Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/25/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 24 May 89       Volume 7 : Issue  95

Today's Topics:
                        7.0: No aliased Fonts
                        800K MFS disk (2 msgs)
                            800K MFS disks
               DIGLIB -> PICT Converter?  TIFF format?
                      disabling LW startupe page
         Dynamic Resources while sitting on Quantum 80 (arg)
                    Environment Control Software??
                 Ethernet with Gatorbox and fastpath
                     Experiences with Novell 2.15
                           Hypercard & more
                          Init Icon Display
              Looking for Geological materials for MACs
                            Madonna sound
                     sound/musicworks-jukebox.hqx
                         sound/soundplay.hqx
                               TextEdit
                               Virtual

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Wed, 24 May 1989 15:49-EDT
From: Ralph.Hyre@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: 7.0: No aliased Fonts

>From: William Lipa <lipa@polya.stanford.edu>
>* The chapter on Outline Fonts doesn't mention anti-aliasing or
>multiple-bit depth devices -- maybe next time.

Some kind of plane group usage needs to be worked out, I suspect.
Nobody has a card that lets you do 32-bit color that I'm aware of
24-bit color + 8 bits of extra stuff.  (maybe as 4 monocrhome planes
for independent fuzzy fonts in each window.)

I imagine that more people will start clamoring for this once
more people play with 32-bit quickdraw and figure out the neat
things you can do with it.

Hopefully System 7.0 will be modular enough that different font
technology can be mixed in.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 May 89 20:25:08 EDT
From: ckd%bu-pub.BU.EDU@bu-it.bu.edu
Subject: 800K MFS disk

>  Date: 22 May 89 15:20:00 MST
>  From: "2614 Rieb, Declan A." <darieb@sandia.gov>
>  Is there a way to initialize an 800K floppy so that it does not use HFS?

Yes, there is; boot (using a 512Ke or newer machine) with Finder 4.1 or
earlier (in other words, an MFS-only version) and then format the disk
normally.  The 128K (and probably newer) ROMs will assume 800K, but it will
have an MFS directory.

>  Declan A. Rieb           	INTERnet:DARieb@Sandia.GOV
>  Org 2614 (Computer Consulting)	      	 DARieb@Sandia-2.ARPA
>  Sandia National Laboratories	         dxxr@LANL.GOV
>  Albuquerque, NM   87185-5800    Bell:	(505) 844-6338

*  Chris "Data" Davis !  BITNet: smghy6c@buacca.bitnet  !     NCC-1701D     *
*  Student Consultant !  InterNet: ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu    !        ___        *
*  Boston University  !        smghy6c@buacca.bu.edu    ! ---===========--- *
*---------------------+---------------------------------+     o  \|/  o     *
* DISCLAIMER: I said it and nobody else is responsible. !     `-< * >-'     *
* "You all look like happy campers to me." -Dan Quayle  !                   *

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 May 89 16:44 EDT
From: HENRY YEE <HENRY@atc.bendix.com>

IN%"darieb%sandia.gov@relay.cs.net"
IN%"Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.EDU"

Declan A. Rieb,
  I don't know how to format MFS on an 800K disk unless you have one of the
older MACs.  If you just need to transfer files to the older mac, you could
format the disk on the MFS system, then use it in the HFS MAC and drag the
files to that disk.  The older MAC will be able to open and use such files.

Henry Yee            IN%"Henry%atc.bendix.com@RELAY.CS.NET"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 May 89 11:16 EDT
From: <JRCLARK%UTKVX2.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: 800K MFS disks

To create an 800K MFS disk, all one has to do is format the disk in an 800K
drive using a pre-HFS Finder. The first HFS Finder (official) was Finder 5.3,
released in June, 1986. There were pre-release versions floating around
in the fall of 1985 at the time the HD20 was introduced. The last MFS
finder was created April 8, 1985, and was numbered, I believe, Finder 4.1--
but the creation date is the best way to go...

Jim Clark
UT Martin

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 MAY 89 17:03:08 PDT
From: <MICRO2.KLOPP@crvax.sri.com>
Subject: DIGLIB -> PICT Converter?  TIFF format?

We here at SRI use Lawrence Livermore's DIGLIB routines to process the output
>From the ORION post-processor for their finite element codes DYNA and NIKE.
The DIGLIB routines translate ORION points and drive Tek & Graphon terminals
and make PostScript code for LaserWriter Pluses.

Does anyone know if there is a DIGLIB driver/converter that will output Mac
PICT files?  We know PICT file format and probably could conjure up something,
but we don't want to reinvent the wheel.  Any help/directions would be warmly
received.

Also, can anyone tell me the format of a TIFF file or where I can find it?

Thanks,
Rich Klopp
micro2.klopp@crvax.sri.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 May 89 11:11 EDT
From: <JRCLARK%UTKVX2.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: disabling LW startupe page

If you use SendPS or other utility that downloads postscript to the lw
directly, the following will disable the printing of the statup page:

0 serverdict begin exitserver statusdict begin false setdostartpage end

Another alternative is to pull the paper tray out suitably long when
restarting the printer.

With the above, change "false" to true to enable printing of the startup
page.

Jim Clark
UT Martin

------------------------------

Date: Wed 24 May 1989 11:04 CDT
From: <MSER001%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Dynamic Resources while sitting on Quantum 80 (arg)

Below is an example from ResEqual tool using MPW 3.0.  Notice that I have
a creepy disk.  All of the below were run within a 1minute time period.  Also
notice that sometimes I will have no difference at all.  Sounds like a creepy
virus, or creepy drive.  Maybe my se/30 does not like its quantum 80, and
is trying to tell me to reject it!  I have recently just noticed this in the
last 2 weeks.  Creepy only bytes single bytes.  Anyone else see something
like this?   My..my.  Guess it just goes to show you, use apple SCSI drivers
unless you want conflicts like this.  This ONLY happens when an APPLE CD-SC
and scanner is hooked up to the mac.  Guess I cant use either one of them if
I want to have a GOOD hard drive!  Quite the trade off.  Maybe I best go back
to the slower apple scsi driver.

File #1: MPW Shell		 /* used for mac  compiling */
File #2: c:MPWGS:MPW gsShell     /* used for IIGS compiling */

Resources have different contents
Resource Type = "CODE"  ID = 7
Contents of resource in file 1 at offset 7697
40 3D 40 FF D8 26 6C 00 58 3D 6C 00 34 FF E2 4A     @=@..&l.X=l.4..J
Contents of resource in file 2 at offset 7697
41 3D 40 FF D8 26 6C 00 58 3D 6C 00 34 FF E2 4A     A=@..&l.X=l.4..J

File #1: MPW Shell
File #2: c:MPWGS:MPW gsShell

Resources have different contents
Resource Type = "CODE"  ID = 9
Contents of resource in file 1 at offset 14124
FF AD F1 00 70 00 10 10 60 0C 70 01 2F 00 2F 07     ....p...`.p././.
Contents of resource in file 2 at offset 14124
52 AD F1 00 70 00 10 10 60 0C 70 01 2F 00 2F 07     R...p...`.p././.

Resources have different contents
Resource Type = "CODE"  ID = 21
Contents of resource in file 1 at offset 11606
40 3D 48 00 00 00 FA 00 00 00 FA 00 00 00 FA 00     @=H.............
Contents of resource in file 2 at offset 11606
7D 3D 48 00 00 00 FA 00 00 00 FA 00 00 00 FA 00     .=H.............

Plus multitude of other test...all different.

Anyone else have scsi conflicts?  I want to listen to music while am on the
mac.

Scott Hutinger

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 May 89 08:40:45 EDT
From: Anup Patel <patel@mitre.mitre.org>
Subject: Environment Control Software??

I'm looking for software that will control electrical appliances, room
temperature, and other things in an office/home.  I've heard of such software,
but don't know if they exist or being developed.  Any pointer, ideas, or views
greatly appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 May 89 09:24:03 bst
From: Sak Wathanasin <uklino!sw@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: Ethernet with Gatorbox and fastpath

>Star Controller to ethernet running TCP/IP.  If anyone out there has
>used or is using Kinetics Fast Path or Gatorbox I would like to know

We have a GatorBox which talks to our Sun 386i. Works well, but is very
slow. I timed a Finder copy of a 300+ K file. Time to Mac II running as
AppleShare fileserver on Ethernet (using EtherTalk): 6.24 secs; to Sun
using GatorBox: 1m 2.73 secs; to Sun using FTP (NCSA Telnet): 14.79 secs.
The file was transfered from the internal HD on my MacII which has an
Ethernet card. Noone else was using the Sun or Ethernet when I ran my test
(of course, there is always background traffic on the net).

Cayman have promised an upgrade (real soon now), and I hope that there are
substanstial imrovements.

Sak Wathanasin

uucp:	...!ukc!uklino!sw
JANET:  sw%uklino@uk.ac.ukc
BITNET: sw%uklino%ukc.ac.uk@ukacrl.bitnet
other:	sw%uklino.uucp@ukc.ac.uk
phone:	(+44) 242 222333 x206
snail:	c/o R & D, Linotype Ltd, Bath Road, Cheltenham, Glos. GL53 7LR, UK

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 May 89 12:09:10 EDT
From: rpk@goldhill.com
Subject: Experiences with Novell 2.15

Novell NetWare 2.15, which is the first version to support the
Macintosh, is great -- when it works.  We (at Gold Hill) upgraded from
Advanced Netware 2.0a; as a PC house porting software to the Mac,
Novell's product was moving in just the direction we are.

Installation of the software at the server end is an involved process,
but what did you expect ?  Dayna provides the Appleshare/Novell Core
Protocol conversion, so all that is needed for software on the
Macintosh client is Appleshare.  (Novell also provides a Network
Control Center application and a NetWare DA for manipulating
Novell-specific features.  These are not neccessary for file access.)
Novell restructured its file system so that all Macintosh HFS features
could be supported.

Gold Hill has three servers.  The Mac work is in R&D, so we plugged
the Novell-supplied LocalTalk board in the R&D server, a Compaq
Deskpro 386/20 with Storage Dimensions disks (connected with a Novell
disk coprocessor board).  After installing the VAPS (auxilliary
processes that provide NetWare with added functionality -- in this
case, LocalTalk/Ethernet bridging and AppleShare/NetWare protocol
translation), everything seemed to work.  For example, the server
indeed acted like a spooler for our Laserwriter, so both Macs and the
PCs on the Ethernet could spool to it.  On the other hand, we could
access the files residing on the non-R&D servers, but *not* the R&D
server itself.  It turns out that the LocalTalk board and the disk
hardware (Storage Dimensions and/or Novell) conflict.  It was possible
to access the other servers because no disk activity occured during
the transaction.  Or maybe it was a fluke.  Getting intelligent
answers from Novell customer service is probably harder than
disassembling their code.

With this conflict, we decided to perform the bridging with a separate
PC, an old Compaq Deskpro that was lying around.  After the usual
ration of installation pain, we could access all three servers from
the Macintosh.  However, the setup is unreliable:

(*) The print spooling mechanism is very flakey.  This was
corroborated in this week's issue of InfoWorld.  (It seems to work
very reliably under our initial setup, however.)  The server seems to
either not find the LocalTalk printers, or forget that they are there.

(*) The bridge software is fragile, just trying to deal with protocol
translation.  Macintosh clients are doomed if the message "ASP packet
sequence error detected" appears on the monitor of the bridge.  (I
believe that this lossage was also mentioned in InfoWorld.)  The Mac
hangs.  My guess is that this is partially AppleShare's fault -- there
doesn't seem to be a graceful recovery from link-level errors where
bridges are involved.  There are two solutions:

	* Reboot the Mac.  Unfortunately, this is a messy restart and
	will cause you to wait longer because the desktop file has to
	be rebuilt.

	* Reboot the bridge.  A much better approach.  AppleShare will
	gracefully recover.  Your volumes will go away, but at least
	you'll have a chance to save your work locally.

Conclusions:

NetWare for the Mac is great when it works.  When it doesn't, the
experiences can range from bothersome to painful.  Other people might
have better experiences than ours with Mac NetWare if their
configurations differ.  Performance over LocalTalk is OK, if not
spectacular.  Also, PC performance seems to have degraded, at least
with directory operations.  (Some users reported performance
*increases* in the InfoWorld article.)  If you have a problem, be
prepared to speak slowly and use small words with Novell
representatives.

Novell is preparing a fix to be released in June.  (My guess is that
most of the bugs are a result of hasty integration of Dayna's
software.)  It will be interesting to see if overall performance
increases when NetWare 386 is released; I assume that there would be a
lot of installations that could take advantage of it.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 May 89 18:06 EDT
From: The key to mental stability is a one to one relationship with your sports
Subject: Hypercard & more

                                                 ACSAZ@SEMASSU, 23-MAY-1989

    Hi, I'm wondering if nyone knows the script to eject a disk in
heypercard.  Also, do I need NETMBX privs to access the archives?

                                   Alex Z... . .  .

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 May 89  18:26:57 CDT
From: Hare%CDCCentr.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Init Icon Display

Too many INITs and the icons are gone! Does anyone know of some
way (perhaps an init) to display inits icons at start-up
time such that when the right edge of the screen is reached,
the icons move up a row, or scroll up a row (that would save
Guardian's Shield which appears to be hard coded into the
last row but one).

Lawrence D. Hare

------------------------------

Date: 24 May 89 09:21:00 PST
From: art@sage.acc.com
Subject: Looking for Geological materials for MACs

I am interested in finding any available material, that runs on a MAC,
which would be useful for teaching Geology and/or Paleontology.  I would
be interested in any graphics, MAC programs or HyperCard stacks.

Please respond directly to me, since I don't normally read this list.

Thanks in advance for any leads.

|	Art Berggreen		Advanced Computer Communications	|
|	<art@sage.acc.com>	Santa Barbara Street			|
|	(805)963-9431		Santa Barbara, CA 93101			|

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 May 89 17:14:07 CST
From: Steve Middlebrook <C94882SM%WUVMD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Madonna sound

Attached is a binhexed version of a stuffited SoundEdit file.
It is a sampling of Madonna screaming "What do you mean it's not in the
computer?" from the end of "Act of Contrition" off her latest album.

Makes a wonderful shutdown sound!

Steve Middlebrook
Washington University--St. Louis

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/madonna.hqx; 40K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 May 89 09:57:32 EST
From: sbm@cs.purdue.edu
Subject: sound/musicworks-jukebox.hqx

     There is a packit file called sound/musicworks-jukebox.hqx in the
info-mac archives that unpacks into several data files and an
application called "JukeBox" which simply produces a bus error whenever
it is launched on a Mac II or Mac+ under System 4.2/Finder 6.0.  The
same functionality could be reproduced in a much smaller file.

					Steve Munson
					sbm@Purdue.EDU
					sbm@Purdue.CSNET
----------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 May 89 15:23:04 EST
From: sbm@cs.purdue.edu
Subject: sound/soundplay.hqx

     It looks like sound/soundplay.hqx also crashes on launch on a Mac
II.  I think I got another bus error.

					Steve
----------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 May 89 13:31:37 BST
From: Brian Candler <BTC10%phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: TextEdit

Can anyone tell me what the rationale is behind Apple's new Styled TextEdit?
(It's in Inside Mac Vol 5). I'd always thought that it was impossible to
build a proper wordprocessor using TextEdit anyway, because of the inability
to handle tabs and justification, let alone the 32K text limit.
Even Apple acknowledge this (in Technical Note 203 I think). So why did they
bother?

Brian Candler
BTC10@UK.AC.CAMBRIDGE.PHOENIX

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 May 89 23:26 EST
From: LOBSTER@northeastern.edu
Subject: Virtual

I've been using Virtual V1.5 on a 2meg MacII for about a month. At first it
didn't work with 32Bit Quickdraw and the Think Pascal V2.0 Debugger but the
most recent version is robust. It even works with the ABSoft v2.4 debugger.
Suddenly I understand the attraction of MultiFinder.

End of Info-Mac Digest