Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/24/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 23 Jun 89       Volume 7 : Issue 111

Today's Topics:
                            Administrivia
                      [Printing Excel Formulas]
           American-Made Macs in Europe: summary of replies
                     CAD Program for Boat Design
                            Copying Files
                     Core War beta-testers wanted
               Custom bibliography entries in FullWrite
                          FastBack II query
                          Hard Drive Quality
                       help with "xxx.Z" files
                        HyperDA and SuperCard
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #109
                   Kensington Turbo Mouse ... Plus?
                         Leading Clock Zeros
                     Little black bands fixed (?)
                           Need FTP for Mac
                   Printing Excel Formulae -- Reply
                   Printing Excel Formulas (2 msgs)
                              sick Plus
                           Startup palette
                              SuperCard
                           TeX Preview Demo

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1989 20:19:52 PDT
From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Administrivia

I have created a new directory called "apple". This directory contains
hallowed binaries direct from Apple Computer. It is divided into four
subdirectories: code, docs, stacks, and tn. The old tn directory no longer
exists.

Stacks contains a more up-to-date version of the Technical Notes stack, as
well as the Questions and Answers stack for all of those commonly asked
programming questions.

Tn contains the latest set of notes (which I think we had already).

Docs contains various revisions to Inside Macintosh (ie Sound and Script
Manager chapters) and some miscellaneous stuff I hadn't seen before.

Code contains sample code from Apple. Many of the routines seem quite
interesting. Check it out!

The names in these directories follow Apple's conventions rather than those
of Info-Mac. For example, there can be more than one period in a file name.
I left them this way in order to avoid retyping millions of names. If someone
wants to come up with a Unix script that renames files in a given directory
>From (say) "tn.stack.3.1.part1.hqx" to "tn-stack-31-part1.hqx", we'd sure like
to see it! Also the names of tech notes have changed from tn001.hqx to
tn.001.hqx.

Hopefully we will be able to restore the old file name scheme pretty soon,
because if we don't, some non-Unix shadow archives will be out of luck.

Bill Lipa
Info-Mac

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 11:33:41 BST
From: Brian Candler <BTC10%phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: [Printing Excel Formulas]

You can do this in Excel! (Version 1.5 anyway...)

Select "Display..." from the "Options" menu, and check "Formulas". All cells
will have their formulas displayed on-screen. Unfortunately you have to set
the column widths (but this should be an advantage, as a complete set of column
widths are kept for the formulas view as well as the data view, so you can
switch between them).

------------------------------

Date: 22 Jun 89 22:35:00 EST
From: "JEFF TEMPLON" <templon@venus.iucf.indiana.edu>
Subject: American-Made Macs in Europe: summary of replies

This is a summary posting of replies I received to the question:

	"What is involved in taking an American Mac to Europe
		and using it there?"

Thanks to all who responded.

				Jeff Templon
			Indiana University Cyclotron Facility

[Archived as /info-mac/report/american-macs-in-europe.txt; 11K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 10:12 EDT
From: Matthew Wall <WALL%brandeis.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: CAD Program for Boat Design

Another one of my requests for information about obscure Macintosh software...
I have a friend who's new to computing and wants to buy a Mac.  He's setting up
his own business designing and building small sailboats. He's certain he's
heard of an excellent CAD program for the Mac that's specifically for boat
design.

I have searched all the trades, the Buyer's Guide, etc., looking for evidence
of this program, without effect. My request:

1) does anybody know of such a program or relevant info about software
companies doing similar things?

2) is there anybody out there using Macs for boat design or knows of somebody
whom I might refer my friend to?

This is important, because his wife is lobbying for a PC instead !! (8-)

Again a thousand thanks in advance...

Matt Wall
Brandeis University
WALL@BRANDEIS.bitnet
Disclaimer: Diogenes
Drink: Black Coffee
Novel Most Recently Read: SPSS-X User's Guide
Saying: ``Mmmph.''

------------------------------

Date: Fri 23 Jun 89 11:28:17-EDT
From: Rick Greenawalt <RGREENAWALT@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu>
Subject: Copying Files

I am working on a project in which I need to take a list of files and copy
them from one volume to another.  Is there a simple/standard way to get the
files and their attendent resources to the desktop of the second volume?

Thanks in advance.

Rick Greenawalt
rpg@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
Apple-Link: R6406
-------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 22:46:49 PDT
From: Jon Newman <newman@portia.stanford.edu>
Subject: Core War beta-testers wanted

I am reworking the Robert Martin Core War simulator to meet the new ICWS '88
standards, and also to improve its performance and interface.  For those of you
who are unfamiliar with Core War, it is "the ultimate game for hackers,"
described by A. K. Dewdney in his Computer Recreations article in Scientific
American.  In this game, rival programs in the Core War language attempt to oust
one another from the core of a simulated computer.  Three contests have been
held pitting rival programs from as far away as the Soviet Union against one
another.  This Macintosh simulator should prove helpful for Core War programmers
tired of the poor interface of the PC McDaniels simulator, while providing full
compatibility with the latest Core War language standard and hopefully
improving the speed of the Robert Martin simulator.

Those wishing to become beta sites should send EMAIL to
newman@portia.stanford.edu,
or better yet, send snail mail to
Jon Newman
1809 Imperial Ridge
Las Cruces, NM 88001.
I will probably have left the Bay Area by the time a first beta version is
ready, but I will send the program myself.  I don't want money, just bug reports
and suggestions!  Victory in Core!

Jon Newman

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 02:40:02 EDT
From: levine@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jonathan Levine)
Subject: Custom bibliography entries in FullWrite

Is there any way to modify reference styles in FullWrite?  I need to be able to
reference in APA format: (Name date) in the text, and Name date.  Title, etc. in .
in the reference list.

         Jonathan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 13:03:57 PDT
From: TOLLIVER%ORN.MFENET@ccc.mfecc.llnl.gov
Subject: FastBack II query

Has anyone out there seen/used the new FastBack II? What do you think of
it compared to the other products on the market? I know that MacUser just
had an article on backup programs, but, as usual, the information content
was rather low. Besides, they were using the original FastBack, not the II
version. I have recently evaluated Redux 1.5, DiskFit 1.5, and HFS Backup
3.0 and have almost settled on Redux as the best fit for my needs. But now
I see the new ads for the new FastBack II and might be convinced to change
my mind. So I'm collecting opinions of anyone who cares to respond.

Thanks,
John Tolliver (Tolliver%atf.mfenet@nmfecc.llnl.gov)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 18:58 EDT
From: <BMEDIRAT%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hard Drive Quality

        Well, with regards to my previous question about hard drive quality,
thanks to all the people who sent me a letter.  Here's my summary of the
results:

        CMS Engineering:  Two of the people who responded are on their THIRD
                        drive, the first two having been returned under
                        warranty.  They advise staying away or being sure that
                        you are in touch with a GOOD dealer as you might be
                        spending a long time arguing the finer points of your
                        warranty with him.

        Ehman Engineering: All of the people who responded were happy with t
                           their drives.  In fact, I think I'll get one of
                           these.

        Of course, one person offered the advice that it was better to buy
a drive of reliable quality (at a higher price) since that way you are certain
you won't have to shell out big bucks airmailing the hard drive back to the
manufacturer when it crashes.

Bharat Mediratta
BMEDIRATTA@COLGATEU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 01:27 EDT
From: <UN107065%WVNVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: help with "xxx.Z" files

I use VAX/VMS to ftp files from other sites. Some of the
files I have found in the archives have a "xxx.Z" format.
When I download this type of file on my Mac (using MacBinary)
and try to extract the tar files using the Macintosh tar program,
I get error messages. What am I doing wrong?

I understand that the file can be extracted on a unix machine
but unfortunately I do not have access to one. Is there another
way to extract a "xxx.Z" file.

I would appreciate any info.

thanks,
Neil Hazari
un107065@wvnvms.wvnet.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 20:31 EST
From: PETER CHEN <PETCHEN@pisces.rutgers.edu>
Subject: HyperDA and SuperCard

Hi,

	I am currently working for a computer lab, we are trying to establish
some on-line help by using HyperCard.  There is some problems regarding this,
however.  First, is it true that HyperDA does not handle graphics?  Second,
what do the people who have tried SuperCard think of it?  We are seriously
considering the option of developing in SuperCard.  If anybody has solutions
to the problem with HyperDA or suggestions regarding SuperCard, I would very
much appreciate your reply.

				Thank you,

				Peter Chen	CCIS FSDC Tech Writer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 11:48:01 MDT
From: "Bruce A. Carter" <DUSCARTE@idbsu.idbsu.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #109

Regarding the request for a HyperCard spelling checker XCMD, such an XCMD
has been developed by Dr. Dana Ludwig as part of a medical information
package.  Dana can be reached at:

Dana Ludwig, M.D.
Medical Information Associates
535 Starboard Drive
San Mateo, CA  94404

Dana is looking for a public domain dictionary that can be used with the
XCMD.  Currently a limited medical vocabulary is used.

*                                       BBB                            *
*        Boise State University        BBB                             *
*   Center for Data Processing        BBBBBBBBBB   SSSSSSSS            *
*       1910 University Drive        BBB      BBB SSS UUU      UUU     *
*               Boise, Idaho        BBB      BBB SSS UUU      UUU      *
*                     83725        BBBBBBBBBBBB SSS UUU      UUU       *
*                                       SSSSSSSSSS  UUUUUUUUUUU        *
*   Bruce A. Carter                      |   Office:  (208) 385-1250   *
*   Courseware Development Coordinator   |  Message:  (208) 385-1433   *
*    Bitnet: DUSCARTE@IDBSU      InterNet: DUSCARTE@IDBSU.IDBSU.EDU    *
*   AppleLink: U0919      CIS: 76666,511     PLATO: CARTER/IDAHO/PCA   *

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 15:14:07 CDT
From: evans@lvgeo.csc.ti.com (Eleanor J. Evans @ 462-5330)
Subject: Kensington Turbo Mouse ... Plus?

I found a Kensington Turbo Mouse ADB at my local Soft Warehouse, but
since my mouse isn't connected with an ADB port, like the Mac SE and
Mac II, I can't use it.  They referred in the documentation to a
"Mouse Plus".  Has anyone seen or used one of these?  Does anyone
know where I can get one?  I'd really appreciate an address for
Kensington.

Eleanor Evans
evans@lvipl.ti.com

P.S.  A Turbo Mouse is a really nifty little trackball.  Big trackball.
Whatever.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 08:07:01 PDT
From: PUGH@ccc.mfecc.llnl.gov
Subject: Leading Clock Zeros

I finally figured out what was causing the itl0 and itl1 resources to get
their leading zero bits set (which was, if you recall, reflected in all the
clock and calendar displays).  The guilty culprit was/is (ta da!) MacAlmanac,
the DA that tells you a bunch of useless astronomical data.  Consider it
pitched.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 19:19:01 EDT
From: John V. Goodman <jvgoodma@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: Little black bands fixed (?)

Well, the problem I described earlier (little black bands flickering across the screen during color changes) has been...well, ameliorated.

At the advice of Nick Pilch, I moved the card to a different slot.

I had had the card in the slot closest to the edge of the
computer (furthest away from the power supply, I figured, and also the one the "MacintoshIIcx Owners Manual" shows the card being put into).  I switched it
to the middle slot and the bands have gone away completely.

Of course, the question is now, If the slots are all supposed to be
identical, how come switching the card can do this?

Maybe the card's still screwy; who knows.  Since I bought the computer
>From a University outlet with the educational discount, the service
stinks and I would have to do without the computer for three weeks
while they send my video card back to the factory for another!
(Apparently they do not stock spare cards for exchanges.)

And I'd rather not do that.  So, while the problem may not, technically,
be fixed, I'm satisfied.  Thanks to those who gave advice.

John V. Goodman

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89  08:35:50 EDT
From: "Doug Ashbrook" <JDA%NIHCU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Need FTP for Mac

Does anyone know of a program that will allow me to do FTP transfers
>From my Macintosh IIx?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU                              <-- preferred address
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV     or     jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 12:26:46 EDT
From: John Andrews <AP027008%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Printing Excel Formulae -- Reply

To print formulae in Excel, use the Display command from the Options menu to
display the formulae on the screen, then print -- voila, the formulae will
print instead of the values (and I think the column width will automatically
double, too).

Note that with macro sheets, the process works in reverse -- Excel prints macro
formulae by default, but can display and print the cell values from the last
run of the macro if you change the display option.  This is useful for
debugging.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 10:14:12 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>

>Excel (and other spreadsheets) normally display the formula only of the
>current cell.  To check a spreadsheet's worth of formulas or to teach
>someone how to use a spreadsheet technique or for documentation, it would
>be useful to be able to print all of the formulas corresponding to a
>spreadsheet.
>
>Does anyone have or know of a program that can take a Excel format file or
>SYLK file and print out the formulas in it?

To print formulas in Excel (at least w/ v1.5), select "Display..." from
under the "Options" menu. Click on the "Display Formulas" checkbox and print
as usual. If the formulas are much longer than the data they normally
display, you'll have to reformat your columns, so the whole formula is
visible. That's it!

Another Excel related question, which came up as I was verifying the method
I've just described. How does one unprotect a worksheet if you can't
remember the password? There's gotta be a way. My boss has my manual at
home, (and he's on travel to boot) so I can't look it up - assuming it is
even in there:-{.

>Arthur

tom c

Electromagnetic Armament Technology Branch, US Army Armament Research,
Development and Engineering Center, Picatinny Arsenal, NJ 07806-5000
ARPA: tcora@pica.army.mil -or- tcora@ardec.arpa        [201] 724-4344
UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!tcora  BITNET: Tcora@DACTH01.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 08:22:12 PDT
From: Mike_Dustan@cc.sfu.ca

Try displaying formulas (choose Display... from the Options menu
and click Formulas). Then save the worksheet as Text. Works every
time. The format is ugly, but everything's there.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 15:11:41 CDT
From: evans@lvgeo.csc.ti.com (Eleanor J. Evans @ 462-5330)
Subject: sick Plus

Help!  My Mac is REALLY sick.  It keeps spontaneously rebooting.
I have tried it with a noise suppression circuit, and the problem
seems to be lessened (though that may be anomalous, because it is
very sporadic), but the behavior has not gone away entirely.

The machine cycles, rebooting several times before finally coming
up again.  The reboot has occurred in a couple of different packages,
all of them games, actually (this is a new/used machine).  I'm working
on a 2 1/2 year old Mac Plus that I just bought.  It was reported by
the seller (and previous owner) to have had no previous problems - no
need for service.

I'm not sure which details might be relevant - it has just 1 meg,
I'm running System 6.0.2, the bomb occurs with the system I got
>From the seller on floppy and with the system that came on the hard
drive I just bought.

The software I've been running is a set of games I've used in many
machines over the last few years - Solitaire, Golf, (both by Michael
Casteel ??), Billiard Parlour, Iago, Reversi ... I have several copies
of all of these programs ... I think they are part of a PD disk
distributed by one of the user groups, as well.

The spontaneous reboot has occurred both while trying to click a
response, and while a program was just sitting there on the screen.
It has also occurred in the Finder, just sitting on a desktop.

The machine never comes up cleanly.  It always cycles, beeping
randomly, sometimes staying blank for several seconds, sometimes
bringing up a screen before beeping and/or blanking again.
Occasionally I even get the black lines across the screen.  :-(

Can anybody suggest a solution??  The noise suppression circuit
I am using claims to have EMI/RFI circuitry.  Is there a broader
band circuit?  Would using one help?  Should I try doubling up
on the circuitry?  Is this even the right direction to be looking?
Or should I just take this to a dealer and fork over large amounts
of money???

Eleanor Evans
evans@lvipl.ti.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 20:32 EST
From: PETER CHEN <PETCHEN@pisces.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Startup palette

Hi,

	I was trying to install some GIF picture as the startup screen by
using DeskPict.  I first converted it in to Res ID=0 pict file and renamed it
as DeskPicture.  The picture loads up on the screen, but the palette returned
to default 16 colors and ruined the picture.  Is there any way to get around
this?  In other words, how can I startup with the palette come with the
picture?

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 15:13 MET
From: ZWENNES_BAN%HLSDNL5.BITNet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: SuperCard

Hi Mac-users,

Has anyone seen SuperCard, the HyperCard look-alike? If you've seen it,
maybe you can answer these question:

- Is SuperCard able to use HyperCard's XCMDs and XFCNs?

- Does SuperCard support multiple windows?

- How fast is SuperCard?

- How much does SuperCard cost and where can I buy it?

- Are there anymore HyperCard-like programs (I know about PLUS) ?

Greetings,
Alexander Zwennes       BITNET:  ZWENNES_BAN@HLSDNL5

------------------------------

Date: 22 Jun 89 22:02:00 EST
From: "JEFF TEMPLON" <templon@venus.iucf.indiana.edu>
Subject: TeX Preview Demo

I, too, tried the TeX previewer demo some time back.  I had the same
problem of not being able to look at any other DVI file than the one
provided.  After posting a question, I heard from the author (Rick
was the first name, and he was employed with SARA in Amsterdam, but
that is all I remember) who said that the problem was with the version
of TeX.  Apparently there is a TeX-80 and a TeX-84 (or something like
that, the correct numbers escape me); the previewer only works for the
earlier TeX; now most people use the newer version.  He said that there
is a version of TeX preview that will open dvi files created with the
newer version of TeX.

	This is all from memory of about 2 years ago, so please no
flames if it is not 100% correct!  But I am sure that this was the
heart of the problem; it was NOT file transfer mode.  If you want
more information, you can contact the author at the bitnet node
hasara5.bitnet;  if I remember right the address is rick@hasara5.bitnet.
If that doesn't work, perhaps postmaster@hasara5.bitnet  can point
you in the right direction.

					Jeff Templon