Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 15:14:36 GMT
From: "J.M.L.Martin" <LUCTHSCH%BDILUC11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Bug in Flashwrite 1.0

I just downloaded the Flashwrite 1.0 CDEV from the Info-Mac archives.
It's a dandy little thing, but it contains one 'undocumented feature' which
is somewhat annoying to me: when you hold down the Command key to bypass
the Multifinder on startup, Flashwrite shows its INIT icon, but is not avail-
able for use. I use a Mac SE/30 with 4 MB of RAM and an extended keyboard.
I am currently running System Software 6.0.2 (SE configuration). I tried
6.0.3 (Dutch version): same thing. Perhaps it's quite easy for the programmer
to iron this out (I don't quite see why anyone would want to bypass INITing
Flashwrite|).

                              Jan M.L.Martin
                              Quantum Chemistry
                              Department SBM
                              Limburgs Universitair Centrum
                              Universitaire Campus
                              B-3610 Diepenbeek
                              Belgium
                              LUCTHSCH@BDILUC11.BITNET

Disclaimer: IBM just changed its name. It's no longer: Italian Branch of
            the Mafia, now it's called: I'd Buy Macintosh.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 11:20:13 CDT
From: Tom Eskridge <eskridge@austin.lockheed.com>
Subject: ethernet board in MacII

We have an AUX MacII w/ and ethernet board, but we are not running AUX
because of it's size and utility (or lack of).  My question is how can
we access the ethernet without AUX?  Any PD software out there for doing
this?

Cheers,
Tom Eskridge

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 08:56:54 PDT
From: Mike_Dustan@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: How do I get side-by-side...?

Yes, it can be done. It's roundabout, probably because Microsoft
really thinks you should use tables for the kind of thing you
usually do with Side-By-Side. However, here's how:

1. Get Full Menus showing if they aren't already; choose Full
   Menus from the Edit menu.

2. Choose Commands... from the Edit menu. This puts up a dialog
   box of every command that Word can possibly execute (and an
   impressive list it is, too.)

3. Find Side By Side (good thing they're in alphabetical order).
   Click on it, then click on the Add button near where it says
   Menus. By default it will drop into the Format menu but you
   could put it anywhere you want. Now you have Side-by-Side as a
   menu-selectable command.

Your menu configuration is saved as part of the Word Settings
file, so your command will be there every time you start Word.
Explore the Commands dialog box to find out how to add your own
keyboard shortcuts, move commands around and so on.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 09:52:56 MDT
From: "Bruce A. Carter" <DUSCARTE@idbsu.idbsu.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #107

Regarding the request for a clarification of LaserWriter 6.0 problems, I
was not aware that there was more than one version of the 6.0 drivers.  I
downloaded the new set, along with the Apple Color Disk material from
AppleLink shortly after they first became available.  I am not aware of a
good way to identify the problem drivers other than to draw something in
SuperPaint with parts in both the paint and draw layers and then try to
print it.  It will (or at least has for us and apparently several other
SuperPaint users) either print a blank page, or it will generate a PostScript
error.

Silicon Beach has since sent us a replacement SuperPaint 2.0 which works
fine.

We have also subsequently discovered that material in Aldus Pagemaker that
is near the edge of the page will not print with our 6.0 drivers while it
prints fine with the level 5 drivers.  Maybe we need a new set of level 6.0
drivers since I was not aware there was an update (and apparently with no
version number change... I hate that).

 BRUCE A. CARTER                         |    OFFICE:  (208) 385-1250 /
  COURSEWARE DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR     |  MESSAGE:  (208) 385-1433 /
  > BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY, 1910 UNIVERSITY DRIVE, BOISE, ID   83725 <
 / BITNET: DUSCARTE@IDBSU          INTERNET: DUSCARTE@IDBSU.IDBSU.EDU
/ APPLELINK: U0919        CIS: 76666,511       PLATO: CARTER/IDAHO/PCA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 13:52 PST
From: <TEMPLE%UCRVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: LSpeed C/Macintalk Question

I would like to play with the Macintalk library that is included with the
Light Speed C package, but the macintalk.h header file is nowhere to be
found.
Could someone either point me in the right direction or send me a copy
of the header? I've looked at the program NUMBERTALK, but the header
had been stripped from the project before it was uploaded.

My thanks in advance,

roBert P. Templeton
Department of Sociology
University of California, Riverside

BITNET: TEMPLE@UCRVMS

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 10:48:15 EDT
From: Jim Burns <jab@VLSI.LL.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Poisson's Equation

I would appreciate knowing what programs are available for the MAC
which solve the 2-dimensional Poisson's equations for heat flow and
electrostatic applications.
J. Burns
jab@ll-vlsi.arpa

------------------------------

Date: 22 Jun 89  1315 PDT
From: Arthur Keller <ARK@sail.stanford.edu>
Subject: Printing Excel Formulas

Excel (and other spreadsheets) normally display the formula only of the
current cell.  To check a spreadsheet's worth of formulas or to teach
someone how to use a spreadsheet technique or for documentation, it would
be useful to be able to print all of the formulas corresponding to a
spreadsheet.

Does anyone have or know of a program that can take a Excel format file or
SYLK file and print out the formulas in it?

Arthur

------------------------------

Date: 22 Jun 89 18:16:52 GMT
From: pweent@spanglebaby.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Pro-Cite demo disks, PBS in general

There is a Pro-Cite sampler disk which is free for the asking (call or write
address below), as well as a demo disk.  The sampler comes with a brochure
and allows you to navigate a sample database.  The demo package includes
the full documentation and a fully featured version of Pro-Cite that will
only allow each database to have 32 records.

Personal Bibliographic Software also has availiable 'Biblio-Links' to
several popular online services (Dialog, Knowledge Index, BRS, Medline, etc)
and this fall we will be release Pro-Search, a searching and navigating
front end to DIALOG.

For more information, a free sample disk, etc, call:

313/996-1580 and ask for Product Support.

or write:
Personal Bibliographic Software, Inc
PO Box 4250
Ann Arbor, MI  48106

ps - all the above products are also available for MS-DOS.

-----

Brian Hall

Internet:   pweent@spanglebaby.cc.umich.edu (preferred)
AppleLink:  D0017 (shared)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 13:12:59 EDT
From: jonathan@starbase.mitre.org (Jonathan Leblang)
Subject: side-by-side paragraphs in MSWord 4.0

You can select the side-by-side format for paragraphs in MSWord 4.0 by
using the commands item under the edit menu.  If you use this format
often, you can add side-by-side to any menu. (why are you using side-by-
side, you can use tables and make your life much easier).

Jonathan A. Leblang         jonathan@mitre.org
The MITRE Corporation       7525 Colshire Drive McLean VA  22102
                            703 883 5761

------------------------------

Date: 22 Jun 89   14:46 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: SoftPC mini-review

Date: 22 June 1989, 14:12:04 EST
>From: WMLBTAM at UCCCVM1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU

I got a note from Jan Erik Mostr|m <jem@sm.luth.se>, and thought
others might have been interested in my answer.  Jan Erik, I hope
you don't mind...

>I saw in you article that you have used SoftPC. One of user wants to
>have access to PC programs and is considering to buy SoftPC.
>I would be grateful if you could answer som questions.
>
>Does it work with all DOS programs ?  Is it very slow ?  How much
>memory is required ?  Is it expensive ?  What would you recommend,
>SoftPC or a PC clone ?

We felt SoftPC was the better choice for us over the AST card.  Not everyone
will have the same set of circumstances we found ourselves in, though.

First, we knew were going to have to buy MS-DOS compatibility, one way or
ther other.  Second, we were comparing Multifinder and OS/2, not Multifinder
and MS-DOS, so we were looking at SoftPC-or-AST vs. OS/2-MSDOS-Compatibility-
Box.

For other reasons, we were leaning toward the Mac (user interface, Multi-
finder's ability to manage multiple "concurrent" communications sessions
with existing off-the-shelf software, etc.).  In looking at SoftPC vs. AST,
we considered how we needed to be able to use MS-DOS.  For the networked
Macs we were installing, we wanted people to be able to bring MS-DOS data
files they'd created elsewhere and bring them into the Mac environment
(even to the point of touching them up with MS-DOS applications at that
site) but did not want them to necessarily use the Mac workstations to do
the bulk of their MS-DOS work.  Therefore, speed became less of an issue.
Furthermore, we had decided that, because of peripheral card options, we
would be using Mac IIs instead of SEs.  This gave us at least a 68020 pro-
cessor, which helped, speed-wise.

The AST-86 board for the SE gives you an 8MHz PC in a Mac, so far as I
recollect.  The AST-286 board for the Mac II gives you an 8MHz AT in a Mac,
so far as I recollect.  SoftPC gives you a 4.77MHz PC in a Mac.  You can
theoretically run Windows-286 on an AST-286 (!?) but not under SoftPC.

SoftPC requires approx. 2Meg, although there is a "smaller" version, also
shipped, which doesn't run quite as fast (I think it sets up caches or other
buffers to try to speed things along, in the larger version).  It's the
smaller version which is 4.77MHz-like, I think, although I'm not sure.
Over here, it only costs a few hundred dollars ($260 University price seems
to stick in my mind...) as compared to almost $1000 for the AST-286 board.
We didn't feel that for us, the price/performance ratio was favorable for
the AST board--but I've outlined how little MS-DOS processing we hope to be
doing on our Macs.

If you figure that a PC clone, plus LocalTalk adapter board, will cost lots
more than SoftPC and almost certainly still more than an AST-286, I'd go with
the Mac-plus-MS-DOS-emulator before I'd go with Mac-plus-PC-clone.  If the
"production" MS-DOS processing requirement fits your situation, you will
probably be better off with the AST-286 and a Mac II/IIx/IIcx.  If you're
buying into the SE/SE/30 environment, where you have a choice of SoftPC vs.
AST-86, I think >I< would buy the SE/30-plus-SoftPC and extra memory for the
SE/30...others may prefer the AST-86 option especially if your looking only
at SEs and not SE/30s.

We've gotten SoftPC to work with almost everything we've tried.  The only
exceptions were real hacks to begin with (e.g., we couldn't get an MS-DOS
bibliographic CD-ROM search engine to read a CD-ROM in the Apple CD ROM
drive, although SoftPC could read the directory of the disk itself, etc.--
because the search engine wanted an Microsoft CD-ROM Extensions device
driver, and SoftPc itself was content to go through the BIOS, where the
Mac handled hooking up to the Drive and disk sucessfully).  Flight Simulator
RUNS under SoftPC (but it's slooooooow).  So do dBASE III+, Lotus 1-2-3,
WordStar, WordPerfect, DataEase, etc., etc., etc.

I hope this helps.  Best of luck!

Ted

"Message?  What message?"
Theodore A. Morris, Univ. of Cincinnati|513-558-6046          AppleLink: U1091
Med Ctr Information & Communications   |Bitnet: WMLBTAM @ UCCCVM1  NTS: WB8VNV
231 Bethesda Avenue, Mail Location #574|======================================
Cincinnati, OH  45267-0574             |"Call me up and I'll talk data to ya'"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 11:49:28 MET
From: Ger Groothuijsen <U070022%HNYKUN11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: strange output

Hello Macfans,

Last week I detected that output from my ImageWriter II printer (its
connected to an SE with 2 Mb RAM and 40 Mb HDU, System 6.0.2) contained
some characters that I didn't put in the text.
In MacPaint output appeared the character "f" at the right side of the
picture at irregular intervals (at least I didn't discover any regularity).
In MacWrite text appeared the characters "KO". Always at the end of lines,
also in irregular intervals.
This strange "printer behaviour" dit not happen with newly produced text
but only with existing text files. Paint files I didn't yet check.
The first time I noticed these things was when I used the Full Write
Professional demo from Ashton Tate.

Does anyone recognize the above?

Ger Groothuijsen,
PC Support, University of Nijmegen