Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (07/25/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 24 Jul 89       Volume 7 : Issue 127

Today's Topics:
           Backing up a cartridge drive; DeskWriter thanks
                       Batman Startup Screen??
                          DeskWriter Summary
                    Do it yourself memory upgrades
                     Expensive SE/30 video cards
                           Font/DA Mover...
              Inside info on the HP DeskWriter printer.
                                MacArc
               Memory expansion for a LaserWriter Plus
         Scientific Calculator & attempted INIT installation!
                            SuperPaint 2.0
                       Targa images on a MAC II
                          torx screwdrivers

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 89 07:50:33 PDT
From: claris!drc@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Dennis Cohen)
Subject: Backing up a cartridge drive; DeskWriter thanks

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>     Has anyone out there had any experience backing up a removable-cartridge
>hard disk to a second cartridge?  Can this be done relatively painlessly?  I'm
>considering a cartridge drive to expand my storage, and it would seem to be
>the ideal to back up the cartridge drive and my 20Mb fixed hard disk to a
>second cartridge, using some form of compression.
I own a MassMicro Duet (two cartridge drives in one case) and use that for
backups, etc at home.  Retrospect will work, as will HFS Backup and probably
quite a few others.  I tend to just do a bulk Finder copy to start with and
then manually do the incremental updates on a folder/file basis.  It takes
a little more discipline than would the automated tool; however, I like to
have my backups in Finder-copyable form.  I probably ought to check out
Network DiskFit, but I have a working routine and follow the adage that "if
it ain't broke, don't fix it."

>     Also, does anyone have any thoughts on cartridge drives in general?  They
>seem to be a really good value, since for an extra $100+ you can add another
>42Mb of storage (not online, of course, but archival).  How are they with
>reliability?  Recommended brands?  Vendors?  What are the fastest drives?
As stated above, I have the Mass Micro (and so do a lot of the people I know)
and we're happy with them.  A few people that I know have PLI units and are
quite pleased with those.  There really isn't a huge difference between the
various vendors (the basic unit is the same).  MacBottom makes good products,
but I don't have any first or second hand knowledge of their removable, so I
can't recommend in either direction there.  There was an article in one of
the recent MacWorld issues on removable drives, you might want to check it
out.

--
Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 89 09:19:50 EDT
From: Kim Dyer <3C257F7%CMUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Batman Startup Screen??

Is there a way to modify the Batman StartupScreen so that it works on
an SE??  It looks great (what I can see of it) - but obviously designed
for s MacII.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Jul 89 22:14:05 -0400
From: mjkobb@athena.mit.edu
Subject: DeskWriter Summary

Well, I was going to wait and see how many people wanted this info, and respond
to people individually.  Unfortunately, the some of the mail I tried to send
bounced, so I'm just going to post this now.  Thanks again to John Gersh, who
was nice enough to provide the information culled from comp.sys.mac!!

--Mike

[Archived as /info-mac/report/deskwriter.txt; 16K]

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jul 89 20:26:00 EST
From: "JEFF TEMPLON" <templon@venus.iucf.indiana.edu>
Subject: Do it yourself memory upgrades

Hello all -

	Last week I posted an article concerning my experiences upgrading my
Mac SE from 1 to 2.5 megs.  Today's digest contained what I *think* is a
reply to that message from William Bumgarner; at least the subject field of
his article was the same as mine.  I do not wish to cause a ruckus, but in
all fairness to the company I dealt with, I felt I had to respond to one
point in his article.

	Mr. Bumgarner warns the list that there are two different Mac SE
memory configurations (correctly.)  He then points us to the tech notes
in order to learn the specifics.  My posting clearly stated that the
instructions that came with the upgrade I purchased covered BOTH memory
configurations for the Mac SE.  Perhaps Mr. Bumgarner missed that part
of my posting.

dislcaimer - I don't even know anyone in Kansas, let alone anyone at Newer
	Tech!

					Jeff

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jul 89 15:34:21 GMT
From: Scott Truesdell <truesdel@ics.uci.edu>
Subject: Expensive SE/30 video cards

David Swanger <SWANGER@ducvax.auburn.edu> writes:

> ... so I called RasterOps and asked about their SE/30 8
>bit video card.  They told me that the list price was 1850 dollars.  I consider
>this to be extremely expensive.  I've since heard that this card can be found
>for around 1200 dollars. That is still over twice what I paid for the monitor.
>I know companies are in business to  make money, but this seems kind of
>extreme.

>Does anyone know of any 3rd party video cards for the SE/30 that are reasonably
>priced?

I can suggest a possibility:

Generation X    phone: 408/739-4570

"The Vision '030A" is an 8-bit 640-by-480 pixel color board with 72 dpi
resolution that is compatible with Apple's standard 13-inch RGB
monitor.  It lists for $995 and come with special software for creating
and managing a virtual desktop.

This is still a  bit pricey. I don't like it either. There is an
explanation, though. At this time, there is not much volume in selling
add-in SE/30 cards. The mfg's have to make up their R&D and mfg costs.
If and when volume increases, I predict that prices would come down.

--
Scott Truesdell

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 89 13:31:49 EDT
From: jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart [Jonathan III])
Subject: Font/DA Mover...

As of late, I have been running into some very unusual occurances
concerning the Font/DA Mover utility. I have been moving DA's back
and forth into seperate files (for use with the Font/DA Juggler
system) and have upon occasion been noticing that certain DA's
will not even show up in the windows on F/DA Mover! Is there a
specific problem that others have notices that perhaps I am missing.
ResEdit says the files are correct, as does F/DA Mover on any
other Mac....would it be interference from an INIT or another DA?
(aka has anyone else had this little problem?)

				Thanks in advance all...Ace

| Ace Stewart (Jonathan III)                             |A       /\       |
| Affiliation: Eastman Kodak Company. Rochester New York |      _/  \_     |
| Internet/ARPA: jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu              |      \_  _/     |
| Bitnet:        jstewart@sunrise.bitnet                 |        /\	  A|

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 89 08:58:01 EDT
From: Michael D. Prange <prange@erl.mit.edu>
Subject: Inside info on the HP DeskWriter printer.

The following info comes from HP engineers in Vancouver who work on
the DJ and DW.

Michael

I have gotten mail asking for details on the new HP DeskWriter so here goes:

What is a DeskWriter and how does it relate to a DeskJet+? The
DeskWriter is a 57K baud serial 300DPI graphics only printer designed
specifically for the Apple Macintosh computers.  Mechanically, the
DeskWriter is the same as a DeskJet+.

Electrically, the DeskWriter has the same processor running at the
same speed as a DeskJet+ but has electronics and firmware optimized
for high speed serial graphics and is in the standard Mac color scheme
(not the HP color scheme).  From a user interface the DeskWriter looks
much like a DeskJet+ but has a simpler keypannel and no font cartridge
slots.  A new 2D data compression mode was added to the printer and
driver (patent pending :-) ) that achieves remarkable compression
rates eliminating the IO from being a bottleneck in virtually all
cases (scanned images are sometimes an exception). comes with a
Chooser compatable QuickDraw driver that uses scaleable outline fonts.
All font scaling and filling is done in the Mac, not in the printer.
The DeskWriter driver will work with all Quickdraw compatable
applications, but not, of course, PostScript only applications. The
DeskWriter driver requires at least 1 Meg of RAM (2 recommended) and a
hard disk.

Several outline fonts come with the driver, Courier, Times, Symbols,
and Triumvirate (like Helvetica).  More optional fonts are available.
On a MAC II the printer performs at a page per minute rate.  When
doing text only the DeskWriter is about 1/2 to 1/3 as fast as a
LaserWriter.  When doing heavy graphics oriented printing the
DeskWriter performance is comparable (and sometimes faster) than a
LaserWriter.  Performance when printing from a Mac Plus or Mac SE is
about 1/2 to 3/4 as fast as printing from a Mac 2.  Besides outline
font scaling and filling the driver also supports raster fonts (4X
fonts recommended for best quality) and polygon smoothing.

The DeskWriter retails for $1195 compared to the $995 price of the
DeskJet+.  The price difference is mainly due to the cost of
developing and supporting the Mac driver that comes with the printer
and royalties that go to the company that supplies the outline fonts
(and some of the font scaling technology).  Once you get the original
copy of the DeskWriter driver all updates will be free from your local
dealer (the new driver will be copied onto your original disk).  I
suspect the street price of a DeskWriter might get close to $800 but I
don't know for sure.  Before making any decisions on buying a new
personal use Mac printer go to your dealer and see a demo of the
DeskWriter.  I think you will be pleased.  There is really no
comparison between the DeskWriter and its driver with any of the
DeskJet drivers available for the MAC both in performance and quality
of output.

Hope this information helps.

Dave Neff
hpvcfs1!neff

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 89 10:27 EST
From: HENRY YEE <HENRY@atc.bendix.com>
Subject: MacArc

IN%"d.m.p.%pro-party.cts.com@RELAY.CS.NET"
IN%"Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.EDU"

Don Peaslee,

  Programs like StuffIt, PackIt, and Arc (short for archive) create a single
file out of related files (they don't really need to be related), and provide
data compression in the process.

  Can it de-arc a graphics file which can then be viewed as a Paint or Pic
file?   Yes, provided that you started with one; that is, what was put in is
what you get out.

Henry Yee
IN%"Henry%atc.bendix.com@RELAY.CS.NET"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Jul 89 22:25:38 EDT
From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <PP838474%TECMTYVM@icsa.rice.edu>
Subject: Memory expansion for a LaserWriter Plus

We currently have in my department a stock Apple LaserWriter Plus printer,
with 1 MB of memory. However, for an increasing number of printing tasks,
this is proving to be insufficent. Is there a way to increase the memory
on the machine ? The printer is (way) out of warranty and there are no SIMM
or DIP sockets to be found on the motherboard.

Any help would be appreciated.

Juan

  Juan M. Courcoul                  | Phone:
  Postmaster / Listserv coordinator |       (835) 820-0000  Ext. 4151
  Dept. of Academic Services        |
  Monterrey Institute of Technology | BitNet:
  Monterrey, N. L.   64849          |         POSTMAST @ TECMTYVM
  Mexico                            |         PP838474 @ TECMTYVM

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jul 89 10:18:00 EST
From: "JEFF TEMPLON" <templon@venus.iucf.indiana.edu>
Subject: Scientific Calculator & attempted INIT installation!

	Yesterday I attempted to install the DA program

	/info-mac/da/scientific-calculator.hqx

in my system.  (I was evaluating DeskTop Calc before that, which I really
liked, but it was unpredictable in deciding to push the x register into
the y register when starting a new operation; at least, it didn't work
like HP RPN calculators!  Does anyone know how to contact the author?
His name is Lars Sundstrum or something close.)  I installed the DA
scientific-calculator with Vaccine running, as I always do, but this time
I got a "permission to install INIT resource in system file?" dialog.
I clicked "denied" and got returned to the finder with a "serious problem"
dialog.  Then I discovered that my system file (at least the DAs) had been
corrupted;  pulling down the apple menu presented a list of unreadable mess,
except for the Chooser and Control Panel, which seemed to be OK.  Fixing
required a complete system reinstallation!

I would like to try the scientific calculator program, since it claims to
be an RPN calculator, but I don't know what this INIT is that it wants to
install.  Do any of you resource kings out there know what is going on?
Is this a virus?

				Jeff Templon
			Indiana University Cyclotron Facility

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Jul 89 19:18:57 MST
From: bklaas@cmdfs2.intel.com
Subject: SuperPaint 2.0

I am thinking about upgrading to SuperPaint 2.0 ($50).  Has anyone
tried the new version and is it worth it or not??????

Thanks

* Brian Klaas, Design Engineer       *  DISCLAIMER:  All opinions            *
* Intel Corporation                  *      stated here are strictly my own. *
* InterNET:    bklaas%sedona.intel.com@relay.cs.NET                          *
*     UUCP:                                                                  *
* {hplabs,decwrl,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel,amdcad}!intelca!mipos3!sedona!bklaas   *
*                                                                            *
* US Snail:    Brian Klaas, 5000 W. Chandler Blvd, Mailstop CH3-69,          *
*              Phoenix, AZ  85226                                            *
*                                      DATCLAIMER:  I didn't say nothing     *

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jul 89 11:53:00 EST
From: "Scott J. Allen" <scott@guvax>
Subject: Targa images on a MAC II

Hello,
	Does anybody know how to display Targa color images on a
	MAC IIcx with 8 bit video display?   The Targa images came
	from an IBM PC using SCANNIT! from Howtek. We would like a
	targa to MAC II conversion program, if one exists.

	Please send replies directly to:
	SCOTT@GUVAX.BITNET
	     or
	EDU%"SCOTT@GUVAX.GEORGETOWN.EDU"

			Thank you,
			Scott Allen
			(202) 687-6096

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 89 09:03 EDT
From: BARRETT2@mps.ohio-state.edu
Subject: torx screwdrivers

if you're having trouble finding a tool to open your mac, go to your local
NAPA store and get part number (I believe) 3153, which is the appropriate
screwdriver 17 inches long.
- tom

End of Info-Mac Digest