Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/27/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 26 May 89       Volume 7 : Issue  96

Today's Topics:
           A few questions for inclusion in Info Mac Digest
                     answer to Anup Patel, 24 may
         Can filenames be automatically printed with the doc?
                        Command Line Interface
            creepy drive problem related to bad scsi cable
                               DMCS 2.0
              Help: source code for a 68000 assembler ?
                             Hyperfiction
                       INXS Devil inside sound
                     Leading clock zeros (IM7-94)
                    Mac to Mac connection via SCSI
                          MusicWorks Jukebox
                               OCR Font
                          Ram-cache Problems
                   Resubmission of MW Jukebox info
                               TextEdit
  Transforming IBM VM/SP LISTING files into Mac semi-formatted text
                           Vision sequencer
                           Word 4.0 Symbols
                       Yet another word 4.0 bug

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Thu, 25 May 89 11:06:14 +0200
From: Jan Engelen <FHEDA02%BLEKUL11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: A few questions for inclusion in Info Mac Digest

Hello,
I would appreciate if anyone can help me with the following problems:
*1) When I installed new DA's with Lucky31, I received for some of them,
    instead of an action, the very dramatic announcement that my harddisk
    is unreadable and I have the option to reformat it (which I refuse, as
    there is nothing wrong with it...).
*2) I'm looking for a database programm (actually a bibliography organizer)
    that permits the export of text files in formatted form (e.g. as MSWORD
    merge files). I can not use one of the standard export facilities (e.g.
    Filemaker has 4 of them), as they produce plain ascii files. Inside
    Filemaker, one can use fonts etc., but this info is NOT exported.
    Any good suggestion?
*3) Does anyone have (preferably shareware or freeware) terminal emulation
    programs for the European public data services using protocols such as:
    - PRESTEL
    - MINITEL/TELETEL
    - Bildschirmtext (BTX)

Thanks a lot.

Jan Engelen
Vloerstraat 67
B-3020 Herent(Belgium)
e-mail: FHEDA026BLEKUL11 (Bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 May 89 10:47:29 pdt
From: farr%jplmrs.span@witch.jpl.nasa.gov
Subject: answer to Anup Patel, 24 may

Anup Patel was looking for environment control software. While I donUt know of
software, per se, I know of a company that makes a box that has analog and
digital inputs, A to D converters, AC-line device control, and interface to a
variety of computers. Plus some software. Price is around $400. The company is:

Remote Measurement Systems
2633 Eastlake Av., E.
Suite 200
Seattle, WA  98102
(206) 328-2255 (voice)

Have fun.
Tom Farr			farr%jplmrs.span@jpl-mil.jpl.nasa.gov
Jet Propulsion Lab		or	5258::farr

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 May 89 13:43 EDT
From: V120J88X@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu
Subject: Can filenames be automatically printed with the doc?

We require that the filename of our drawing (Cricket) and word
processing documents (Word 4.0) be printed at the bottom of
eprintedd page so we can easily locate them on the Mac later.

The brute force solution is to type it in a footnote or add text to
the bottom of the drawing.  But is there a way to automate this?
Afterall, the Laserwriter knows the filename of the document being
printed.

Joe Fritz
V120J88X@UBVMS

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 May 89 18:47:58 -0400
From: xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye)
Subject: Command Line Interface

Enclosed is a command line interface application.  You need to unbinhex
and unstuffit first.  The help files are included in the archive.

P.S. Sorry, I didn't mention author's name here, since I can't remember.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/command-line-interface.hqx; 90K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 25 May 1989 12:01 CDT
From: <MSER001%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: creepy drive problem related to bad scsi cable

I reported problems with my scsi devices, namely my se/30's internal hard
drive.  Very strange problem indeed.

[  se/30  ] -->  [  apple cd-  ] ->  [  apple scanner ] -> terminator

Just like to docs say.  I noticed that my hard drive problems went away
when my cd-player was re-located at the end of the chain.  Also the
problems went away when the terminator at the end of the scsi chain was
removed.   Now, since this is not correct...I tried all new cables.

Strangely, the problem was the system cable, which goes from the se/30 to
the first scsi device.  Now why this cable would work correctly with the
scanner as the first device, is beyond me.  I know very little about scsi,
but know enough not to BEND, CRIMP, nor abuse the cables.  The bad cable
is also new, bad in the sense that it would not work with the cd player as
the first device.

WORD OF CAUTION:  If you get any scsi devices, watch out for single byte
errors from your internal hard drive.  They can really be pain, and hard
to detect, unless you are looking for them.

Does this make sense to anyone?  Is the scanner scsi port different than the
cd-player scsi port?

Scott Hutinger

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 May 89 11:37:55 EST
From: DJ WOOD <DWOOD%UDCVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DMCS 2.0

DEAR MUSICIANS,

   I AM HAVING A BIT OF A PROBLEM RUNNING Deluxe Muisc Constrction Set 2.0 on
my mac ][.  I have installed a copy on my HD-20 that is connected to a mac +
and it works fine. But when I try to run my master disk on a SE or a ][ it
tells me that my disk is unauthorized.

P L E A S E  H E L P

Thanx

DJ WOOD

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 May 89 08:44:35 EDT
From: keough@mbunix.mitre.org
Subject: Help: source code for a 68000 assembler ?

Would anyone out there have source code available for a 68000 assembler?
It would save a lot of time on a project I'm working on for use in an
assembly language/computer organization class in my academic environment.
Any source language, or any feature (/bug) set, would be helpful.

thanks,
Jerry Keough

(through August)                  (all the time)
The MITRE Corporation             Math Dept., Boston College
keough@mbunix.mitre.org           keough@bcvms.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 24 May 89 22:49:00 EDT
From: "ADAM ENGST" <pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Hyperfiction

   This is a piece of hypertextual fiction along with a discussion of
hyperfiction as a genre.  Both were written using StorySpace, a beta-test
release program.  Included is ReadSpace, which allows one to read StorySpace
documents but not to make any changes or see the structure.
                                              -Adam Engst
                                               pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/app/hyperfiction-part1.hqx; 150K
             /info-mac/app/hyperfiction-part2.hqx; 150K
             /info-mac/app/hyperfiction-part3.hqx; 150K
             /info-mac/app/hyperfiction-part4.hqx; 75K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 May 89 17:28:30 CST
From: Steve Middlebrook <C94882SM%WUVMD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: INXS Devil inside sound

Attached is a binhexed, stuffited SoundEdit file.  It is a sampling from the
INXS song "Devil Inside" where the Aussie boys sing "Every single one of us--
a devil inside."  Has been a popular start-up/shutdown sound around here.

Steve Middlebrook

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/inxs-devil-inside.hqx; 72K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 May 89 10:19 H
From: <KSEAH%NUSDISCS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Kenneth C L Seah)
Subject: Leading clock zeros (IM7-94)

Jon...
  Apple shifted the INTL 0 and 1 resources into itl0 and itl1
respectively.  ResEdit will allow you to open itl0 and itl1 and
edit them.  The system uses itl0 rather than INTL 0 for its
international settings.  INTL 0 and 1 are (probably) kept around
for compatability - yes - some programs still use them.

Kenneth Seah

------------------------------

Date: Thu 25 May 1989 20:35 CDT
From: Fred Seaton - WIU  309/298-1681 <MUCM000%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac to Mac connection via SCSI

Is it possible to Connect two macs back to back via their SCSI ports?
My problem is that I have two Mac II's, each with an internal hard disk
(one has a 40mb Seagate with SCSI address=0; the other has a 90mb Wren
with SCSI address=3) and I'd like to be able to transfer a large number
of files between the two drives.

To avoid Finder conflicts on one of the drives, I was planning to boot
one of the machines on a floppy and then unmount that hard-disk (drag it
to the trash), that way, only one Finder would have access to both of the hard-
drives.  That CPU would then be responsible for transfering the data between
the drives.  However, will there be any problems with two CPUs on the same
SCSI bus (naturally, both CPUs have an SCSI address of 7)?  I need to leave
both machines powered up to power both hard drives.

Now, if all my assumptions are correct, what kind of cable will I need?
Just a standard 25 pin male-male cable?  Anything else?

Fred Seaton
Academic Computing
Western Illinois University
mucm000@ecncdc.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 May 89 11:28 EDT
From: <JRCLARK%UTKVX1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MusicWorks Jukebox

MusicWorks Jukebox requires that you have the MusicWorks demo file
also in the archives. Under no circumstances will the applications work
on a Mac II,b should work on a Plus--you might have to use an MFS
disk and/or older Finder, however The JukeBox program is crude, but
MusicWorks has never been upgraded since its introduction in Fall, 1985.
How's that for support? (At least I have never been informed of an
upgrade.)

There is a public domain version of ConcertWare+ that runs on a II. Like
PD MusicWorks, it will only allow you to play the files, but not aler
them. (THat should be ALTER them)

Jim Clark
UT Martin

(Note: so far as I know, PD ConcertWare+ is not in the archives)

------------------------------

Date: 24 May 89 12:51:00 EST
From: "1159-DIRECTOR/OVERSEAS OPS" <nauen@ILCN-WREED.ARPA>
Subject: OCR Font

Would very much appreciate any information whatsoever about a source for
an OCR font, which would allow us to automate preparation of official
Army messages, also known as cables or twixes.

Please reply to me directly, as I am not on info-mac.  When I tried to get on a
few months ago, I was told that I couldn't subscribe directly, but would
instead have to set up a sublist here at our host.  For whatever reason (fear
of infection and disease, general apathy, who knows?) there is no interest
among our host administrators for such an arrangement.

Ric Nauen, Overseas Operations
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research
U.S. Army Medical Research and Development Command
E-mail: <nauen@wrair.arpa>*   Telex: 192894 WRAIR-HQ
Telephone: (202)576-3442  (DSN)291-3442
Facsimile: (202)576-3114  (DSN)291-3114
Cable (military/government): DIRWRAIR WASHINGTON DC//SGRD-UWZ-O//
      (civilian/commercial): WRAIR WALTER REED WASHINGTON DC 20307-5100

 *Our official hostname is 'ilcn-wreed.arpa'.  On 1 June 1989 it will
  change to 'wrair-emh1.army.mil'.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 May 89 11:06:40 EDT
From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <PP838474%TECMTYVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Ram-cache Problems

>Recently I could upgrade my Mac II to 5 MByte and I thought it to
>be a good idea, using a big ram-cache of 512 KByte.

RAM caching is like aspirin in times of headache; a pill or two will make
you better, but the whole bottle will definitely make you ill !!

Having 512k worth of un-updated disk blocks on volatile RAM is not a
good idea. Rather than going into a discussion of how it works, I
suggest you get a copy of TechNote # 81, 'Caching', where it is all
explained. It is available in the info-mac archives, as /tn/tn081.hqx

Regards,

Juan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 May 89 11:35 EDT
From: <JRCLARK%UTKVX1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Resubmission of MW Jukebox info

(This replaces my previous posting which was somewhat garbled
by local tranmission errors)

MusicWorks Jukebox requires that you have the MusicWorks demo file
also in the archives. Under no circumstances will the applications work
on a Mac II, but should work fine on a Plus--you might have to use an MFS
disk and/or older Finder, however. The JukeBox program is crude, but
MusicWorks has never been upgraded since its introduction in Fall, 1985.
How's that for support? (At least I have never been informed of an
upgrade.)

There is a public domain version of ConcertWare+ that runs on a II. Like
PD MusicWorks, it will only allow you to play the files, but not alter
them. (So far as I know PD ConcerWare+ is not in the Info-Mac archives)

Jim Clark

------------------------------

Date: 25 May 1989 00:36:47 EST
From: Stew.Rubenstein@lhasa.harvard.edu
Subject: TextEdit

I use styled TextEdit to allow small blocks of styled text in a MacDraw-like
program that I wrote and market called ChemDraw.  I believe MacDraw uses
it too.

There are lots of places besides word processors which could use styled
TextEdit.  In my opinion, any application of any kind which allows the
editing of text, but only single-font unstyled text, is behind the times
and should be fixed.  Of course, the fix ought to start with Apple making
it easier to use styled text - it should be set up so that you have to do
something special to get unstyled text for some special application.

Stew Rubenstein
Internet: rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu
AppleLink: D1481
CompuServe: 76525,421

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 May 89 20:52:53 EDT
From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <PP838474%TECMTYVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Transforming IBM VM/SP LISTING files into Mac semi-formatted text

I am looking for a way to transport IBM VM/SP LISTING type text files,
with carriage control characters into some suitable Mac text processor
document, without losing the scant formatting afforded by the carriage
controls. The idea is to transform the CC chars into the appropiate format
for the text processor to understand: i.e, transform the '1' into an
equivalent 'skip to next page', the '0' into a 'double space before',
etc.

I would like the resultant Mac document to be in MacWrite, MS Word,
MS Works, WriteNow or PageMaker format. I'm thinking of either a program
to read the text file and output a file in the proper format or perhaps
a macro.

Does anybody have something along these lines ? Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

Juan Courcoul

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 May 89 16:25 AST
From: Stan Armstrong <ARMSTRONG%HUSKY1.STMARYS.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Vision sequencer

I and others are trying to find a copy of Opcodes new Vision sequencer.
Would someone mind either posting it to the SUMEX archives or Emailing
me a copy. Thanks.
Stan Armstrong.
Religious Studies Dept
Saint Mary's University
Halifax, N.S.,CANADA, B3H 3C3
(902)420-5866

USENET: att!clyde!watmath!water!dalcs!armstrng
BITNET:ARMSTRONG@STMARYS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 May 89 14:10 EST
From: <ELBERT%MIDD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Word 4.0 Symbols

One of the more annoying features of Microsoft Word 4.0
is the use of a rather pale gray for the special
symbols displayed after a show-paragraphs command.
While this is not a problem unless you are actually
using the color capabilities on a so-equiped system, it
certainly is a pain to go back aand forth between 2- and
8-bit mode to be able to easily see the symbols.

I took a look through the resource fork (with Resedit) but
couldn't find an edit-able resource to correct the problem.
I called Microsoft's support line..the person I spoke with
didn't think I could change the characteristics of the
symbols and so...I turn to the net to see if anyone has
found a way to correct this.  Thanks.

David Elbert
Geology Department
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753
(802) 388 3711 x5652
Elbert@midd.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 May 89 16:15:16 +0200
From: Sigurd Meldal <sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no>
Subject: Yet another word 4.0 bug

The problem:
Fractional widths on and right justification does not work - the lines
are no longer all right justified (some or most may be, but not all).

The workaround:
Drop either right justification or fractional widths. Both
unacceptable.

Are we in for another word 3.0 public beta-release debacle?

-- Sigurd

End of Info-Mac Digest