Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/15/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 14 Jun 89       Volume 7 : Issue 103

Today's Topics:
                    3270 access for networked Macs
      astronomy software: note my real address is FS300050@YUSOL
                             Bridge games
                          Cheap 800k drives.
                  Converting text files to MacWrite
                          DAmenuz .9976 BUG!
                             Folders XFCN
                          hypertalk question
                           IBM Mouse Balls
                             IBM Printer
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #100
                     Internal Drives for the Plus
 IPT's Personal Server Network (distributed peer-to-peer AppleShare)
    Library Stack for XMCD, XFCN, ICON, snd + associate resources.
                    Looking for the program ISETL
         MacinTalk Stack + Global Storage Facility for XCMD's
                          Modifed LaserPrep
               Need XMODEM, or YMODEM, or ZMODEM source
                           numeric keypads
                   Proposed XCode registry service.
                           Pub Domain OPS5
                         QuickBASIC, Anyone?
                               Request
                                Simon
                        XCMD Miscellany Stack

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Wed 07 Jun 1989 16:12 CDT
From: Fred Seaton - WIU  309/298-1681 <MUCM000%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: 3270 access for networked Macs

>Does anyone out there have any information on black boxes which might sit out
>on an ethernet and "serve" 3270 terminal communications over the network to
>distributed Macintoshes?  We'd like to avoid having 9 Mac workstations each
>have to have their own coax pulled from a controller to the workstation and
>its associated MacIRMA/MacMainFrame board, by having a multiport
>connection from the Ethernet to the controller and having the Macs access
>the Ethernetted multiport device.  I think such things exist for pcs on an
>Ethernet; how about for Macs?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>Ted

TriData Systems of Sunnyvale, CA, makes a box called the Netway 1000AE
that attached directly to LocalTalk (I'm not sure If they make an Ethernet
version or not) and host up to 16 sessions to the mainframe.  They have
software for Macs and PCs on Localtalk.  The box lists for about $4000, so
that comes out to about $250 per Mac (and the more macs you have on your net,
the more you an spread the cost).  When I saw them at the Mac Connectivity
Conference, they were offering to let people try it out for 30 days.

Give them a call.  800-TRI-DATA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 89 12:03 EDT
From: MCCALL%QUASAR@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: astronomy software: note my real address is FS300050@YUSOL

Recently, there was a request on Info-Mac for information about
astronomy software.  I made a similar request some time ago, so
I thought it was time I conveyed what I have learned.

First, I have been using "Voyager: The Desktop
Planetarium" with a Mac SE/30, both for fun and for educational
demonstrations (with an nView Viewframe II+2).  Voyager is an
outstanding piece of software.  Besides enabling one to look at
the sky at any time from any place in the solar system
at any speed, it is possible to examine the orbital motions of all
the planets and one extra body of choice (the orbit can be programmed).
>From the standpoint of a university educator, Voyager is revolutionary.
A wide variety of astronomical concepts can now be ANIMATED in the
classroom.  Furthermore, the program is so well designed that the
keyboard isn't even necessary.  It is possible to execute classroom
demonstrations under mouse control only, so the keyboard need not
be carried to class.  More comprehensive reviews of Voyager have
appeared in Sky and Telescope and MacWorld.  At the price of $100,
you can't go wrong.  Buy it from Carina Software, 830 Williams St.,
San Leandro, CA 94577, 415-352-7328.

Second, Professor Larry Staunton at Drake University has developed several
astronomical demonstrations in Basic.  After some frustration with Fortran,
he chose Basic because of its speed, graphics capabilities, and accessibility
to students.  The user interface is simple
and the animation effective.  Demonstrations include Kepler's Laws,
retrograde motion, and two and three body orbits.
His software may be used as a template for
developing further demonstrations (I plan to develop one to demonstrate
parallax and proper motion).  A brief description of his work appears
in Wheels of the Mind, Vol. 4, No. 2, 1988.  For more information,
contact Larry Staunton, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Drake
University, Des Moines, Iowa 50311, 515-271-3033, Bitnet LS7301R@DRAKE.

That's the limit of what I know now.  Presently, I am looking
into using VideoWorks II and Wingz for further development of
animated demonstrations.  Any more information about astronomical
software or software which might be applicable for developing
astronomical demonstrations is always appreciated.  My address is
Marshall McCall, Department of Physics, York University,
4700 Keele Street, North York, Ontario M3J1P3, Canada, 416-736-2100x3773,
Bitnet FS300050@YUSOL.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 89 08:05:56 CET
From: "Willem N. Ellis" <A429WILL%HASARA11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Bridge games

Hello MacWorld

A friend of mine, who does not have access to the net, asked me to inform
about the availability of bridge games for the Mac (SE), preferably following
the ACOL bidding system. He possesses Artworks 5.0, but this seems to be
very unsatisfactory.

Please answer directly, as I don't wish to clog the mail with this sort of
stuff. If I get interesting replies I'll send a summary.

Many thanks!

Willem Ellis
a429will@hasara11.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed 07 Jun 1989 16:28 CDT
From: Fred Seaton - WIU  309/298-1681 <MUCM000%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Cheap 800k drives.

Has anyone has any experiece with those cheap 800k drives on the market from
Cutting Edge?  I see most the mailorder places are selling them for $175.
We're putting in a lab of 10 Mac Plus' ( :-(, I wish there were SEs or SE/30s!)
and we're planning on purchasing 10 of these for student use.

Any known problems?  incompatibilities?  failures?  etc.

Thanks in advance,

Fred Seaton
Academic Computing
Western Illinois University
Macomb, IL  61455
MUCM000@ECNCDC.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Jun 89 15:00:51 EDT
From: David Rubin <RUBIN@graf.poly.edu>
Subject: Converting text files to MacWrite

First off, I am not a Mac user so please excuse any unfamiliarity.

A user is trying to upload a text file to his Mac from a UNIX machine
using Kermit.  He then wishes to edit the file using MacWrite.  We are
able to upload the file using Red Ryder without a problem.  We then
open the file under MacWrite, and it supposedly will convert it to the
proper format.  This sort of works, but we get a lot of extra characters
after each line (they show up on MacWrite as boxes).  When we open the
file, MacWrite asks if a new-line should be treated as a paragraph or
line break.  Whichever one we choose, we still get those boxes.

I assume these "boxes" are strange control characters or something.  I
would like to know if there is a better way to get an uploaded text file
converted to MacWrite format (or possibly some other popular word processor).

Please respond only via E-Mail, since I am not a member of this discussion
list.  Thanks in advance for any help...

David Rubin                        |     INTERNET: RUBIN@graf.poly.edu
Polytechnic University             |       BITNET: RUBIN@POLYGRAF
Brooklyn, NY                       |

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Jun 89 11:06 CDT
From: <BMC4841%TAMVENUS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DAmenuz .9976 BUG!

There seems to be a problem with DAmenuz v.9976.  When trying to run MAC Tools
v7.2 a dialog box appears saying something about the a minimum configuration
updater being used for system update.... RESTART!

Well, I've been using system 6.02 for months now with HierDAs v.9967 and had
no problems at all.

Any ideas?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 89 15:33:58 EDT
From: "Darryl E. Marsee" <demarsee@suvm.acs.syr.edu>
Subject: Folders XFCN

Does anyone know of a HyperCard XFCN that will return the name of a
folder given it's alphabetical sequence number in the directory of it's
parental folder?  For example, if I have a disk called 123 on which
there is a folder A that contains folders B, D, and E, I would like the
following results:

                 FOLDERNAME("123:A",1) = "B"
                 FOLDERNAME("123:A",2) = "D"
                 FOLDERNAME("123:A",3) = "E"
                 FOLDERNAME("123:A",anythingelse) = ""

Many Thanks & Regards,

Darryl Marsee
Syracuse University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 89 12:02:29 CST
From: Steve Middlebrook <C94882SM%WUVMD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: hypertalk question

Inside a script, how can I tell if the menubar is shown or hidden?
GET VISIBLE OF MENUBAR dies a big death.  My several reference books
are silent on this.

stm

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 89 16:23 EST
From: REWING%TRINCC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: IBM Mouse Balls

I thogt all of you might get a kick out of this memo, which was forwarded
to me today.

Sub:    Big Blue Mouse Balls!!!

FILE: MOUSE BALLS AO (IGL191) 05/05/89 06:28:03                         PAGE 1

ESD PRODUCT SERVICE SUPPORT
SUBJECT:NEW RETAIN TIP

Hi,

The following was forwarded to me by a friend who used to work at Big Blue and
was given this by a Big Blue friend who found it in the IBM service manual.
This was actually put into the manual as a serious bulletin!  Enjoy it!!!

Record number: H031944
Device:D/T8550
Model: M
Hlt count:           UHCOOOOO
Success count:       USCOOOOO
Publlcation code:    PC50
Tip key:             025
Date created:        089/02/14
Date last altered:   A89/02/15
Owning B.U.:         USA

Abstract: MOUSE BALLS NOW AVAILABLE AS FRU (Field Replacable Unit)

TEXT:

MOUSE BALLS ARE NOW AVAILABLE AS A FRU. IF A MOUSE FAILS TO OPERATE,OR SHOULD
PERFORM ERRATICALLY,IT MAY BE IN NEED OF BALL REPLACEMENT.BECAUSE OF THE
DELICATE NATURE OF THIS PROCEDURE,REPLACEMENT OF MOUSE BALLS SHOULD BE
ATTEMPTED BY TRAINED PERSONNEL ONLY.

BEFORE ORDERING,DETERMINE TYPE OF MOUSE BALLS REQUIRED BY EXAMINING THE
UNDERSIDE OF EACH MOUSE.DOMESTIC BALLS WILL BE LARGER AND HARDER THAN FOREIGN
BALLS. BALL REMOVAL PROCEDURES DIFFER,DEPENDING UPON MANUFACTURER OF THE MOUSE.
FOREIGN BALLS CAN BE REPLACED USING THE POP-OFF METHODJ AND DOMESTIC BALLS
REPLACED USING THE TWIST-OFF METHOD. MOUSE BALLS ARE NOT USUALLY STATIC
SENSITIVE,HOWEVER,EXCESSIVE HANDLING CAN RESULT IN SUDDEN DISCHARGE. UPON
COMPLETION OF BALL REPLACEMENT,THE MOUSE MAY BE USED IMMEDIATELY.

IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT EACH SERVICER HAVE A PAIR OF BALLS FOR MAINTAINING
OPTIMUM CUSTOMER SATISFACTION,AND THAT ANY CUSTOMER MISSING HIS BALLS SHOULD
SUSPECT LOCAL PERSONNEL OF REMOVING THESE NECESSARY FUNCTIONAL ITEMS.

P/N33F846Z -- DOMESTIC MOUSE BALLS
P/N33F8461 -- FOREIGN MOUSE BALLS

SAS KEYWORDS:

PSY2              8525SYSMISC 8530SYSMISC 8550SYSMISC
8560SYSMISC      8570SYSMISC 8580SYSMISC

USERID (RSSTEWART) NODEID (BCRVMl)
INT.ZIP 1225, DEPT 2AW, TL 443-4597 (407-443-4597)
ESD PRODUCT SERVICE SUPPORT,BOCA RATON,FL.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Jun 89 19:10:30 EST
From: Alan Stein <STEIN%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: IBM Printer

  I've been offered an ancient (circa 1981) IBM 5242 printer which was
originally connected to an IBM System/23.  It would be nice to be able
to connect it to a Mac plus and dedicate it to mailing labels, but I
have little information about it and don't want to spend a lot of time
checking it out with no assurance of it working.  Has anyone had any
experience with that dinosaur?
  My Mac is connected to an Appletalk network (including a Laserwriter
and Imagewriter II, but I hate using the Imagewriter for labels), so
the 5242 would probably have to be connected through the modem port.

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
University of Connecticut  | ...psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
32 Hillside Avenue         |
Waterbury, CT 06710        | Compu$erve  71545,1500
(203) 757-1231             | GEnie       ah.stein

------------------------------

Date: 7 Jun 89 12:37:00 EST
From: "J O GARTLEY" <gartley@aldncf.alcoa.com>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #100

Interpoll 1.0 problem with SE/30 can be fixed by upgrading to interpoll 1.0.1

-------

SuperClock 3.3, I just wanted to confirm that I have have bombs also when using
this version.

-------

Gartley@aldncf.alcoa.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu 08 Jun 1989 11:06 CDT
From: Fred Seaton - WIU  309/298-1681 <MUCM000%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Internal Drives for the Plus

The  May 9th issue of MacWeek had an article (page 3) called "Internal drives
for the Plus".  It says Integrated Data Sotrage Systems Inc.  of San Jose  CA
(408-441-0500)  is  selling  Seagate  and  Conner  drives  with  the hardware
necessary for mounting in the Mac Plus.  Has anyone had any experiences  with
doing  this?    They're  only  supposed to consume 7 to 9 watts and raise the
internal temp by 1 to 2 degrees.

Does anyone have any experiences with this product line?  The 40mb model uses
a CONNER mechanism with a 5 year warantee.  I'm not familiar with this drive.
Any comments on it?

Thanks,

mucm000@ecncdc.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Jun 89 03:16:48 -0500
From: spector@vx2.gba.nyu.edu (David HM Spector)
Subject: IPT's Personal Server Network (distributed peer-to-peer AppleShare)

(I wrote this to comp.sys.mac last week. So far, it is still accurate.)

After some delays, I finally received the IPT software today. Its official
name is "IPT Personal Server Network."

I have just started to play with it. It is very very rough around the
edges, but the important point is that it appears to work! Sometime next
week I will post my benchmark suite, and results for AppleShare and IPT-PSN.
Novell results will follow a bit later.

The title of this (and my earlier) article says "this month."  From the
state of the software, I'd say that that's an overoptimistic estimate, but
not by a whole lot. I'd guess early June.

So far, there don't seem to be any conflicts with the DeskTop Manager INIT
with it running on _both_ the server and the client. I don't know how it
would behave in a mix-and-match environment but I expect it would be OK.

Memory consumption on the server machine appears to be minimal. I've noted
RAM usage increasing by 30-50K with the server active (this is quite a bit
less than TOPS, for example) but I have not done extensive tests on this yet.

The user interface of the administrator program is where the rough edges
come in. It's quite ugly and there are a few visual anamolies. Still, I am
very encouraged by their response to my bug reports, since they are generally
of the form "Wow, I'm glad you found that, we'll fix it right away."  For
those of you who remember my article about Beta-testing, this is a company
that apparently knows how to do Betas right.

Have a good weekend, more will follow next week.

---
Alexis Rosen
temporarily at spector@vx2.gba.nyu.edu
alexis@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  (last resort)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 89 16:48:09 BST
From: np%doc.imperial.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Subject: Library Stack for XMCD, XFCN, ICON, snd + associate resources.

This stack is a library for you to keep all your XCMD, XFCN, ICON, snd
and CURS resources in. You can copy resources from other stacks
(or applications) into the library and paste them from the library
into other stacks. XCMD, XFCN and snd's each have their own description
card, ICON and CURS are stored 20 per card. All XCMD/XFCNs used by this
stack are included in the library descriptions, these are ResHandle - for
resource copying/renaming/deleting/listing/ICN#->ICON conversion etc.,
SortLines - for sorting the lines of a field and StandardFile - for
StandardFile get/put dialogs.
Copyright FreeWare, no commercial use without agreement. Enjoy.

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/resource-library.hqx; 98K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Jun 89 16:32:53 CDT
From: jaf@wucs1.wustl.edu (Andy Fingerhut)
Subject: Looking for the program ISETL

There is a program which deals with sets, tuples, and other discrete
mathematics structures called ISETL.  According to a book I have seen
(which describes how to use it.  I don't remember the title or author),
there is a Mac version which comes with source and manual, and it is
freely copyable and available to all.  I haven't seen it in any archives
anywhere.  If someone has a copy, I think that it would make a fine
addition to the sumex archives.  I would very much like a copy of this
program.

Andy Fingerhut				|  Look towards tomorrow,
jaf@wucs1.wustl.edu			| 'cause the past is gone
Washington University, St. Louis MO	|	-- Randy Stonehill

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 89 16:37:44 BST
From: np%doc.imperial.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Subject: MacinTalk Stack + Global Storage Facility for XCMD's

This posting contains two stacks (a) a MacinTalk stack (b) a stack
containing XCMD & XPRC's which provide a global variable storage
service for XCMD/XFCN's.
(a) MacinTalk: This stack provides and interface to MacinTalk,
a simple "Speak and Spell" example is given and a card to explore
MacinTalk's phonetic system. The stack also XCMD/XFCN's to enable
events to be generate for ANY key and to read/set the volume level.
(b) Globals: This provides a service to other XCMD/XFCN's by allowing
them to store global values between calls. The interface is via an
XPRC (my restype short for eXternal PRoCedure) which is called from
your XCMD/XFCN to request/access your own private global storage.
This facility is used by the MacinTalk interface to save internal state
between calls to the speech XCMD. There are seperate XPRC for C and Pascal
and sample LSC code to show their use.
Both stacks Copyright FreeWare, no commercial use with agreement. Enjoy.

UK Mac'ers: This file may be obtained from the sumex shadow archive
at irlearn, fileserv%irlearn@earn-relay from JANET.

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/macintalk-stack.hqx; 47K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 06 Jun 1989 22:51 CDT
From: Fred Seaton - WIU  309/298-1681 <MUCM000%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Modifed LaserPrep

I saw this on the appletalk discussion group.  Would someone with FTP ability
(I wish I were on Internet :-(  ) like to get the program he mentions and
post it to this list (so it can get on MACSERVE@PUCC!).

thanks... Fred

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Jun 89 08:18 CDT
From: B609CSE%UTARLG@uta.edu
Subject: Need XMODEM, or YMODEM, or ZMODEM source

Does anyone know where C source (preferably LSC 3) for
XMODEM, or YMODEM, or ZMODEM is? No I am not writing
YACTE, just a lit'l DA to automatically upload postscript.

Thanks.

Jeef Smith
B609CSE@UTARLG

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Jun 89 11:52 CDT
From: John DeSoi <john@murph.tamu.edu>
Subject: numeric keypads

Does anyone know of a source for those stand-alone numeric keypads that
used to be available for the Mac 128K and 512K?  Or maybe a source for
used Mac+ keyboards?  Will a Mac+ keyboard work properly with a 128K and
512K (I assume it will work with a 512KE)?  Thanks.

John F. DeSoi

Laboratory for Software Research
Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas  77843-3112
(409) 845-4306
INTERNET: desoi@cssun.tamu.edu
BITNET:   jfd5947@tamvenus

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Jun 89 13:19 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen - Micro Specialist)
Subject: Proposed XCode registry service.

Greetings:

There are many, many fine XCMDs and XFCNs on various nets and developer stacks,
and I compliment all of the "hackers" who have spent hours putting them
together.

The problem is, there seems to be noone who is taking/accepting responsiblity
for the registration/assignment of names for these things.  This results in two
problems:
    1) Several similar Xcode resources have been "published" by different
       authors who have choosen identical names for their work. I spent
       much time trying recently to get COPYFILE to work, only to discover
       that the syntax I was using, and being told to use, was for the
       COPYFILE _XFCN_ and I was using the COPYFILE _XCMD_!  I also have two
       different DELETEFILE xcode resources, etc.

    2) X-code authors are not receive their due credits because it is so easy
       to lose track of where a particular x-code came from.

I propose, if it doesn't already exist, a central registry of x-code.  I know
about various depositories (sumex@aim for example) and I am NOT proposing to
duplicate that function.  Only the function of registering names, authors,
versions, and sources for these things.

I would be happy to serve as the moderator, although my BITNET only connection
might be limiting (?).

What I envision is a simple list of these things with the other information as
deemed appropriate in a stack that would be available for downloading over the
net.  A "New XCode" bulletin would be issued whenever a new resource is
registered.  Every month or so the new resources would be incorporated into the
stack.  Again, This stack would not contain any code resources, just the
information about them.

So, whaddayasay?

If it sounds good, let's do it... or has someone already?

Peter Jorgensen
Microcomputer specialist
Colgate University - Hamilton, NY 13346
AppleLink - U0523
BITNET - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU
tel - 315-824-1000 ext 742

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Jun 89 09:17:28 EST
From: jsmith@ctc.contel.com (James T. Smith)
Subject: Pub Domain OPS5

Where can I find a public domain OPS5 (CMU's expert system shell) for
the Mac ?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Jun 89 17:59:15 PDT
From: siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Anthony E. Siegman)
Subject: QuickBASIC, Anyone?

Anyone else out there using Microsoft QuickBASIC as a Mac programming
environment?

Are there any user groups or on-line forums that focus on QBASIC?

-Tony Siegman, Stanford University
-siegman@sierra.stanford.edu  or   rw.aap@forsythe.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 89 14:56 CDT
From: APL%ccm.UManitoba.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Request

Since I don't have the ability to, could someone please download the
file VISIONLAB10.HQX from HUBCAP.CLEMSON.EDU and place it in the
Info-Mac Archives?

Thanks...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Jun 89 20:25:46 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Simon

Here is the cdev Simon, which lets you change the standard Mac date
format.  Be warned that some programs may no longer sort by date
correctly after changing format.  This is version 1.0.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/simon.hqx; 13K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 89 17:00:05 BST
From: np%doc.imperial.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Subject: XCMD Miscellany Stack

This stack contains two XCMD's:
*	PopupField: Ths XCMD given a file description will draw
	frontmost window the same size and position as the field
	and containg the same text. The style of the window depends
	on the style of the field, all standard window types (document,
	alert, dialog, round corner etc.) are supported. the source field
	need not be visible. the window remains until a mouse click.
*	SetCursor: USE AT APPLES WRATH! This XCMD allows you to move
	the cursor around and even disconnect it from the mouse...
	Tested only on a Mac+ Sys 6.0.2, should work on others (its plays
	with undocumented low-memory globals, tut, tut!)
Copyright FreeWare. No commercial use without agreement. Enjoy.

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/xcmd-popupfield-setcursor.hqx; 11K]

End of Info-Mac Digest