Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/29/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 28 May 89       Volume 7 : Issue  97

Today's Topics:
                        Appleshare and TOPS...
                        comp.sys.mac gateway?
                Converting mainframe carriage controls
                         Databases (2 pages)
            DiscClip - preserve clipboard between reboots
                             Dragger 1.2
                 HPDJ Driver/DeskJet+ Problem solved!
                       Mac and Picture Archives
                         Music FUN 1.0 (Demo)
                   Oracle/Mac sample stacks wanted
                              PostScript
                    Spelling checker for Textures?
                   Virtually new operating systems
              Where to get information about Tiff files
                      Word and fractional widths
                   WriteNow 2.0 lockup problems fix

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Fri, 26 May 89 12:40:19 EDT
From: (David Gursky) <dmg@mitre.mitre.org> <dmg>
Subject: Appleshare and TOPS...

Is it possible for a specific volume to be accesible through both Appleshare
and TOPS *simultaneously*?

The problem I am looking at is sharing files among Macs and Suns.  I'm
concerned about the problems I have heard about lately with TOPS, and that
TOPS does not (nor will it in the future if I understand correctly) AFP.
Consequently I want to move away from a completely TOPS-based solution.  At
the same time, I will need to share files among SUN workstations, and the only
solution I am aware of for this is TOPS.  [Oh, I should restate that. I need
to share files among SUN workstations and Macs.]

Regards,

David

Disclaimer:  Dis is soup.  Dis is art.  Soup.  Art.  (Apologies to Lily Tomlin)

David Gursky                                 Internet:  dmg@mwunix.mitre.org
The MITRE Corporation                        7525 Colshire Drive, MS Z080
McLean, VA   22102                           703.883.7790

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 May 89 14:14:45 EDT
From: thoyt@ddn-wms.arpa (Thomas Hoyt)
Subject: comp.sys.mac gateway?

Hi,
   Does anyone know how to access the newsgroups comp.sys.mac or comp.
sys.mac.programmer from an Internet site?  Is there a gatewayed mailing
list like info-apple(comp.sys.apple)?  Alas, we are not connected to
Usenet here.  Post directly to me...I can summarize if interest warrants.
Thanks.
******
Thomas Hoyt             |  "Government Computers for Government business..."
CRC Systems, Inc.       |  "NO FUN ALLOWED..."
thoyt@ddn-wms.arpa		|	"Oh no...it's written in COBOL..."
******

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 May 89 18:38:34 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Converting mainframe carriage controls

>I am looking for a way to transport IBM VM/SP LISTING type text files,
>with carriage control characters into some suitable Mac text processor
>with carriage control characters into some suitable Mac text processor
>document, without losing the scant formatting afforded by the carriage
>controls. The idea is to transform the CC chars into the appropiate format
>for the text processor to understand: i.e, transform the '1' into an
>equivalent 'skip to next page', the '0' into a 'double space before',
>etc.
I know know how to handle the '1' for skip to next page.  Simply do a
search and replace with some sufficiently powerful editor or file
manipulator like McSink or Add/Strip.  Search for a carriage return (CR)
followed by '1' and replace with CR followed by a Ctrl-L.  Note that in
McSink, a CR is specfied by \R and a form feed (Ctrl-L) by \F.  Word will
interpret the Ctrl-L as a page break.  Word can also be used for the search
and replace, but will bog down on large files.  Use ^P for a CR (Paragraph
break) and ^L for Ctrl-L when doing search and replace in Word.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 May 89 15:13:32 -0400
From: grant@itd.nrl.navy.mil (William (Liam) Grant)
Subject: Databases (2 pages)

Here at work, we would like to keep a list of articles in some
sort of database.  Standard bibliography stuff and some local info.
[IE Title, Author, Date, Magazine, Local Source (Whose office, and which
drawer), etc.]

Hypercard seemed ideal for this at first, just create a card catalog type
of stack and type it all in.  However, then we tried searching through it.
My boss would like to be able to search a particular field for a particular
string.  [IE.  A command would allow him to search the title field for all
titles containing the string ^Navy^ and get back a list of titles.]

For short databases, searching for just the next card might be all right,
but this is too ungainly the way things are here.

Also, being selective to just one field would help.  A lot of these
articles seem to have quite a few words in common with the authors names or
the magazine names.

Can I do this in Hypercard ?  How ?  (I can program, but am just starting
Hypercard [READ, opened the shrinkwrap last night on my copy]).  Can anyone
recommend other software packages instead ?  Reasonable prices only.  I
don;t want to spend a grand on this.

Thanks.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

William (Leprechaun Liam) Grant		Grant@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Code 5541				(202) 767-2392
Naval Research Laboratory
Washington, D.C. 20375

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 May 89 11:49:55 BST
From: np%doc.imperial.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Subject: DiscClip - preserve clipboard between reboots

DiscClip is a simple program which preserves the contents of the Clipboard
between reboots. IM 5 states that the Shutdown Manager saves the clipboard
to disc when you Restart/Shutdown - this gave me the idea, unfortunatly
I found that (at least on a Mac Plus Sys 6.0.2) the Clipboard isn't saved...
This program should be set as your startup application (if run from
the finder it will clear the Clipboard and replace it with whatever was
on it at the last shutdown). FreeWare - enjoy.

UK Mac'ers: This file may be retrieved from macserve at irlearn (Dublin)
via bitnet or fileserv%irlearn@earn-relay from Janet sites.

				Nigel

[Archived as /info-mac/util/clipboard-saver.hqx; 4K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 May 89 17:56:00 EDT
From: Oliver Steele <steele@cs.unc.edu>
Subject: Dragger 1.2

[Dragger 1.1]

Dragger is a Control Panel document which lets you drag images,
such as windows or the thumbs of scroll bars, as solids, or as
semi-transparent shapes, instead of by their outlines.  It's
free but copyrighted -- you can't sell it.

I find this particularly useful for laying out DITLs in ResEdit,
but it also lets you see how much of the material in a window
will be obscured or off the screen while you're still dragging.

Version 1.2 allows the user to specify the largest window size
to be dragged as a solid.  Windows largest than this are still
dragged as outlines.

Oliver Steele
UNC-CH Linguistics
steele@cs.unc.edu
...!decnet!mcnc!unc!steele

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/dragger-12.hqx; 24K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 May 89 23:57:28 PDT
From: anderson@duke.stanford.edu (Greg Anderson)
Subject: HPDJ Driver/DeskJet+ Problem solved!

A few days ago I posted a request for help in getting the new HP DeskJet+
printer to work using the HPDJ Driver that had recently been posted to
the net.  As it turned out, cable confusion was the culprit--
a modem cable is not the same as a printer cable (thanks, Apple!),
though they certainly look the same.  The HPDJ Driver appears to work
equally well with the DeskJet and the new DeskJet+, based on what
I've read in comp.sys.mac; I don't have a DeskJet to make a direct
comparison.

Thanks to Olli Arnberg, one of the authors of the HPDJ Driver, for
his quick response to my plea for help.

Greg Anderson
Stanford University
anderson@oasis.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 May 89 23:35:43  19
From: "Darren" <dstalder@gmuvax2.gmu.edu>
Subject: Mac and Picture Archives

In this package is a list of all the Mac and Picture archives that I
know of.  In it is a directory listing (ls -CR), the internet routing
number and the date the archive was taken.  I will be doing this once
a month sometime in the middle to the end.  If you see any errors or
omissions then please send them to me at the address below.  (I only
need the name and internet number).
--
                  Torin/Darren Stalder/Wolf
Blessed         Internet: dstalder@gmuvax2.gmu.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/archive-listings.hqx; 190K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 May 89 16:04:20 EDT
From: William Ermey <MU406000%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Music FUN 1.0 (Demo)

This is the Demo Version of Music Fun 1.0,  a new interactive,
game-like learning environment to practice basic skills of music
THEORY.

Subjects covered in the program include: note names; layout of the
piano keyboard; major and minor key signatures; scales (including
major, three forms of minor, church modes, wholetone, and
pentatonic); intervals and their inversions; triads and seventh
chords and their inversions; clefs (optionally, soprano, alto, tenor
and bass); and ear-training practice.

Answers are accepted by typing, playing notes on a keyboard (full
MIDI compatibility  in full version), or placing notes on the staff.

MUSIC FUN WAS WRITTEN BY WILLIAM ERMEY, ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF MUSIC
AT BROWN UNIVERSITY.

Requires System 6.0 & 128K ROM or later, and StuffIt 1.5.1 for
off-line decoding.

Doc in MacWrite format.

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/music-fun.hqx; 195K]

------------------------------

Date: 26 May 89   10:25 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Oracle/Mac sample stacks wanted

Date: 26 May 1989, 10:23:54 EST
>From: WMLBTAM at UCCCVM1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU

We're ready to get started in earnest leaning what Oracle/Mac and Oracle/VMS
can do together--but the samples in the Oracle/Mac package leave quite a bit
to be desired ( :-( ).  Does anyone out there have any sample stacks for Oracle
you can post me--or post to the net, for wider distribution?  Either way, I
(and I bet lots of others!) thank you.

Theodore Allan Morris                         | 231 Bethesda Avenue, ML# 574
University of Cincinnati Medical Center       | Cincinnati, OH  45267-0574
Medical Center Information and Communications | 513-558-6046 (W), 731-3451 (H)
Information Research and Development          | WMLBTAM@UCCCVM1, NTS WB8VNV,
==============================================| or AppleLink U1091
Call me up and I'll talk data to ya'!         | (you-one-zero-nine-one)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 May 89 11:28 EDT
From: <PORTERG%VCUVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Greg Porter)
Subject: PostScript

        In several of the ftp archives there are collections of *.ps art,
which I am assuming are PostScript.  Downloading them, I indeed find they are
text files chock full of PS code.  Now, as a relative amateur, I have no idea
in hell of how to get my NT to take this and turn it into "pritty picksures".

Help?

Greg Porter
PORTERG@VCURUBY (Bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 May 89 10:21:26 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Wilson <David.Wilson@scarecrow.waisman.wisc.edu>
Subject: Spelling checker for Textures?

> Is there a spelling checker DA available which will work within Textures?
> Texture's source files are just ASCII text. Ideally the spelling checker
> would ignore words beginning with / and text between $'s, and would allow
> customization of the dictionary, word correction in place, etc.

Spelling Champion does handle text files as well as MacWrite files through
version 5.0 and Word files through version 3.01.  There is not much of a
market for independent spelling checkers anymore, so I had not been
planning on any futher work on Spelling Champion.  I am, however, willing
to supply Spelling Champion source after the proper non-disclosure forms
have been filled out.  It is written in Softworks C under MDS.  The
modification to make it ignore words beginning with / and text between $'s
should not be hard.  If there is a market for Textures spelling checkers,
we could come to some marketing agreement.

Spelling Champion is an application rather than a DA.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 May 89 14:28:20 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Virtually new operating systems

                         VAPORWARE
                       Murphy Sewall
               From the June 1989 APPLE PULP
        H.U.G.E. Apple Club (E. Hartford) News Letter
                          $15/year
                       P.O. Box 18027
                  East Hartford, CT 06118
            Call the "Bit Bucket" (203) 569-8739
     Permission granted to copy with the above citation

Apple Operating System Upgrades.
Apple has announced System Software 5.0 for the IIgs
(release date this Summer) and System 7.0 for Macintosh
systems with a minimum of 2 Mbytes of RAM (release date
first quarter 1990).  The new IIgs system includes AppleTalk
access and generally improved performance.  Software written
for the new ExpressLoad development tools will load up to
four times faster than current versions.  The big news about
Macintosh System 7.0 is virtual memory (protected mode
multitasking is expected in version 8.0 currently planned
for 1991), but the Interapplications Communications (IAC)
architecture may be as important.  Applications written
using the IAC tools will be able to dynamically share data
among applications (either running in other windows at a
single workstation or on another workstation in a network).
A Macintosh with either a 68030 processor or a 68551 memory
management unit and a 68020 will be required to implement
virtual memory.  Rumors say Apple will by-pass A/Ux 1.2 and
await version 2.0 (under development under the code name
"Space Cadet") in about a year.
- Apple Press Releases 5 and 9 May and
  MacWeek 2, 9, and 16 May

Future of MS-DOS.
Microsoft chairman Bill Gates has told members of the Boston
Computer Society that his company is working on another
major upgrade (5.0) of the DOS operating system.  He also
said Microsoft plans to remove the operating system's
current memory constraint.  A 32-bit (80386) version of OS/2
which also will be i486 compatible is scheduled for release
sometime next year.  - InfoWorld 1 May and PC Week 8 May

Floptical Drives For the People.
Quadram of Norcross, Georgia plans to begin shipping Brier's
25 Mbyte (21.4 Mbytes formatted) floptical disk drives (see
last January's column) on September 1.  An internal model
($800) and an external model ($1,000) will be offered under
the brand name QuadFlextra.  Media will retail for $20 a
disk.  A 50 Mbyte drive (43.2 Mbytes formatted) which also
will read standard 720 Kbyte and 1.44 Mbyte 3.5 inch disks
is anticipated by next January.  - PC Week 1 May

Apple Product Announcements.
Current plans call for multiple network product
announcements on June 12 including TokenTalk, a NuBus
token-ring adapter, for the Macintosh II family (available
by the third quarter of the fiscal year for between $1,200
and $1,300).  The schedule for the LapMac has slipped again
(what else is new?), and introduction of the 25 MHz IIcx
(see last month's column) also has been delayed.  Apple
plans to announce both in time for the Christmas selling
season - that is, by October 15.  By year's end, look for an
announcement of a 33 MHz 68030 Mac scheduled for limited
production as early as next January.  The current Mac SE and
SE-30 will be replaced by the end of 1990 by a similar color
Mac.  - MacWeek 25 April and 16 May

The Unknown Computer.
This summer IBM will officially introduce a "personal
mainframe" which Big Blue has been selling since last
August, but only to customers who requested it.  The
MCA-based Personal System/370 combines a PS/2 Model 60 or 80
with a $25,000 computer formally titled the 7437 VM/SP
Technical Workstation.  The Personal System/370 runs VM/SP 5
and CMS.  - PC Week 24 April

EISA Hardware.
Demonstration prototypes of the first Extended Industry
Standard Architecture (AT-bus card compatible) computers and
32-bit add-in boards should finally be ready by mid-summer.
Volume shipping of the new computers should begin about the
time of Fall Comdex.  - PC Week 1 May

Faster Math Coprocessors.
Integrated Information Technology has announced plug and
object code compatible math coprocessors to compete with
Intel's 80287 and 80387 chips.  The IIT-2C87 is twice as
fast as the 80287 and the IIT-3C87 is 50 percent faster than
the 80387 (they execute floating point instructions in fewer
clock cycles).  Volume quantities are scheduled for the
third quarter at prices which match Intel's.
- InfoWorld 24 April

If the i486 Isn't Fast Enough.
If you long for even more power than offered by the i486
PC's which will begin arriving next year (see last month's
column), you'll be able to get an immediate two to threefold
performance gain by adding a floating-point coprocessor from
Weitek.  The Abacus 4167 chip is expected to be available in
sample quantities in September with full production planned
for next February.  A $1,000 retail price is anticipated.
- PC Week 8 May and InfoWorld 8 May

Upward Compatible.
Cheetah International has announced a 33 MHz 80386 computer
for the third quarter this year that is designed for an easy
plug-in upgrade to an i486 system - InfoWorld 24 April

Lap Atari.
If you've grown tired of waiting forever for a LapMac, Atari
expects to begin offering a 15 pound portable version of the
popular ST, known as Stacy, this month.  The Stacy laptop
has an 8 MHz 68C000, 1 Mbyte of RAM, a 640 by 400 supertwist
LCD display, and a track ball to serve as a mouse.  The
rechargeable battery pack has a capacity of five to eight
hours.  A single floppy version has a list price of $1,495
while a Stacy with a 20 Mbyte hard disk will retail for
$1,995.  - InfoWorld 24 April

Laptop RISC Workstation?
Sun has licensed its S-bus technology to Mission Cyrus, a
Vancouver, BC start-up which is hard at work on a SPARC
portable.  Mission Cyrus hopes to introduce a portable RISC
workstation early next year.  - InfoWorld 24 April

8 Mbyte Spreadsheet Anyone?
Microsoft Excel Version 2.2 for the Macintosh is due to ship
before the end of the second quarter.  The new release
averages 40 percent faster than the current version (1.5)
and can address up to 8 Mbytes of memory.  Excel 2.2 is
functionally compatible with the MS-DOS Windows version (the
two products share 80 percent of their code), and a
Presentation Manager version is under development.  Excel's
graphics still pale by comparison to those produced by
Informix's Wingz.  - MacWeek 2 May

MS-DOS Software from Claris?
Although Claris officials deny it, rumors persist that, once
the firm goes public, there will be a Windows version of
FileMaker.  Claris is a licensed Windows developer and
Windows FileMaker code was obtained when the company
purchased Nashoba software.  - MacWeek 25 April

New Language Products.
Borland is suspending work on Turbo Basic and Turbo ProLog
in order to concentrate on Turbo Pascal, C, and Assembler.
Meanwhile, Microsoft is planning a continuing string of
announcements for new versions of Quick Pascal, Quick
Assembler, and professional C.  - InfoWorld 15 May

Norton Utilities for the Mac.
Peter Norton is about to release a book tentatively titled
"Inside the Macintosh," and a package of disk management and
data recovery utilities for the Mac is under development for
release "in this decade" (purists will note that 1990 is the
last year in the current decade).  - MacWeek 25 April

Bits of Data.
Apple's unit sales of personal computers in 1988 exceeded
IBM's for the first time since the IBM-PC was introduced in
1981.  According to the Software Publishers Association,
educational software sales in 1988 were: Macintosh $5
million, Commodore $5.4 million, Apple II $80.0 million
(that is, if Apple does drop that II line, buy stock in
Video Technologies -- makers of the successful series of
Laser 128 Apple clones).  IBM has been referred to in this
column and elsewhere as "Big Blue" for years, but the
company didn't get around to registering the nickname until
last year.  Now IBM's lawyers are trying to get computer
products distributor Big Blue Products (incorporated in
1984) to stop using the name (nearly as much fun at the
Beatles' Apple Corp record label trying to keep Apple
Computer from putting it's name on "musical" products like
the IIgs).
- InfoWorld 15 May, MacWeek 16 May, and InCider June

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

------------------------------

Date: Fri 26 May 1989 10:26 CDT
From: <MSER001%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Where to get information about Tiff files

Information and sources can be found from:

Dest Corporation
1201 Cadillac Court
Milpitas, CA 95035
c/o Research & Development
(408)946-7100

The phone number will give you the front desk, and they will then turn you
over to a pre-recorded message telling how to get the Tiff library.
Bears Rivers is no longer handling this package, and has turned this over to
Dest Corp.

Send a $25.00 check to them, with information about what machine(ibm or Mac)
and they will ship Macintosh Source and object files, TACS Documentation,
Demonstration Programs and source.  The source code is in MWP 2 C.  It will
not compile without changes to the source code even if CCVT is used.  Every
thing comes on Two disks, including documentation.  Documentation is also
given to you in hard copy format.  I also think they wanted your "company"
name, your name, phone number, address, shipping address.

I have the package, and if someone where to call Dest, and get the "OK" to
put it on the net, that could be done.  But $25.00 dollars is pretty cheap
for all the information that is received.  Too bad they do not have an
updated version for easy Mpw 3.0 compilation.  When converting the code to
Mpw 3.0 C source, it shows how much more information, and possible bugs could
crop up in the older C compilers.  I have found some "minor" mistakes or
oversights which Mpw 3.0 C points out, such as not casting to the type they
had set up.  Also I have only changed the MPW tool td (tiff dump) over to 3.0 C
so far, and its a small program.

The documentation states that Manny Vellon from Microsoft (Windows Marketing
Group) is working with Tiff.  This is not true anymore.

Also...an oversight; They have a Disclaimer and Product License Agreement, so
I doubt they would want the package sent over the net...but you never know.

Hope this was not too long, and gives some more information about where to
get Tiff information.  Also I posted a small file about the tiff file:
19071 Apr 13 18:23 ./misc/tiff-file-format.txt

scott hutinger

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 May 89 18:48:20 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Word and fractional widths

>The problem:
>Fractional widths on and right justification does not work - the lines
>are no longer all right justified (some or most may be, but not all).

Are the lines no longer right-justified on the screen, printout, or both?
Under Word 3.02, fractional widths and right-justified text printed fine,
but did not show on screen as right justified.  This was not a bug, but
just one of the "features" of using fractional widths (besides the slow
display speed) in Word.

I have found that using Adobe's screen fonts (which include bold, italic,
and bold-italic fonts) produces results that look as good as using
fractional widths, without the drawbacks.

------------------------------

Date: 25 May 89 06:58 EDT
From: science@nems.arpa (Mark Zimmermann)
Subject: WriteNow 2.0 lockup problems fix

In answer to my query, John_Anderson@NeXT.COM has been exceedingly helpful;
he reports that the problem is associated with making large numbers of ruler
changes (format alterations), and that he is mailing me a fix for it.  His
attitude is great:  "I will make every effort to fix every last bug and
give everyone who has any problem a fixed version.  Feel free to pass it along
to other people who have similar problems.  We like to have happy customers..."

As I hope I made clear in my previous msg, I already like WriteNow a lot
better than any other WORD processor; this user-oriented response by the
company strengthens that feeling....  ^z
-------

End of Info-Mac Digest