Date: Sun, 25 Jun 89 22:48:32 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Batchbin3k?

I just tried Batchbin 0.51 posted here recently.  Under the menu
"Conversions" there are two items - "MAC=>IBM" and "IBM=>MAC".
On my Mac Plus, the second item "IBM=>MAC" is greyed out, so I
can batch convert files *to* MacBinary, but I can't do the opposite.
There was no mention in the docs about this.  Has anyone else
had this experience with Batchbin?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jun 89 17:01 N
From: <MLAMMI%FINKUO.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: BookEnds biblographer

BookEnds Reference Management System is HyperCard Stackware
and it costs $99. Latest version is 1.1, as far as I know.
It is provided by
                      Sensible Software, Inc.
                      335 E. Big Beaver, Suite 207
                      Troy, Michigan 48083
                      (313) 528-1950

MS-DOS version is also available (I don't have experience on
that, though).

Features:

- Database size is limited only the free disk space.
- It has categories for author, title, editor, journal, volume, pages,
  date, publisher, loacation, keywords, abstract, and classification
- Each category can have up to 30 000 characters
- Convenient  import abilities including:
  1. Tab delimited text files (data type typical for most database
     applications in MacWorld)
  2. Other BookEnds databases (from MacIntosh, Apple II or IBM-compatibles)
  3. Dialog
  4. MedLine/MedLars
  5. BRS, MESH format
  6. BRS, Generic format
  7. MedLine Knowledge Finder (CD-ROM)
- Generates alphabetical listing of all unique authors and keywords in
  a database
- Export to text files and to other BookEnds stacks
- Duplicate references can be deleted
- A Journal Glossary with abbreviations of the journal name for easy
  source entering
- Boolean AND, OR and NOT searches supported (although a bit limited)
- References can to searched by scanning the stack, by the absolute number
  of the reference, with Search command (scans all the desired categories),
  or by Find command which scans only one category at the time.
- Matches can be sorted by any two categories
- Output can be formatted easily. 10 editable formats can be used at
  one time. The order of categories,as well as author and editor names
  can be formatted (Fonts and styles cannot be formatted)
- Output can be:
  1. Printed
  2. Sent to a text file
  3. Sent to the word processor you like best
- MultiFinder compatible (not copy protected)

These are the main features, some others are still available
Our experience so far:

We have some 3400 references now, and the worst possible search
(that is, searching all the categories and collecting the matches
using quite simple AND or OR logics) will take our Mac II (5 MB)
about 9 and a half minutes. Searching from one category without a
match list collected is almost immediate. By using short search strings
the search  will be faster.Mac Plus is irritatingly slow (the job
would take some 20 min).

The most important feature for us is the Import capability. We can
import references from Datastar's (in Switzerland) MedLine database
>From the on-line log file with a converter program written in Fortran.
I get the log file from our library and run a conversion application
in our mainframe (VAX) and transfer the file to Mac II using the FTP
protocol and Import the references. This takes only some 5-10 minutes
in all.

Datastar's MedLine can be imported without the conversion by using
BRS, Mesh format Importing in BookEnds, the drawback is that BookEnds
cannot separate the categories in the reference source, so the source
will go into category Journal. Also the authors do not always import
correctly.

We are quite satisfied with BookEnds, but it could be faster. It
might be possible to Import references from CCOD (Current Contents
on Disk), since CCOD can output the references in MedLine format.
I don't have any experience on that. Anyway, this would add the value
of this package.

Mikko Lammi
Department of Anatomy
University of Kuopio
Finland

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jun 89 14:28:50 EST
From: Hans Eriksson <munnari!ditmela.oz.au!Hans.Eriksson@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: Convert .hqx into AppleShare(CAP) files

Given a number of .hqx files on your favorite CAP-server, how do you
get all files extracted the easiest way?

Is there a utility that takes a .hqx file, and unpacks it into the
three files used by AppleShare(CAP) ('.finderinfo/file',
'.resource/file' and 'file')? There are several ones to convert into
.bin and macput format but I have not seen a CAP one.

/hans
Hans Eriksson (hans@ditmela.oz.au)
CSIRO/DIT, 55 Barry Street, Carlton, Victoria 3053, Australia (we are GMT+10)
Tel: +61 3 347-8644 Fax: +61 3 347-8987 Home: +61 3 534-5188
On a years leave from Swedish Institute of Computer Science (hans@sics.se)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Jun 89 22:54:08 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Deskzap

Does anyone have a version of Deskzap newer than 1.3a8?  That version
works OK, but some of the file dialogs will work *real* slow when
certain other inits like MacroMaker are loaded.

------------------------------

Date: 26-JUN-1989 21:33:05.30
From: Richard Silverman <RSILVERMAN@eagle.wesleyan.edu>
Subject: drawing grayed text

Hello all,

	Is there a standard way to draw grayed text (or text using any pattern
in general) with QuickDraw?  Unless I've missed something, it's not available
directly, but is of course used all over the place.  Is there a generally
accepted way of doing it?  Thanks,

                                                Richard Silverman

arpa:	rsilverman@eagle.wesleyan.edu           Computing Center
bitnet:	rsilverman@wesleyan                     Wesleyan University
CIS:	[72727,453]                             Middletown, CT 06457

[The answer (for items in a DITL) can be found in Apple's Macintosh Development
 Questions and Answers stack in the /info-mac/apple/stacks directory. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jun 89   15:08 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: More on SoftPC 1.3

Date: 26 June 1989, 14:49:53 EST
>From: WMLBTAM at UCCCVM1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU

I've had a couple of questions raised about SoftPC after my last missive to
the net, so I thought I'd summarize here in case others were interested.

===
Al Best asked about 8088/80286 emulation, >640K/EMS/EEMS/RAM disk, and
HDFD drive support.

SoftPC is 8088 emulation only.  There is no mention in the manual of any
mechanism for installing E/EEMS or RAM disk software but it might be fun to
try!  In version 1.3, the HDFD >IS< supported; this is one of it's improve-
ments over 1.21.  And yes, SAS on a plain XT is a real dog speed-wise; I
doubt you'd want to try to run it under SoftPC.

===
Klaus Schnathmeier pointed out that although Flight Simulator for MS-DOS
"runs" under SoftPC, it's really an unacceptable implementation--I guess
you could most likely compare it to submitting your flight corrections in
batch mode!  He also notes that the older version of Flight Simulator for
the Mac does >NOT< run on the Mac II(x/cx?).

Re: CGA vs. EGA/VGA:  SoftPC 1.3 still only supports CGA.

Re: LQ-ImageWriter printing: I haven't tried this, but the SoftPC manual says
that for applications which don't support PostScript printers or the Apple
ImageWriter, you should install them for the Epson FX-80, set up SoftPC for
Epson FX-80 emulation, and then SoftPC sends printing out to the Mac's
PrintManager, where your ImageWriter is supposed to be already known to the
system.  I don't know how good/bad the printing results would be, though...

===
I hope you folks who aren't interested in SoftPC don't mind this intrusion
too much.  Thanks for your indulgence!

Ted

Theodore Allan Morris                         | 231 Bethesda Avenue, ML# 574
University of Cincinnati Medical Center       | Cincinnati, OH  45267-0574
Medical Center Information and Communications | 513-558-6046 (W), 731-3451 (H)
Information Research and Development          | WMLBTAM@UCCCVM1, NTS WB8VNV,
==============================================| or AppleLink U1091
Call me up and I'll talk data to ya'!         | (you-one-zero-nine-one)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jun 89  18:43 +01:00
From: "Lukas Nellen TP 6.3 ext 73949" <NELLEN%vax1.physics.oxford.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: Public domain TeX for the Mac exists!

In digest #107, Matthew Wall mentioned the search for a p. d. MacTeX. Thanks to
Andrew Trevorrow, it now exists and is called OzTeX.

OzTeX includes a previewer, a PostScript driver, the CMR fonts in the standard
sizes and font metrics for the LaserWriter builtin fonts. It also includes a
userguide (written in LaTeX) and the source code (in MODULA 2).

OzTeX was developed on a 1M Mac+ running the finder. But it runs happily on a
Mac II under multifinder, if you tell the multifinder to give it enough memory.
The preview display on a big screen is excellent and the fonts are well tuned
for printing on the LaserWriter. The userguide mentions transfering DVI files
>From other system, so you should be able to use OzTeX to preview DVI files
created on a different machine. Using OzTeX is straightforward if you know TeX
- the fun of using the Mac! I don't think our secretary wants to go back to
using the VAX :-).

OzTeX doesn't have an integrated editor, so you have to use either a DA, like
the included \Sigma edit, or use your favourite editor/wordprocessor.

I don't know who does the re-distribution of OzTeX in the US or other areas.
For UK users, OzTeX is available from the ASTON TeX archive. Or send 10
unformatted disks and return postage to
	Peter Abbott
	Computing Service
	Aston University
	Aston Triangle
	Birmingham B4 7ET

			-- Lukas
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Lukas Nellen                       @ eMail from the UK:
Department of Theoretical Physics  @      NELLEN @ UK.AC.OX.PH.V1
1, Keble Road                      @ from the rest of the world:
Oxford OX1 3NP                     @      NELLEN @ V1.PH.OX.AC.UK
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jun 89 17:21 N
From: <MLAMMI%FINKUO.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Rappaport plug

Hi Mac people,

In this list there was a note on the Rappaport plug which
enables your Mac read MS-DOS files just by attaching it into
the external drive port of the Macintosh.

I would like tohear of your experience on this product, can it
do the job properly? Any comments are appreciated, if there are
enough responses I will summarize to the list.

I think there was a mention of the converter for Mac to remove
the extra spaces from files transferred from VAX. Is it in Info-Mac
files? Again, replies are more than wellcome.

Mikko Lammi
Department of Anatomy
University of Kuopio
Finland

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jun 89 09:50 GMT
From: DELAAT%HUTRUU51.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Search for a decent lib program for Absoft Fortran 2.4

To all Absoft Fortran (version 2.4) users:

I am developing huge fortran programs for use in experimental
physics (data aquisition, analysis, fit, plot etc. programs).
These programs call a lot of subroutines for grafics, analysis
and I/O control which are common to all those programs.
I have around 200 of such common subroutines. The easiest way to
do development is to make a real library of those 200 subroutines
(like on the vax) and link them with the individual programs.
The problem I have is that the supplied lib program on the ABSOFT
distribution is awfull. One has to type every from the 200 names
and should nowere make an error or one has to start over again.
Moreover, I need to do the work twice since we use MacSE's and
MacII's, so a library with and one without floating point use.
The question: does somebody know if there exists a lib program
that either accepts commandfiles or wildcards and of course still
deliveres libraries usable with Absofts link program.
If so please notify me and if possible send me the program in
binhexed or stuffitted way or tell me where to buy it.

Thanks.

mail adress:   DELAAT@HUTRUU51.BITNET
 C.T. de Laat
 Fysisch Laboratorium
 Rijks Universiteit Utrecht
 princetonplein 5
 Utrecht

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jun 89 08:18:03 EDT
From: Michael J Antonio <MIKEA%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Spell Checker for HC

This is kind of a cludge (sp?), but it works for me.

First, get all the fields into a file

on spellCheck
   go to card 1
   put "TheFields" into fName
   open file fName
   repeat with y = 1 to the number of cards
      repeat with x = 1 to the number of bg fields
        get bg field x
        write it & return & "c'" & return to file fName -- C ced. or whatever
      end repeat
      go next card
   end repeat
   close file fName
end spellCheck

Now you spell check the document, and reverse the above script (I use the
fileName XCMD.  Use your favorite in its place).

on endCheck
  go card 1
  put fileName("TEXT") into file fName -- Choose the file "TheFields"
  open file fName
  repeat with y = 1 to the number of cards
    repeat with x = 1 to the number of bg fields
      read from file fileName until "c'"
      put empty into the last char of it  --  kill "c'"
      put it into bg field x
      read from file fName until return  -- kill extra return
    end repeat
    go next card
  end repeat
  close file fName
end endCheck

This is fast and effiecient, and works wonderfully under MF.

MikeA

End of Info-Mac Digest