Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/01/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 31 May 89       Volume 7 : Issue  99

Today's Topics:
                         Article submission.
                           Bitnet for Macs?
                        Bug in Superclock 3.3
                           Caramba Bawamba!
                Color/grey scale graphics in Word 4.0
                  Help needed with FERROSHARE SERVER
                        Info-Mac Digest V7 #94
                      Leading Clock Zeros Cured!
                              Mac Hack!
            Mac II fan noise - an Apple approved solution
                          MacsBug and SE/30s
                            MNP Protocols
                           MS Word 4.0 bug?
                     Networking with just modems
                              OCR fonts
                    OCR fonts available from Adobe
                              SFPGetFile
                      Sound Playing Application?
                    Toolbox & Pathnames Under A/UX
                             xlisp source
                    ZMODEM description and sources

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Tue, 30 May 89 16:35 MST
From: "John W. Robson" <ROBSON@rvax.ccit.arizona.edu>
Subject: Article submission.

"I am looking for GROUPIES3.2, written by Sioux Lacy and discussed in Windoid
Issue #8."

If you have Windoid 8 you have Groupies - in fact, two copies. Groupies is the
script of the "Groupies Demonstration Card" - card 5 of 13 with ID 4667.

Groupies is also in the text of scrolling card field 3 with ID 18 of the main
Groupies card - card 4 of 13 with ID 10516.

It is a neat utility - well worth using and studying.

John Robson <ROBSON@ARIZRVAX>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 May 89  08:16 PDT
From: KONRAD%UCBCMSA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Bitnet for Macs?

I would be grateful for any information, tips, leads, on implementations of
BITNET software for the MACH operating system and MACOS for Macintoshes
(a la JNET for VMS and the Penn State software for Unix).  We would like to
obtain capability of sending all three entity forms (messages, files, and mail)
>From machines running MACH and MACOS that, of course, also have mail software
and network connectivity.

I received the communication below indicating that the products required
to put a MAC on internet or BITNET are not available.  Do you have
further information?

                                          Thanx.

Allan M. Konrad
                        Staff Scientist
                        Office of Computing Resources
 _________              Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
 |        |
 |        |             BITNET:    KONRAD AT UCBCMSA
 |        |             LBLNET:    AMKONRAD AT LBL
  ^       ^             INTERNET:  KONRAD AT CMSA.Berkeley.Edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 May 89 09:45:31 CST
From: d.m.p.@pro-party.cts.com (Don Peaslee)
Subject: Bug in Superclock 3.3

Jon Newman writes:
"I think I have found a bug in SuperClock 3.3.  When I clear the check box
for the new "chime" item, my Mac crashes." (etc...)

Are you using the GateKeeper CDEV, Jon?  If so, it will cause the problem you
mention.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 May 89 17:44:13 EDT
From: Eric Keller <FONETIKS%UQAM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Caramba Bawamba!

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu

In the recent issue of MacUser magazine, Jim Seymour dropped a
bombshell for all programmers interested in converting their Mac
programs for use in the five times larger IBM-compatible market. I
quote:

"Put simply, Apple has raised a lot of hell about people who make it
easy to get supposedly Mac-like stuff onto PCs. Just ask the house
counsel at Hewlett-Packard and Microsoft, who are still slogging
through the pretrial paperwork of Apple's interface-infringement
suit against them.

All the foregoing is very much in my mind as I ponder Apple's
probable reaction (at least internally) to the shipment by Bawamba
Software of a new package of conversion utilities that allow Mac
developers to port their Mac programs more or less easily over to
OS/2 and DOS.

Even worse (from Apple's vantage point) is that the programs, once
converted, come up on IBM PC screens not under the OS/2-Presentation
Manager interface or the DOS/Windows interface--but looking and
feeling (if you'll forgive the expression) just as they did on the
Mac.

Ouch!

Bawamba's Multiplatform Compatibility Package (mercifully, MCP) is a
grabbag of about 600 C-language subroutines that provide to the PC
the "services" in the Mac's ROM.

The more closely a Mac program follows Apple's recommended
programming guidelines, the more easily it converts to the worlds of
DOS and OS/2.

Double ouch!

Needless to say, the Bawamba package has attracted a lot of
attention in the developer community. I don't have any word yet on
how buggy this software is or on performance comparisons for
converted programs running on PCs versus those same programs running
on their native Mac, so let's not go too far with this."

Does anyone have Bawamba's address and phone number? Despite the
"lot of attention", this is the first I've heard of this Bawamba
Wonder.

Eric Keller
Universite du Quebec a Montreal

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 May 89 09:48:50 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: Color/grey scale graphics in Word 4.0

Apple's recently-released LaserWriter 6.0 driver and prep-file support
grey-scale printing on the LaserWriter, as well as color printing on
color-capable PostScript printers.  The 6.0 driver has been released
as part of the 32-bit Color QuickDraw release package.   I'd suggest
that you camp on your dealer's doorstep and pester him/her to get a
copy of this release-set from Apple (if one hasn't already arrived)
and to let you copy it.

If you install LaserWriter 6.0 on one of your Macs, you should install
it on all Macs on the same network... if you try to mix 5.2 and 6.0
on the same net, your LaserWriters will be forced to reset and
reinitialize themselves frequently.

I understand that the grey-scale printing in the 6.0 driver is quite
functional, but is also quite slow.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 May 89 19:05 N
From: <KRAALING%HWALHW50.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Help needed with FERROSHARE SERVER

Dear Net,

I have two questions:

1)
We are using a Ferroshare server (with Ferroshare software V1.7/4.76)
connected to a 20 Mb Apple HD. (This solution is cheaper
than buying a Mac). Very frequently we have troubles
with this system. Icons get screwed up and messages such as: "disk needs
minor repairs" show up. Also sometimes the disk and server crash
unexpectedly. We are using 13 Mac II's (2 Mb RAM, 40 Mb Hd), two
LaserWriter II NT's, three ImageWriter II's, localtalk and system
software is 6.0.2. Does this sound familiar to someone. Any help is
greatly appreciated.

2)
If the first problem cannot be solved we have to consider letting a Mac
do the work. What programs exist to let a Mac become a server ?
Any PD or ShareWare solutions ?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel van Kraalingen                               /      /    /  /       /
Department of Theoretical Production Ecology       /      /    /  /       /
Agricultural University of Wageningen             /      /    /  /  __   /
The Netherlands                                  /____  /____/  /__/ /__/

kraalingen@hwalhw50.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 May 89 23:04:47 CDT
From: decwrl!pnet01!pro-harvest!pauls@labrea.stanford.edu (Paul Snively)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #94

Network Comment: to #52 by Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU

As a developer who has been writing for the Mac for over 4 years, and went to
NeXT developer training in January (yes, I actually have hands-on NeXT
experience, I can tell you that the recent posts about DP being both "foreign
technology" and a real MIPS-drag are both true.

Another good example of Apple's fanaticism with respect to "not invented here"
is MPW.  MPW exists because Apple needed tools with which to write their
System Software, including ROMs, System Tools disks, things like Font/DA
Mover, etc.  Since they insist on controlling their development tools, they
wrote MPW.  That's why MPW was originally available to developers through APDA
for a pittance relative to other development systems, and why some of the
third-party compiler developers screamed bloody murder at the
price-performance ratio that MPW represented.

BTW, DP on the NeXT box has several little tricks, like DPWrap and
Compositing, to make it livably fast, even on the good ol' 25 MHz 68030 NeXT.

Paul Snively

 ProLine: pauls@pro-harvest               | pro-harvest +1 312 253 8239
   UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!pauls          | 24 hour operation
   ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!pauls@nosc.mil | 300/1200/2400 bps
InterNet: pauls@pro-harvest.cts.com       | Online since 1 April 1989

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 May 89 17:55:13 PDT
From: PUGH@ccc.mfecc.llnl.gov
Subject: Leading Clock Zeros Cured!

Kenneth C L Seah writes:
>  Apple shifted the INTL 0 and 1 resources into itl0 and itl1
>respectively.  ResEdit will allow you to open itl0 and itl1 and
>edit them.  The system uses itl0 rather than INTL 0 for its
>international settings.  INTL 0 and 1 are (probably) kept around
>for compatability - yes - some programs still use them.

Well, sure enough, there's the culprit.  itl0 had the leading zero flag set
and clearing it fixed the problem.  Now to figure out who's been setting it...

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 May 89 14:16 CDT
From: <SRS9925%TNTECH.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac Hack!

        I would like to inquire if anyone is aware of a version of NETHACK
(i.e. HACK), a hacked up rogue clone, available for the macintosh.  If not,
does anyone know where I can get the source (from any machine) for it.

                                Thanks in Advance,
                                        Stephen Shaw
                                        SRS9925@TnTech

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 May 89 19:15:13 +0200
From: Sigurd Meldal <sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no>
Subject: Mac II fan noise - an Apple approved solution

>This sounds GREAT!!  How does it attach?  Do you have to
>go into the power supply?  How does apple aprove it?

Simply (:-)), yes, hmm?
The control unit goes into the power supply, the sensor goes above
your internal harddisk. It is made to order for Apple Sweden (we are a
little bit more concerned about the working environment here in
Scandinavia) and is approved by them (I don't know about Apple US), if
installed by an authorized techie. I installed it myself (don't tell
anyone) by following the simple instructions enclosed with the kit.

>And... the biggie...  How much does it cost??
>(A rough conversion to American dollars would be appreciated.
> I may have 100% swedish ancestry, but I don't know
> the exchange rate.  Of course, you may not have any clue
> yourself! )

In Norway it costs about 500 NOKs, make that 55US$ + local VAT/sales tax.

-- Sigurd

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 May 89 09:09:14 CST
From: Michael Hanrahan <C09615MH%WUVMD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacsBug and SE/30s

Hi,
   Has anyone else seen MacsBug "double space" text in an SE/30?
This is not double spacing where there is a blank line between each
line.  Instead, there is a blank row of pixels between each normal
row of pixels in text.  While I'm not terribly concerned with the fact
that it's hard to read (I'm not an expert at debugging programs at
the register level), I wonder if this might be an indication of
a greater incompatibility between MacsBug and the new system or ROMs.
This is not a random occurrance.  It happens every time.

By the way, this is MacsBug version 5.4 (the one distributed with
Lightspeed Pascal).  I have this same version on my standard SE at home
and it does not have this problem.

Michael Hanrahan
Educational Computing Services
Washington University
St. Louis, MO 63130

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 May 89 23:35:04 BST
From: Brian Candler <BTC10%phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: MNP Protocols

Does anyone have copies of the protocols for MNP error correction?
I wish to incorporate MNP level 2 into a terminal program I have written.
I don't know of any other Mac comms programs that support it.

Thanks,

Brian Candler
BTC10@UK.AC.CAMBRIDGE.PHOENIX

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 May 89 13:49 EDT
From: Peter Szolovits <psz@zermatt.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: MS Word 4.0 bug?

The bug you mention about fractional widths causing the apparent
non-justification of lines may in fact be a "feature" that was also
present in Word 3.0x.  Try to print your document and make sure that it
indeed prints badly justified before you complain too vehemently.  If
the print test works, then what is happening is simply that the screen
display algorithm can't show fractional-widths correctly; rather than
scrunching characters into unreadability, it just lets the right margin
flop around a bit.  Display postscript or the promised outline fonts in
Rel 7 should give the basis for better solving this problem, as would
300dpi displays!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 May 1989 17:10:47 CST
From: Steve Middlebrook <C94882SM%WUVMD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Networking with just modems

I am working with a group social service agencies who want to "network"
a mac in each of their offices.  They are talking about sharing mailing lists
and databases. I would like to see them get into e-mail, sharing a printer,
BBSs and the likes. Problem is that this all going to be done with modems and
phone lines, and I'm not sure how sophisticated a "network" we can expect.

Dialing into commerical services and public bulletin boards is not a problem.
File Transfers using Red Ryder or some such package on both ends is technically
easy, but will require coordination and expertise which will limit its use.

I might be able to swing an extra machine to act as a server.  I don't know
anything about BBS software for the Mac, though.  Are there good cheap programs
out there that support mail, news, and file retreival?  These agencies deal in
a fair amount of highly confidential info, so security is also a must.

Beyond running a private BBS, is there some way to support "finder like" file
sharing over modems?  What about sharing the LaserWriter?  What if we had
dedicated phone lines?  Can you do appletalk over a dedicated phone line?

Any info, similar experiences or war stories appreciated!  Thanks

Stephen T. Middlebrook                                 *****
Educational Computing Services                      ***     ***
Washington University                             ***         ***
One Brookings Drive                             ***             ***
Campus Box 1221                               ***   Washington   ***
St. Louis, MO  63130                         ***    University    ***
(314) 889-5313                              ***                    ***
BITNET: C94882SM@WUVMD                     ***     St. Louis MO     ***

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 May 89 09:11:30 PDT
From: Ellen_Sangster@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: OCR fonts

 >From: rrenfro@dtoa1.dt.mil (Richard Renfro)
 >Subject: OCR font (Postscript)

 >In the never-ending quest for a simpler workplace, we would
 >ike to make it easier to produce naval messages.  The present
 >system requires manually (ugh!) typing the message on a pre-
 >printed form with a special OCR typeball.  What we'd like to do
 >is have the Macintosh produce the entire message, form and
 >all.  The only thing holding us up is finding a Postscript OCR
 >font.

   Linotype makes 2 PostScript OCR fonts, OCR-A and OCR-B. They're
listed as Volume 76 in Linotype's latest font brochure.
   If you need to fill out forms more challenging than a simple memo,
you might want to check out the Claris SmartForm package. It lets you
design, then fill out electronic forms. I saw the "designer" part
demo'ed a couple of weeks ago, and it has some very nice tools
for quickly creating complex forms.
Ellen Sangster
Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B.C., CANADA
Ellen_Sangster@cc.sfu.ca

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 May 89 13:23:20 CDT
From: "Edward A. Garay" <U12570%UICVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: OCR fonts available from Adobe

> In the never-ending quest for a simpler workplace, we would
> like to make it easier to produce naval messages.  The present
> system requires manually (ugh!) typing the message on a pre-
> printed form with a special OCR typeball.  What we'd like to do
> is have the Macintosh produce the entire message, form and
> all.  The only thing holding us up is finding a Postscript OCR font.

Adobe's type library package #58 contains 3 PostScript fonts:
OCR A, OCR B and a MICR font. Since it only has 3 fonts, I assume
the package costs as little as $95. For more info on the Adobe type
library, call 800-83-FONTS.

--- Ed Garay
    University of Illinois at Chicago

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 May 89 13:33 EST
From: Jeffrey S. Lee <LEE_JES%CTSTATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SFPGetFile

Greetings...

   Is anyone aware of a method of making the SFGetFile or SFPGetFile dialogs
return a folder name, instead of a file name?  Even with using the filter and
Dialog hooks, I can't get either of them to return with a folder name.

                                          Thanks in advance,

+------------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
|Jeffrey S. Lee                      |LEE_JES@CTSTATEU.BITNET                |
|Faculty Computing Center            |LEE_JES%CTSTATEU.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU |
|Central Connecticut State University|LEE_JES%CTSTATEU.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU|
|New Britain, CT                     |                                       |
+------------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| DISCLAIMER:  The opinions expressed in this letter are my own, and do not  |
|              necessarily reflect those of the Connecticut State University |
|              system.  Nor do they reflect light.                           |
               "Edmund, you've killed Nursie!  That's horrid!"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 May 89 10:46:46 EDT
From: Rocky_Olive@apex22.ceo.dg.com
Subject: Sound Playing Application?

I just bought a Mac IIcx, 1Mb RAM, 40Mb Internal HD, and an 8-bit
color video card driving a 640 x 480 color monitor.  I really love
it!  I have run into a few things and I could use some help:

1. The MacWrite that I used on the SE's at NC State Univ. won't work
     on my IIcx at home.  Is there a version that does work?

2. I've gotten some sounds from the sound directory, but I don't have
     an application to run them.  What do I need and how do I get it.

3. A lot of other programs that I've downloaded bomb (with various
     ID's 2,10,etc).  I assume that these are Plus, SE applications
     and because I have a IIcx, there's not much I can do.  Is there
     anywhere that has PD/ShareWare software that is for Mac II's?

Please respond directly to me.  Thanks!  Rocky...
 rocky_olive@apex22.ceo.dg.com
                                         "He has set me free!"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 May 89 20:52:24 edt
From: mcdowell@vtodie.cs.vt.edu (Brian McDowell)
Subject: Toolbox & Pathnames Under A/UX

I have recently encountered a problem while integrating some existing graphic
routines under Unix into a Macintosh Driver routine under A/UX 1.1  The problem
is encountered when I use SFGetFile to prompt for another input Data file.
I have no problem using the procedure except I can't figure out how to change
the CURRENT working directory so the standard fopen can access the files.
If I was using the toolbox file routines I would have no problem, however the
routines I am using can't use the toolbox so they will remain portable (the
driver is not intended to be ported for obvious reasons).

Is there any way to generate a full pathname based on the vRefNum returned
by SFGetFile so that it can be used as the file name instead of changing
directories or to use chdir thru a system call, or is there a better way.

I don't know if you guys answer particular questions like this, however I am
getting desperate.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brian McDowell
Virginia Tech

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 May 89 16:54:56 EDT
From: frege@caen.engin.umich.edu (YoungPa So)
Subject: xlisp source

   Dear Sir,

   I have recently downloaded the xlisp 2.0 for Macintoshes, and found your
e-mail address. I am also interested in the source code (if possible in
THINK (Lightspeed) C. I am a Computer Science student at the Univ. of Mich.
If you know the way to get a copy of the source I would very much
appreciate if you message me the way.
  Thank you for your time.

  Sincerely,

  Y. P. S.  (frege@caen.engin.umich.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 May 89 09:43:48 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: ZMODEM description and sources

The sources for "sz", an excellent Unix XMODEM/YMODEM/ZMODEM package, are
available for anonymous FTP on UUNET.UU.NET;  they can be downloaded from
/usr/spool/ftp/comp.sources.unix/volume12/zmodem/part01.Z, part02.Z,
and part03.Z.  Remember to download these files in binary mode... they're
compressed shar files.

A description of the ZMODEM protocol can be found on the MacCincy BBS;
I don't have its phone number handy, but Andy should be able to find it
in the FidoNet nodelist (it's actually located in Kentucky).  Check
the telecom section;  the protocol description is there, as is the
current version of ZTerm (a very nice X/Y/ZMODEM-capable terminal
emulator for the Mac).

End of Info-Mac Digest