Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (07/13/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 12 Jul 89       Volume 7 : Issue 119

Today's Topics:
                 A cure for water-soluble DeskJet ink
               Apple-approved Mac II Fan Noise Solution
            AppleShare won't boot from a floppy (response)
                    Application font default CDEV
                          Aussie bird songs
                          CD Rom Info Wanted
                          Color Batman Logo
                    documentation for MultiFinder
                            FastFormat800
                            HP Deskjet Ink
                           HyperDA address
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #117
                Info On Using Epson LQ-500 With MAC II
                       Ink smear on HP DeskJet
                          MicroEMACS update.
           Need advice on replacing a hard drive mechanism.
                     Physics and Astronomy fonts
                    Recording screen/mouse events
                          Red Ryder question
                     Screensaver for IIcx and SE
                           Shangai 2.0 Demo
                    SmartAlarms & MacConnection...
                            stubborn Rgn's
                Unity 3.1.1 (a text file concatenator)

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 89 08:17:19 CDT
From: "Craig S. Cottingham" <UC528665%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: A cure for water-soluble DeskJet ink

Try acrylic spray.  It should be available at university bookstores or
office supply stores.

_Craig S. Cottingham
uc528665@umcvmb

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jul 89 23:06:40 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Apple-approved Mac II Fan Noise Solution

>Could some kind soul repost the address for this again?

Yesterday I received a little gadget, which reduces the fan noise to
practically nothing. And it is approved by Apple, so the warranty,
Apple Care etc. are not invalidated.

The gadget is a sensor which regulates the fan speed. Cool mac -> no
noise, hot mac -> full wind tunnel blast.

My mac has an ethernet card and a Supermac color card, and the fan is
barely idling.

      NOVA INTERNATIONAL
      435 N. 34th Str.
      Seattle, WA 98103

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 89 08:19:51 EDT
From: "Bret Ingerman 315-443-1865" <INGERMAN%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: AppleShare won't boot from a floppy (response)

   This may seem a little stupid, but perhaps your internal disk drive on
the SE is no good.  You might want to try adding an external drive and then
try booting from that.

Bret Ingerman                            ingerman@suvm
Microcomputer Consultant
Syracuse University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jul 89 18:32:58 EDT
From: mikeoro@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael K O'Rourke)
Subject: Application font default CDEV

Application Font is a very plain CDEV which allows you to easily change the default application font.  It displays a list of all installed fonts that exist in 12-point size.  It does NOT care whether these are fonts opened with some program such as SuitCase* or Font/DA Juggler Plus*.  Once the CDEV is closed, the default font will IMMEDIATELY be changed, no need to reboot.

It was written by Michael O'Rourke, )1989 Micro F/X, All Rights Reserved.

Distributed under the HappiWare system.  If you like it, smile!

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/application-font.hqx; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Jul 89 13:04:59 CST
From: Steve Middlebrook <C94882SM%WUVMD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Aussie bird songs

Attached is a binhex of a stuffed file containing four digitized
Australian bird songs.  Included are the red wattle bird, the whip bird
and the infamous kookaburra.  If you aren't into bird songs, these sounds
also make nice "jungle background" for games etc.

Steve Middlebrook

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/aussie-bird-songs.hqx; 171K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jul 89 19:30:00 PDT
From: GPR001Y%CALSTATE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: CD Rom Info Wanted

        I am looking for information on CD Rom Drives. I have only tried the
Apple CD SC drive and it was VERY slow. I have seen one with a 32k buffer,
would this help the speed any? Does the Apple drive have a buffer? Also, are
there any new advancements on the horizon? Thanks for the help and I'll
summarize to the net.

****************************
*Mark Elpers               *
*Humboldt State University *
*BitNet: GPR001Y@CALSTATE  *
*GEnie: M.Elpers           *
****************************

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Jul 89 13:34:38 PDT
From: PUGH@ccc.mfecc.llnl.gov
Subject: Color Batman Logo

Here is a very nice color Batman logo for your desktop.  It comes
to me via the MacCircles BBS (415) 426-0362.

Jon

[Archived as /info-mac/art/color-batman-logo.hqx; 24K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 89 15:59:29 EDT
From: zben@camelot.umd.edu (Ben Cranston)
Subject: documentation for MultiFinder

SIZE resource and other programming interfaces to MultiFinder can be found in
the document "Programmer's Guide to MultiFinder".

The copy I am looking at is marked APDA# KMB017 but I undoubtedly ordered it
long before Apple took APDA back.  The Spring 1989 APDA catalog lists it as
item number M7044 for $20.00 and sizes it at 90 pages, which is approximately
the length of the older copy I have.  It includes several example programs in
both C and Pascal.  Well worth the $20.00 ...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jul 89 18:32:11 EDT
From: mikeoro@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael K O'Rourke)
Subject: FastFormat800

FastFormat800 (Version 1.0)
===============================
Written by Michael
O'Rourke Copyright )1988,1989, Micro F/X; All Rights Reserved

FastFormat800 is a mass disk initializer.  Its only function is to initialize
any disk stuck into any drive as an 800K disk.  It does NOT prompt you about
anything, so if you stick in the wrong disk -- TOUGH!

When launched, FastFormat800 will eject any floppies in any drive.  After that
point, any disk stuck in will be erased as an 800K disk.  It will notify you
of any problems it has when erasing the disk(s).  It allows you to specify
the name the disks should be initialzed as.

It is distributed under the HappiWare system. If you like it, SMILE!

[Archived as /info-mac/util/fast-format-800.hqx; 19K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 89 13:46:58 edt
From: amanda%intercon@uunet.uu.net (Amanda Walker)
Subject: HP Deskjet Ink

In Info-Mac Digest V7 #117, David Cortesi writes:
> I think you should talk to a graphic artist.  Surely watercolorists
> and workers in other soluble media have solved this problem already?

Yup.  It's called `fixative,' and should be available in any art supply
store.  What you probably want is waterproof fixative, as opposed to
"workable" fixative.  Just spray it on after the ink is dry, and poof--
it's smudgeproof and waterproof.  If you spray too much, you can end up
with a slightly shiny page, though.  I use a brand designed for use with
calligraphy called "Blair Calligracote."  Works great.

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jul 89 16:29 EST
From: PETER CHEN <PETCHEN@pisces.rutgers.edu>
Subject: HyperDA address

Hi,

     Could somebody post the address and telephone number of the
company producing HyperDA?

     Thank you,
               Peter Chen

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 89 10:25:16 -0400
From: William C. DenBesten<denbeste@andy.bgsu.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #117

Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators):

> I'm having a puzzling (to me at least) problem with a Mac SE running
> AppleShare 2.0 server software. Everything works fine otherwise, but
> whenever I try to boot off the Server Administration disk, the SE after
> brief rumination ejects the floppy and proceeds to boot off the hard disk
> -- jumping straight into the server application. I've tried to substitute
> other startup floppies -- to no avail.

It sounds like your internal floppy drive is not working.  Things to check:

o Boot your server admin disk off another mac to make sure that the disk is ok
o Try putting an external drive on the machine and booting off of that.
o If your hard drive is external (or you are comfortable inside a mac) try
  moving the hard drive to another machine.

If an external floppy works, I would probably not have the internal
repaired.  I do all the administration and software installation while
the server is up.  I have to shutdown maybe 10 times this year.  3 were
due to planned power outages.  4 were crashes (One time, others were
on the server) [ I was trying to delete 500 Quickmail messages at once
and my system heap was too small ].  The rest of the times, I was
performance testing with various hardware.

Two other tricks that I have come across:
o I installed a file copying utility in my appleshare admin program on
  the server.  This allows me to move things into the server folder
  while the server is still up.
o I did not put a screen saver on the filer server.  It uses cycles and
  (theoretically) slows down the server.  I turn the brigntness off instead.

--
 William C. DenBesten
 denbeste@bgsu.edu

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jul 89 08:53:19 PDT (Monday)
From: "Ira_Scharfglass.ElSegundo"@xerox.com
Subject: Info On Using Epson LQ-500 With MAC II

All,

I am about to purchase a MAC II and have an Epson LQ-500 at home with my
PC.  I'd prefer not to have to purchase a printer right now, because Apple
printers tend to be expensive, and I'd like to get a Laser Printer or HP
DeskJet at some time in the future.

Can anyone give me info on using the LQ with the MAC with the Grapler-LQ by
Orange Micro, or any similar product??

Thanks,

Ira

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 89 10:34 EST
From: HENRY YEE <HENRY@atc.bendix.com>
Subject: Ink smear on HP DeskJet

IN%"postmaster@movies.mit.edu"
IN%"Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.EDU"

Follow-up on HP DeskJet

If you're worried about the ink being water-soluble on the HP DeskJet, make
a xerox copy.  Any FAX that we want to file is immediately copied before it
fades (darkens).  You may want to think of the DeskJet copy in the same way
as the inter-neg in photography, a disposable intermediary between the disk
file and the final copy.

Henry Yee

IN%"Henry%atc.bendix.com@RELAY.CS.NET"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jul 89 17:03:45 -0400
From: earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton)
Subject: MicroEMACS update.

This is a maintenance update to MicroEmacs 3.9e as adapted to the
Macintosh.  It fixes some shortcomings in both the program and in
documentation.  I have been using this revision level of the program
for two months, and am fully confident in its performance and
reliability.  It carries the same warranty as previous revisions,
namely, none.  Since I am in the final throes of completing my
doctorate, it is extremely unlikely that I will find time to answer
any mail concerning this revision of the program, ever.  Sorry.

Things which are new:

This file, a Binhexed StuffIt archive, contains some documentation.
Specifically, a help file, a tutorial, and a short document describing
some of the changes I have made are included for your edification and
amusement.  With these, a user who has not previously encountered any
flavor of emacs might have some hope of being able to figure out what
is going on.

The buffer menu now shows non-active buffers (i.e. those that have not
been read into memory yet) in shadowed style.  Furthermore, active
buffers appear at the top of the buffer menu.  This is real handy when
launching microemacs and a couple dozen documents from the Finder or
MPW Shell.

The window size and location are saved between invocations of the
program.  The startup file, "emacs.rc," is used for this purpose.  It
is up to you to create one and place it in the System Folder.  An
empty TEXT file named "emacs.rc" will do fine if you don't have any
startup commands.  MicroEmacs will create the resource fork.

The program no longer supports 64k ROMs.  This is because I no longer
have access to a 64k ROM machine for testing.  64k ROM users who wish
to use this program should acquire the ROM upgrade.

Earle R. Horton

[Archived as /info-mac/app/microemacs-39e.hqx; 128K]

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jul 89 19:09:00 PST
From: "JONATHON GUTOW" <gutow@bogart.stanford.edu>
Subject: Need advice on replacing a hard drive mechanism.

All Knowledgable Netters--
	I need advice on replacing a hard drive mechanism.  Thank you in
advance to all who respond.  Please respond via e-mail to me unless
you think what you have to say is of general interest.
	My problem is as follows.  I have an old serial hard disk that was
put together by Apple for demonstration purposes.  The drive
mechanism is near to failing--it gets stuck on about 50% of the
drive startups and randomly looses its place and wonUt recover.  I
think that the head is getting stuck.  I have a perfectly good case
and power supply.  The disk drive has controller cards which are
then connected to the Macintosh A communication port through a
card that is called an applebus card.  The computer IUm presently
using this with is a Mac+ equivalent minus the SCSI port, ie this
is a mac512 that has been upgraded.
	I am interested in the answer to two questions:
1) What is the most cost effective way of making myself a 20-40Mb
SCSI disk making use of the power supply and case?
2) Is there some drive mechanism that I can just replace the
Apple Widget drive mechanism with and continue to run the system
as I Have?  A corallary to this question is:  can this drive mechanism
then latter be converted to SCSI if I choose?

	Thanks again,

Jon Gutow

Gutow@bogart.stanford.edu

Jon Gutow
Chemistry Department
Stanford University
Stanford, CA  94305

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jul 89 17:23:21 BST
From: PHY6JEM%CMS1.UCS.LEEDS.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Physics and Astronomy fonts

As a lonely little astrophysics group we have a requirement for an
assortment of special symbols in our wordprocessing texts.
In particular we need a range of roman and greek characters with bars
over them to denote anti-particles, a perfect circle with a dot in it
for solar mass and even a 'C' with a hacek over it for Cerenkov.
These characters appear in written texts, so formula generators such
as Mathwriter and Formulator are not all that useful.
We need both bitmapped sceen fonts and downloadable postcript forms of
these characters.  I've seen some bitmap only fonts (like Dayton) that
answers some of our problems but not all of them.
I have access to Fontographer.  Its clear that with a bit of effort
I can take a little bit of Times, a bit of Symbol and a bit of Dingbats
and make the characters we want.
But surely someone else has already solved this problem.
Or is everyone else using TeX??
So come on accelerator labs and observatories; what's the solution?

                 John McMillan

Haverah Park group /South Pole Air shower experiment
Dept of Physics, University of Leeds, Leeds LS29JT, Great Britain.

PHY6JEM @ UK.AC.LEEDS.UCS.CMS1    (Janet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 89 10:32:32 PDT
From: USERQKMP@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: Recording screen/mouse events

To the fellow who wants to record mouse/key events:
I believe the product "Katmandu" from WOS Data systems (the Timbuktu people)
does what you want.  Farallon now sells it as "Screen Recorder" because they
think "Katmandu" didn't describe the product's function (As opposed to
"Timbuktu" which of course is blindingly obvious :-)
  If it doesn't, what I'd do is write an INIT to patch the GetNextEvent/
WaitNextEvent traps, and install a routine to save any events that come
thru the pipe to a datafile on disk.  Should be reasonably trivial...
Alex Curylo...Simon Fraser University...tel 604-298-8913

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 89 09:23:27 PDT
From: BBOLT%UALTAVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Red Ryder question

I am using a Mac running Red Ryder to send and receive messages on Bitnet.
After some custom configuration with Quickeys, it now operates quite well
as a VT100 terminal. But, I can't find a way to capture messages on the
Mac as text files. Using RR's "Capture incoming data to text file" option
captures the text, but also contains a high percentage of garbage
characters. The "Remember screens" option does not seem to remember
screens that contains messages even with the "Remember lines before full
screen clear" option turned on. I can copy and paste the text to a text
processor, but if the message is longer than 1 screen, this is a tedious
process. Does anyone know how this might be done?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 89 09:15 EST
From: Roberta Russell <PRUSSELL%OBERLIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Screensaver for IIcx and SE

Can anyone recommend a public domain screensaver that will work on both the
SE and IIcx and (most important) will function *after* the system
is shut down?  M0ire cdev2 only works from the Finder or an application,
and JClock hangs the IIcx.  Users on our public Mac network are instructed
to choose Shut Down and not to turn off the machines...Thanks in advance,

Robin Russell
Academic Computing Services
Oberlin College

------------------------------

Date: Sat 8 Jul 89 23:33:01-PDT
From: Brodie Lockard <I.ISIMO@macbeth.stanford.edu>
Subject: Shangai 2.0 Demo

Enclosed in the demonstration version of Shanghai 2.0.  Shanghai is a
deceptively simple strategy game using Mah-Jongg tiles.  It's very easy to
learn, but can be quite addicting.  Shanghai was MacUser's game of the year in
1986 (see the July '86 issue for a review).  New features since version 1.0:

o No copy protection
o Runs on all Macs from 512KE on up (demo version runs on a plain 512K)
o Completely MultiFinder friendly

o 3-D tiles with realistic shadows on all Macs (tile designs have been
  enlarged)
o All artwork is in 256 colors on color Macs (color Macs can still play the
  black and white version)
o Runs in all color modes, and under 32-bit QuickDraw
o Optional music and sound effects
o Optional background pictures appear beneath tiles on color Macs
o Optional alert when there are no more moves
o Will open games saved with version 1.0
o Does not shut down your Mac when you quit

Features retained from version 1.0:
o Games can be played as solitaire, challenge (one on one with timed moves), or
  tournament (any number of people play the same tile layout; high scores are
  recorded; optional timed moves)
o Comprehensive on-line help
o Option to show all moves, backup a move, or peek
o Games can be saved in progress

This demo includes most of the features of the full-featured game, but will
only play one configuration of tiles.  For the full version, see your dealer or
mail order house, or call Activision at (415)329-0500.  Enjoy!

Brodie Lockard
I.ISIMO@HAMLET.STANFORD.EDU

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/shanghai-20-part1.hqx; 162K
             /info-mac/demo/shanghai-20-part2.hqx; 162K
             /info-mac/demo/shanghai-20-part3.hqx; 162K
             /info-mac/demo/shanghai-20-part4.hqx; 40K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 89 08:00:44 EDT
From: dmg@lid.mitre.org (David Gursky)
Subject: SmartAlarms & MacConnection...

A follow-up on my previous message about SmartAlarms.

MacConnection no longer carries SmartAlarms.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jul 89 11:29 EDT
From: Maurice Volaski <V050FN5R@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: stubborn Rgn's

I have been having a peculiar problem with doing regions that contain
move and line commands. If I do the following:

HInchGridRegion:=NewRgn;
OpenRgn;
move(0,byQuarter); {byQuarter is 18}
line(0,1);
CloseRgn(HInchGridRegion);

it doesn't work. I have the checked the pen location, and it does change, but
the size of the region's RgnBBox does not. It stays at 0,0,0,0.
If I try the same thing with rectangles, it works fine.

Maurice

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jul 89 18:31:00 EDT
From: mikeoro@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael K O'Rourke)
Subject: Unity 3.1.1 (a text file concatenator)

Unity (Version 3.1.1)
===============================
Written by Michael O'Rourke
Copyright )1988,1989, Micro F/X; All Rights Reserved

When a program comes in 5,6, or even 3 separate 30K text documents, it is a
royal pain to have to use a text editor to bring them together in one file.
Unity alleviates this troublesome task.  In other words, Unity is a text file
concatenator.  It allows you to combine textfiles with such options as not
showing files after they are used and erasing files after use.  It lets you
put the resulting file into the first file or a new file.

This is a bug fix to fix a problem on the IIcx.  It also adds new features.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/unity-311.hqx; 24K]

End of Info-Mac Digest