Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/23/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 22 May 89       Volume 7 : Issue  93

Today's Topics:
                            800K MFS disk
                        Backdrop and the SE/30
                       Backdrop problem: Update
                          Butterworth filter
                    CD-Player and CD+G (graphics)
                             Clock format
                          hypercard problem
                           New Mirror Site
                           Noise reduction
                   RoseAnn Barr sounds--part 1 of 3
                           SetClock2.sithqx
                  Software to examine ROM addresses?
                      Some Programming Questions
                          WriteNow 2.0 bugs?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: 22 May 89 15:20:00 MST
From: "2614 Rieb, Declan A." <darieb@sandia.gov>
Subject: 800K MFS disk

Is there a way to initialize an 800K floppy so that it does not use HFS?
I know how to force a 400K to have HFS (command-erase).
Thanks.

Declan A. Rieb           	INTERnet:DARieb@Sandia.GOV
Org 2614 (Computer Consulting)	      	 DARieb@Sandia-2.ARPA
Sandia National Laboratories	         dxxr@LANL.GOV
Albuquerque, NM   87185-5800    Bell:	(505) 844-6338

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 May 89 10:29 EDT
From: Josh Smith <JBS92@campus.swarthmore.edu>
Subject: Backdrop and the SE/30

   I was using Backdrop INIT (version 1.1, I think; not sure) with my standard
two-floppy + external HD, 1 1 meg  without any difficulties, but when I
recently switched over to an SE/30, it has started behaving strangely.  The
backdrop I was using was a star centered on a chaotic black and white field;
when I started up, everything looked fine.  However, whenever the Finder redrew
the desktop (after I had closed a window, say), it did so with the star about
three inches to the left, wrapped around the screen!  Why's my backdrop moving
around? :~)

   The SE/30, incidentally, is also a standard 1 internal FDHD + external HD, 1
meg jobber.  Also, though I did switch over to System 6.0.3, the backdrop was
wandering while I still had 6.0.2 running...
                                                        -Josh

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|
    Reality: Josh Smith                 | "I swear, by my life                |
|Internet: JBS92@CAMPUS.SWARTHMORE.EDU  |  and my love of it,                 |
|  BITNet: JBS92@SWARTHMR.BITNET        |  that I will never live             |
|  USMail: Josh Smith '92               |  for the sake of another man,       |
|          Swarthmore College           |  nor ask another to live for mine." |
|          Swarthmore, PA  19081        |               -John Galt            |

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 May 89 14:38 EDT
From: Josh Smith <JBS92@campus.swarthmore.edu>
Subject: Backdrop problem: Update

   Additionally, it only does this sort of thing under Finder--when I close a
MacWrite document, the desktop stays exactly as it should have been.  I'm only
running Finder (not Multi-), by the way (not enough memory).
                                                                -Josh

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 May 89 15:43:45 EDT
From: Eric Keller <FONETIKS%UQAM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Butterworth filter

Info-Mac-Request@Sumex-aim.stanford.edu

I wonder if anyone could direct me to a fast implementation
of a 1st, 2nd and 3rd order Butterworth filter for
application to successive samples of a digital signal.

Thanks, Eric Keller.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 22 May 1989 08:36 CDT
From: <MSER001%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: CD-Player and CD+G (graphics)

I just got a new Alphaville cd "The Breathtaking Blue" (music), and noticed
that it had on it: CD+G or +Graphics.  It stated that "This compatct disc
contains full CD sound, plus Graphics.  The graphics on this disc can be
displayed only after a CD Graphics Adapter or a new CD Graphics Player is
connected toyour audio system.   Graphics from the disc may then be displayed
on any TV set or monitor."

I have an Apple cd player, and it will not see the files? or area where the
graphics are.  Would this require a different cd-player to see the graphics?
Does anyone know if the graphics are just pictures?  If they are just pictures,
does this require a new Driver to access the graphics?  Where in the world
do they keep the directory for finding the graphics?

All I see are the music tracks in the Macintosh directory.  Anyone have any
information on this?

Scott Hutinger

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 May 89 22:14:07 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: Clock format

> I have a wierd problem with the clock on my macII. It has decided that
> it always wants to have the hours be two digits, even when in 12 hour
> mode. So the time gets displayed as 01:34 PM, instead of 1:34 PM. Does
> anybody know why this happens, and how to fix it. I'm guessing that it
> is some mode set in the clock chip.

The clock-display style is part of the so-called "international"
information. The Mac System permits you to adapt your date and time
display-formats to suit local convention.  Leading zeros on the hour,
minute, and second are one of the many things that can be adjusted.

The information is encoded in the INTL 0 and INTL 1 resources in your
System file.  You can adjust it with a little CDEV called "Simon",
which I believe was posted to Info-Mac some time ago.

You can also use ResEdit to change the settings.  The version I'm using
(1.2) has a very nice pair of editing windows for INTL 0 and INTL 1.

There's a lot of other interesting stuff buried in those resources...
check 'em out!  Formal description lies on pages 495-513 of volume I
of Inside Macintosh.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 May 89 13:43 EDT
From: <UN107065%WVNVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: hypercard problem

I created a stack using HyperCard version 1.2.1.
When I tried to use it today it gave me the message:

             "New file format requires
              new version of HyperCard"

I had created the stack using ver. 1.2.1 only.
Has anyone encountered the same message?

I was working on this stack for two weeks and have made several
backups, but the backups give me the same dialog box message
shown above.

Any solutions?

Thanks,

Neil Hazari
UN107065@wvnvms.wvnet.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 May 89 17:56:49 CDT
From: Chris Myers <chris@wugate.wustl.edu>
Subject: New Mirror Site

wuarchive.wustl.edu [128.252.135.4] mirrors the info-mac archives every night
at 5:00 AM CST.  This is an official service of the Washington University
Office of the Network Coordinator and is currently available to the public via
anonymous FTP.

Sometime this summer we hope to add a mail-based archive server so that
people without access to the Internet (or BITNET) can retrieve files from our
archives.

The info-mac archives are in the directory /systems/mac/info-mac.  There is
a file named "arrangement" in the top-level directory of the archive that
describes the structure of the archives.

A complete list of all files contained in the archives can be obtained
by copying either "ls-lR" or "files.lst".  Both listings are made every night
at about 10:00 PM CST.  The first is made using the UNIX ls -lR command,
and the second is made using the UNIX find -ls command.

Chris Myers
Software Engineer

Date: 89-05-20 11:23:58 MEZ
From: TU80070%DHHUNI4.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Noise reduction

The introduction of the newer Mac II series brought a lot
of new facilities and speed, but also an awful fan noise.
The newest child of the Mac II family seems to be cured of
this problem, but what could be done with the older ones ?

Concentrated work is sometimes impossible, when the fan's
whistle is tearing you out of your deep thoughts.
For this fan is designed to cool machines full of interface
cards on a hot summer day with uninterrupted work and all
of this is (normally) not true, I thought about a
fan's speed reduction to get my peace.
Does anyone know, how this could be done and how it would
affect the working security of my Mac II ?

K. Schnathmeier
TU Hamburg-Harburg
W. Germany
<TU80070@DHHUNI4.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 May 89 16:25:12 CST
From: Steve Middlebrook <C94882SM%WUVMD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: RoseAnn Barr sounds--part 1 of 3

The Networks may have killed her, but she can live on in your Macintosh!

Attached is a Binhexed version of a Stuffit archive containing six
digitized sounds from RoseAnn Barr's TV show.  Included are RoseAnn
saying "Whose lame-brained idea is this, anyway?" and "You've obviously
mistaken me for someone who cares." and her TV hubbie saying "Nobody can
warm up my big ol' butt like you, babycakes!"

The archive is huge, but worth it if you are a fan of Ms Barr. Sent in
three parts.

Steve Middlebrook
Washington University

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/roseann-barr-various-part1.hqx; 150K
             /info-mac/sound/roseann-barr-various-part2.hqx; 150K
             /info-mac/sound/roseann-barr-various-part3.hqx; 150K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 May 89 00:06:08 +0200
From: Roland Mansson <roland@dna.lth.se>
Subject: SetClock2.sithqx

SetClock 2.0

Set Clock will connect you to a master clock driver that
automatically synchronizes itself, to within 1 millisecond
and set you Mac clock to within one second by making a 10
second phone call to (416) 445-9408 in Toronto or
(804) 424-5631 in Chesapeake, VA.

FreeWare by Jim Leitch.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/setclock-20.hqx; 20K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 May 89 09:31 EDT
From: Matthew Wall <WALL%brandeis.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Software to examine ROM addresses?

Howdy...we have a user who's interested in obtaining a shareware or pd
application to examine ROM addresses on a Mac Plus. I'm aware of some
products which do this, but is there anything in the archive?

Matt Wall
Research and Academic Computing
Brandeis University
Waltham, MA 02254
WALL@BRANDEIS.bitnet
WALL%BRANDEIS.bitnet@eddie.mit.edu
(or in a pinch, matt%cs.brandeis.edu@relay.cs.net)

Disclaimer: Do not tell proverbs in Winter, or the toads will come.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 May 89 10:25:54 CST
From: Michael Hanrahan <C09615MH%WUVMD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Some Programming Questions

Hi,
    I'm somewhat of a beginner at programming the Mac and have
a few of questions regarding printing from within an application.

   1) Inside Macintosh describes the printing grafport and says that
      your application should simply draw in this port just as it
      did in the grafPort to display stuff on the screen.  The current
      printer driver file takes care of converting those Quickdraw
      calls into the appropriate form for the printer.  That makes
      sense if I'm drawing circles in the application window, but
      is there a quick way to tell the Print Manager to print text
      stored in a TextEdit record?  My application uses TextEdit to
      display & scroll stuff on the screen and doesn't draw "directly"
      to the grafport (ala DrawString('This is some text')).  Note: I
      am aware of the text streaming procedure PrCtlCall but I don't
      want to make things THAT direct...

   2) If there ISN'T a quick way to print text in a TE record, if I
      use something like DrawString, will the Print Manager generate
      the PostScript code for a LaserWriter, or will it send a bit
      map of the resulting page to the LaserWriter.  (Not that this
      doesn't really matter, I'm just curious...)

   3) Inside Mac also suggests swapping out the main program segment
      during printing and reloading it after completion of the printing.
      Is this truly necessary if your application isn't going to
      print reams of paper.  Mine will generate at most 2 pages.

   4) Finally, I want to create a document with my application's
      special "data file" icon.  I've created the icon resource and
      have specified all the required bundle information yet data
      files still show up in the Finder with the generic document icon.
      The creator is set properly so that double clicking on the
      document launches the application and the resource fork of the
      compiled application does contain the "data document" icon I
      want.  I just can't figure out how to tell the file manager to
      add that icon resource to a file that I create within the
      application.

Hints or suggestions?  Thanks...

Michael Hanrahan
Educational Computing Services
Washington University
St. Louis, MO 63130

------------------------------

Date: 22 May 89 18:48 EDT
From: science@nems.arpa (Mark Zimmermann)
Subject: WriteNow 2.0 bugs?

I have been experiencing some crashes (mostly lock-ups) with WriteNow 2.0,
and wondered if others have found the same things.  Bombs have occurred
when editing largish (a few hundred kB) files converted from text into
the WriteNow internal format, and with smaller files when doing a largish
amount of editing (select all the document and change fonts, add tabs to
rulers, etc., on a 10kB letter).  I'm running a Mac Plus with 2.5 MB and
System 6.0.2 with MacsBug and SuperClock 3.0 under MultiFinder, with
WriteNow 2.0 in its default (400kB) partition.  Is there anything obvious
that I'm doing wrong?  I just bought the program a few weeks ago, and
like it a lot except for these crashes, which happen every few hours of
use....  Tnx for advice ... ^z  (science@nems.arpa)
-------

End of Info-Mac Digest