Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (07/24/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 23 Jul 89       Volume 7 : Issue 126

Today's Topics:
                             Arc to PNT?
           Backing up a cartridge drive; DeskWriter thanks
                     ColorFinder and Color Icons
                      ColorIconEdit/ColorFinder
                  CursorEdit, cursor editing program
                            Disktop 3.0.4
       Do-it-yourself Memory upgrades - one user's experiences
                     Expensive SE/30 video cards
                          Fade to Black 3.2
                                 Help
                            HP DeskWriter
                   Hypercard and C help wanted ...
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #123
           Info..., a super-Get Info...-type desk accessory
               insertion points and cmd-period in XCMDs
                   Lines, color demo for the Mac II
                  MacII SIMMS Chips...their uses...
                    Newest version of FKEY MANAGER
                         opening (gasp!) Macs
                                 PICT
                        PostScript bug/MS Word
                         RS-232 to mini-DIN 8
                       SIMM pricing information
                         ugly vertical fonts
                          Word and MathType

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sun, 23 Jul 89 15:57:56 CST
From: d.m.p.@pro-party.cts.com (Don Peaslee)
Subject: Arc to PNT?

Reading about the program MacArc has got me wondering exactly what that
program does.  Can it de-arc a graphics file, for example, which can then be
viewed as a Paint or Pic file?  If not, is there a program that will take a
file that has been arc-ed and make it into a file that is usable by the Mac?

Thanks.

Don

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 89 14:47:15 -0400
From: mjkobb@athena.mit.edu
Subject: Backing up a cartridge drive; DeskWriter thanks

     Has anyone out there had any experience backing up a removable-cartridge
hard disk to a second cartridge?  Can this be done relatively painlessly?  I'm
considering a cartridge drive to expand my storage, and it would seem to be
the ideal to back up the cartridge drive and my 20Mb fixed hard disk to a
second cartridge, using some form of compression.  Is there software that
would make this friendly if you have lots of RAM (I have 2.5Mb now, and will
probably have 4 soon), requiring a minimum of swapping of the cartridge?  Also,
how rough is it on the drive to swap the cartridge a lot?  (I'd certainly be
doing incremental backups, and it would be really nice if some backup software
existed that would figure out all of what needed to be changed, then made
the changes in bunches, rather than changing each file as it went along.  I
assume that good backup software works this way, but since I've only backed-up
to floppy before, I haven't really seen the results...)
     Also, does anyone have any thoughts on cartridge drives in general?  They
seem to be a really good value, since for an extra $100+ you can add another
42Mb of storage (not online, of course, but archival).  How are they with
reliability?  Recommended brands?  Vendors?  What are the fastest drives?

     Finally, thanks to the folks who responded to my question regarding the
HP DeskWriter.  John Gersh was nice enough to mail me a summary of the
interest, I can post that summary here, or I could mail it to individuals.

--Mike

------------------------------

Date: 22 Jul 89 02:16:26 GMT
From: Scott Truesdell <truesdel@ics.uci.edu>
Subject: ColorFinder and Color Icons

Latest version of ResCicn is 1.0b6, which works with 32-bit Color
QuickDraw.  I need to reget the latest version from Frederic as I
received the first 1.0b6 which had a serious memory management bug,
then a fix, but I lost track of which was which (simply by being stupid
and in a mad rush as usual!).

The last version to work -- quite cleanly, I might add -- with regular
color QuickDraw is ResCicn v.1.0b4. This goes right into the release
version of ResEdit 1.2.  Still has the problems w/ selection tools and
lines -- Apple's fault, not Frederics.

The version (1.0b6) that works w/ 32-bit QD does not have the same
problems.  According to Frederic, Apple cleaned up their act
considerably w/ 32-bit QD.  Oh, yeah... it gives zoom boxes on the
individual views. Some other nice hacks.

ResCicn v.1.0b6 is implemented slightly different from the preveous
releases.  Frederic has seperated out the color edit routines from the
TMPL as ResColor CPAK resource so that he may add new editors as
necessary without having to redo the edit routines each time. V.1.0b6
comes with ResCrsr for color cursors and he says he is ready to jump
right on any new icon formats Apple may have up their sleeve for System
7.0.

I will post ResCicn v.1.0b4 here if someone will initiate this new-bee
as to what formats are acceptible, what to do if the file is too big
to fit in a single post, how big is too big, and what newsgroup it
should go in.

I will post ResCicn v.1.0b6 as soon as I get the versions straightened
out.

  --the Trues

--
Scott Truesdell

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 89 12:58:16 PDT
From: James Jennings <jennings%tp5@rand.org>
Subject: ColorIconEdit/ColorFinder

When I use ColorIconEdit to examine the cicn's that are stored in
ColorFinder I find that the image often appears scrambled.  Has anyone
else noticed this bug?  Is there a workaround?

				James Jennings

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 89 00:20:53 EDT
From: Zeba Kimmel <ST702546%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: CursorEdit, cursor editing program

This is a program I wrote a long time ago on a 512K Mac to change
the cursors in the System file. What with System updates, some things
about it now work in a weird fashion (noticeably the animated icon effect
that stopped working with System 4.1), but it's still serviceable.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/cursor-edit.hqx; 28K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Jul 89 15:14:48 EDT
From: dmg@lid.mitre.org (David Gursky)
Subject: Disktop 3.0.4

I've been running Disktop 3.0.4 for some months now and I keep seeing sproadic
problems with my Mac; when I launch Double Helix, the cursor freezes up and
I have to quit; Microsoft Word mysteriously quits; Canvas 2.0 goes into an
infinite loop.

These problems do not go away on a restart.  Not only must I shut the Mac down,
but I must *power it off* for these problems to go away.  Consequently I'm
inclinde to believe the problem is Disktop, not Double Helix, MS Word, or
Canvas.

I'm running System 6.0.2 on a 2M Mac Plus.  The problem occurs in both Finder
and Multifinder.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 89 12:20:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: "William M. Bumgarner" <wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Do-it-yourself Memory upgrades - one user's experiences

A few warnings w/SE upgrades:

There are two styles of upgrade-- one requires you to clip a resistor and put
the 1 meg simms in memory slots 1 & 2.  the other requires you to move a
jumper and install the new simms in slots 3 & 4...  check out the tech
note before doing anything.

1 meg simms can be had for $119 for low profile, 100ns parts w/a 5 year
warranty.  available from the Chip Merchant.

for 80ns low profile w/a lifetime warranty, there is another company that
will sell them for $129/SIMM.

I will post a summary to info-mac....

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 89 16:27 CST
From: David Swanger <SWANGER@ducvax.auburn.edu>
Subject: Expensive SE/30 video cards

I am considering purchasing an Apple Macintosh SE/30.  One of the reasons I am
interested in the SE/30 is that it has the capability to use an external
color monitor if it has the correct video card.  I have a NEC MultiSync monitor
at home that I would like to use with the SE/30.  The NEC works very well with
a Mac IIx at work.  This IIx has an Apple 8 bit video card.  The suggested list
price for this Apple card is 648 dollars.  I am able to get this card for 460
dollars.  Apple doesn't have a version of this card (at least not one that I am
aware of) for the SE/30, so I called RasterOps and asked about their SE/30 8
bit video card.  They told me that the list price was 1850 dollars.  I consider
this to be extremely expensive.  I've since heard that this card can be found
for around 1200 dollars. That is still over twice what I paid for the monitor.
I know companies are in business to  make money, but this seems kind of
extreme.

Does anyone know of any 3rd party video cards for the SE/30 that are reasonably
priced?

David Swanger
Academic Computing Services
Auburn University, Al  36849
205-844-4813

SWANGER@AUDUCVAX	    <-- Bitnet
SWANGER@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU   <-- Internet

------------------------------

Date: 21 Jul 89 14:15:08 PDT (Fri)
From: 6sigma!blm@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Brian Matthews)
Subject: Fade to Black 3.2

Enclosed is a BinHex'd Stuffit file containing Fade to Black
version 3.2 and documentation.  Previous versions of Fade to Black
determined whether or not they could run based on the ROM type.
Unfortunately, this meant that Fade didn't work on the SE/30, or
on machines with the Mac II ROMs but only a monochrome screen.  Now
Fade examines the depth of the screen to determine whether or not
to Fade.  This means it will now work on all monochrome Macs (512K,
512KE, Plus, SE, SE/30) and color Macs in one bit/pixel mode.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/fade-to-black-32.hqx; 74K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 89  15:37:59 MDT
From: SYTANG%CSUGREEN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Help

One of our SE just become noisy, the floppy drive also spin with noise.
the two internal floppy cann't read disk -- it keep insist to
reinitialize a good diskette.
It's a SE with two internal floppy drive no hard drive.
Any suggestions on what want wrong? how to check?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions provided.
Shoou-yu Tang, Colorado State Univ., Physics
sytang@csugreen.ucc.colostate.edu
sytang@csugreen.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 89 19:22:57 EDT
From: vbob@umd5.umd.edu (Bob Shields)
Subject: HP DeskWriter

Hewlett Packard has announced their "DeskWriter" printer for the Macintosh
family.  The following information is taken from their "Technical Data"
brochure.  The printer is designed exclusively for the Macintosh, and comes
with its own print driver as well as screen fonts for Helvetica, Times,
Symbol and Courier (which are built into the printer).  The rest of the
LaserWriter II NT fonts are available at extra cost either as a single
family or as an entire package.  The fonts are fully scalable up to 250 points
and support plain, bold, italic and bold-italic versions, plus outline, shadow
and userline styles.  It uses the AGFA Compugraphic "Intellifont" type scaling
technology which creates bitmaps from Intellifont-formatted type outlines.

The output resolution is 300 x 300 dpi ("Best" mode) or 150 x 150 dpi
("Faster" mode).  It can process letter, legal, A4 paper and #10 envelopes.
I understand the best type of paper is quality bond paper (like company
letterhead) with standard "copier paper" a close second.  Since it is a
thermal inkjet printer (same basic hardware as the HP DeskJet Plus), the
more porous paper usually used in dot-matrix printers has a tendency to
"bleed".  The sheet-feeder holds up to 100 sheets (envelopes are fed manually).

A speed comparison using a single page with mixed text and graphics, run from a
Mac SE with 2.5Mb of memory running under MultiFinder, shows the LaserWriter
II-NT taking 133 secs, the DeskWriter 151 sec, a GCC PLP 164 secs and an
ImageWriter II 357 secs.

It connects to the Macintosh through a serial port and can use the standard
ImageWriter printer cable.  HP advertises compatibilty with any Mac from the
"Plus" up.  I have a feeling the outline technology requires more than 512K
of memory, and probably runs much better on machines with more than 1 Mb.

The brochure gives a 60,000 page life with a MTBF of 20,000 hours (assuming
2000 hours power-on and 12,000 pages per year; 20-25 pages per day average,
50 pages per day maximum).

The list price of the printer is $1195, however, local stores gave me prices
>From "list down" to $860 (though the lowest was from an HP-authorized dealer
who handled only IBM-compatible computers and would obviously give me limited
support).  It seems to me that around $900 is a good price.  They are all
supposed to get their demo units by the end of July (no-one had one as of
July 20), but I don't have any dates for customer delivery yet.

Bob Shields			(vbob@umd5.umd.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 89 22:06 CST
From: David Swanger <SWANGER@ducvax.auburn.edu>
Subject: Hypercard and C help wanted ...

I am interested in using Hypercard in conjunction with the C programming
language.  How easy is it to:

  * Create an input screen with Hypercard,
  * Enter values into variables using this screen,
  * Pass these variables into compiled C functions which calculate results
    from the input data,
  * Return these results to Hypercard and print them to an output screen

I have several C programs that were written specifically for MS-DOS machines
that I would like to port to the Mac.  These routines have the I/O and the
calculations separated (reasonably), so I would like to move the functions
that perform the calculations to the Mac.  With some of my programs, user
input can affect the makeup of future input and output screens.  For example,
one input screen could say:

How many values are to be entered:__

If you entered the number 6, the next input screen would have 6 input
statements, if you entered the number 12, the next input screen would have 12
input statements, etc.  Is it possible to dynamically create input screens in
Hypercard, the size of and number of inputs which depend on a value entered by
a user?

The size of an output screen could vary drastically too.  For example, if
a program calculated an amortization table, the size of the output screen
would depend on the number of periods input by a user.  Is it possible to
dynamically create an output screen (scroll-able) in Hypercard that can grow
to the size of the data 'printed' to it?

I'm not sure if I have the time (or the expertise) to learn the Toolbox now,
but if it is possible (and fairly easy) to combine Hypercard and C, I would
like to give it a try.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this kind of programming?  If
so, I would certainly like to hear from you.

Thanks for any and all help.

David Swanger
Academic Computing Services
200 L Building
Auburn University, Al  36849
205-844-4813

SWANGER@AUDUCVAX            <-- Bitnet
SWANGER@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU   <-- Internet
U0442                       <-- Applelink

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 89 12:03 CST
From: BRAD%GACVAX1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #123

one on the 17th.  With two days of testing, I would recommend it.  Alot like the
DeskJet, only no grappler software needed.  We have ing graphics erWriter we hav
   e been using.
The cost for one is around $600 (+) if you can get an Academic discount.  I don'
   t know what the retail would be.
As to Fonts shipped and available, Fonts shipped with are:

Courier
Triumvirate
Times
Symbol

Fonts available are:

Palacio (Palatino)
Century Schoolbook
Bookman
Avant Garde Gothic
Triumvirate Narrow (Helvetica Narrow)
Zapf Chancery
Zapf Dingbats

These fonts can be purchased from HP for $ (?).
The printer is an inkjet, taking any type of paper and even size and envelopes.

If you have more questions, contact an HP dealer or call 1-800-376-4772 for your
    nearest HP authorized dealer.

Brad Delahunty
Gustavus Adolphus College
Brad@gacvx1

Disclaimer:  This is my first attempt /manual.  All ideas are no onene..........

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 89 00:25:31 EDT
From: Zeba Kimmel <ST702546%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info..., a super-Get Info...-type desk accessory

This is a desk accessory that allows you to attach comments and notes to
files of any type that are much larger and less prone to erasure than Get
Info... comments. Also manipulates plain text files, changes type and creator,
and does other stuff too.Has a built-in help, but the auxiliary file named
Info... Me has more information; when you select the desk accessory from the
Apple menu, open this Info... Me file first to read it.

[Archived as /info-mac/da/info.hqx; 37K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 89 18:45 EDT
From: Maurice Volaski <V050FN5R@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: insertion points and cmd-period in XCMDs

I am working further on the SearchReplace XCMD that I recently posted.

One of things I am trying to add is a command-period abort feature in
a routine that repeatedly finds and replaces strings within hypercard.
In a regular program, the abort procedure works fine, but in the XCMD,
it does not respond to keydown events, only to autokey events. It is
as if hypercard flushes keydown events during the callbacks. Anyone
have any ideas about this?

The second problem I have run into is more puzzling. On a Mac Plus, the
XCMD seems to run fine. On a Mac II, as soon as drag the XCMD's modeless
dialog, or even as much as click in the title bar, the insertion point
stops blinking! So long as I don't do a mousedown in the title bar, the
insertion point blinks just fine.Anyone have any ideas about this?

Maurice Volaski
Dept. of Physiology
University at Buffalo
v050fn5r@ubvms

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 89 00:18:17 EDT
From: Zeba Kimmel <ST702546%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Lines, color demo for the Mac II

This is just a small color demo for the Mac II only. It is not MultiFinder
compatible (won't crash but looks weird). Simplistic, but fun to watch.

[Archived as /info-mac/art/color-demo.hqx; 19K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 89 14:11:27 EDT
From: jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart [Jonathan III])
Subject: MacII SIMMS Chips...their uses...

Submission: Concerning Memory SIMMS Chips for SE/II
Date: July 21, 1989

Info-Mac Submission

Dear Sir(s)/Ma'am(S):
	Being unfamiliar with the format of submissions to this digest,
I'm taking a post-luck shot and working it from there. The problem is
listed as below....

	I own a MacSE 68000 currently equipped with 1 Meg (256k SIMMS),
and a 20Meg HD Internal. I have recently been offered the opportunity
to obtain the original SIMMS chips that were in a MacII, base 2 Meg,
system and was wondering if that will do for me what I hope it can.
Having been unable to get a straight answer, I ask this: Can the SIMMS
chips that were originally installed into a MacII be used in an SE,
expanding it from the one meg to the 2.5 meg as a normal installation
kit would do? Any information would be greatly appreciated..

Please reply to email, and any info discovered will be gladly passed on.

		Thanx in advance....Ace

| Ace Stewart (Jonathan III)                             |A       /\       |
| Affiliation: Eastman Kodak Company. Rochester New York |      _/  \_     |
| Internet/ARPA: jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu              |      \_  _/     |
| Bitnet:        jstewart@sunrise.bitnet                 |        /\	  A|

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 89 10:27 ADT
From: Peter J Gergely <Peter@griffin.drea.dnd.ca>
Subject: Newest version of FKEY MANAGER

Here is the latest version of FKEY Manager (3.0) that I could find.  It
is downloaded from GENIE, and only works on the machines having 128K
roms or larger.

	- Peter

[Archived as /info-mac/fkey/fkey-manager-30.hqx; 134K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 89 11:34:18 PDT
From: palkovic%almond.hepnet@lbl.gov (John Palkovic)
Subject: opening (gasp!) Macs

In info-mac volume 7.125  Jeff Templon <templon@venus.iucf.indiana.edu> writes
regarding SIMM installation

 > Only a few tools were needed: a LONG Torx driver (get this at electronics
 > supply stores) ...

It turns out that a LONG 3/32" allen wrench will work just fine for getting the
case of a plus or SE open.  It has to be LONG to get at the two fasteners
recessed in the handle region at the top of the case.  Allen wrenches are
generally easier to find than Torx drivers.

John Palkovic
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Dept. of Physics
and
Fermilab
bitnet: 	palkovic@fnalad
phonenet	(312) 840-4915

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 89 22:56 EST
From: <SAPER%HUXTAL.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Mark A. Saper)
Subject: PICT

I'm new the Mac world and am very interested in bringing graphics
>From the outside into MacDraw.  Currently I do this with Versaterm.
I'd prefer to be able to generate polygons and other PICT primitives
on my host computer and then download the picture to the MAC for
editing.  I would appreciate receiving a suitable set of C or Fortran
subroutines that I can modify to run on a VAX/VMS machine that would
generate PICT format that I could then download to the MAC.

This is for macromolecular structural studies that I am involved with.

Please contact me directly as I am not on the distribution list.

Thanks, Mark Saper, HHMI and Harvard. (saper@xtal0.harvard.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Fri Jul 21 11:13:44 1989
From: microsoft!scottla@sun.com
Subject: PostScript bug/MS Word

Re: the postings on the bug that causes PostScript effects embedded in
    Microsoft Word documents to print incorrectly on the first page of a
    job when print spooling is enabled

The bug was in Apple's LaserWriter driver.  It has been fixed in
version 6.0 of the driver.

-Scott Larson
 Composition Supervisor, Microsoft Corp.

------------------------------

Date: Friday, 21 Jul 1989 14:56:50 EST
From: m20992@mwvm.mitre.org (Paul Hargrove)
Subject: RS-232 to mini-DIN 8

    Does anyone know the pin equivalences between the mini-DIN 8 connector and
the 25-pin "standard" RS-232 connector.  If so please E-mail the info to me at
m20992@mwvm.mitre.org it would be much appreciated.
*
*        Paul

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 89 12:33:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: "William M. Bumgarner" <wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: SIMM pricing information

These were taken from the back of MacWeek... Chip Merchant advertised at $129,
but has since dropped their price to $119.

The Chip Merchant
1 meg SIMMs, 100NS, low profile, 5 year guarantee: $119 (Video upgrade
for $69)
800-426-6375 or 619-268-4774
"Prices subject to drop without notice"

South Coast Electronics
1 meg SIMMS, 80ns low profile, lifetime Warranty, same day shipping: $129
800-289-8801 or 213 489 7824
FAX:  213-489-0266

Digi-Graphics
1 meg SIMMS, 100ns DIP, 1 yr gurantee:  $129.
801-544-2009

Take your pick-- the second one sounds like the best deal to me.

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 89 16:50 EST
From: <FEASTER%IUBACS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ugly vertical fonts

Hi,
    We at the Speech Research Lab our pulling our respective hair out, trying
to get a decent vertical Times font to print on our Laserwriter IISC.  We've
tried Cricket-Graph, Excel, and Word to no avail.  The goal is to print a
graph in portrait mode, with horizontal text at the top and vertical text along
the side.  When we saved the output on diskette and printed it on another lab's
Laserwrite IISC, the vertical font came out beautifully, so there must be
a problem with our Mac setup.  (The vertical fonts print, but they look sloppy,
with poor resolution).
    We are running system 6.0.2.  Does anyone have a remedy for the situation?
Thanks,
                                   Mickey Feaster
                                   I.U. Speech Research Lab
                                   feaster@iubacs.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 89 19:56:59 MST
From: ICBAL%ASUACAD.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Word and MathType

I posted a message a while ago regarding the failure of Word 4.0 to close up
the gap created when a MathType equation (or any graphic) is pasted and
subscripted.  Several people supplied me with the solution (sort of):

Never use "Auto" paragraph spacing.  Call up the "Paragraph" dialog box and
enter the number of points WITH A MINUS SIGN IN FRONT OF THE NUMBER.
That minus sign will keep the lines of text spaced the same regardless of the
size of the pasted graphic.  Naturally, you can create style sheets with this
setting, or even change your "normal" style to reflect this.  It works fine.
But this means that if a very large equation or graphic is pasted in, it will
overlap the lines of text above and below.  If that happens you will have to
make the line into a separate paragraph and increase the spacing for that
paragraph only.

I can now live with Word 4.0, but this sure is klutzier than 3.02.

Bruce Long
Department of Mathematics
Arizona State University            BITNET:  ICBAL@ASUACAD

End of Info-Mac Digest