:49:19-PDT
From: Brodie Lockard <I.ISIMO@hamlet.stanford.edu>
Subject: Sharp color Scanner

Does anyone know where I could get access to a Sharp color scanner for 8-10
hours in the SF Bay Area?  The only store I've found that carries them,
ComputerWare in Palo Alto, doesn't rent them.  I'm interested in info on any
other color scanners, but Sharp seems to be the leader.  It must be color--
grayscale won't do.  Surely there's a service bureau somewhere that rents them,
or where I could send stuff for scanning?  Thanks for any info.

Brodie Lockard
I.ISIMO@HAMLET.STANFORD.EDU
-------

------------------------------

Date: 24-APR-1989 12:54:15.14
From: Jennifer Kleiman <JKLEIMAN@eagle.wesleyan.edu>
Subject: Terminal Emulators in Hypercard

I'm interested in writing a terminal emulation program that could capture text
off of our vax and send it to MacIntalk, or any other speech synthesizer.  Does
anyone know of an existing terminal emulator that would do that?  Or, failing
that, XCMD and XFCNs that access the serial port, so that I could write a
terminal emulator in Hypercard.  Failing that, does anyone know what good
references exist for writing XCMDS and XFCNS?  I'd like to write this mainly in
Hypercard, as I know it handles MacIntalk and other speech synthesis easily.

Jennifer Kleiman
JKLEIMAN@eagle.wesleyan.edu
JKLEIMAN@wesleyan.bitnet

End of Info-Mac Digest