Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/11/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Sat, 10 Jun 89       Volume 7 : Issue 101

Today's Topics:
                          Clipboard Magician
                             Common Loops
                  DAmenuz .9978 (was called hierDA)
     DeskPict & cRGBinit which fixes DeskPict, This is last file
                             Dragger 1.4
                           FlashWrite CDEV
                        Info-Mac Digest V7 #97
                            LODE-3.sit.hqx
                     minimal MIDI interface plans
                                Pheta
                           Postscript help
                           Unsafe software?
                               Word 4.0
                      Word 4.0 BugList 89/05/31
                       XCMD example in Think C
                              ZTerm 0.8

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Thu, 1 Jun 89 14:28:25 PDT
From: Ed Lai <lai@apple.com>
Subject: Clipboard Magician

Clipboard Magician is a DA that let you display the content of the scrap, it
also have a collection of code resource components (currently over 40) that
let you manipulate the scrap data. For example for the text scrap, there is
a text editor to edit the text scrap.

[Archived as /info-mac/da/clipboard-magician.hqx; 116K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Jun 89 13:25:46 EDT
From: Menachem Jona <jona-menachem@YALE.EDU>
Subject: Common Loops

I am using Allegro Common Lisp on the Mac and heard that PCL (Portable
Common Loops) was availible in the public domain.  If this is indeed
the case, could someone kindly direct me to it so that I may download
it.

Thanks for the help.

Kemi Jona
ARPA:   jona@cs.yale.edu
BITNET: jona@YALECS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Jun 89 12:45:41 -0600
From: t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs)
Subject: DAmenuz .9978 (was called hierDA)

Here's the latest version of hierDA now called DA menuz. It adds the capability
to set which modifier keys are required to popup the menu of menus.  It fixes
a lot of bugs. It now loads in system heap space so theres fewer problems with
MultiFinder and is suppose to be faster as a result.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/da-menuz-09978.hqx; 27K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Jun 89 14:57
From: <SENSORY%SUNRISE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DeskPict & cRGBinit which fixes DeskPict, This is last file

This file must be unBinHex'd and then unStuffIt'ed
it contains 3 files:
DeskPict        V1.0  an init which makes a file
                  named DeskPicture in your
                  System Folder containing a
                  PICT resource with id=0
                  into your desktop pattern.

DeskPict ReadMe   instructions and information
                  concerning DeskPict. READ THIS

cRGBinit           an init, which when used in
                   conjunction with DeskPicture
                   will cause the proper colors
                   in the PICT to be loaded into
                   the CLUT's of a Mac II. It
                   also causes the update region
                   of the DeskPicture to be updated
                   at speed close to that of
                   monochrome mode. (normally
                   DeskPict updates very slowly)
                   if you hold the mouse button
                   down, it will beep; otherwise
                   it will put up the PICT,install
                   itself and change the CLUTs.
                   This init was written by
                   me, Mike Schechter and is
                   free to anyone who wants it.
                   I may be contacted at
                   isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/init/deskpict-package.hqx; 33K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 May 89 23:58:29 EDT
From: Oliver Steele <steele@cs.unc.edu>
Subject: Dragger 1.4

[Dragger 1.4]

Dragger is a Control Panel document which lets you drag images,
such as windows or the thumbs of scroll bars, as solids, or as
semi-transparent shapes, instead of by their outlines.  It's
free but copyrighted -- you can't sell it.

I find this particularly useful for laying out DITLs in ResEdit,
but it also lets you see how much of the material in a window
will be obscured or off the screen while you're still dragging.

Version 1.4 fixes some bugs that could occur with large windows
(larger than 640x480) on large screens.  Dragger now works
with multiple screens, although it will not work on windows
unless all the screens are one bit deep, nor on controls
unless the window they're in is on a one bit screen.

Thanks to Jon Pugh at LLNL and Jeff Miller at Apple for
bug reports and technical assistance.

Oliver Steele
UNC-CH Linguistics
steele@cs.unc.edu
...!decnet!mcnc!unc!steele

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/dragger-14.hqx; 26K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 89 09:56:18 ADT
From: Peter J Gergely <GERGELY@[192.12.62.20]>
Subject: FlashWrite CDEV

FlashWrite is a cdev that you put in your System Folder.  Then you just
hit a keystroke and FlashWrite, a full featured note pad/scratchpad/
text editor pops up in the middle of whatever you are doing, even in
dialog boxes.  You can have up to 10 pages of information, 32k worth
each, plus a special scratchpad for writing on the fly and you can
import/export text.  FlashWrite is great because it is easy to use,
fast, convenient, and you can use it for phone numbers, notes, things
to do, anything you need access to instantly.  This is truly a
unique program, worth a look.  Comes with complete documentation.
>From Andrew Welch & Mark 3 Software.

	- Peter

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/flashwrite.hqx; 79K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 89 07:28:46 CDT
From: Eddie Mikell <eddie@cc.msstate.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #97

I am attempting to set up a learning lab for Apple II GS's networked to a
Mac which is being used for the server.  It will be used as a hands on lab
for teachers, short courses, etc.

Does anyone know of a newsgroup which could assist in this effort?  The
documentation for the appleshare for the IIgs is awful.

Thanks!

Eddie Mikell
Mississippi State University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 May 89 07:29:36 PDT
From: claris!drc@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Dennis Cohen)
Subject: LODE-3.sit.hqx

Here is a set of Lode Runner screens that I picked up off CompuServe
a while back.

Dennis Cohen

[Archived as /info-mac/game/lode-runner-screens.hqx; 5K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 May 89 13:20:01 LCL
From: LIBHTK%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: minimal MIDI interface plans

I am cross posting the following to both the Info-Mac and Emusic-L
lists. I forget where I FTPed this from but I learned about through
one of the one of the above lists.  I don't think this has been
directly posted in either list before.

I haven't the foggiest if the thing actually works.  If anyone gets
around to building it before I do (likely), please post their results.

-- Tom Keays                  "I will not be pressured into
   LIBHTK@SUVM (BITNET)        prejudging the past"

            MINIMAL MAC--MIDI INTERFACE
            ===========================

    Well, here it is all you MIDI fans.  THE ultimate in
    simplicity!!  This is a simple schematic for a serial
    to MIDI converter.

        There are two functions performed here.  One is the
    conversion from current loop to RS-422.  The second function
    is supplying the 1 MHz signal for the serial chip to sync
    up with the 31.5K baud rate of MIDI.

               +-------+     +------+
To MAC   4   10|26LS32 |     |7407  |
Serial  >------+       |11  1|      |2    +------+    5
Port     5    9|       +-----+      +-----+R=220 +-----<  \
DB9 pin >-------       |     |      |     +------+         \  (5 pin DIN socket)
Numbers        |       |     |      |                       | MIDI OUT
               +-------+     +------+                      / (to instrument)
                +------+                  +------+    4   /
      +5 volts -+R=390 +--+     +5 volts -+R=220 +-----<
                +------+  |               +------+
               +-------+  |  +------+1    +------+    4
         8    6|26LS31 |  |  |MCT2  +-----+R=220 +-----< \
        >------+       |11| 5|      |     +------+        \  (5 pin DIN socket)
         9    5|       +--+--+      |                      | MIDI IN
        >-------       |    4|      |2                5   / (from instrument)
               |       |   +-+      +------------------< /
               +-------+   | +------+

                           Ground
         <<<<<<<<<<<<< DATA FLOW << (MIDI INSTRUMENT TO MAC ) <<<

               +-------+     +------+
         7   10|26LS31 |     |1 MHZ |
         3   11|       +-----+      |
        >-------       |     |      |
               |       |     +      |
               +-------+     +------+

    Power connections:

              GROUND    +5
            -----    --
      7407        7    14
      26LS31    8,12    4,16
      26LS32    8,12    4,16
      OSCILLATOR    7    14

Notes:

    The optical isolator MCT-2 above can probably be any relatively
fast optical coupler.  Note that the 390 ohm resistormay need to be
adjusted to make sure the output does not saturate.  Using a scope
while feeding a MIDI signal in should show you whether the signal
looks clean.

    The diagram has been drawn to show MAC signals on the left
and MIDI signals on the right.  There have also been allowances made
for the fact that 80 column ascii displays are not **exactly**
graphics terminals. Also note that the MAC pin numbers are for the
DB9 connector **NOT** the 8 pin mini-DIN connector!!

    The age old question of where to get power for this always
remains.  On the pre-MAC-PLUSs, there was power available from the
serial port connector.  I solved this problem by finding a 7 VDC
AC adapter at a parts store and using a 5 volt voltage regulator
IC to bring it down to 5 volts.  This is left as an exercise for
the student.....

    The 26LS31 and 26LS32 are the same type of chips which are
used in the MAC for RS-42? conversion.  I got them from a store in
Santa Clara California (Anchor Electronics  (408) 727-3693).  They
also have 1 Mhz Oscillators as well.

    I have built several variations of this over the last two
years and have had good success using a variety of music software
with them.

John Hengesbach
(205)772-1669

uunet!ingr!henges
Intergraph Corporation
Huntsville, AL 35807

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 May 89 08:38:44 PDT
From: claris!drc@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Dennis Cohen)
Subject: Pheta

Here is part 1 of 3 of the game, Space Station Pheta.

[Archived as /info-mac/game/pheta.hqx; 215K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  2 Jun 89 08:41:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: "John E. Haberland" <jh4h+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Postscript help

I've sent the following postscript to my Laserwriter and IINT to stop the
ever-so-wasteful initialization pages on startup:

0 serverdict begin exitserver statusdict begin false setdostartpage end

I realize that setting the 'false' to 'true' will return the printers to
normal.  But what I'd like to be able to do is send a postscript command
that will produce the page only once, and not have it be permanent.  The
reason I want this capability is to monitor the amount of pages produced
per toner cartridge (the IINT seems to use buckets of toner more than the
Laserwriter).  Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
John Haberland
Senior, Economics and Industrial Management
Assistant Systems Coordinator
Carnegie Mellon University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 89 16:42 PST
From: CHOE@phast.phys.washington.edu
Subject: Unsafe software?

        Upon downloading DISKBENCH.HQX yesterday (7 June '89)
I tried it on my Mac Plus with 60 Mbyte (Seagate) drive, CMS drivers.
It hummed, accessed the disk, and printed a speed number.  Then the
machine froze.  Mouse inactive (no cursor), no disk access, no
response to keyboard.  So, I reset the Mac.  It didn't boot because
THE BOOT TRACKS ON THE HARD DISK WERE ERASED OR CORRUPTED.
        There was apparently some data on the disk, but attempts
at recovery were not successful (didn't have Disk First Aid handy,
but Symantec Utilities found lots of files or fragments).  I ended
up reformatting.
        There was no warning of any special precautions needed, and
no way to abort the program once started.  No documentary warning
either, and IT ATE A HARD DISK.  This program is at the very least
unmannerly, and at worst a logic bomb.  Has it ever been known to
function?
        The file in question is in UTIL, and it should be sequestered
or tested or destroyed, in my opinion.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Jun 89 19:07:12 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Word 4.0

One improvement I've noticed is that Word now does a much better job
of handling margins in Word<->MacWrite conversions.
Unless I'm missing the obvious, it seems to me Microsoft put the "Number
From.." in the wrong place. It is in the document format menu, whereas in
the IBM Word 4.0, the same feature is under division format (the equivalent
on the Mac being "Section" format).  With "Number from" in document format,
how in the heck are you supposed to skip a few page numbers in the middle
of a document for later manual insertion of some figures?  On the IBM version
you just put in a division (section) break and change the "start number" for
that division.

And another thing.  I miss the [x] for clearing all tab stops - you are now
forced into doing it by choosing normal style, but this resets your font
and size to whatever you have "normal" set to.  The [x] in "short menus"
acts the same as selecting "normal" style in "full menus".

Overall though, Word 4.0 is a big improvement over Word 3.0x.  I really
can't see any reason not to use Word, except for people who need a smaller
program.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 89 09:41:15 ADT
From: Peter J Gergely <GERGELY@[192.12.62.20]>
Subject: Word 4.0 BugList 89/05/31

Bugs and requests for Microsoft Word 4.0. This file is in Word 4.0
format.
Please send reports and suggestions by US mail please. Please post this
file on any bulletin boards you frequent.
 This is the second edition dated May 31, 1989.

	- Peter

[Archived as /info-mac/report/msword-40-bugs.hqx; 22K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 May 89 10:18:32 EDT
From: man@cs.brown.edu
Subject: XCMD example in Think C

Several people have lately been wondering how to write an XCMD in Think C.
I have included the source for an XCMD which copies one file to another to
provide an example for people.  Included is also the C version of the Hypercard
glue routines (slightly modified for Think C) and the document describing how
to use them.  My next posting will contain the actual CopyFile XCMD.

	--Mark

[Archived as /info-mac/source/c/xcmd-example.hqx; 40K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 89 00:49 EDT
From: Greg Smith <SMITH%BKNLVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ZTerm 0.8

This is version 0.8 of ZTerm, by David P. Alverson.  ZTerm provides VT100
emulation and file transfers using X, Y, or Z Modem protocols.  ZTerm
also supports MacBinary transfers and CompuServe Quick-B.  The shareware
price is $30.00.  The StuffIt archive comes with the application and a
user manual.

+----------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Greg Smith                 | BITNET:   smith@bucknell.bitnet       |
| Systems Analyst            |           smith@bknlvms.bitnet        |
| Bucknell Computer Services | Internet: smith@bucknell.edu          |
| Bucknell University        |           smith@amethyst.bucknell.edu |
| Lewisburg, PA  17837       | AT&Tnet:  (717) 524-1801              |

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/zterm-08.hqx; 182K]

End of Info-Mac Digest