Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/05/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu,  4 May 89       Volume 7 : Issue  81

Today's Topics:
                         Color Pattern Maker
                    Command History for Hypercard
                       Fonts for ImageWriter LQ
                          FoxBase Utilities
                              GDraw 1.0
                      Giff Files/CLUT Resources
                      Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
             Interface Guidelines: Shrinking a Selection
                        Localtalk/PC Questions
                           MacBinary 1.0.1
                               Printers
                               Rebound
                   Regarding the Kermit problems...
                         SCSI Tools CDEV 1.0
                              Spiro! 1.1
                         TappyType CDEV 0.94
                            TeX Previewer
                         Using NCSA TELNET...
                     What are Word 4.0 features?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Tue,  2 May 89 01:00:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Norman William Franke, III" <nf0i+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Color Pattern Maker

The following program will allow the creation of color patterns, or 'ppats'
on a Mac II.  They then can be used as desktop patterns by using ResEdit to
paste them into the System file.  It can make 8, 16, 32 or 64 square pixel
patterns from a color PICT file.  Documentation is included as well as some
sample patterns.  Color Pattern Maker is shareware for $8.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/color-pattern-maker.hqx; 47K]

------------------------------

Date: 26 Apr 89 17:00:31 GMT
From: martin@m2.ti.com (Steven Martin)
Subject: Command History for Hypercard
If you use the message box, you will love this!  After installing
Command History for Hypercard, you can select previously typed commands
>From a "History" menu.  You can also recall previously typed commands
to the message box so they can be reexecuted.  This is $10 shareware,
the first offering from Steve Martin (no, not THE Steve Martin)

--
Steve Martin            USENET: {ctvax,im4u,texsun,rice}!ti-csl!martin
                        ARPANET: SMARTIN@CSC.TI.COM  COMPUSERVE: 72727,1471

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/command-history.hqx; 39K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 May 89 11:13:32 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Fonts for ImageWriter LQ

>From:Klaus Schnathmeier:
>Getting more big fonts seems to be nearly impossible...
If you have access to a PostScript printer, the program "FontSizer" will
produce screen fonts in any size you like (up to 127 point) for any
PostScript font.  Therefore, you could use it to make 3x size screen fonts
of New Century Schoolbook, Palatino, Bookman, etc. that would provide high
quality printing on the ImageWriter LQ.

------------------------------

Date: 30 Apr 89 00:00:59 GMT
From: alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen)
Subject: FoxBase Utilities
Here are three small utilities I wrote for FoxBase programmers.

The first, FoxBinder, will take many FoxBase program files and merge
them into one large "Procedure" file, along with the appropriate "Set
Procedure" and "Procedure procname" lines.

The secend, FoxMenus, will take any resource file with MENU resources
and write a FoxBase procedure which will create menus as specified in
the resources.

The last one, MenuChange XCMD, is an XCMD which allows you to add,
delete, or modify FoxBase menus once they are already in use.  While
FoxBase can do this already, using the XCMD is a much better approach
since it's MUCH faster, and the menu bar doesn't flicker annoyingly.
You also don't have to carry menu state information around in globals
if you use this XCMD.

All of these programs come with built-in documentation which can be
printed by any text-capable word processor.  (That's actually the
neatest hack in these programs...)

These programs are copyrighted by me, but may be freely distributed.

Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}

[Archived as /info-mac/app/foxbase-utilities.hqx; 44K]

------------------------------

Date: 29 Apr 89 18:00:40 GMT
From: cjr20670@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Charles J Reiman)
Subject: GDraw 1.0
Here's a simple graphics demo that is sort of a crazy cross between a
bouncing ball and a physics lecture.

Thanks!     Charlie Reiman   cjr20670@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/app/gdraw.hqx; 10K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 May 89 15:39:17 cdt
From: "Rose,Eric R" <ROSEE%GRIN1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Giff Files/CLUT Resources

Hello to the net.

I have been collecting GIFF files for some time, but find myself unable to do
anything with them.  The Giffer advertises the ability to save in PICT0 or
PICT format, but unfortunately, saving in these formats removes the color
palette from the picture and substitutes the system palette.  Anyone who has
tried this knows that the results are considerably less than satisfactory.

My primary goal is to save them so that they can be opened in a color
graphics application such as Pixelpaint.  I have tried using the KLUTZ DA to
try to save the color palette of the GIFF files while they are on screen, and
then load the color palette directly into Pixelpaint, but it has not done me
much good.  The files which KLUTZ saves cannot be read directly into
Pixelpaint, nor does substituting the CLUT resource alter the color palette
of the Pixelpaint document.

Do I need a newer version of KLUTZ, Giffer, or a totally new approach?
Anyone with any ideas, please write back to me.  My bitnet address is
ROSEE@GRIN1.Bitnet

Many thanks.

Eric Rose

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 May 89 10:45:05 PLT
From: the Center of Kumqwat <60255873%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The robocop sounds that were placed in archive have a password on them...
Anybody know what it might be...???

|From the Musings of:                                          This machine ||
|Wilhelm (Rafial) Fitzpatrick                                       is      ||
|60255873%WSUVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU                         Not Buddha  ||

[The password is null; just hit return. I edited the file header to say this.
 - Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 May 89 21:12:40 PDT
From: siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Anthony E. Siegman)
Subject: Interface Guidelines: Shrinking a Selection

If you select a range within, e.g., a text document, then Shift-Click
anywhere within the selection, the selection shrinks by unselecting
everything after the point at which the Shift-Click is done.

There seem to be many cases where I want to Select All in a document,
then unselect a few lines at the beginning of the document -- for
example to change font or ruler settings everywhere within a long
letter or report except for the letterhead or title lines at the
beginning of the report, which have different fonts and ruler
settings.

Seems as if using Option-Click or Command-Click to "Deselect
backwards", just as Shift-Click "Deselects forward", would be a useful
addition to the interface specifications in this case.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 May 89 11:14:25 EDT
From: williams@cbl.umd.edu (Bill Williams)
Subject: Localtalk/PC Questions

We've just persuaded local management to buy a localtalk/PC card for the clone
that competes with our Macs for the laser printer (a NEC Silentwriter), but we
frankly have no idea how to use it.  The idea is to allow the PC to talk to the
Silentwriter on the Appletalk network, rather than on its current parallel
interface, so we don't have to walk down the hall to the Silentwriter every-
time we need it and switch it back and forth between the network and the PC.
Do we need some special software for the card?  If not, how do we tell the
various PC applications (or DOS, for that matter) to use the card instead of
its normal interfaces?  Will all become clear when we get the documentation that
comes with the card (we're getting the genuine Apple(r) card)?

Please reply directly; I don't get this distribution reliably.  Internet:
BITNET:  williams@cbl.umd.edu.

			Thanks in advance,

				Bill Williams

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 May 89 10:28 EDT
From: Greg Smith <SMITH%BKNLVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacBinary 1.0.1

To the moderators:

I posted the following the other week, and it has shown up in the archives, but
I believe that the message was destined to show up in V7, #72, which never made
it around.  So, here is a repost:
This StuffIt archive contains the MacBinary application and a MacWrite
document.  Some methods of downloading MacBinary files (FTP to a Mac,
for example) can only download to the data fork of the Macintosh file.
The MacBinary program will translate such data files into their correct
components (info,data,rsrc).  There is an Upload feature to translate a
Mac file into a MacBinary data file, suitable for uploading via FTP.

The True MacBinary setting is for the case of catenating the three
pieces of a MacBinary file on unix into one text file prior to
downloading.  With some versions of xbin and macget, the resulting forks
on unix are not padded out to the 128 byte blocks that the MacBinary
standard specifies.  Turning True MacBinary off will handle this case.
The MacBinary utility will only create True MacBinary II files for
Uploading, regardless of the True MacBinary setting.  The Delete after
Download setting will delete the input data file after successfully
translating it to a Macintosh file.

This is version 1.0.1.

Please feel free to post this package on other servers.  It's freeware.

+----------------------------+------------------------------------+
| Greg Smith                 | BITNET:   smith@bucknell.bitnet    |
| Systems Analyst            |           smith@bknlvms.bitnet     |
| Bucknell Computer Services | INTERNET: smith@bucknell.edu       |
| Bucknell University        |           smith@coral.bucknell.edu |
| Lewisburg, PA  17837       | AT&Tnet:  (717) 524-1801           |
+----------------------------+------------------------------------+

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/macbinary.hqx; 27K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 May 89 09:35 EST
From: GODDEN@gmr.com
Subject: Printers

 >A friend is looking for an inexpensive printer for his Mac Plus.

You don't need a printer that 'emulates an Imagewriter' at all.  Any
dot matrix printer will do.  Just get yourself a smart cable called
The Grappler, made by a company called Orange Micro, to handle any
required code translations.  It plugs into the parallel port on your
cheap printer and connects directly to the Mac.  The cable has some
dip switches which you set according to the printer you have (MANY
printers are supported), plug it in and away you go.  It sells
around here retail for $129, and my dealer told me I could return
it if there was any problem getting it to work (there wasn't).
I have it connecting a $200 Panasonic 1080i and I get great looking
output, both text and graphics.  I have no connection with Orange
Micro.  I just like their product.  (It also works with Apple II GS.)
-Kurt Godden
 godden@gmr.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 May 89 19:07:58 EDT
From: xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye)
Subject: Rebound

Here is Version 0.95 of Rebound, written by Fred Reed, the author of
OnCue from IMI Software.
"Rebound is modern variant of Andy Hertzfeld's SFScrollInit, but it has
more flexibility and works better with current applications."
              --MacWEEK May 2, 1989
There is supposed to be a short documentation accompanying this init,
but I don't have it.  It is really easy to set up:
1) Drag SFscrollInit out of system folder if you have it previously
install.  If not skip this step
2) Put Rebound in System Folder
3) Restart your Macintosh

In the original documentation, it mentioned some features like holding down
command shift keys while invoking the open/save dialog will bypass
Rebound, etc.  I don't quite remember, just experiment it yourself.  I
don't think that it will do any harm (but there is no guarantee).

[Archived as /info-mac/init/rebound.hqx; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 May 89 15:50:38 EDT
From: George_Clarkson@mts.rpi.edu
Subject: Regarding the Kermit problems...

We often get users who are pulling our their hair because transfers
of binary data using Kermit appear to work but the resulting file
is garbage.  This occurs with Mac users, PC users and mainframe users.

The solution at our installation is to set up the communications
parameters on our phone switch and the micro to specify:
    7 data bits
    Even parity
    1 stop bit
No other communication setting works with our digital PBX for transferring
binary data.

George R. Clarkson
    Scientific Applications Consultant
    Information Technology Services
    Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
    Troy, NY 12180

    (518)-276-2752
    userfmc7%mts.rpi.edu@itsgw.rpi.edu (INTERNET)
    userfmc7@rpitsmts.bitnet (BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: 29 Apr 89 09:00:29 GMT
From: macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak)
Subject: SCSI Tools CDEV 1.0
SCSI Tools is a small Control Panel Device (cdev to programmers)
that has two functions.  One, it provides a status display of your
SCSI bus with lights corresponding to the 8 (0-7) id's.  The second
function is that it can mount SCSI hard disks with the mount button
(buttons have drop shadows).

SCSI Tools is free for non-commercial distribution.

It was written by Paul Mercer, pmercer@apple.com.

--
Jim Macak  <lakesys!macak@csd1.milw.wisc.edu>

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/scsi-tools.hqx; 30K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 May 89 19:47:54 MDT
From: Andrew Stone CS.DEPT <stone%hydra.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu>
Subject: Spiro! 1.1

Here is the latest version of Spiro!, a cyberdelics freeware geometry
maker for the MacII (greyscale or color is kind of required). Now supports
multiple screens, zooming, printing, clipboard, and a host of new math
functions. You can overlay the various drawings to create metadrawings...

andrew

||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||<<??>>||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||
!!	   Andrew Stone	            !!        the fictive milieu of	!!
!!         stone@hydra.unm.edu	    <> 	      contemporary society!	!!
||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||<<??>>||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||

[Archived as /info-mac/app/spiro-11; 87K]

------------------------------

Date: 27 Apr 89 04:00:50 GMT
From: sl161022@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
Subject: TappyType CDEV 0.94
This is version 0.94 of TappyType, an "atmospheric" Control Panel
device.  It's freeware, so please try it out and let me know what you
think.  Any suggestions for improvement will be welcome.

Note that TappyType is now compatible with QuicKeys(TM).  The previous
release (V 0.91) was not.

Sincerely,

Colin Klipsch
Indiana University at Bloomington
sl161022@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/tappy-type-094.hqx; 49K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 May 89 08:51 CDT
From: Robert A Lentz <LENTZ@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu>
Subject: TeX Previewer

        TeX Preview will preview TeX on the Macintosh, displaying an
entire page in a window (reduced view of page) along with controls to
Zoom and to flip through the pages or stop after each one.  The total page
cound as well as the current page is displayed.  Printing is also an option.
I hope this fulfills at least partly the needs of those who have asked for
a TeX previewer.
                                                Robert Lentz
                                                lentz@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu
                                                lentz@nuacc

[Archived as /info-mac/app/tex-preview.hqx; 122K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 May 89 13:33 CDT
From: <BMC4841%TAMVENUS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Using NCSA TELNET...

Hi,

If anyone could shed some light on how to use NSCA TELNET v2.1 on a MacII with
a built in ETHERNET card, I'd really appreciate it.
Problem:  Can't connect to any host.  I've tried switching from appletalk to
ethertalk, but that doesn't help.  I've tried configuring the network, but the
Mac keeps bombing.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Bruce Cherniak
BMC4841@TAMVENUS

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  4 May 89 10:53:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Salmento <ziggy+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: What are Word 4.0 features?

Could someone tell me if Word 4.0 supports the following features?
     Automatic numbering of any arbitrary elements. (ie.  Chapters,
sections, sub-sections, tables, figures, equations...)
    Cross referencing of these elements by a user defined template.
(ie. Equation 4.1, Table 3.1, Figure 2 on page 8)
    Citing from a user created bibliography database

In short, I would like to know if word can do most of the things that
Scribe does but on a mac.  Not that I like Scribe, but it does handle
large documents with lots of equations, citations, and cross references
well.

John Salmento
ziggy+@andrew.cmu.edu

End of Info-Mac Digest