Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/18/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 17 May 89       Volume 7 : Issue  90

Today's Topics:
                  Batch Changing of TYPE and CREATOR
                  Capturing and printing PostScript
                            diff utility?
                 Ethernet with Gatorbox and fastpath
                    Follow up on Postscript(r)...
                          Hypercard anatomy
                       HyperCard Double Clicks
                        Info-Mac Digest V7 #87
                   Info-Mac Digest V7 #89 (4 msgs)
                       MacMETH and ETH Modula-2
                              Mac Moria
                            MacServe Xedit
              Portable Common Loops in Coral Common Lisp
                       PostScript(R) files....
                               printers
    Problem with running terminal emulators under Multifinder when
                             Three Wishes
                           Trouble with SUM

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Tue, 16 May 89 21:33:46 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Batch Changing of TYPE and CREATOR

>2) If INIT writing isn't your thing, could anyone cook up an application that
>could change en masse creators, for instance, find all files of type TEXT and
>make the creator nX^n (WriteNow) or MWII (MacWrite II), for instance?

I think the DA "FileMaster" (posted recently) can do that.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 May 89 21:30:02 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Capturing and printing PostScript

>1 -- How does one create a Postscript(R) file from the Print dialog box.  I
>     recall this is possible, but I don't remember the procedure.
>
>2 -- Is there a Public Domain or Shareware utility to download Postscript(R)
>     files to a Laserwriter?

1. Hold down K or Command-K right after clicking on OK in the Print dialog
   box.  Hold until you see the dialog "Creating PostScript File".
   Use F or Command-F if you want to include the LaserPrep file.

2. Yes.  Adobe's "SendPS" and "DistillPS" programs and the DA "PS Printer".

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 May 89 16:34:05 PDT
From: mse%b2red.caltech.edu@deimos.caltech.edu (Martin Ewing)
Subject: diff utility?

Does anyone know of a diff utility for the Mac?  This would be a program
that can tell if two files are the same, and, if not, will give you
list of hex or ascii differences.

This is something that belongs on every desk top, or so I think.

Martin Ewing
mse@deimos.caltech.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 May 89 17:03:27 EDT
From: Geoffrey SCott <21530GRS%MSU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Ethernet with Gatorbox and fastpath

I am interested in connecting a network with 40+ Macs using Farallon's
Star Controller to ethernet running TCP/IP.  If anyone out there has
used or is using Kinetics Fast Path or Gatorbox I would like to know
how those products perform in large network environments.  Also if
anyone has alternate suggestions to connecting to Ethernet through
appletalk I would like to know what they are.  Please forward any

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ Geoffrey Scott                +
+ Michigan State University     +
+ Bitnet: 21530GRS @ MSU        +
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Acknowledge-To: <21530GRS@MSU>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 May 89 16:39:50 EDT
From: dmg@mitre.mitre.org
Subject: Follow up on Postscript(r)...

Thank you to everyone who responded to my request for information about
creating Postscript(R) files.  For anyone that is interested, this is how you
go about it:

1  Prior to creating the Postscript(R) dump, make sure Background Printing is
   turned off.  This step is necessary iff you are using Multifinder.

2  Open the document up as you would normally, and bring up the Print dialog
   box.

3  Click on the "OK" button, and immediately press and hold the Command-F
   key, until a box appears "Creating Postscript(R) file".  Command-F will
   case a file to be created in the directory that the printing *application*
   resides in.  Alternately, you can use Command-K, which will also include
   the necessary initialization commands, if the the computer that will
   eventually be used to send the Postscript file to the printer does not have
   LaserPrep on it.

The Postscript(R) dump can be printed using three utilities:  SendPS, a free
application from Adobe, archived on /info-mac/util/sendps-121.hqx; PS Printer,
a free desk accessory; or Hyper PS, a Hypercard stack for sending Postscript
files to a Postscript printer.

David Gursky
Member of the Technical Staff, W-143
Special Projects Department
The MITRE Corporation

------------------------------

Date: 17-MAY-1989 08:23:11 GMT
From: AEIC0456%VAX1.CENTRE.QUEENS-BELFAST.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Hypercard anatomy

I am assisting a member of the Orthopaedic Surgery Department here
set up a Hypercard stack to enable easy coding of orthopaedic related
complaints and operations. The top level cards must contain reasonable
anatomical diagrams - we could draw these but it would take some time.
Last October's Mac User (UK) had an article about CD-ROM which mentioned
Apple's Learning Disc which they gave away to everyone who attended a
CD-ROM conference in Seattle. The article says that on this sampler there
is a stack created by 2 doctors at the Stanford University of Medicine
which looks as though it contains a lot of the diagrams we're after.
Does anyone have more details of this stack, know how to contact the
authors, or perhaps know of another possible source of such diagrams.
Any response would be greatly appreciated.

George Munroe, Queen's University Belfast

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 May 89 17:32 N
From: <ZWENNES_%HLSDNL5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HyperCard Double Clicks

Does anyone have a XCMD to detect double clicks on buttons in HyperCard.
I wrote a script in HyperTalk, but that wasn't reliable enough. By the way,
who knows more about new HyperCard-versions with colour and large screens?
Has anyone any experience with the HyperCard-clone called 'PLUS'?

Alexander Zwennes

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 May 89 00:55:55 CDT
From: decwrl!ucbvax!trout.nosc.mil!pnet01!pro-harvest!pauls@labrea.stanford.edu (Paul Snively)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #87

Network Comment: to #46 by Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU

I wouldn't worry too much about the fact that Connectix' "Virtual" has
problems with Allegro CL; Allegro plays a lot of WEIRD games with the Mac
memory mangler (sic) in order to even work.  Hopefully someday Apple will be
more directly supportive of memory management systems that don't work the way
that the Mac's does (and now that Apple owns Coral they have more of an
interest in ensuring that).

By the way, I'm interested in talking to other Macintosh Lisp hackers, be you
Pearl Lisp, Allegro CL, or MacScheme+Toolsmith users.  Look for a Lisp article
by me in MacTutor around July or so.

Paul Snively

 ProLine: pauls@pro-harvest               | pro-harvest +1 312 253 8239
   UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!pauls          | 24 hour operation
   ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!pauls@nosc.mil | 300/1200/2400 bps
InterNet: pauls@pro-harvest.cts.com       | Online since 1 April 1989

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 May 89 20:47 EDT
From: The key to mental stability is a one to one relationship with your sports
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #89

RE: creating PostScript files from print dialog box.

        To create PS files from the print dialog box Mac-User said to use
command F   Don't do it. It doesn't work.  Jusr hold down the F key and press
Return.  That should do it.  I guess the F is short for File but it would
have made much more sense if Apple made the key P for PostScript.

                        have fun,
                                Alex Zavatone
                                Academic Computer Services
                                Southeastern Mass. U.

                                ACSAZ@SEMASSU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 May 89 21:17 EDT
From: The key to mental stability is a one to one relationship with your sports

RE: Suitcase crashes

        You mentioned that you were using suitcase with Macsbug.  I have had
trouble with Macsbug before, including crashes afret system updates and
failure to boot.  Maybe Macsbug is part of your problem?

                        Alex Z
                                (you know who I am buy now)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 May 89 21:10 EDT
From: The key to mental stability is a one to one relationship with your sports

RE: PostScript downloader.

        David, Two ways to download PS progs (including files produced from
a print dialog box) are probably right on your Mac already.  If you have
Cricket draw the open box has an option to open a Postscript file.  Once
opened Cricket Draw works much like a word processor for Postscript with
a nice feature called PostScript help as well.
        The other method is resident within Microsoft Word 3.0 and above.
just open the file as text or by holding down shift and selecting open
>From the menu.  Select the whole document (command-option-m or command and
click in the left margin) then hold down shift and select styles from the
format menu.  This should show you all the resident format styles in Word.
One of these is a postscript format that converts all your text to BOLD
HIDDEN 10point New York.  Word recognises any text in the PostScript style
and downloads it to your laser.  So if you're a real PS hacker you can dump
(oops) graphic in PS form and include it in your papers just by putting the
PS text in the `PostScript' style from Word.
        While I'm at it, you can add any style (like PostScript and Normal)
to your own Work menu in Word by doing a command-option + and clicking on the
desired style.  Have fun with the PostScript, send mail if you hit any probs.
It's Miller time for this boy.

                        Have fun,
                                Alex Z
                                SMU (soon to be UMass Dartmouth but don't
                                     hold your breath)
                                Academic Computer Services
                                ACSAZ@SEMASSU     etc... . . . .  .

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 May 89 19:11:31 EDT
From: Alecia Ballance <34L4PCN%CMUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

     Hello out there in Mac land.  I have a few problems, and was
wondering if I could get some help.

     1.  We appear to be having a problem with MacPaint 2.0 (Claris) on our
fileserver.  Everything appeared alright until a few days ago.  The problem
appears when editing a MacPaint file that is saved on the fileserver.  After
making changes to a file it will not let you save the file, it says that the
file is locked.  However, the file is not locked (at least not in the info
box).  The system will not allow the file to be trashed or copied to another
disk.  These problems only appear with files which have been opened by MacPaint
since the problems began.  No problems appear when then files are on a floppy
and the MacPaint on the fileserver is used.  When the user shuts down and
reboots, everything is ok until they use the MacPaint and fileserver files.
We have installed a new MacPaint and reformatted and resetup the fileserver.
Also, the problems only appear on remote terminals, if you work at the
actual fileserver mac everything is ok.  We are out of ideas.  I think we
have tried everything.  Any information would be appreciated.
  In case it helps - we are running system 6.0 and finder 6.1 on a Macintosh
Plus.  Also, AppleShare 2.0.1 and workstations running same versions of the
system and finder.  And this is the only application which seems to be acting
up.  Vaccine is running on the fileserver and Virus Detective didn't find
anything when it was run.

     2.  I also have a question about MacWrite version 4.5.  When I checked
the size of a MacWrite v 4.5 today I had one which was 101K and one which was
102K.  I was able to find another one which was 101K.  Upon checking the
original, I found it was only 69K.  Anybody have any ideas about this one?
I checked, and no virus was found.

Thanks in advance-
Alecia Ballance
Student Programmer - Central Michigan University
34L4PCN @ CMUVM
Acknowledge-To: <34L4PCN@CMUVM>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 May 89 12:43 EST
From: EPP@cs.umass.edu
Subject: MacMETH and ETH Modula-2

How can I get my hands on MacMETH-Modula-2, Alex, and CoCo?

Is there a newer version of ETH Modula-2 than the one that appears
in the achieves?

ed c.
epp@cs.umass.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 May 89 23:23 CDT
From: <SRS9925%TNTECH.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac Moria

        Is anyone out there aware of a version of moria for the Macintosh?
Please respond directly to me and I will summarize for the net.

        Thanks in Advance,
                Stephen Shaw
                SRS9925@TnTech

------------------------------

Date: 16 May 89, 16:44:32 CST
From: Robert J.Brenstein <GA0095@siucvmb.bitnet>
Subject: MacServe Xedit

Here is something for VM/CMS users who frequently request files from the
MacServe at PUCC archives.  The MACSERVE XEDIT is a macro file which makes
it a zap to do this.  It is written for the new format of MacServe archive.

The MACSERVE macro works on full-screen as well as line-oriented terminals.
On a full-screen it is assigned to a PF key (PF10 in the enclosed files).
While editing the RECENT or ALL catalog, press this PF key after placing
the cursor in the line with the file you want to get.  The macro will send
the GET command to MACSERVE at PUCC for that file.  On a line-oriented
terminal, locate a line with the desired file name and enter the MACSERVE
command (no operands) to achieve the same effect as described above.

This submission includes two files: MACSERVE XEDIT and PROFILE XEDIT. The
latter one is included to illustrate how PROFILE XEDIT could be like (for
those unfamiliar with this beast) and to show how to assign PF10 to be
the MACSERVE macro for the MacServe catalogs only.  It assumes that the
catalogs are filed as MACSERVE ALL and MACSERVE RECENT, respectively.

Please, notify me (GA0095@SIUCVMB.Bitnet) if you encounter any problems.

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/vm-macro-macserve-xedit.txt; 12K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 May 89 12:48:36 WET DST
From: Flash Sheridan <flash%cs.qmc.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: Portable Common Loops in Coral Common Lisp

(First, terminology.  "Allegro" is wrong, but official.  It's properly
called "Coral Common Lisp".  There *is* an Allegro Common Lisp; it runs on
UNIX machines, and has nothing to do with CCL.  This is getting to be a
serious hassle; I've gotten requests from Germany for Allegro by mentioning
Coral in comp.lang.lisp.  Flame off.)

PCL works in CCL in 2 Meg.  I haven't used it seriously, but nothing I could
do would be as serious a test as loading PCL, as it's written in itself.
It's roughly free, seems fast on the Mac, and is wonderful.  CCL's own object
system looks pretty good too, but with PCL being pretty close to CLOS (the
Common Lisp Object Specification/System), think of it as obsolete.  Coral
said so before Apple bought them; any comments now?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 May 89 12:39:33 BST
From: Brian Candler <BTC10%phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: PostScript(R) files....

To create a PostScript file on your hard disk, select the Laserwriter from
the chooser (even if there isn't one connected!) - you'll have to make it
think that Appletalk is connected, so switch off your imagewriter if you
have one connected to the printer port.

Choose "Print..." from the File menu, click OK and immediately press and
hold down the F key until you see the message "Creating PostScript(R) File".
It will be created in the same folder as the application you are using,
with the name PostScript0 (or 1,2,etc as required).

If you want the Apple dictionary appended to the top of the PostScript
file (ie the "Laser Prep"), substitute clover-K for F in the above sequence.
You'll then have a text file which you should be able to send to any
PostScript printer.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 May 89 10:18:06 +0200
From: Pottie Karl <FHGAPHS%BLEKUL11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: printers

Are there any people who use a non-Apple printer on their macintosh ?
I would like to hear about their experience with those printers:
problems, specifications, what interface i need, do they work
with all programs, do they support all mac-functions....
In short: all information is welcome.
I am especially interested in 24 pin printers like Nec P2200,
Epson LQ....

            thanks,
Karl Pottie

------------------------------

Date: Wed 17 May 89 15:53:59-PDT
From: Kevin Adams <ADAMS@intellicorp.com>
Subject: Problem with running terminal emulators under Multifinder when

We are having a problem with users who run several applications, one of them
being a terminal emulator connected to a VAX/VMS host.

The problem occurs while a user has a connection (we use RS232, no LAN
connections) and they switch to any other application. If the VAX host wants to
use RMS to post something to the terminal, the process on the VAX goes into a
loop chewing up all available CPU time and performing numerous buffer I/Os.
When the user switches back to the terminal emulator, they usually get a message
saying something to the effect of an RMS timeout occurred and the VMS prompt
is displayed.

We tried contacting people at Apple, Versaterm and DEC, but nobody seems to
understand what is happening here.  I suspect it's related to the flow control
used in the MAC's RS232 driver and the Versaterm software.

I have witnessed this problem at my former employer's site too.  Has anyone else
seen this problem?  Does anyone know a cure!?

Please send all responses to me and I will post a summary.

Regards,

Kevin Adams				INTERNET: adams@intellicorp.com
Intellicorp
1975 El Camino Real West
Mountainview, CA 94040
(415)965-5517
-------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 May 89 10:24 CST
From: <MPARK%UTMEM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Three Wishes

Regarding the second of the three wishes:

>2) If INIT writing isn't your thing, could anyone cook up an application that
>could change en masse creators, for instance, find all files of type TEXT and
>make the creator nX~n (WriteNow) or MWII (MacWrite II), for instance?

try loneranger, which is in the archives as a utility.

-Mel Park
 University of Tennessee, Memphis

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 May 89 01:08 EDT
From: Josh Smith <JBS92@campus.swarthmore.edu>
Subject: Trouble with SUM

   I've recently gotten around to trying to install SUM on my Jasmine 100 meg
Direct Drive, and have been unable to create the volume parameters files for my
custom partitions; when I try, it gives me an ID=02 system error shortly after
I tell it that my drive is a SCSI device (with the option key pressed, as per
the manual's instructions).  I'm running an unmodified SE with two internal
floppies--no other drives to muck around with--and I have seven partitions used
out of 20 available, taking up 84 megs out of 101 available...  Anyone seen or
heard of this problem before, or have any ideas about what's wrong or how to
fix it?

| Reality: Josh Smith                   | "I swear, by my life                |
|Internet: JBS92@CAMPUS.SWARTHMORE.EDU  |  and my love of it,                 |
|  BITNet: JBS92@SWARTHMR.BITNET        |  that I will never live             |
|  USMail: Josh Smith '92               |  for the sake of another man,       |
|          Swarthmore College           |  nor ask another to live for mine." |
|          Swarthmore, PA  19081        |               -John Galt            |

End of Info-Mac Digest