Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (07/14/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 13 Jul 89       Volume 7 : Issue 120

Today's Topics:
                        A line-counting XCMD?
                         Alphabetizing Icons
                               Applefax
                         Cairo-shootout query
Cleaning up & alphabetizing icons (was Public domain software request)
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #118
                      Need help with .hqx files
                           NFS and Mac IIs
             Reply to inquiry re Rapport Drive controller
                   Segment unloading when Printing?
                 Sending a BREAK signal in RedRyder?
                  sending postscript in a pict file
      Serious bug in early copies of Microsoft Excel 2.2 for Mac
                          Up With PostScript
                           Word 4.0 Problem

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: 11 July 89, 15:51:29 CST
From: GA0095%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu   (Robert J. Brenstein)
Subject: A line-counting XCMD?

To figure out the number of lines displayable in a text field you don't
need XCMD (if you know the number of lines of text you want to show).
A HyperTalk function can do that.  Try the following script:

  function visLines cardId
    put the textHeight of card field id cardId into lineHite
    get the rect of card field id cardId
    put item 4 of it - item 2 of it into fieldHite
    put fieldHite/lineHite into fieldLines
    return trunc of fieldLines
  end visLines

The calling would look something like this:

   get id of card field "theInfo"
   if visLines(it) > nLines then
     set style of card field id it to scrolling
   else
     set style of card field id it to rectangle
   end if

If you don't know the number of lines, things are getting complicated
since you need to figure out how text is broken (wrapped) between lines.
If you happen to use a proportional font, you can still come up with
a HyperTalk script to do it, but you need a XCMD otherwise.

If the field is unlocked (meaning that user types the text in), you
may try to click after the last word, get the mouse location and use
the information about the field rect to calculate whether to change
the field style or not.  I haven't actually tested this, but it should
work after some fiddling and diddling with HyperTalk.

By the way, you need PackIt III utility to unpack .pit files.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 89 15:54:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Edward John Sabol <es2j+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Alphabetizing Icons

I don't know of any program that will let one alphabetize Finder icons, but I
do have something better. The Finder will do this with a little effort. Here's
how to do it:

1. Make the window you want to alphabetize the active window. Also, the window
containing the icon for that folder should be visible somewhere.

2. Select "by Name" from the View menu.

3. Type command-A to select all the files in the folder.

4. Drag all of the files to the shaded folder icon and drop them in it.

5. Select "by Icon" from the View menu. The icons will now be in alphabetical
order.

I remember getting this tip from an old issue of MacUser a long time ago, so
don't credit me for discovering this technique.

Edward J. Sabol        Internet: es2j+@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 89 11:49:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Andrea Pauline Mark <am3g+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Applefax

Has anybody out there ever used an Applefax Modem?
I have had one for four months and find it useful
for sending faxes from my computer.  I am wondering
whether they are popular among Mac User's or (probably)
not well known.

I am also going to be selling it, as my need for
a fax is now over. If anyone is interested or has
questions or comments, let me know.

Andrea

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jul 89 07:16:37 PDT
From: WING%ATF.MFENET@ccc.mfecc.llnl.gov
Subject: Cairo-shootout query

Some time ago I downloaded Stunt-Copter, Zero-Gravity, and Cairo-Shootout
>From the game folder.  They were all un-binhexed and un-stuffed with Stuffit
1.5.  Stunt Copter and Zero Gravity work fine (my daughter thanks you).
However Cairo Shootout bombs.  Under Multi-Finder it issues an "the application Cairo Shootout 1.2a has unexpectedly quit, out of application memory." message.
This message is issued at load time.  Under Finder it starts to load, puts up
its menu bar, then freezes.  The results are the same on a MAC-II (5MB) and
a MAC-IIx (4MB).  Has anyone else commented on this behavior?  I repeated
the down-load with the same results.  Since both other games run fine on this
configuration, I assume (incorrectly?) that it isn't a problem with the
CPU.  Any thoughts, could the HQX file be corrupted?  Thanks again.  BW

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 89 09:51:11 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: Cleaning up & alphabetizing icons (was Public domain software request)

It doesn't take any public-domain or pay-for-it software to perform a
combined "alphabetize" and "clean up".  The Finder will do it for you.
The trick is undocumented, as far as I know, but it works perfectly.

Here's how to clean up and alphabetize the contents of a folder "Foo":

1) Open the Foo folder.

2) If the Foo window covers up the Foo folder icon (on the desktop or
   in a disk or another folder), move the window out of the way so that
   you can see the Foo folder icon.

3) Select "View by icon" or "View by small icon".

4) Select "View by name".

5) Enter command-A (Select All) to highlight all of the alphabetically-
   sorted names that appear in the Foo window.

6) Click on any one of the highlighted icons in the Foo window, and drag
   the entire highlighted list of files from the Foo window over to the
   Foo folder icon... drop them in the folder.

7) Select "View by icon" or "View by small icon",... choose the same view-
   style that you chose in step (3).

You will now find that the icons (or small icons) in the Foo window have
been sorted alphabetically and placed on the cleanup-grid locations.

Apparently, this trick works because of two little Finder characteristics:
(a) When you drag around a bunch of files that are sorted by name, the
Finder performs the move in alphabetic order, and (b) when you drop files
into a disk or folder icon, the Finder assigns positions for them
according to the last graphic (icon or small-icon) view-style that you
had used in the corresponding window.

I infer that the same trick would work if you did a "View by type"
instead of a view-by-name;  the files would be cleaned up and sorted
according to their types rather than their names.

Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:   coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,  ...@uunet.uu.net
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 89 10:09:55 CDT
From: Did you ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #118

>Date: Fri, 07 Jul 89 20:14:11 EST
>From: Alan Stein <STEIN%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
>Subject: Ram Upgrades
>
>  The upcoming System 7.0 is making me think about upgrading some Mac +'s
>I'm responsible for from 1 to 2 Megs.  A call to a "friendly" Computerland
>resulted in a quote of $800 per upgrade, compared to mail order prices
>of @$150 for a 1 meg SIMM.
>  Clearly, the $650 markup is a bit high, so I'm curious about how others
>have increased their internal memory.  Is it a routine do it yourself
>project?

Just upgraded via CompuRite here in Houston.  $375 for 2 1MB chips, $45 for
installation, plus tax came to about $450 total.  Computerland quoted
me $650 and I told them that they were grossly overpriced.

By the way, remember to ask for the 256K chips back after the upgrade. When
I take my Plus to 4MB I can get the Softstep adapter and only have to buy
one more 1MB SIMM.

By the way, does anyone know if System 7 requires 2 or 2.5M?  Softstep was
selling a 1-2MB upgrade for $279 a couple of weeks ago.

Jim Bradley

P.S. I have no affiliation with Softstep products, just lots of 256K chips
lying around with nothing to process.
Acknowledge-To: <ACSH@UHUPVM1>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 89 17:18:47 PDT
From: marks@sun.com (Mark Stein)
Subject: Need help with .hqx files

Hi there,

I am a veteran UNIX hacker who has recently moved into the Mac realm.
I've been trying to get up to speed on procedures for downloading stuff
>From info-mac (in binhex format) to my mac, but have not suceeded in
actually getting anything to run yet (probably due to some unknown
error on my part).  Anyway, I am seeking any and all helpful hints on
what software I need (and where to get it), tips on downloading
procedures, and comments on what I have attempted already.

Here's my environment:
	Mac II running Red Ryder 10.3
	2400 baud dialup to a Sun4 workstation
	Kermit on the Sun

I downloaded the unix tools from the info-mac archive and compiled them
on my Sun.  From reading the various README files and source code, I
think that I have a basic understanding of the various file formats
(binhex, macbinary, stuffit, and PIT), but a not-so-good understanding
of which of them is used when, the best way to download each of them,
and what tools to use on the mac once they are there.

OK, so here's what I have tried:

	- use mcvert to convert util/binhex4.hqx to binhex_4_0.bin (type APPL)
	- use kermit to send binhex_4_0.bin to the mac
	- Red Ryder is supposed to recognize the macbinary format (it
	  appears to) and write the mac file.  Red Ryder's kermit seems
	  to think that the file is only 256 bytes long (in the xfer
	  status), yet transfers the entire file.  The file appears in
	  Red Ryder's "delete" file menu, yet does not appear when the
	  finder displays the folder.

I have also tried downloading other files (using xbin as well as
mcvert) with similar lack of success.  Any and all comments and
pointers (especially on how I can bootstrap the process!) gratefully
accepted via email!

Thanks...

	--Mark Stein <marks@sun.com>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 89 13:55:57 EDT
From: gavin@caf.mit.edu (Gavin C. H. Zau)
Subject: NFS and Mac IIs

	I have a system of PCs connected to a MIPS M120 running
NFS to seerve files.  Now I am considering purchasing some
Mac IIs for graphics work.  Is there a NFS for the Mac IIs
connected through an ether net.  If not is there a alternative
file serving method.  An important point is that data files has
to be accessible by both the PCs and the Mac IIs.  Thanks.

Gavin Zau	Dept of Chemical Engineering, MIT
		gavin@caf.mit.edu	mefl@eagle.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 89 19:04 PDT
From: Ron Webster                          <IC6JRHW@oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: Reply to inquiry re Rapport Drive controller

This is a reply to Michael J. Paisley's inquiry, which appeared in Info-Mac
Digest Volume 7, Issue 118, 11 July 1989, regarding Kennect Technology's:
Rapport and Drive 2.4 (I hope I sent this to the right place):

Dear Mr. Paisley:

The Rapport unit you mentioned in your note is a Kennect Technology
product.  Hang with me a moment as I seem to divert.  I purchased a Turbo
Floppy 1.4 from Peripheral Land, Inc. (PLI).  The PLI drive is in direct
competition with Kennect's Rapport and Drive 2.4.  The PLI drive provides
for MS-DOS-to-Mac (and vice versa) translation (via Apple File Exchange,
which is part of the Apple system software--no other software is required).
I believe the Kennect Technology unit also translates via Apple File Exchange.
The PLI unit works very well (I have translated probably a hundred files
in the past month, since obtaining the PLI drive).

I considered the Kennect Technology combination but opted for the PLI drive
because of cost (more on this shortly).  The PLI drive reads and writes
MS-DOS 720 KB and 1.4 MB formats; it also reads and writes Apple's 1.4 MB
format (stupid as it may seem, it does not handle Apple's 800 KB format).
I needed the 1.4 MB Apple format in addition to the MS-DOS-to-Mac
translation, so if I had gone the Kennect Technology route, I would have
needed both Rapport and Drive 2.4--$295 + $495 = nearly $800!  The PLI
drive cost our group $321 (UCLA gets an educational institution discount).

When I found out that the PLI drive would not handle Apple's 800 KB format,
I began regretting the order.  I wish I had the Kennect Technology combo.
Rapport + Drive 2.4 will handle MS-DOS 720 KB and 1.4 MB as well as all
current Apple standard formats (800 KB and 1.4 MB--I don't know if the
400 KB format is supported).  In addition, the combo provides for 1.2 MB
on standard density diskettes (Apple files) and 2.4 MB on high density
diskettes (again, Apple files).  Even though the 1.2 MB and 2.4 MB formats
are not standard, and diskettes so formatted could only be read on systems
that had Rapport and an external drive (or Drive 2.4 in the case of 2.4 MB),
these formats could prove handy.  I for one prefer backing-up my files on
floppy disks (rather than cartridges or cassettes) because I often have to
reload files, and reloading is much faster from floppies.  Having 2.4 MB
diskettes would cut down on diskette accumulation over time.

In sum, if you have the money, I recommend going with the Kennect Technology
combo--you can start out just buying Rapport and add Drive 2.4 later (since
you indicated that MS-DOS-to-Mac translation is your primary concern).  And
I assure you that you will be happy with your purchase.  As I stated above,
the PLI translates between MS-DOS and Apple formats quickly and easily.  I
spoke with the people at Kennect Technology several times as I was going
through my decision process, and I have confidence that their products will
work at least as well as PLI's.  I'm limited by grant funding, but I plan
to get the Kennect Technology combo as soon as I can fit it into our
budget.

One hitch.  When I translate MS-DOS files to my Mac, the transfer handles
linefeeds in such a way that I end up with a non-printable character at
the beginning of every line of the resulting Mac file (the character is
actually a linefeed--code hex 0A).  This has not been a problem, however,
even for fairly large files.  I simply launch an ASCII text editor (e.g.,
QUED), select and copy one of the linefeeds (in "Show Invisibles" mode they
show up as squares on the screen) and paste it into the search string box
dialog box that appears when "Find and Change" has been selected, and I
globally replace it with no character.  It takes only a few seconds.

One other word (I'm not sure this is clear from the ads):  These file
exchanges work only for text (straight ASCII) files.  If you want to
exchange files from spreadsheets or word processors, you're essentially
out of luck.  Any decent word processor has a "save as text" facility.
And some programs have MS-DOS and Mac companion programs that may be able
to exchange files via a connectivity product such as the PLI drive or
Kennect Technology's Rapport.  Word Perfect for the Mac, for example, is
able to read and write files in IBM-PC Word Perfect format.

Ron Webster (BITNET:  IC6JRHW@UCLAMVS; ARPANET:  IC6JRHW@OAC.UCLA.EDU)
-------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed 12 Jul 1989 18:17 CDT
From: <MSER001%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Segment unloading when Printing?

Does anyone have any Good reasons for Unloading all segments while your
print routine is printing?  I would assume that the segments are unloaded
only if you have a large print routine.  Of course it could also be that
the print manager/drivers takes up some more memory?  My application is
relatively small 100k, and at the moment runs fine under 300k size under
multifinder.  The print routines seem to work just fine at the moment.

If anyone knows where I can find more information on this subject, could
you let me know?  I have about 1 more week of work till the application
is ready for Alpha, and I am not too sure about the segment unloading.
Maybe I am close to a crash(?), or is it just common sense with Large Programs?

Thanks,

Scott Hutinger -> w.i.u.  macomb IL

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 89 12:54:34 EDT
From: David Rubin <RUBIN@graf.poly.edu>
Subject: Sending a BREAK signal in RedRyder?

Is it possible to send a BREAK using RedRyder communications software?
If so, how is it done?

Please respond by E-mail since I do not read this list... Thanks.

David Rubin                        |     INTERNET: RUBIN@graf.poly.edu
Polytechnic University             |       BITNET: RUBIN@POLYGRAF
Brooklyn, NY                       |

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 89 18:55 EDT
From: Maurice Volaski <V050FN5R@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: sending postscript in a pict file

I am trying to have Cricket Draw or any program that reads in PICT files to
read in PicComments containting postscript code, so that when one of these
packages prints, it prints using the postscript information in the
picComments, not the screen representation.I have tried sending it basically
the same file that I send to the laserwriter, but it doesn't work, at least as
far as printing is concerned.

Anybody know how to do this?

While we're on the subject of postscript, does any one know the file format
for doing an EPSF file such that when it is imported it displays a screen
rendtion of what is contained in the postscript code.

Maurice Volaski
Dept. of Physiology
SUNYAB

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 89 10:59 EDT
From: Peter Szolovits <psz@zermatt.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: Serious bug in early copies of Microsoft Excel 2.2 for Mac

Yesterday I discovered a serious bug in Excel 2.2 for the Mac that
causes incorrect calculations though everything (except the results)
looks fine.  The problem has apparently been corrected within a month
after Excel 2.2 started shipping, though according to Microsoft tech
support the newer versions are not identified by a revised minor version
number (boo, hiss!).  Several thousand of the original, "damaged" (read
"buggy") programs were shipped.  If your ORIGINAL Excel program has both
a creation date and a modified date of Fri, May 5, 1989, 12:00 PM, then
you have the buggy version.  (It's not enough to look at the mod date of
the copy you're using, because that gets changed when you make various
option changes in Excel -- apparently.)  If you do have this bug, you
can call customer support to get a newer (claimed fixed) version.

Here's how to reproduce a simple version of the bug:
1.  Open a new worksheet.
2.  In cell C1 enter the formula =A1+B1
3.  In cell A1 enter the formula =1+2.  C1 then shows 3, as it should.
Now suppose that you had really meant to enter that "=1+2" in cell B1
instead of A1.  You can't just cut the A1 cell and paste it into B1
because that will screw up the (relative) references in C1.  So instead
you are going to copy the formula "=1+2" from A1 to B1.
4.  Click on A1 to select it.
5.  Select the contents of the formula bar (by dragging over it, say)
6.  Cut it via Cmd-X
7.  Click on B1
8.  Paste (Cmd-V) to enter the formula into B1.
You will then see blank in A1, 3 in B1 and 0 in C1.  The formula in C1
still says =A1+B1, so all looks fine, but the wrong number results.
This is, of course, one of the real nighmares of any spreadsheet user,
and will make me sweat next time I prepare a budget.  This bug does not
appear, by the way, in the older version 1.5.  Also, at least for this
simple example, saving the worksheet to a file, quitting Excel, then
re-opening the spreadsheet again will fix it, though a simple recalc
won't.

Disclaimers:  the usual; I'm certainly not advertising for Microsoft!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 89 14:25 EST
From: <ELBERT%MIDD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Up With PostScript

As another developer with interests in graphics,
I can't help but throw my two-cents in the\
commentary on Apple divesting itself of
Adobe stock.  First, I have no idea about
the smarts of taking their $90M and running...
seems to me big bucks are an OK thing. BUT,
the implication that they are cashing in on
PostScript is another issue.  I agree with
most of Brodie Lockard's recent note on Apple's
problems for developers and the potential
confusions and incompatablities to be caused
by Apple's "replacement" for PostScript.
I think there are two issues 'tho.  One is
Apple's plan to write their own PostScript-
clone interpreter to keep the costs of their
printers down (cynics read: to keep Apple's
profit margin up).  I don't like clones 'cause
I hate irritating, waiting-to-be-discovered
differences between implementations.  The other
issue is the apparent move, on Apple's part, away
>From PostScript as its printing environment.
The enhancement of QuickDraw has its good points
and I see the tradeoffs of heading towards
Display PostScript BUT I'd hate to think that
Apple's "lead" would relegate the Mac to
second class status for PostScript development
environments.  I'd hate to see the Illustrator's
and Freehand's of the future being developed
on other platforms and only being partially,
at best, ported to the Mac.

The discussion of "Turbo"QuickDraw as up to
everything that PostScript can offer is
just plain wrong.  I don't support
PostScript because it is a defacto standard
but because it is a well thought out,
reasonably mature, extensible Page
Description Language which meets nearly
all the needs demonstrated or projected for
graphic applications (OK it's the pits with
bitmapped images..).  I don't see QuickDraw
getting there anytime soon.  The talk of
outline fonts in QuickDraw is nice...but
PostScript is a hell of a lot more than
outline fonts!!  I like Bezier curves, rich
and easy coordinate transformations, ASCII code
(for easy transmission and modification after
you've left you're application), compatability
that has encouraged the National Science Foundation
to make PostScript the lingua franca of scientific
grant proposals for networked submission, and
yes I like the stack-dictionary programming style --
I find it powerful, easy (after a short learning curve),
and interesting.

So as Hans and Frantz might say, "Apple, you can
hear me now and believe me later...PostScript's
got muscle.  Don't throw away one of the biggest
advantages of your system."

David Elbert
Geology Department
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT  05753
(802) 388 3711 x5652
Elbert@MIDD.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jul 89 06:06:27 MST
From: ICBAL%ASUACAD.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Word 4.0 Problem

Date: 13 July 89, 05:59:36 MST
>From: ICBAL    at ASUACAD
To:   INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU at ARPA

I work in a Math Dept. where MS Word and MathType is the favored
combination for preparing tests, referee's reports, etc.  But there is a
big problem with Word 4.0 which has sent us scurrying back to Word 3.02:

When an equation is created in MathType (or any other equation
processor) and is pasted into a Word paragraph, it is pasted
sitting "on the baseline" and must be selected and subscripted in
order to line up properly with the line of text it is pasted into.
This is the same in both word 3.0 and 4.0.  However, Word 3.0 will
"close up" the space above the pasted line as soon as the equation is
subscripted; but Word 4.0 will not--resulting in a very large gap
above the line containing the equation.  This makes for very unsightly
paragraphs.  The problem seems to exist with any pasted graphic.

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem with Word 4.0?
I appears that Microsoft wants us to use Word's built-in formulas
(which we don't like) or none at all.

Bruce Long
Department of Mathematics
Arizona State University            BITNET:  ICBAL@ASUACAD