Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (07/20/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 19 Jul 89       Volume 7 : Issue 124

Today's Topics:
                     appletalk-daisychain or star
                          Broadcast problem
                    Changed icons for system files
                     ColorFinder and Color Icons
                         C vs Pascal (2 msgs)
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #122
                      Macintosh-II Memory Prices
                  Need a Mac text-searching utiltiy
                              PlaySound
                     Printer driver for LaserJet?
                            SecureInit 1.8
                             Windows 2.1

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 89 15:35 CDT
From: Fred Schulz <CHEE77@uhvax1.uh.edu>
Subject: appletalk-daisychain or star

Is it ok to connect several appletalk nodes together using
a star configuration, or must they must be daisy-chained. We have about
10 macs, a laserwriter and an imagewriter II - several of the
macs' and the imagewriter's phoneNet connections emanate from a 1-to-5
modular plug adapter. Printing to this imagewriter II is much slower than
printing to a imagewriter II on a similarly equipped, but completely daisy-
chained, appletalk network in another area. Switching printers changes nothing.

Could the star configuration be the cause of the problem?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jul 89 08:21:00 EDT
From: Michael J Antonio <MIKEA%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Broadcast problem

Well, I feel kind of silly, because my problem with BROADCAST was that I
hadn't installed the AppleShare Workstation.  I just dragged the AppleShare
and ApplePrep into my system folder, and expected it to work.  HOWEVER,
I'm a bit dissapointed that BROADCAST crashes the machine because of this.
Couldn't it just put up a message saying that it can't work, and then
refuse to work?  It would have made a lot more sense, and I would have
figured out the AppleShare problem when my servers failed to mount.

Thanks to everyone who sent mail,

Mike"I'm leaving, so don't send me any mail"A

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 89 17:15 EST
From: Bruce <LEBAN@cs.umass.edu>
Subject: Changed icons for system files

Lee Brannon (CCREBEL @ INDST) writes:
>      I have a problem. My system, Finder, Clipboard and scrapbook icons
> have all changed.  Sounds like the scores virus, right? Well maybe.
> ... to better drawings of the mac plus with shaded screens ...
> Any ideas?

This is probably not a virus. Several distribution disks for BCS included
a system file with hacked icons (macs with shaded screens to be precise)).
It's easy to get this icon instead of your existing icons due to  features
of the Finder which try to copy icons when you copy files. You probably copied
a file with one of these icons in it without realizing it (perhaps inside a
folder). Reinitializing the desktop will solve the problem IF you already
deleted the file.  (command-option on entry to finder, restart under
multifinder, or for hackers, under multifinder with macsbug and no running
applications, "es" and then hold down command-option).  If not, I guess you
can look for all files of type ZSYS with the bundle bit set.  DiskTop can do
the first part and then do a get info to see if the bundle bit is set.
Good luck.
	--- Bruce Leban
	    leban@cs.umass.edu
	    leban@umass.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jul 89 12:07:37 EDT
From: rpk@goldhill.com
Subject: ColorFinder and Color Icons

I've been using the Color Icon Editor (ResCicn from Equileo in France,
posted to Info-Mac) pasted into ResEdit 1.2.  I had real problems with
earlier versions of ResEdit, but all you Apple Partners out there
should have ResEdit 1.2 by now, right ?  It's a little buggy
(especially Undo and the line tool), but it works.  I've limited
myself to 16-color icons -- I didn't realize that there were color
icon editors out there that weren't as flexible (in terms of pallette
size and selection) as ResCicn.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 19 Jul 1989 08:17 CDT
From: "Scott Hutiner" <MSER001%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: C vs Pascal

About C and Pascal.  I bought Both C and Pascal due to the fact that MacApp
was only available with Pascal.  APDA sold a bundle with C and Pascal
which was very reasonable.  Needless to say, I only used the Pascal to
compile the MacApp sources.  But, I decided to wait for C++.  Maybe APDA
should see who purchased C, Pascal and MacApp.

Scott Hutinger -> Macomb Projects.WIU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jul 89 13:39:52 BST
From: ms@racal-itd.co.uk

At the risk of starting a religious war...

It's interesting that C has become so popular in the Mac developer community,
given that the Toolbox is oriented to Pascal. I wonder if this is just because
more people came to the Mac with C experience, or if it partly represents a
frustration with using Pascal. (How many Assembly Language Notes refer to
relatively simple pointer coercions or global memory accesses?) Hypercard's
XCMD/XFCN interface, which uses an argc/argv-ish convention with null terminated
strings, seems almost perverse given its initial "almost-part-of-the-system" status.

BTW, any rumours about a C++ 2.0 compiler in the wind? I'd love to see a
programmer's interface of Lightspeed C quality put to use on C++.

+-----------------------------------------+---------------------+
| Mark Smith, Racal Imaging Systems Ltd., |   ms@ritd.co.uk     |
| Rankine Road, Basingstoke, Hampshire,   |        ||           |
| England RG24 0NW  (tel: +44 256 469943) | ..uunet!ukc!ritd!ms |
+-----------------------------------------+---------------------+

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 89 16:59:56 PDT
From: rb-dc1!wcody@uunet.uu.net (Bill Cody)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #122

When the SE/30 was announced several months ago, I read about Apple's plan
to offer an SE to SE/30 upgrade path.  I need more memory and processor
speed; should I go with the SE/30 upgrade or spend money on a 3rd party
68030 plug-in board?

Has anyone taken the SE to SE/30 plunge who can shed some light?

Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 89 16:01:18 PDT
From: nomdenet@venera.isi.edu
Subject: Macintosh-II Memory Prices

   Soon my pocketbook will contain enough $$$ to satisfy my craving for more
memory and a hard disk for my Mac II, so in late June I checked prices
of both 256KB and 1MB SIMMs.  The recent messages anent memory upgrades
prompted me to share the results of my survey.
   From the pages of MacUser and Macworld I compiled a list of about 20 memory
sellers, whom I proceeded to call.  Herewith are the top ones, with prices
per SIMM, and notes:

American Micro Distributors, Inc.       (714) 840-5560

   1MB SMD, 100ns:   $139
   lifetime guarantee
   Intel chips, their boards
   in business 7 years (brokering chips)
   assembling SIMMS for 2 years
   accept P.O.s

CDC Enterprise                          (714) 630-4633

   1MB SMD, 120ns:   $139
   256KB SMD, 120ns:   37.50
   one-year warrantee
   one-day repair/replacement policy
   "will meet any reasonable competition"

Digi-Grahpics                           (801) 544-2009

   1MB SMD,   100ns:  $149
   1MB DIP,   100ns:   129
   256KB SMD, 100ns:    40
   one-year guarantee
   in business 4 years; Mac upgrades, SIMMs for 1 year
   accept P.O.s

Mac Friends                             (800) 331-1322

   256KB SIMMs:   $37.50
   "American-made quality"

MacLand                                 (800) 333-3353  (602) 820-5802

   4x1MB SMD, 100ns:  $598
   one-year warrantee; replacement
   accept P.O.s

MacProducts USA                         (800) 622-3475

   1MB DIP, 100/120ns:   149
   lifetime guarantee on SIMMs, 1-year guarantee on chips

Newer Technology                        (800) 678-3726  (316) 685-4904

   256KB low profile    $ 65
   1MB high profile      150
   1MB low  profile      155
   80 ns
   five-year guarantee

Open Mac Enterprises                    (415) 682-0440

   min. 1-year warranty
   Ram II+II:  4MB CMOS DIPs, 120ns:  $580
   in business 4 years
   much university, government, & Fortune-500 business
   accept P.O.s

South Coast Electronics                 (213) 489-7824

   1MB SMD, 80ns:  $129
   30-day money-back guarantee
   lifetime guarantee
   immediate shipping
   credit card or C.O.D. only
   5 years, memory products for PCs, PS/2s, Compaqs
   Mac SIMMs for 6 months

Western Automation                      (800) 227-4637  (303) 449-6400

   1MB DIPs, 120ns:  $149
   one-year factory warrantee
   Since '79, in CAD market
   SIMMs are a side line

   These prices date from the second half of June, though South Coast's 7/13
price to Joe Kazura indicates the prices probably haven't changed much.
(I did get the distinct impression that 1MB SIMMs might continue declining
through at least the summer.)
   Standard disclaimers apply; your mileage may vary.  To date my sole
dealings with these companies have been phone calls; Ma Bell provides my only
connection with them.

A. R. White
USC/Information Sciences Institute
4676 Admiralty Way
Marina Del Rey, California
90292-6695
(213) 822-1511, x162
(213) 823-6714  facsimile

ARPA:  nomdenet @ ISI.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jul 89 10:15:43 CDT
From: Jeff Balvanz <@ccvax.iastate.edu:GR.JLB@ISUMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Need a Mac text-searching utiltiy

I'm on a mission from the office of the Provost here.  We are
looking for a program to scan Mac files for a specific text string
to locate all the files on a volume containing that string (sort of
like grep, I think).  Since the task is fairly simple (again, I
think) there ought to be something out there, possibly in the public
domain, but in my random searching of the info-mac archives and the
software catalogs I haven't been able to identify anything.  I will
accept either PD or commercial solutions.  Thanks in advance.

Jeff Balvanz                              BITNET: GR.JLB@ISUMVS
Senior Technical Consultant               INTERNET:  GR.JLB@WYLBUR.IASTATE.EDU
Microcomputer Services                    PHONE:  (515) 294-8683
Iowa State University Computation Center  USMail:  191 DURHAM CENTER, ISU,
                                                   AMES, IA 50011
"6502 (compatibles) FOREVER!"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 89 10:22:37 PDT
From: PUGH@ccc.mfecc.llnl.gov
Subject: PlaySound

Here is a newer version of PlaySound, the simplest sound player in the
Macintosh universe.  It puts up an SFGetFile dialog and allows you to select a
file of type FSSD (as created by SoundCap, SoundWave, and Sound Recorder) and
it plays it.  If you hold the option key down it will play it repeatedly.  Any
sound can be interrupted by a mouse click.  When you pick Cancel, it quits.

Changes in this version:  A bigger dialog box.  Less crashes due to better use
of the Sound Manager (from tips in the Apple Q&A stack).  A SIZE resource for
MultiFinder.

Share and Enjoy.

Jon

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/programs/playsound.hqx; 9K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jul 89 08:48:37 EDT
From: Richard Goldenberg <golden@VLSI.LL.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Printer driver for LaserJet?

I have a Mac SE and I have access to a HP LaserJet Series 2 printer.
Can someone tell me the story on Printer Drivers for the LaserJet?  Is
there a Public Domain Driver?  Thanks in advance.

Richard Goldenberg
golden@vlsi.ll.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jul 89 16:08:19 EDT
From: Peter Galko <PTRPB%UOTTAWA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SecureInit 1.8

Recently I obtained the latest version of an application/init
which would seem to me to be of interest in a lot of university
environments where many users may have access to the same
Macintosh. The product is known as SecureInit and the latest
shareware version is provided below, which reportedly will work
until sometime in September (this is version 1.8; the full-
featured commercial version is version 2.0 which also available
now).

Basically this program is able to maintain to a large extent a
given configuration to the system software on a mac volume (by
automatically restoring selected files upon startup from pristene
versions, deleting unauthorized files from the system folder,
etc.), restrict users from running appliactions from unathorized
volumes, etc.  Only someone with the application an password can
alter the configuration once a volume has been "protected".

The list of features from the shareware documentation is as
follows (these features can be enabled or disbled as required):

 1. Close all windows of selected disks/volumes at startup.
 2. Make the system folder invisible.
 3. Replace the system file at startup if it seems to have
    become corrupted, and then restart your Mac.
 4. Replace any master or user selected files in the system folder
    every time you restart your Mac. (ImageWriter and LaserWriter
    drivers and even the Finder are often corrupted by system crashes)
 5. Delete any undeclared file in the system folder. (Useful in
    destroying unknown init's, files, etc...)
 6. Lock all the applications.
 7. Verify the applications on the protected disks/volumes
 8. Disabling corrupted applications on protected disks/volumes
    and changing their Icon.
 9. Lock selected files in the system folder.
10. Lock the "protected" disks/volumes if the the Mac is started from
    another volume.
11. Eject any system diskette being inserted in any drive and
    unmount any non-declared System disks/volumes to prevent
    a hard disk configuration from being changed by anyone else
    other than than the user or the master having the SecureInit*
    application and knowing the configuration password.
12. Prevent a user from running any application from anywhere
    other than from the Mac's protected disks/volumes.
13. Purge oldest non-declared files. This means you can make a list
    of never-to-delete files, and other files will be deleted as
    necessary when disk space is needed for new files. Empty files
    can also be automatically deleted.
14. The SecureInit* init's may be installed into the system itself.
15. SecureInit* will let you do all this to any disks/volumes
    that are on-line.
16. In the commercial version (2.0-A), every configuration can be
    password protected.

The documentation for the application is a bit rough (the author
is from Switzerland and English is not his first language), and
the documentation with the comercial version is only in French
but the author has told me that he is negotiating with some
North American distributor to provide the English translation
and distribute the program in N.A.  The shareware edition below
is in English (though not fluently).

Finally, I disclaim any connection with the author of the program
or his company except as a short time user of the program!

[Thanks to Peter for his heroic efforts to send this file to Info-Mac despite
 many bad connections. Also, I remember hearing that this program may have
 some important bugs which could delete files on your hard disk. Use with
 care! -Bill]

[Archived as /info-mac/init/secureinit.hqx; 190K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 89 03:25:48 PDT
From: GER.XSE0010@applelink.apple.com
Subject: Windows 2.1

...This version fixes a bug, that causes "Zoom" to select a wrong
window sometimes.

For those that don't know: Windows is an control panel extension that will add
a windows menu to the finder and other applications. You can configure each
application separateley in the control panel.

Copyright 1988 Joachim Lindenberg, Sommerstrasse 4,
7500 Karlsruhe 1, West Germany. All rights reserved.
Windows is shareware. If you like and use it, send me US $10.
International users: Send your check, turning it into cash
costs me just $0.50.

Joachim Lindenberg
GER.XSE0010@applelink.apple.com

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/windows-21.hqx; 28K]

End of Info-Mac Digest