Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/09/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon,  8 May 89       Volume 7 : Issue  83

Today's Topics:
                 'TEXT' file resource fork destroyer.
                       Delphi & Usenet digests
                             flex & bison
                    GIF Image compression routines
                       GIF image decompression
                              Helium????
                          HPDJ Driver Manual
                       ImagewriterLQ, problems
                        Info-Mac Digest V7 #80
            Info-Mac Digest V7 #81 (shrinking a selection)
                 Microsoft & Claris start-up screens
                Music composition software for the Mac
                        PMMU & Multifinder ?'s
                             Pocket Forth
                           Replaying sounds
                   Scanning,  Character Recognition
               Simple question about laser printers...
                             TeX Preview
                           Using MacKermit
                       Yet another text joiner

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Fri, 5 May 89 02:21:08 -0400
From: earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton)
Subject: 'TEXT' file resource fork destroyer.

     This Stuffit archive contains the source and executable to an MPW
Tool which destroys the resource fork of 'TEXT' files.

     Depending on what is in the resource fork, this can be either a
very useful tool, or a very dangerous one.  You decide.

Earle R. Horton

[Archived as /info-mac/util/text-resource-fork-destroyer.hqx; 17K]

------------------------------

Date: 7 May 89 00:01:12 PDT (Sunday)
From: JWenn.ESAE@xerox.com
Subject: Delphi & Usenet digests

Has any replacement moderators for the Delphi or Usenet digests been found?
It's been a couple of months, and our site hasn't recieved any.

Thanks

/John

JWenn.esae@Xerox.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 May 89 10:46 CDT
From: <STEVEN%AUDUCVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: flex & bison

Someone has graciously posted the source code for flex and bison in the
archives. Does anyone know of someplace I can get the _executable_ versions
of these utilities? In particular, in the form of plain applications rather
than MPW tools. I have no access to MPW C or Aztec C, which is what the source
provided is written in. Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 May 89 14:43:07 -0900
From: Reed Rector                      <SXWRR%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: GIF Image compression routines

Well, I finally got around to it... This set of 'C' routines will create a GIF
file from image data. It is a SHAR type archive, so if you don't have a UNIX
machine, you will have to de-archive it by hand (pretty straigtforward process).

        -Reed

[Archived as /info-mac/source/c/gif-image-compression.shar; 17K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 May 89 14:42:38 -0900
From: Reed Rector                      <SXWRR%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: GIF image decompression

As promised weeks ago, here is some 'C' source code that will read and
decompress a GIF image file. (This program converts it to a Sun Raster image,
but it is no great problem converting for use in other programs)

        Any problems or questions, just let me know
        -Reed

        SXWRR@ALASKA (Bitnet)
        SXWRR@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (internet)

[Archived as /info-mac/source/c/gif-image-decompression.txt; 16K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 May 89 09:23:49 EDT
From: dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil
Subject: Helium????

>From: Kim Dyer <3C257F7%CMUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
>     I downloaded some sound effects and appear to have a bit of a
>     problem.  All but one appears to have been done in a helium
>     atmosphere ... EXTREMELY high and quick.  Gotta be something
>     I'm doing.  (I got ONE to play properly, but don't recall
>     doing anything different)  Any suggestions?

Grab a copy of the Sound Master CDEV.  It lets you select the speed
at which sounds are played, as well as to set-up different sounds for
startup, shutdown, disk insert, beep, keyclick, etc.

-Dave (dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 06 May 89 00:42:37 EDT
From: Michael Kazlow <KAZLOWF%PACEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HPDJ Driver Manual

In issue #82, Herman Collins asks about the HPDJ manual.

The HPDJ manual has a file type that matches that of WriteNow.  There
is a DA that can translate the file to MacWrite format called WNTranslator.
However, I do not know if it is available in the archives.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 May 1989 23:21:52 PDT
From: Leslie Zatz <zatz@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: ImagewriterLQ, problems

The LQ has serious problems. I have had a two replacements including
the latest one with the factory reworked paper path. The printer produces
inconsistent "scrunched" lines of type which may be in the headers or
the body. Apple appears to be aware of this problem and they have made
a settlement with me but I don't think they are going public with this info.
Suggest people avoid this machine if they want printing quality they
should have for its price. I am disappointed that Apple is not taking
the machine off the market and recalling the ones they have sold but
I see no sign of their doing so thus far.   	BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 May 89 23:13 EDT
From: alanr@media-lab.media.mit.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #80

    Date: Fri, 5 May 89 10:00 CST
    From: AEEVERETT%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu

    We here at UALR have recently acquired LaTeX software from DECUS which
    includes a TeX to PostScript translator.  There is a version of this
    software for the PC, and I would like to see some manageable version
    for the Mac.

    Albert Everett

There is a package called MacTex by FTL systems which runs on the mac.
They are based in Toronto, Canada. Since they can typeset and print tex
>From the mac, they can generate postscript (via command-k trick at
worst). I don't have an address for them, but the product is at least
available through the MIT microcomputer center, and you could call there
for more information.

-alan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 May 89 12:55:33 EDT
From: reg@lti.com (Rick Genter x18)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #81 (shrinking a selection)

Apple may have changed this, but in the 1985 edition of Inside Macintosh,
they talk about how Command-Click (or maybe it was Option-Click -- I don't
think so, but I don't remember) can be used to form discontiguous selections.
Unfortunately, there is virtually no program out there that uses this;
several have overriden it for their own purposes (Word 3.01 uses the funny
Click to select a "sentence").

An extended selection can be shrunk by using Shift-Click if it was created by
Shift-Click.  That means you have to put the insertion point at the beginning,
scroll to the end, do Shift-Click, then scroll back to where you want it to
really end and do Shift-Click again.  Of course, why do the first Shift-Click
at all....

					- reg
--
Rick Genter					...!{buita,bbn}!lti!reg
Language Technology, Inc.			reg%lti.uucp@bu-it.bu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 May 89 09:28:58 EDT
From: williams@cbl.umd.edu (Bill Williams)
Subject: Microsoft & Claris start-up screens

Anybody know how to modify the startu-up screens put up by MS Word, Excel,
and Claris Macdraw?  You know, the ones that you have to "customize" when you
start the program the first time.  I've changed colleges, and it's a bit
embarrassing to have the thing start up every time with the name of my old
employers (with whom I am not well pleased!) displayed in 18-point bold!

Please reply directly to me, and if this is a new question and there is suf-
ficient interest I will summarize to the net.  By the way, is such a change
running afoul of Microsoft's or Claris's licensing agreements?  It doesn't say
anything about these "custom" screens in any of the documentation, but they
must have some reason for hiding them (they're not in plain text in any of the
resources I could find).

				-W2

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 06 May 89 11:01:13 EDT
From: "Christopher M. Condon" <CONDON%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Music composition software for the Mac

A friend of mine is graduating University of Boston with a degree in
music performance and education (or something like that).   He is going
to be buying a Macintosh SE soon, and my friends and I thought that
music-composition software might be an appropriate gift (among others).

Does anyone have any suggestions about what products are good, prices,
features for which we should look, etc...?

Thanks for your help...

              - Chris

----  Christopher Condon                ----
----  The Yale BITNET Services Library  ----
----  CONDON@YALEVM                     ----
----  CONDON@YALEVM.YCC.YALE.EDU        ----

      _
     __-
    __---    The
   __-----   BITNET
  __-------  Services
 ___________ Library                                "Because We're Here."."

------------------------------

Date: Sun,  7 May 89 20:44:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Craig William Schell <cs2f+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: PMMU & Multifinder ?'s

I've been hearing various things about using the PMMU(68851) and an INIT to get
 8 megs of "RAM on your hard disk."  Basically I'm looking for a more cost effective way of getting more RAM than popping 4 megs of SIMS into my MacII.  Multifinder is great but my 2 megs is not enough.

Is this true?  What is the total price?  What is the difference in performance?

Craig W. Schell
Information and Decision Systems Major
Carnegie Mellon University

cs2f@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 May 89 16:28:48 -0500
From: think@emx.utexas.edu (s. moon)
Subject: Pocket Forth

  This is the entire Pocket Forth. I hope it is  transmitted correctly
this time.  Pocket Forth is completely free.

[Archived as /info-mac/lang/pocket-forth.hqx; 161K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 May 89 13:02 EDT
From: Josh Smith <JBS92@campus.swarthmore.edu>
Subject: Replaying sounds

   In order to replay sound files properly, you have to play them at the proper
speed; you may have been replaying them at the wrong velocity.  SoundCap and
the SoundPlay DA, as well as the SoundMaster cDEV, will let you change the
speed at which sounds are replayed; try them at a slower speed and see if that
does the job.

| Reality: Josh Smith                   | "I swear, by my life                |
|Internet: JBS92@CAMPUS.SWARTHMORE.EDU  |  and my love of it,                 |
|  BITNet: JBS92@SWARTHMR.BITNET        |  that I will never live             |
|  USMail: Josh Smith '92               |  for the sake of another man,       |
|          Swarthmore College           |  nor ask another to live for mine." |
|          Swarthmore, PA  19081        |               -John Galt            |

------------------------------

Date: Sun,  7 May 89 16:36:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Nickolaos Sahinidis <ns1b+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Scanning,  Character Recognition

I would like to transform a large amount of printed data into a text
file.

Does anyone have experience with scanners and character recognition
software ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,  Nikos

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 May 89 15:10:36 EDT
From: dmg@mitre.mitre.org
Subject: Simple question about laser printers...

I was asked today how the old QMS Big Kiss laser printer is connected to the
Mac.  I responded off the top of my head with "Localtalk", but not being
familiar with the Big Kiss printer (other then hearing about it), I could not
answer with any certainty.  So does anyone out there have a Big Kiss printer,
and could tell me how it is connected to the Mac?

David Gursky
Member of the Technical Staff, W-143
Special Projects Department
The MITRE Corporation

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 May 89 11:37:58 +0200
From: ole@idt.unit.no
Subject: TeX Preview

I downloaded TeX Preview and have been able to look at the example DVI
file provided. BUT: how can I use it on my own files? I tried using
ResEdit to set file type and creator but with no success.
Is this just a demo for that specific DVI file or what ??

(Some months ago I tried an (older?) version of this with no sucess,
and when trying to reach the people at SARA I got no response)

Ole Solberg
Div. of Computer Science and Telematics
Norwegian Institute of Technology
Trondheim, Norway

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 May 89 09:43 EST
From: "Thomas R. Blake" <TBLAKE@bingvaxb.cc.binghamton.edu>
Subject: Using MacKermit

>  I have had exactly that problem and found a detour and another problem in
>the process.  The detour is to start up Kermit on your Mac. This is
>important since this works only once (!).  Make your connection/whatever
>but before starting a transfer pull down the file settings box and make
>BINARY and DATA fork the defaults.  Start the transfer and if the other end
>is set up to send binary it should work. BUT, the first time only. If you
>want another file start over from the top (restart Mac Kermit). (I also
>always use even parity, but I have to since I'm talking to an IBM mainframe
>for most of these transfers).

Arggh....

    No No No!

    Under "Settings" choose "File Defaults".

    Click  "Attended: dialog on each file received".

    Now, when you download a file, you'll get a dialog which will allow you to
specify Text/Binary  Data/Resource  And where to save the file under what name.
If you are downloading a batch of files, use a wildcard for your SEND command,
and then at the dialog box, click "Proceed Automatically".  (All files will be
downloaded in the specified manner).

						Thomas R. Blake
						Lead Programmer/Analyst
						Academic Computing Services
						SUNY Binghamton

------------------------------

Date: 8-MAY-1989 14:07:52.42
From: BPARSIA@eagle.wesleyan.edu
Subject: Yet another text joiner

While zipping through the info-mac archives, I stumbled on yet a third way
to join hqx files.  In the hypercard dir. there is a file called
 "Merge-hqx-Files.hqx".  The posting states that it is imperfect, but it
might be of interest to the hyper-hackers out there.

End of Info-Mac Digest