Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/29/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 28 Jun 89       Volume 7 : Issue 114

Today's Topics:
                          GEnie Helper v3.6
        Getting DiskFit v1.5 to work with Apple 40SC Tape Unit
                      HELP WITH FONT/DA JUGGLER
                   Info-Mac Digest V7 #106 (2 msgs)
                          Public Domain TeX
QuickTimer and periodic actions, with many applications under MultiFinder
                         Scientific software
                 searchReplace XCMD--new version 1.5
                         SE to SE/30 upgrade
                              SimCity...
                              StatWorks
                            StatWorks 1.2
                           SuperClock! 3.4
        System 6.0.2, MacTools 7.1, and Font/DA Mover problems
                           Virus protection
                  Where can I get sources to Moria?
                         Word personalization

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Lance Nakata, Jon Pugh, and Bill Lipa.

The Info-Mac archives are available (by using FTP, account anonymous, any
password) in the info-mac directory on sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6].

Date: Tue, 27 Jun 89 10:01:14 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: GEnie Helper v3.6

GEnie Helper is a procedure file for Red Ryder 10.0 and later. Allows you to
automate much of your GEnie session, getting and sending mail, etc. and
running them unattended, if you so desire. With documentation, it is in
StuffIt format. Downloaded from Info-Center BBS (914) 565-6696.

tom c

Bill the Cat sez: "Remember. If some weirdo in a blue suit
                    offers you some MS-DOS. JUST SAY NO!"
ARPA: tcora@pica.army.mil    UUCP:...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!tcora
 -or- tcora@ardec.arpa       BITNET: Tcora@DACTH01.BITNET

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/genie-helper-36.hqx; 33K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jun 89 10:57:51 CDT
From: Michael Farlow--Texas A&M Graphics Lab <X098MF%TAMVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Getting DiskFit v1.5 to work with Apple 40SC Tape Unit

Greetings!!!

Being one of the ppl assigned with the upkeep of the A-share net in our
lab, I sought long and hard for a backup utility to suit our needs. The
one I decided on and summarily purchased was SuperMac's DiskFit v1.5
(The network version).  The main reason I chose it was that it would
restore all the A-share folder privs (which other programs wont do) and
perform incremental backup of A-share'ed volumes.

I have an Apple 40SC Tape unit that I am supposed to use for backups.
But, I can't DiskFit to mount the Tape drive.  And the killer here is
that the documentation (and the outside of the box) says that it will
work with almost any tape unit. I tried my friends Jasmin DirectTape,
still no go.

If it is possible, could someone send me the init that will allow me to
use the Apple Tape unit with this program?  This plus any hints/tips
for usage will be appreciated.

Thank a bunch!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% Michael Farlow                   X098MF@TAMVM1.TAMU.EDU (InterNet) %
% CSC Help Desk & Graphics Lab Consultant     X098MF@TAMVM1 (BitNet) %
% Texas A&M University                                 (409)845-1365 %
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%                        Disclaimer                                  %
%                                                                    %
% Any opinions expressed here are the sole responsibility of Michael %
% Farlow and do not in any way constitute the views, policy, or      %
% other legal type things of Texas A&M University.                   %
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Jun 89 09:15:26 SST
From: TNG TH <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HELP WITH FONT/DA JUGGLER

Help!!!!!!
I recently borrowed Font/DA Juggler Plus for test. I tried it on one
Mac II and it worked fine. Then I connected two Mac IIs together with
AppleTalk and one of the machines wouldn't load in FONT/DA Juggler Plus.
The first machine that booted up first loaded FONT/DA perfectly. The second
machine displayed the icon with a cross. What have I not done? I have no
documentation and all reviews in MacWorld and MacUser does not talk about
networking and FONT/DA together.
Please reply to me at ISSTTH@NUSVM.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jun 89 01:36:53 EDT
From: John.Alcock@f2819.n206.z1.fidonet.org (John Alcock)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #106

Steve Gerken:

>>         We would like to be mac based but we have
        a new vax 3600 with 64 Mb of memory and 500Mb
        disk storage.

Your requirements seem to call for Double Helix. It has the
advantage, in your case, of allowing the application to be designed
in DH, and then allowing the application to be *easily* transferred
to your VAX platform, where it will happily run under Helix VMX.
If you need to modify the design, its a simple matter to transfer
back to the Mac design station, and back to VMX/VMS when you're
done. It's a very nice environment: I've designed and delivered
such a system to a client who currently has over 80,000 records
with many related subfiles running on a VAX 3300 with 20+ Macs
acting as front-ends. Your Helix VMS application can also be used
by the VAX terminals, as usual, but not as prettily. Basing it on
the VAX also removes any backup or speed concerns you may have. Call
Odesta Corporation in Chicago for further details of VMX - they have
a videotape available demonstrating the complete system, including
Mac to VAX and back again interface. "Batman" it ain't, but it's
helpful nevertheless.

--- Tabby 2.0

--
John Alcock via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!206!2819!John.Alcock

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jun 89 17:16:45 GMT
From: dg-rtp!roths@dg-rtp.dg.com (Robert Rothschild)

I have a hardware problem with my Mac Plus.  It's vanilla, no upgrades, one
lonely little meg.

Three months ago my clock started running slow.  It loses many hours every day.
I replaced the battery twice.  Every time, the clock starts to lose time
within a few weeks.  Any ideas what is going on?

Note - I am not losing my other PRAM settings.  Also, this problem appeared
       at the same time that my hard drive died of a bad power supply.  I
       think I may have been hit by lightning.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jun 89 22:45:17 CDT
From: c3ar%zaphod@gargoyle.uchicago.edu
Subject: Public Domain TeX

In Digest #113, Peter Abbott announces the availability of OzTeX, a public
domain version of TeX for the Macintosh.  (See his posting for a
description.)  I have agreed to help redistribute this in the US.  I
received version 1.1 from Australia today and almost simultaneously
the powers-that-be here advised me that they will make available a spot on
one of our machines for anonymous ftp.  I am also searching for other
archives that are willing to make this available.

When I find out the exact address of the machine on which this will be
placed here, I will send another anouncement.  In the mean time, anyone
interested can send me email at one of the addresses below.  Be forwarned
that the total OzTeX delivery is very large (it takes ten 800k diskettes),
mostly because it contains the full set of CM fonts.  The fonts used are in
standard PK format, so any additional fonts on mainframes can be ported
easily to the Mac.

--Walter
Walter C3arlip 				c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu
(the "3" is silent)			c3ar%zaphod@UCHIMVS1.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jun 89 17:22:56 +0200
From: Sigurd Meldal <sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no>
Subject: QuickTimer and periodic actions, with many applications under MultiFinder

For the tips directory?

With QuickTimer (part of the QuicKeys 1.2 release) came the
possibility of automatic saves (and other useful actions) at timed
intervals. Lovely, I thought, and set about defining automatic saves
every 5 minutes (I am paranoid).

As suggested in the manual, I let a bizarre key combination (e.g.
command-shift-ctrl-option-keypad-zero) denote the "save" menu choice,
and defined the sequence "Periodic" to consist of this keystroke.
In QuickTimer I set it to execute every 5 minutes, and I started
typing. And what do you know, five minutes later my file was saved.
Joy! Except that five minutes later I was in another application, and
it did not have a save command - it beeped angrily at me. There were a
number of attempts to remedy the situation - let me give the procedure
that works:

The problem:
I want an application specific action at regular intervals. For some
applications it is a save, for some it is to do nothing at all, for
some it is something else. The default is to do nothing.

The solution:
Enter the Universal part of QuicKeys on the control panel.

Define a sequence which performs the default actions, in my case
NOTHING, and assign an unused keystroke to it (e.g.
command-ctrl-option-keypad-zero). Call it "empty" or something
similarly descriptive.

Define another sequence which consists of the keystroke assigned to
"empty". Assign another unused keystroke to that, and name it
"Periodic".

In QuickTimer, enter the wished-for interval for periodic actions.

For each application which should do something with the set intervals,
define a sequence performing the action, and assign it the keystroke
used in the "Periodic" sequence defined earlier.

The result:
Periodically, QuickTimer will perform the keystroke given in the
sequence "Periodic". If that keystroke is assigned to some action by
QuicKeys for the application you happen to be in at that time, then
QuicKeys will perform that action. If no such assignment exists, the
action assigned to the keystroke in the Universal part will be
performed, i.e. the default action (which still is nothing, in my
case).

This does not ascertain automatic saves (e.g. I am in another
application every time QuickTimer triggers the periodic action), but
it certainly is a vast improvement to manually saving work at
appropriate intervals.

-- Sigurd

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Jun 89 12:19 EST
From: <DANNY%BCVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Lassaiz les bon temps rouler!)
Subject: Scientific software

Hello,

I am trying to locate a program for the Macintosh that will let the user create
3D images such as molecules, or other biological science-related images, and
then distorte/mutate the image, rotate it, etc.  I am presently looking at Super
3D by Silicon Beach as a temporary solution, but it will not let me mutate, or
"torque" the image.  Does anyone have any experience with scientific software
like this, or at least have some ideas of where I might look?

Thanks for any help!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jun 89 18:31 EDT
From: Maurice Volaski <V050FN5R@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: searchReplace XCMD--new version 1.5

The following is version 1.5 of the SearchReplace XCMD. The SearchReplace
XCMD offers a word processor style method of searching and replacing
strings in hypercard fields. The new version fixes a gross bug in the old
one and features an improved interface.

Maurice Volaski
v050fn5r@ubvms

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/xcmd-searchreplace-15.hqx; 56K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Jun 89 14:56:28 PDT
From: wong@icsl.ucla.edu (Bennett C. Wong)
Subject: SE to SE/30 upgrade

Hi all,

Anybody have any experience with the SE --> SE/30 logic board
upgrade?  I'm toying with the idea of going ahead and getting
it, but I had some questions.  First, I have a 2-800K drive SE.
I don't forsee the need for the Superdrive, but I want to know
if my 2-800K drives will still work, ie. is there enough
room inside with the new board? (I don't have to worry about an
internal hard drive).  Second, will my old power supply be able to
handle the new 030 board and a video card installed in the 030
Direct Slot? I read someplace that the SE/30 power supply is
"auto-configurable". What about the old SE power supply? Finally,
are there any problems with this upgrade that I haven't considered
and what are the pros and cons with this upgrade versus 1) buying
an 020 accelerator board and 2) selling the SE and just buying an
SE/30?  Pleas e-mail to me directly and if there is enough interest,
I'll summarize to the net.

Bennett Wong ( wong@icsl.ucla.edu or wong@ee.ucla.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jun 89 09:31:22 CST
From: d.m.p.@pro-party.cts.com (Don Peaslee)
Subject: SimCity...

Purchased the "SimCity 1.1" city simulation software last week, and am really
impressed with this fine software.  One takes on the role of a city's mayor
and attempts to balance multitudes of competing factors so that people want to
live in your city, pay taxes, and etc.  The realism, sounds, and graphics
(traffic helicopters, airplanes, etc) are fantastic, and this program is
destined to become a classic.  The documentation even includes a short talk on
successful city planning as well as source books for such.

The software is available mail order (MacConnection and others will get it to
you via next day air for $3) for under $30.  "SimCity" is by Maxis and
distributed by BroderBund.

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jun 1989 11:45:40-EDT
From: Anne.Meixner@maxwell.ece.cmu.edu
Subject: StatWorks

	My advisor wants me to use StatWorks (by DataMetrics Inc)
to do some data analysis.  This is a spreadsheet based program,
and I've been able to figure out how to use all the neat analysis
tools without a manual (which my advisor has misplaced).
However,  I'm generating the data on a Vax and want to download
a file to the MacIntosh .  Thus I need a manual to inform me
of the expected format.

	So if anyone out there as a copy of the StatWorks
manual that I could borrow for a few hours or has experience
in downloading files to StatWorks I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks,
	Anne Meixner
	annem@maxwell
	x6638

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jun 1989 14:30:44-EDT
From: Anne.Meixner@maxwell.ece.cmu.edu
Subject: StatWorks 1.2
	I have a copy of StatWorks 1.0.  Apparently this version
does not allow you to read in files other than the ones you create.
That is unlike CricketGraph it does not allow you to read in
a Text file which you have in the correct format.  From a 1987
article in "BYTE",  version 1.2 of StatWorks should enable me to
do this.  Would anybody happend to this version (or a more recent one)
that I could copy.
	If so please reply in your favorite mode of communication.

Thanks,
	Anne Meixner
	annem@maxwell
	x6638

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jun 89 9:56:16 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: SuperClock! 3.4

Version 3.4 of the popular menuclock SuperClock! follows With documentation
it is in StuffIt format. Downloaded from Info-Center BBS (914) 565-6696.
Another bugfix release, I understand.

tom c

Bill the Cat sez: "Remember. If some weirdo in a blue suit
                    offers you some MS-DOS. JUST SAY NO!"
ARPA: tcora@pica.army.mil    UUCP:...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!tcora
 -or- tcora@ardec.arpa       BITNET: Tcora@DACTH01.BITNET

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/superclock-34.hqx; 21K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jun 89 09:27:06 CDT
From: "Craig S. Cottingham" <UC528665%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 6.0.2, MacTools 7.1, and Font/DA Mover problems

After running Font/DA Mover, the system bombs when it tries to open a window
on the desktop.  I con't even get into MacTools -- it bombs on launchin.
Do I need the latest versions to run under 6.0.2?  (I don't know right off
which version of Font/DA Mover I'm using.)

_Craig S. Cottingham
uc528665@umcvmb

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Jun 89 14:00:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: "John E. Haberland" <jh4h+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Virus protection

My office LAN consists of thirty Mac SEs and Pluses connected to a Mac II
server (40 meg) running Appleshare and Lasershare.  My problem is that last
week I found out that Interferon (being the inferior application it is) fails
to detect nVIR a and nVIR b viruses.  After running Disinfectant, to my
dismay, I found that my entire server (and nodes) was infected.  I cleaned the
server and every disk in the office.  I also installed Vaccine on all the
systems disks as well as in the server's systerm folder.  Does Vaccine (being
in the server's system folder) prevent a virus from installing anywhere on the
server?  Are there special inits for servers that do this?  Does Gatekeeper do
a better job than Vaccine?  Am I correct in thinking that viruses only attach
themselves to applications and not documents?  Any help would be immensely
appreciated as I don't want to go through another fiasco like this again.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jun 89 19:57:49 -0900
From: DANIEL K LASOTA                  <FTDKL%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Where can I get sources to Moria?

Hi Everyone,

I want to convert a mainframe adventure game called Moria over to
the Mac.
I'd at least like to start with the source code for the Vax/VMS.
I really have no idea about the version numbers on these things
but I have heard that many exist.
One such alternative version of Moria is called IMoria.

Thanks alot,

Dan LaSota

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Jun 89 15:22:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: "John E. Haberland" <jh4h+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Word personalization

Does anyone know how to change the personalization box in Microsoft Word?
The manual says to copy the master because once you personalize it MS says
it can't be changed.  Unfortunately my master has died and I wish to change
the personalization on my only working copy.  Which resource fork does the
information lie in?  I think I could ResEdit it if I could only find the
proper fork.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

End of Info-Mac Digest