Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (08/04/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu,  3 Aug 89       Volume 7 : Issue 135

Today's Topics:
                         BITNET mail follows
                         Changing SCSI Icons
                         directory comparer?
                          dying hard drives
             Font Problems:  Summary of the Solutions...
                      Hard Disks and Warranties
                    HP Deskjet Plus/HP Deskwriter
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #133
                       Making COMMAND-F default
                          MathGrapher stack
                        mpw and think thought
                           NCSA Telnet 2.1e
                    PERSONAL VISION AND VIDEO BUS
               PICT to encapsulated PostScript Question
                        Questions on Word 4.0
                   Screen to Clipboard Function Key
                      SE/30 Replacement Monitor
                             SuperBar 1.0
                         THINK C 4.0 and C++
                          Time to buy SIMMS?
                    Whats wrong with the Mac ....

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: 2 Aug 89   13:17 EDT
From: FAC1893%UOFT01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: BITNET mail follows

FROM: GARY E. PAWLAS <FAC1893@UOFT01>
SUBJECT: ANON. FTP PROBLEMS WITH NCSA-TELNET

"TWO SHEDS" KUPEC ASKED ABOUT PROBLEMS USING NCSA-TELNET,IN
INFO-MAC VOL.7, ISSUE 131, ON A SUN AFTER THE FILE WAS UNBINHEXED
AND UNSITED WITH STUFFIT.  I HAVE NOT USED THIS APPLICATION BUT
HAVE BEEN USING OTHER APPLICATIONS DIRECTLY DOWNLOADED FROM
THE NCSA (NATIONAL CENTER FOR SUPERCOMPUTING APPLICATIONS)
LOCATED AT THE U. OF ILLINOIS IN URBANA-CHAMPAIGN.  THE OTHER
APPLICATIONS I'VE USED ALSO COME IN A VARIETY OF FORMS FOR MACHINES
OTHER THAN THE MAC, I.E. PC, SUN2, AND SUN3.  FROM THE DOCUMENTATION
FILES I'VE EXAMINED THERE IS NO MENTION OF RUNNING THE MAC VERSION
OF TELNET ON THE SUN.

THE NCSA CAN BE REACHED VIA ANONYMOUS FTP AT
  128.174.20.50 OR ZAPHOD.NCSA.UIUC.EDU
AVAILABLE IN THE HOME DIRECTORY IS A README.FIRST FILE DESCRIBING
THE CONTENTS OF THE OTHER DIRECTORIES.

OTHER APPLICATIONS FOR THE MAC INCLUDE "NCSA DATASCOPE" TO DISPLAY
AND MANIPULATE 2D ARRAYS OF FLOATING POINT NUMBERS AND APPLY
CALCULATIONS TO THE DATA AND "NCSA IMAGE" TO ANIMATE RASTER IMAGES,
GENERATE CONTOUR, AND 3D PLOTS AND PERFORM PALETTE MANIPULATIONS.
ALL OF THESE PROGRAMS ARE AVAILABLE FREE VIA ANONYMOUS FTP AND INCLUDE
DOCUMENTATION AND SOME SAMPLE FILES.  MOST FILES ARE IN STUFFIT FORMAT
AND HAVE THEN BEEN BINHEX'ED.

YOU CAN CALL THE NCSA CONSULTANT'S OFFICE AT
  (217) 244-1144

GOOD LUCK!  GARY PAWLAS   <FAC1893@UOFT01.BITNET>  (419)537-4437

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  1 Aug 89  13:23:57 EDT
From: DBecque%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Changing SCSI Icons

How do you change the Icon used by the Finder to represent your
SCSI hard drive?  Using ResEdit I've tried to locate the ICN#
that is presently used but I cann't find it anywhere within the
System, Finder, or Desktop.  One article in MacUser a long time
ago suggested pasting your new ICN# into the desktop and changing
the ID to 129 but this doesn't work anymore!  Thanks
DBecque@UMass
help

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Aug 89 09:46:43 -0700
From: clancy@ernie.berkeley.edu (Mike Clancy)
Subject: directory comparer?

Is there a program available to compare directories and modification dates
of files within directories?

I have a bunch of floppies that float between computers at work and at home,
and I need an easy way to tell which of the files on the floppies represent
the newest versions of the files.  Also, I recently had reason to believe
that another user of one of the computers had accidentally deleted a few
files on the hard disk, and it would have been nice to have a way to compare
the disk's directory with that of a recent backup.

					Mike Clancy
					clancy@ernie.berkeley.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 1 August 1989 8:23pm CST
From: ZODA537%UTA3081.CC.UTEXAS.EDU@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: dying hard drives

Now wait a minute, don't blame Seagate for this one.  I have
an in in a service shop and the scuttlebutt is that the culprit
is the Quantum drive--I agree, ordinarily a fine drive, but in
this case it seems to be a turkey.  I am told by this person
that machines come in with dead drives all the time and they
are running about 20 to 1 Quantum, although they were sold
at this shop in about 2 to 1 ratio---it's significantly
different, for all you scientists out there.  Advice?  I
have no advice.  I figure Applecare is required:  you NEED
a warranty on your machine and associated stuff, and if Apple
isn't willing to provide a real warranty, I fear we just have
to grit our teeth and pay the extra $$.  And, of course, pressure
them to up it to at least a year, anyway.  Hmmph.

Josh Hayes, Univ. Texas Austin, Zoology Dept.
zoda537@uta3081(bitnet), or j.a.hayes@uta3081.cc.utexas.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Aug 89 17:12:28 CDT
From: Michael Farlow--Texas A&M Graphics Lab <X098MF%TAMVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Font Problems:  Summary of the Solutions...

A while back, I sent a posting that requested help when my fonts went screwy on
me.  Well, I'm happy to say the the problem has been solved.  Here is a summary
of what people sent to me:

Basically, you can't place fonts within both the System File and a Suitcase
that is accessed by Suitcase II due to FOND number conflicts.  I had 12 pt. of
most of the fonts loaded in my System and all the other sizes loaded in suit-
cases.  Turns out that this is stated in the Suitcase II manual, but honestly,
what computer hack actually reads the manuals???  :-}

As far as the problems with Illustrator (I was getting patterns instead of the
colors when I previewed my Illustration), I don't know what caused it, but the
fix was to re-install the System Files from my System Tools disk.

Thanks again to all those that responded to my plea.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% Michael Farlow                   X098MF@TAMVM1.TAMU.EDU (InterNet) %
% CSC Help Desk & Graphics Lab Consultant     X098MF@TAMVM1 (BitNet) %
% Texas A&M University                                 (409)845-1365 %
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%                        Disclaimer                                  %
%                                                                    %
% Any opinions expressed here are the sole responsibility of Michael %
% Farlow and do not in any way constitute the views, policy, or      %
% other legal type things of Texas A&M University.                   %
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Aug 89 12:34:54 PDT
From: rob@nrc.com (Rob Pawsner)
Subject: Hard Disks and Warranties

Add my story. 95 days after delivery, 5 days out of warranty, the
Quantum drive in my SE/30 4/80 has chronic power-up boot failures; the
icon says "Feed me a system diskette". Running off a diskette, the
SCSI Probe CDEV shows a Quantum out there, but nothing else can see
it, not even the SCSI Evaluator program.

The only fix is to power down (not reset), wait a random interval, and
try again. Sooner or later, the hard disk boots; it shows no damage at
all, and soft resets always work.

Question for the Apple staffers who contribute so much to Info-Mac:
What's the antonym of "evangelism"?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Aug 89 11:04:32 CST
From: decwrl!pro-party.cts.com!hplabs!d.m.p.@labrea.stanford.edu (Don Peaslee)
Subject: HP Deskjet Plus/HP Deskwriter

I'm aware of the discussions regarding Hewlett Packard's water soluble ink,
but I am curious as to the performance and customer satisfaction with these
printers.  How do they actually compare to the laser machines in day to day
use?  What kind of type and graphic quality can be expected?  Where can one
find the best prices for these printers?

Thanks for any and all thoughts or advice...

Don

------------------------------

Date: 2 Aug 89 04:37:51 PDT (Wednesday)
From: VanDuyn.WBST207V@xerox.com
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #133

Doug,

RE: "I had an unusual situation that I can't explain.  Last Friday, I had
several spurous reboots...."

I had a similar (actually exactly the same) problem with my mac.  Spurious
reboots, just as if I had hit the programmers reset.  Eventually I took the
whole machine to the dealer, and of course the problem never occured.  Got
it back home, and off it went.  So I played around and discovered heavy use
of the floppy would aggraviate the problem.  MUST BE A POWER SUPPLY
PROBLEM.  (Can you tell I am a SW type?)  I also discovered that putting my
hand over the left top vent would speed the arrival of the symptoms.  So I
took the thing back to the dealer,  showed the sales force how to make it
happen (which took longer because they have airconditioning, and I dont!)
They proceeded to fix this and that, so I go tthe name of the service tech,
and called her direct and suggested replacing the power supply.  She said
that would be fine, and I have never had a problem since.

Mitch

------------------------------

Date: 1 Aug 89 11:01:00 PDT (Tuesday)
From: "Kee_Nethery.PARC"@xerox.com
Subject: Making COMMAND-F default

To create a Command-F postscript file automatically, install MacroMaker
(Apple System Software) and create a macro "Vax Print" or something like
that.  Then, have it record your printing and then pressing Command-F to
create the postscript file.  It's possible you could create one "Vax Print"
that would work with all your software, but if not, you can just as easily
make a separate "Vax Print" for each application.
Kee Nethery
Kagi.Kee@AppleLink.Apple.Com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Aug 89 17:18:09 -0900
From: "DANIEL K LASOTA"  <FTDKL%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MathGrapher stack

MathGrapher allows one to write, edit, plot, and print math
functions all within the HyperCard environment.
Includes extensive online help with math and with the stack
functions.  This version is free.
Send comments.
Dan LaSota

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/math-grapher.hqx; 221K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Jul 89 14:59:34 PDT
From: digiorgi%jplmad@ipl.jpl.nasa.gov
Subject: mpw and think thought

ref: info-mac digest v7 #131
> Date: Fri, 28 Jul 89 01:06:37 CDT
> From: auvhess@cssun.tamu.edu (David Hess)
> Subject: Programming environments
>
> 	In the recent digests, there has been a lot of talk about programming
> languages and which was best suited for what. During this Think C seemed to
> get the most praise and remarks. The other environments looked familiar (I
> fell into the Turbo Pascal trap also) but what got my attention was that
> nobody ever mentioned Apple's own Macintosh Programmer's Workshop.

Having once been a serious devotee of MPW and been converted to THINK
these days, I thought I would add my own opinions to the mill.

MPW is a comprehensive, multilanguage environment targeted primarily
at commercial scale development for applications in the multi programmer
year class.  THINK is a single language (well, two if you count inline
assembly in the C product) environment for those of modest means and aims.
Or at least that was my attitude until I started to attempt to
produce commercial code.  I have in the past three months progressed
light-years beyond where I would have been with MPW C 3.0 because
I switched to THINK C: its faster compilation and excellent debugging
make me many times more productive.  As far as I can detect,
there is little difference in the quality of the output code.

MPW's debugger, SADE, is just plain awful.

I don't want to bash MPW too much as I still use it continuously
for all sorts of things outside of writing code.

MPW has strengths: search, sort, programmatic editing, and compare tools;
the multi-user project management; the combination of ResEdit, Rez and Derez
for managing the creation and modification of Mac resource data; scripts.
Source code management power tools, in a sense.

Overall, I discover that these elements of the programming task consume
about 20% of my time; designing, writing and debugging code is the
other 70% (at least 10% of anyone's business time is spent in politics).

I feel strongly that development tools require balance and facility.
Like the word processor WriteNow, THINK's development teams have done
an excellent job of producing just the right collection of tools to get
95% of the job done with maximum facility.  By leaving out the lesser used
power tools, THINK is easier to learn and become good at. Occasionally,
you really need a powerful tool to accomplish a specific end; there
MPW excels. (And yes, I also have an occasional need to use Word...)

Godfrey DiGiorgi
31JUL89

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Aug 89 13:08:25 CDT
From: Tom Eskridge <eskridge@austin.lockheed.com>
Subject: NCSA Telnet 2.1e

Where can I ftp version 2.1e ?
(the 'e' being the operative character)

Tom

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Aug 89 15:38:58 SST
From: TNG TH <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PERSONAL VISION AND VIDEO BUS

I have just read Orange Micro's Programmer's Guide for Personal Vision.
I don't have the product, yet, but I am very curious about its capabilities.
It captures at 8bits at 30 frames per second over the NuBus to a video display
card. It can't do that in real time at 16 or 24bits/pixel. Reason, NuBus is
too slow. But, aha, it can capture in real time at 16 or 24 bits with
a Video-Bus compatible display card. This seems to be something like the
NuVista 2M or 4M where the digitizer and display h/w are on one card, bypassing
NusBus. The difference is that NuVista has both on board and the advert is very
clear on that.
Now, just what in the world is a Video-Bus compatible card? Who sells these
babies, and how compatible are they with Mac s/w and h/w? Orange Micro claims
that the card currently can capture only at 16bits in real time with a Video-
Bus card. I wonder if they sell them as well.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Aug 89 9:42:28 EDT
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: PICT to encapsulated PostScript Question

I have a friend  who doesn't have access to this net and wants to
know if there are any utilities to change a PICT resource to
encapsulated postscript. Does anyone know of such a beast? (I
don't even know what he's talking about!!)

Thanks

Ken Sussmann

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Aug 89 16:38:24 CDT
From: Michael Farlow--Texas A&M Graphics Lab <X098MF%TAMVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Questions on Word 4.0

Fellow Mac Nits--

I have a few questions brought to my attn by people who use the Macs in our
lab concerning 4.0 and its tabling feature.

1.  How can I use Tab stops within the cells?  I know that pressing Tab will
    move the insertion point one cell to the right.  I also know that when ever
    I place a Decimal Tab in the cell Word automatically tabs to that position
    so that my numbers will line up on the decimal.  But there are times when
    I use text within tables and want to side-by-side lists with bullets or
    numbers.  One work-around is to place a space or two where the tab should
    be and then use the Search and Replace utility.  It works, but it gets
    very tedious.

2.  Next, once a Table has been created, say with 10 rows, how can I insert a
    carrige return between rows 6 and 7?  Another way of saying this is how
    can I break a table into 2 distinct parts?  There have been times when Word
    places a page break in the middle of my table and I want to break it so
    that I can place a bit of text (ie. Cont'd) above the second part.

I'm hoping that someone out there has some answers, and I thank you all that
respond in advance.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Date: Mon, 31 Jul 89 01:02 EDT
From: "Maj. Doug Hardie" <Hardie@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL>
Subject: Screen to Clipboard Function Key

This is an update of a function key that copies all or part of the
screen as a picture into the clipboard.  The original program did
not properly handle the clipboard under multifinder.

This is setup as function key 5, and needs to be added in to the
system file to operate using either ResEdit or FK Manager.  The
FK number can be changed if desired.

To use it, put whatever you want to copy onto the screen.  Then
activate the Fk.  A cursor that is the top and left sides of a box
will appear.  Move it to the upper left cornor of the desired
picture.  Hold the mouse dowm and move the new cursor to the
lower right of the desired picture and release the mouse.  The
picture will now be in the clipboard.

If you hold the mouse down less than 1/2 second, or don't move it
while the mouse is down, the entire screen will be placed into
the clipboard.

This program is public domain.  Hopefully it will help someone.

-- Doug Hardie

[Archived as /info-mac/fkey/screen-copy/hqx; 3K]

------------------------------

Date: 1 Aug 89 18:41:21 EDT (Tue)
From: muaddib@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us (David Pieczkiewicz)
Subject: SE/30 Replacement Monitor

I will be getting an SE/30 in a few weeks and have a question about
replacement monitors for the machine. I am somewhat new to Mac machines and
their architecture, so bear with me.

Coming out front with the question, is there such a product as an internal
color monitor? I am aware that the SE/30 has Color QuickDraw, but lacks a
color screen, and I am interested in the options available in the way of color
monitors. If such a product exists, does it require use of the 030-direct
slot, or can it use the onboard connector? (Assuming that the connector
is capable of more than monochrome transmission.)

Does this type of monitor exist, or is it just a pipe-dream on my part? I
am interested in color applications with the SE/30, but would rather not
take up extra desk space and power with a second monitor.

David Pieczkiewicz (muaddib@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Jul 89 13:40:39 -0200
From: sund@tde.lth.se (Lars Sundstr|m)
Subject: SuperBar 1.0

SuperBar

This is a simple INIT which fixes the annoying flickering every
time the menubar is drawn. Specially useful if your are
sensitive to ugly screen updating. SuperBar is freeware.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/superbar.hqx; 5K]

------------------------------

Date: 31 Jul 89 16:34:52 PDT (Monday)
From: JWenn.ESAE@xerox.com
Subject: THINK C 4.0 and C++

The following information is taken from messages by Jorg Brown (programmer
at Symantec) on Compuserve & comp.sys.mac.programmer:

/John
   =======================
-> Is it C++ or Objective C?
No. THINK C 4.0 is to C as Object Pascal is to Pascal. We have added
object oriented features to C in a syntax that matches that of C++'s
object extensions. The other more bizarre features of C++, like operator
overloading, inline functions, "//" style comments, have not been added.
It is conceivable that such features could be a part of another release
of THINK C, but in any case it was not worth holding up this release to
put in and test more language changes.

What's in this version is the ability to say:

struct object : superclass {
   short someInstanceVar;
   void someMethod(void);
};

routine() {
    object *someObject;
    someObject = new(object);
    someObject->somemethod();
    delete(someObject);
}

void object::someMethod() {
    someInstanceVar += 1;
}

There are also a few other niceties, such as being able to test for class
membership, being able to use direct classes (i.e. they're pointed at and
don't have a handle like indirect (Pascal-like) classes do), and the
elimination of the "virtual" keyword.  (If your linker is knowledgeable
about objects, it can figure out when you haven't overridden a method all
by itself.)  Other features of C++, such as constructors, destructors,
function overloading, being able to say new(some_structure_type) and so
on aren't in this release.  I hate to say it, but you should probably
assume that if you haven't heard that it's in this release, it's probably not.

If your experience is anything like our beta-testers', though, you'll be
a lot more excited about what you've got than what you don't.  You can do
the same as object constructors in this release simply by using a line such as:

    someObject = new(obejct)->instantiate(someInitializationStuff);

and similarly for many other features of C++; they're syntactic sugar in
the lnaguage that make it more readable but don't provide any functionality
that isn't there already.  The main functionality of objects, however,
is hard to achieve without language support.

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  2 Aug 89 10:43:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Yozie <dy0b+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Time to buy SIMMS?

I finally got a chance to look through this month's MacUser, and I
noticed that the average price of 1 meg SIMMS was about $130.  This is
the cheapest that I've ever seen them, and I was wondering if I should
buy now or wait for the prices to go down even further.

Also, I have an SE/30, and I'd like to know if there is any special type
(speed?) of SIMM that I must purchase.

Finally, does anyone know of a reputable (and cheap) mail order company
that sells these SIMMS?

Thanks.

David Yozie
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Aug 89 10:21:59 +0200
From: Ingemar Ragnemalm <ingemar@isy.liu.se>
Subject: Whats wrong with the Mac ....

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>You know, not long ago I though Macs where cute toys. Now, consider myself a
>MAC advocate. I'm constantly writing memos justifying "A MAC ON EVERY DESK"
>making an analogy to the telephone etc. I like my Mac, and I also like UNIX.
>But, I find it real frustrating when I want proces a group of files
>on my mac and I have to go find 'em and click - Or heaven forbid I had a program
>that did something to files fed to it (like unix commands tend to be written)
>and I wanted to envoke a command with a list of files as entry parameters -or-
>envoke that command once for each file in my list.

>Is there something out there I can use like a command line interpreter?

Sure!

First and last: the MPW shell! If you can afford it and has enough space
on your HD, this is it! Many UNIX programs are running under the shell with
little or no modification (have I been told) and there are a large amount
of tools (commands/programs) for it. One problem, though: if you don't
highlight the part of a command line that you want processed (like everything
except the prompt) the entire line will be sent to the program asking for
input. No big problem.

There are also a few others:
CLIM, Command Line Interface for the Mac. I tried it once. I don't think
you can add new tools easily, but I may be wrong.
MOS, Martian Operating System. A subset is included in "ArcMac", but I
havn't heard of any complete version.

(I've been working on one myself a little, but I don't know if it's worth it.
I planned on making it a DA or FKEY. What features do you think it should
have?)

So, try MPW shell. It will solve your problems. (But why am I not using it?)

Yours,
Ingemar Ragnemalm
--
Dept. of Electrical Engineering	     ...!uunet!mcvax!enea!rainier!ingemar
                  ..

End of Info-Mac Digest