Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/31/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 30 May 89       Volume 7 : Issue  98

Today's Topics:
              [DCGQAL]FALK2!Re: Can filenames be auto...
                       [Info-Mac Digest V7 #96]
                Anybody have x-, y-, & z-modem source?
                          Appleshare on Suns
        Color/grey scale graphics in Word 4.0 - how to print?
            creepy drive problem related to bad scsi cable
                       FDHD drive compatibility
                         HPopUpMenu version 2
                        Info-Mac Digest V7 #96
            Mac II fan noise - an Apple approved solution
                             MACs vs PCs
                               Mac Yacc
                        OCR font (Postscript)
                            Outline fonts
                      Printing PostScript files
                         Procyon Common Lisp
        Rationale for new TextStyle:Re: Info-Mac Digest V7 #95
                             SAS for Mac
                              Scrapz DA
                              Scrollinit
                      Update for Boot Check INIT
                      Word and fractional widths
                             word counter
 Yet another Word 4.0 bug (from Sigurd Meldal <sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no>)

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Tue, 30 May 89 00:14:45 PDT
From: "[DCGQAL]FALK2" <XB.DAS@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [DCGQAL]FALK2!Re: Can filenames be auto...

In Info-Mac digest 7/96 Joe Fritz (V120J88X@UBVMS) asked:

> We require that the filename of our drawing (Cricket) and word
> processing documents (Word 4.0) be printed at the bottom of
> eprintedd page so we can easily locate them on the Mac later.
>
> The brute force solution is to type it in a footnote or add text to
> the bottom of the drawing.  But is there a way to automate this?
> Afterall, the Laserwriter knows the filename of the document being
> printed.

There is a product called "PostScript Job Log", which prints the name of the
document, the user who printed it, the number of pages, and the processing time
of the LaserWriter in a 4 point font on the very last page of each print job
sent to the LaserWriter.

The program is currently under development, but it should be available by the
end of June. For more information contact:

        Hard+Soft Computer Marketing GmbH
        Seilersttte 16
        A-1010 Wien
        Austria (Europe)
        Phone#: [43] (222) 513-4755
        FAX#:   [43] (222) 513-7671

Hope this helps.

Alexander Falk

=END=

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 May 89 10:45:17 BST
From: Brian Candler <BTC10%phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: [Info-Mac Digest V7 #96]

1. Prestel emulation: when I was a Prestel subscriber, I used the Pretzel
   desk accessory; I have version 1.6, but I'm sure there have been
   subsequent releases, so I am reluctant to upload it to the archives.
   It works very well, supports the graphics (but not double height/flashing,
   I don't know about colour), and even has ResEdit-programmable function
   buttons. Shareware fee (at the time I paid it) was UK#10 or equivalent
   to the famine relief charity of your choice.

2. SCSI Mac to Mac: sounds very dodgy! I didn't think you could unmount a
   hard disk by dragging it to the trash; however (on my SE at least) you
   can force it not to mount the internal HD at all by holding down Command-
   Option-Shift-Delete (!!) while booting from floppy.
   Having done that, you'd need a 25 to 25 way cable with all pins
   connected (see Inside Mac V4 p252 for pinout), and hope that the Mac
   isn't confused by another machine taking over bus mastership!
   The SCSI standard in fact allows multiple bus masters just as you want;
   it's a shame that Apple's subset of SCSI doesn't support this.

Brian Candler
BTC10@UK.AC.CAMBRIDGE.PHOENIX

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 May 89 17:06:57 CDT
From: "David Richardson, UTA" <B645ZAX@utarlg.arl.utexas.edu>
Subject: Anybody have x-, y-, & z-modem source?

A freind of mine (who cannot get info-mac) is looking for sources or detailed
protocal descriptions of the Ymodem, Zmodem, Xmodem-CRC, & Macbinary
protocals.  If you know of any other protocals he should include in his BBS,
please let him know.
If you know where he or I can get them, mail both of us, or, if you have them,
mail him.  I can get files for him through ftp or LISTSERV (on Bitnet).

He is Andy Kuykendall, ANDY.KUYKENDALL@F13.N130.Z1.FIDONET.ORG,  Fido 1:130/13

-David Richardson, b645zax@utarlg.arl.utexas.edu or @utarlg.bitnet
span:  utspan::utadnx::utarlg::b645zax  +1 817 461 4799, Also: Fido 1:130/13

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 May 89 16:48:06 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Appleshare on Suns

>"... I will need to share files among SUN (and Mac) workstations, and
>the only solution I am aware of for this is TOPS..."

Appleshare server software is available for the Sun and I think it is
free.  We have it working on our Sun server here at the UBC Computing
Centre and that way, we can pass files amongst all the Macs very
easily using the Appleshare workstation software that comes with every
Mac.  I didn't set it up, so I don't know any other details.  I'm sure
someone else on the net can elaborate.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 May 89 12:21:39 +0200
From: Sigurd Meldal <sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no>
Subject: Color/grey scale graphics in Word 4.0 - how to print?

I have a MS Word 4.0 document with a glorious picture of the Golden
Gate Bridge. On screen it is reproduced in colors, but when printed it
comes out stark black and white. How can I get the laserwriter to
print it using grey scales? The same problem arises when I want to
print grey scale pictures.

-- Sigurd

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 May 89 17:55 EDT
From: <ELJAZZAR%UTKVX3.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: creepy drive problem related to bad scsi cable

> I reported problems with my scsi devices, namely my se/30's internal hard
> drive.  Very strange problem indeed.
>
> [  se/30  ] -->  [  apple cd-  ] ->  [  apple scanner ] -> terminator

Remove the terminator..  Somewhere in the CD-ROM installation manual, it says
not to use a terminator if you have an "internal" hard disk.  Maybe that's the
problem..

Mohamad El Jazzar
UT Computing Center
Knxville, Tenn.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 May 89 09:45 EST
From: <J_RICHAR%HVRFORD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: FDHD drive compatibility

        Does anyone have experience moving DSDD disks back and forth between
the 800K and 1.4MB drives?  Apple is very non-committal about whether they
are 100% compatible.
        And while I'm asking:  has anyone had trouble with 800K disk drives
in SEs or Mac IIs bought last summer?  We bought 12 SEs, and five or six boot
disks go bad each week.  It's always the same problem -- physical damage to
one of the first sectors on the disk.  Usually, all files can be recovered with
First Aid Kit or SUM, but the disk can not be reinitialized.  We sent one system
back to Apple, but they claimed they couldn't find any problem.  They said it
might be inadequate power.
        Send responses to either question to me or info-mac.  I will summarize
if appropriate.

                                        Jan Richard
                                        Haverford College
                                        Bitnet: J_RICHARD@HVRFORD

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 May 89 14:16:41 PDT
From: PUGH@ccc.mfecc.llnl.gov
Subject: HPopUpMenu version 2

Here is version 2 of my HPopUpMenu XFCN for Hypercard.  It fixes two bugs that
only seemed to occur infrequently (to some people) and adds an installation
button.  Thanks to all the people who sent in Shareware payments.  I hope this
proves as useful for everyone as it has for me.

HPopupMenu provides an hierarchical popup menu anywhere on a card. The menu
can have or not have submenus (which means it can function as a regular popup
menu - only one XFCN does both).  It adjusts itself to the card window for
large monitors.  It can have an almost unlimited (I said almost) number of
menu items (1056 to be precise). Its syntax is flexible (commas or
semicolons).  It can popup or pulldown. You can select the main menu item of a
submenu (honest, this was trouble to do).  All the menu meta-characters work
(this would have been hard to prevent).  It slices, it dices, and it is
essentially free (unless you like paying people for their hard work).

Share and enjoy.

Jon

N         L                 pugh@nmfecc.llnl.gov
 M    A    L   National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
  F    T    N      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
   E         L                PO Box 5509 L-561
    C                    Livermore, California 94550
     C                         (415) 423-4239

     If you shoot a mime, do you have to use a silencer?

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/xfcn-hpopupmenu-20.hqx; 33K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 May 89 21:53:51 EDT
From: john@trigraph.uucp (John Chew)

In Info-Mac Digest V7 #96 you write:

>Date: Fri, 26 May 89 13:43 EDT
>From: V120J88X@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu
>Subject: Can filenames be automatically printed with the doc?
>
>We require that the filename of our drawing (Cricket) and word
>processing documents (Word 4.0) be printed at the bottom of
>eprintedd page so we can easily locate them on the Mac later.
>
>The brute force solution is to type it in a footnote or add text to
>the bottom of the drawing.  But is there a way to automate this?
>Afterall, the Laserwriter knows the filename of the document being
>printed.
>
>Joe Fritz
>V120J88X@UBVMS

Sure.  In fact, you can get the document name in the same way
that the LaserWriter does, from statusdict/jobname.

Enter the following three lines of PostScript code into your
MS Word document and format it with style "PostScript".

statusdict/jobname get(document: )search{pop pop(;)search
{3 1 roll pop pop}if/Helvetica findfont 12 scalefont setfont
72 36 moveto show}{pop}ifelse

This will display the name of your document (or "Untitled1" etc.)
at co-ordinates (72, 36) from the lower left corner of your page
in 12 point Helvetica.  Two caveats: (1) if your document name has
a semicolon embedded in it, everything after the semicolon will
be truncated in accordance with PostScript conventions; and (2)
graphic characters whose Macintosh and PostScript encodings are
different may be incorrectly represented.  You can alter the
PostScript to fix this if you like, but (1) document names shouldn't
have semicolons in them and (2) I can't think of a way to do this
that doesn't rely on a knowledge of the names of certain procedures
in the current version of appledict.

You can do the same trick with Cricket Draw, although it gets
a bit more complicated.  You have to build an EPSF document
that contains those three lines of PostScript, and then use
the Get Document menu command to include it into your CD document.

In both cases, if you are going to be doing a lot of this you
will presumably want to set up a template document that has
the PostScript in it to use as stationery.

Please send e-mail if you have any questions re: the above.

John
--
john j. chew, iii   		  phone: +1 416 425 3818     AppleLink: CDA0329
trigraph, inc., toronto, canada   {uunet!utai!utcsri,utgpu,utzoo}!trigraph!john

Date: Tue, 30 May 89 13:39:41 +0200
From: Sigurd Meldal <sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no>
Subject: Mac II fan noise - an Apple approved solution

Yesterday I received a little gadget, which reduces the fan noise to
practically nothing. And it is approved by Apple, so the warranty,
Apple Care etc. are not invalidated.

The gadget is a sensor which regulates the fan speed. Cool mac -> no
noise, hot mac -> full wind tunnel blast.

My mac has an ethernet card and a Supermac color card, and the fan is
barely idling.

I got my fan controller from Nova Norway, but the original source is

	NOVA AB
	Kampegatan 16
	41104 Goteborg
	Sweden

The company has an American branch (or is it vice versa?):

	NOVA INTERNATIONAL
	435 N. 34th Str.
	Seattle, WA 98103
	USA

-- Sigurd Meldal
SDA & I am just a happy customer.

------------------------------

Date: 26 May 89 14:50:00 CST
From: "UL1::BRADLEY" <bradley%ul1.decnet@ua1.eglin.af.mil>
Subject: MACs vs PCs

E G L I N   A F B
                   I N T E R O F F I C E   M E M O R A N D U M

                                        Date:      26-May-1989 02:39pm CDT
                                        From:      DON E BRADLEY
                                                   BRADLEY
                                        Dept:      AFATL/XPM
                                        Tel No:    904 882 8235

TO:  _MAILER!                             ( _DDN[INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU] )

I am working as a consultant for a group of people who are very heavy into
producing technical documentation.  I have always been a PC user and have no
direct experience using a MacIntosh computer.  My people are very interested
in using desktop publishing (e.g. Interleaf and Ventura) with additional
graphics support.  I need to create a briefing that discusses the pros/cons of
the MacIntosh vs PC environments for this application (large technical
publications with extensive graphics).  If anyone has produced such a document
(or anything that compares Macs to PCs), I would appreciate it if you could
mail me a copy.  I am not a member of INFO-MAC, so please send any replies
directly to me.  If there is enough interest, I will consolidate the responses
and put them back out on the net.

Thanks,
Don Bradley
DDN Address: BRADLEY@EGLIN-VAX.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 May 89 20:56:10 BST
From: Brian Candler <BTC10%phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: Mac Yacc

I recently downloaded Mac Yacc from an outstation of the Info-Mac archives. It
claims to be version 0.3 (3/15/86) in the About box, and version 0.4 (3/18/86)
>From the Finder info window.

There are a number of minor problems with it:

1. '\n' in productions is interpreted as character code 13, rather than code 10
(the latter is what THINK C returns, for Un*x compatibility). Workaround:
either use '\012' or get the lexical analyser to return a NEWLINE token.

2. The program ignores the HFS; it will only open and create files in the root
directory. Why on earth this should be is anyone's guess.

3. Error reports in the output file (ie shift/reduce and reduce/reduce
conflicts) are output as a few characters of garbage instead of the appropriate
message, which makes grammar debugging a bit harder.

However, it otherwise appears to do its job well, and I am just writing this to
enquire if anyone knows of a later release of the program, and from where I
could get hold of a copy. (Also, the workaround information may be of use to
someone).

Brian Candler
BTC10@UK.AC.CAMBRIDGE.PHOENIX

"Feudalism - it's your count that votes!"

------------------------------

Date: 28 May 89 18:02 EDT
From: rrenfro@dtoa1.dt.mil (Richard Renfro)
Subject: OCR font (Postscript)

In the never-ending quest for a simpler workplace, we would
like to make it easier to produce naval messages.  The present
system requires manually (ugh!) typing the message on a pre-
printed form with a special OCR typeball.  What we'd like to do
is have the Macintosh produce the entire message, form and
all.  The only thing holding us up is finding a Postscript OCR
font.
Any clues would be appreciated!
Thanks
rrenfro@dtrc.arpa
Richard Renfro
David Taylor Research Center
Code 1401
Bethesda,  MD   20084 - 5000

-------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 May 89 12:31:12 PDT
From: minow%bolt.DEC@decwrl.dec.com (Repent! Godot is coming soon! Repent!)
Subject: Outline fonts

Outline fonts is a Hypercard stack that demonstrates the Macintosh
system 7.0 outline font capability.  There is some information about
the way font information is stored (including an example showing how
a character outline is converted to a bitmap) and a series of
screen images showing how fonts actually look in a "real" application.

Martin.

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/outline-fonts-part1.hqx; 150K
             /info-mac/hypercard/outline-fonts-part2.hqx; 150K
             /info-mac/hypercard/outline-fonts-part3.hqx; 150K
             /info-mac/hypercard/outline-fonts-part4.hqx; 110K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 May 89 17:15:56 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Printing PostScript files

>        In several of the ftp archives there are collections of *.ps
>art, which I am assuming are PostScript.  Downloading them, I indeed
>find they are text files chock full of PS code.  Now, as a relative
>amateur, I have no idea in hell of how to get my NT to take this and
>turn it into "pritty picksures".

You need the program "SendPS", "DistillPS" or the DA "PS Printer".
These should be available on Sumex.

Alternatively, you can put the code in Microsoft Word 3.0x or higher
and format the text as style "PostScript".  See your manual for details.
Word will then send this text as PostScript instead of as plain text.

Another way is to set the TYPE of the file to EPSF and place this into
a program that accepts EPSF files, like PageMaker.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 May 1989 22:17:28 PDT
From: John Sotos <sotos@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Procyon Common Lisp

Apparently Procyon Common Lisp is real, but
I have never heard a whisper of advertising
about it.  Apparently also, it is distributed
in the USA by Expertech, which I failed to
find in my Fall 1988 Mac buyer's guide.

Can anyone help with pointers to Expertech?

Thanks.

John

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 May 89 12:51:58 WET DST
From: Flash Sheridan <flash%cs.qmc.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: Rationale for new TextStyle:Re: Info-Mac Digest V7 #95

Don't know what Apple's rationale was, but I wanted programs to use it so
that when I copy something from Acta to WriteNow I don't lose the styling
info.
---
>From: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
Portal,MacNet: FlashsMom

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 May 89 13:27 EDT
From: <JRCLARK%UTKVX1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SAS for Mac

I glibly told someone the other day that SAS was available for the Mac,
thinking later that what I might have seen was an ANNOUNCEMENT for SAS,
or MINITAB.

Any news, pointers, rumors would be appreciated.

Jim Clark
UT Martin

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 May 89 23:41:48 -0200
From: sund@tde.lth.se (Lars Sundstr|m)
Subject: Scrapz DA

Scrapz Demo - A new Scrapbook DA

Scrapz is an enhanced scrapbook desk accessory which offers new
features. By letting you group the items any way you like Scrapz
will increase the usefullness of your scrapbook. Each group is
represented by a user defined icon and a name. A group is reached
by selecting its icon. Each item, picture or text, can be viewed
through the resizeable Scrapz window. Pictures can be shown either
in actual size or scaled to fit in the window. Scrapz has full colour
support. Text can be displayed with or without automatic line wrapping
and with style. If the items are to large to fit in the window you
can still look at any part by scrolling in any direction.
Scrapz allows complete or partial copying of pictures and text.
Scrapz directly imports Scrapbook, Scrapz, PICT and TEXT files.

[Archived as /info-mac/da/scrapz.hqx; 35K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 May 89 08:38:16 EDT
From: FALK%NORUNIT.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Scrollinit

Hello!
Just downloaded cdev SCROLLIMIT from the archives, but I have problems.
The cdev applicationsmenu (v3.4) dont't work when SCROLLIMIT is active.
I'v tried to rename and change order of inits and cdevs, but without success.(On
Anybody out there who knows about a cdev (Simon ???) to change and set
items in Itl0 and Itl1 resources (international format parameters)

Regards Christian

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 May 89 17:39:21 -0500
From: Don Gilbert <gilbertd@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>
Subject: Update for Boot Check INIT

Attached is an update of John Rotenstein's nice Boot Check init.
This update works properly for MacII class machines, powering
down the machine rather than presenting a shutdown dialog endlessly
if unauthorized user attempts to boot.   It works as before for
MacSE/+ class machines.
  -- Don Gilbert, dogStar software, gilbertd@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -- - - - - -  - -

Boot Check is a simple security system designed to keep irritating
visitors off of your hard disk. This is done by performing a security
check when starting the system.

While it can be easily circumvented by booting from floppy, most
irritating users don't tend to be technically capable of realising this fact.

And if, by chance, said irritating users happen to discover your
keyboard code, it can be easily and quickly changed.

The file is in StuffIt format, with an instructions file enclosed.

Distributed under the HappiWare System --

        IF YOU LIKE IT, REMEMBER TO SMILE!

John Rotenstein           Internet  johnr@runx.ips.oz.au
PO Box 165
Double Bay, NSW 2028.   UUCP  uunet!runx.ips.oz.au!johnr
AUSTRALIA.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/boot-check.hqx; 10K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 May 89 09:21:26 +0200
From: Sigurd Meldal <sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no>
Subject: Word and fractional widths

The lines show as justified on the screen, but often are not on the
printout. The context is: Word 4.0, System 6.0.2, MacII, Adobe
Palatino font as distributed through the info-mac archives.

-- Sigurd

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 May 89 08:17 GMT
From: HOLEMANS%ccv.UIA.AC.BE@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: word counter

Hello,

I'm looking for a program that counts words (specific one of all words) in
a text. The program has to be written in Pascal, Fortran or Basic and should
do his search on one of the following file types : Mac World, Word, Word
Perfect or full ASCII text.

As I'm not a member of this list, please respond to me personally.

Thanks,

W. Holemans
Computer Centre
University of Antwerp
Belgium
EARN/BITNET : HOLEMANS @ BANUIA51

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 May 89 08:24:20 EDT
From: (David Gursky) <dmg@mitre.mitre.org> <dmg>
Subject: Yet another Word 4.0 bug (from Sigurd Meldal <sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no>)

Someone left a message about this problem on the Twilight Clone here in DC.
Check the Page Setup command and ensure that Fractional Widths are enabled.
Word 4.0 does not ship with this feature enabled, you have to activate it
yourself.

Regards,

David

Disclaimer:  Dis is soup.  Dis is art.  Soup.  Art.  (Apologies to Lily Tomlin)

David Gursky                                 Internet:  dmg@mwunix.mitre.org
The MITRE Corporation                        7525 Colshire Drive, MS Z080
McLean, VA   22102                           703.883.7790

End of Info-Mac Digest