Date: Tue, 23 May 89  12:34:15 EDT
From: Damian%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: 2 Questions

  Could someone please tell me how to disable the Cover page that the
  Laserprinter IInt prints out each time you turn it on?

  I am also interested in anyone's experience with CAD/CAM programs for
  the Mac.  I am looking for something fairly cheap with most of the power
  of AutoCAD (PC...yeahgnh!) but with the better Mac interface.

  Thanks,
  Damian Roskill
  Damian@ucc.umass.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 May 89 23:37:16 +0200
From: Roland Mansson <roland@dna.lth.se>
Subject: Fortune II cdev

!Fortune II cdev

Displays one of 3683 fortunes at startup. Online help
is provided.

FreeWare by Arthur Britto II.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/fortune-part1.hqx; 168K
             /info-mac/cdev/fortune-part2.hqx; 169K
             /info-mac/cdev/fortune-part3.hqx; 140K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 May 89 08:28:59 PDT
From: PUGH@ccc.mfecc.llnl.gov
Subject: Leading Clock Zeros

Dave Platt came up with a possible solution to the leading zero on the clock
problem which has occasionally plagued mine and other's Mac IIs.

Well, nice try Dave...

I'm sitting here staring at the obnoxiously persistent leading zero on my
clock as displayed by both Hypercard and SuperClock.  It is now resisting even
a reboot, which always cleared it up before. On your suggestion, I checked
into the INTL resource, but sure enough, the leading zero flag is turned off.

So there is something else going on...

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 May 89 08:43:37 PDT
From: PUGH@ccc.mfecc.llnl.gov
Subject: New Version of Hypercard Problem

I also received the Hypercard message:

             "New file format requires
              new version of HyperCard"

on one of my old stacks when I upgraded to Hypercard 1.2.2. I solved the
problem by getting a backup that worked, so I have no clue as to the reason
or cure for this message, but it has happened to others.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 May 89 11:55:36 bst
From: Ralph Martin <ralph%computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: Password Utility V1.2

Here is Version 1.2 of Password, a utility to prevent people from booting
up your hard disk without first supplying a password.
Changes from earlier versions: The password is now blanked out to stop
people from reading it over your shoulder.
This is shareware, but upgrading is free for people who have already paid the
shareware fee.

(With acknowledgements to Brian Bechtel of Apple for filterproc idea).

[Archived as /info-mac/util/password-12.hqx; 11K]

------------------------------

Date: 89-05-23 08:16:07 MEZ
From: TU80070%DHHUNI4.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Ram-cache Problems

Recently I could upgrade my Mac II to 5 MByte and I thought it to
be a good idea, using a big ram-cache of 512 KByte. All worked
fine and really the drive was speed up until some strange
difficulties came up last week.  I wanted to change a dialogue
string in an application using FEdit and whatever I did, the
dialogue refused to change.
What happend was, that the old version was kept in the cache and
lauching the application ment, lauching this old version.
This part of the problem seems quite funny, but yesterday I
had serious difficulties.  I copied some files and, being
succesfully copied on the hard disk, I deleted the originals.
Then I ran an application that caused a complete crash, so
that the RESET-button had to be pressed.
The Mac's restart brought a big surprise:
Not only that the original files were away, the copies had also
dissapeared.
The only safe solution seems not to use such a big cache, or does
anyone out there know something better ?

Klaus Schnathmeier       Technische Universitaet Hamburg-Harburg
<TU80070@DHHUNI4.BITNET>            W.Germany

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 May 1989 8:35:54 EDT
From: LYONS@scri1.scri.fsu.edu   (Jim Lyons)
Subject: Spelling checker for Textures?

Is there a spelling checker DA available which will work within Textures?
Texture's source files are just ASCII text. Ideally the spelling checker
would ignore words beginning with / and text between $'s, and would allow
customization of the dictionary, word correction in place, etc.
_____________________
Jim Lyons            \  Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
904/644-4274          \  Florida State University
lyons@gw.scri.fsu.edu  \  Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 May 89 22:54:48 PDT
From: Jon Newman <newman@portia.stanford.edu>
Subject: SuperClock 3.3 bug?

I think I have found a bug in SuperClock 3.3.  When I clear the check box
for the new "chime" item, my Mac crashes.  I am running an SE with System 6.0.2,
SingleFinder, and all kinds of suspicious INITs and CDEVs, so this may not
apply to everybody.

Jon Newman

_   /|
  \`o_O'  ACKPHT!
    ( )
    /U\
O  /|||\  O
U='_M M_`=U

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 May 89 14:13 CDT
From: Fred Schulz <CHEE77@uhvax1.uh.edu>
Subject: tektronics 420x emulator?

Is there a tek 4205 or 4207 emulator available for the mac. I hate the idea
of shelling out enough money to buy a IIx for a terminal...

Thanks
-Fred

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 May 89  8:49 MET
From: "Willem van der Scheun, SARA, Afd. Netwerken" <SCHEUN%HASARA5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Using Apple LaserWriter with MS-DOS?

We have some AppleTalk networks connected to an Ethernet backbone. On that
Ethernet backbone we also have several MS-DOS systems. Does anyone know
about possibilities for using the Apple LaserWriter from these MS-DOS systems?

Willem van der Scheun
SARA
Amsterdam

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 May 89 18:34 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@sdr.slb.com>
Subject: VirusDetective 3.0

VirusDetective is a DA for tracking down viruses (or any resources) in files.
You specify the resource type and various attributes.  Once the offending
resource is found it can optionally be removed from the file (use this
feature with caution) or file deleted.  The user can update the search list
at any time.  Shareware.

Version 3.0 adds ability to read/write search list from/to a file;
revamped help system (can even copy help to clipboard); multiple search
criteria per string; file modification dates always reported/logged and
still more!

Unpack with StuffIt after downloading.

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/virus-detective-30.hqx; 70K]

End of Info-Mac Digest