Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (08/06/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Sat,  5 Aug 89       Volume 7 : Issue 137

Today's Topics:
                       A better monthly planner
                        Another DFaultD bug...
                         BITNET mail follows
                         Changing SCSI Icons
                          Dying Hard Drives
                   External floppy drive for Mac II
                               IBM 4216
                              Image 1.16
                           LZW Compression
                           Mac II ON Button
                          MacWrite question.
                       Making COMMAND-F default
                        MenuEditor 1.2 (Query)
                              MultiXfer
                    PackBits/UnpackBits Algorithm
                            PopupMenu CDEF
                PostScript questions/request for info
                               Que 1.1
                       Query About New Product
                        Questions on Word 4.0
                          Radius Accelerator
                       Re Questions on Word 4.0
                         Text Editor request
                            Word 4.0 bug?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 1 Aug 89 19:28 PDT
From: MYSTERY@max.acs.washington.edu
Subject: A better monthly planner

This is a powerful Monthly Planner written in Hypercard...which
will become even more so in the near future..Enjoy! :=>

MystyMan@UWACDC.acs.washington.edu
		or
Gorr@UWACDC.acs.washington.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/monthly-planner.hqx; 36K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 89 05:59:02 PDT
From: casagrande%crcvax%nssdca.span@io.arc.nasa.gov (LOUIE CASAGRANDE)
Subject: Another DFaultD bug...

Sorry I didn't notice this before I posted it, but it seems that DFaultD
causes my machine to insert the name of my hard disk into every "Please insert
disk ^0" message.  I haven't played around with any other INIT/ and/or CDEV
combinations which may be abetting this.  Hope this helps clear up any problems
people may have been seeing.

Lou Casagrande
Grumman Corporate Research Center
Mail Stop A02-26
Bethpage, NY 11714-3580
(516)346-6379

------------------------------

Date: 4 Aug 89   10:01 EDT
From: ATSDBL%UOFT01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: BITNET mail follows

Date: 4 Aug 89
>From: David B. Lutz <ATSDBL@UOFT01.BITNET>
Subject: SE/II mouse adapter cable for Mac Plus

Is there any company out there that makes a 9-to-8 pin adapter that
would allow one to hook up a Mac SE/II mouse to a Macintosh Plus? We have
several reasons for wanting such an adapter:

  - SE/II mice are preferred by most users
  - when ordering replacement mice, it takes us much less time to get the
    SE/II mouse than the old Plus mouse
  - we have the SE/II mouse in stock.

Any information about such an adapter (if one exists) would be
greatly appreciated.

Dave Lutz
ATSDBL@UOFT01.BITNET
--------------------------------------
Disclaimer?  I'd never disclaim 'er!!!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 89 10:00:02 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: Changing SCSI Icons

The icon-and-mask for a SCSI hard disk is provided by the disk-driver
software on a per-disk basis... it's not necessarily stored as an
ICN#.  The Finder asks the driver for the icon by issuing a special
_Control call;  the driver returns a bitmap of the icon and its mask.

The icon information usually originates in the program which formats
the disk and installs the driver (e.g. Apple's HD SCSI Setup).  It's
sometimes hard-coded into the driver code (which is usually written in
assembler), and is sometimes stored as an ICN# in the installer program
and patched into the driver when the driver is written out onto the
newly-formatted disk.

It is _sometimes_ possible to change the disk's icon by modifying the
corresponding ICN# resource in the formatter/installer program, and
then using the "Update driver" command in the installer (if it has
one).  If the icon/mask info is hard-coded in the driver itself, you'd
need to patch it with a bit-editor such as FEdit or MacSnoop.

A much better and safer approach is to use the Facade INIT.  Facade
intercepts the "What's your icon?" _Control call, and substitutes a
new, user-selectable icon based on the disk's name.  You can add new
ICN# resources to the Facade INIT (or its separate icon-file, depending
on the version);  you simply add the ICN#, set its name to be the name
of the disk to which you want it to apply, and then reboot.  You can
create customized icons for hard disks, network-disk volumes, floppies,
RAMdisks, and so forth.

Facade is freeware, and can be found in most good Mac archives
including (I believe) the Info-Mac archives.

Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:   coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,  ...@uunet.uu.net
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 89 17:42:39 -0400
From: mjkobb@athena.mit.edu
Subject: Dying Hard Drives

>From the September MacWorld:

"APPLE TO FIX PROBLEM HARD DISKS

"Apple has extended the repair policy on its Apple Hard disk 40SC 40MB hard
disks with serial numbers 335507 to 1023016 due to the drives' high rate of
failure at start-up.  Users of failed drives with serial numbers in that range
will receive another hard disk free through June of 1990, according to Apple.
The company will also reimburse customers who have already paid for repairs.
For more information, contact your dealer."

Hope this helps all you folks whose lamentations I've been reading of late...

--Mike

Disclaimer:  I'm just quoting it as I read it.  Neither I nor my employer have
anything to do with this announcement!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 89 23:49:00 EDT
From: Churn_Hway_Wang@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: External floppy drive for Mac II

There is an article on August issue of MacUser regarding to
using an external floppy drive on a Mac II. I followed the instruction
to make a cable. One end of the cable is 20-connector which will be plugged
on the mother board of a Mac II. The other end is a female DB-19 connector
which will be attached to the plug of the external floppy drive.
However, it does not work. When the external floppy drive was plugged
on my Mac II and inserted a floppy, it said the disk is not readable
and asking to initialize the disk. I clicked O.K. The drive turned
a few seconds and said initialization failed.
I connected the drive to an SE. It worked fine. Then I doubled checked
the cable. The cable is O.K. I suspect the pin connection printed on
the magazine is wrong. Does anyone have the experience of
making such kind of cable.
The following is the pin assignment.

  20-pin-connector          DB-19
       20 ------------------- 10
       19 -------------------  8
       18 ------------------- 19
       17 -------------------  8
       16 ------------------- 18
       15 -------------------  8
       14 ------------------- 17
       13 ------------------- 7 & 8
       12 ------------------- 16
       11 -------------------  6
       10 ------------------- 15
        9 -------------------  5
        8 ------------------- 14
        7 -------------------  4
        6 ------------------- 13
        5 -------------------  3
        4 ------------------- 12
        3 -------------------  2
        2 ------------------- 11
        1 -------------------  1

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 89 09:43 EST
From: <DANNY%BCVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Lassaiz les bon temps rouler!)
Subject: IBM 4216

Model 50.  While it's connected to a PC you cannot use it on an Appletalk
network.  To do so, you have to disconnect it from your PC, connect it to
Appletalk using the Appletalk port on the printer, and flip the dip switches
(*aaagh!*) to the Appletalk settings as per the manual.  It will now work with
PS files from your Mac.

Good Luck,

Dan Henderson
Boston College

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Aug 89 09:50:22 -0400
From: wayne@alw.nih.gov (wayne rasband)
Subject: Image 1.16

Image 1.16 is a public domain program for the Macintosh II for
doing digital image processing and analysis. It can acquire,
enhance, measure, edit, animate, print and pseudocolor images.  It
reads and writes TIFF and PICT files and supports many standard
image processing functions, including histogram equalization,
contrast enhancement, density profiling, smoothing, sharpening,
edge detection, and noise reduction.

It can be used to measure lengths and x-y coordinates, and compute
the mean density and area of user defined regions of interest.
Length and area measurements results can be calibrated to provide
real world values.

It provides MacPaint-like editing of color and grayscale images,
including the ability to draw lines, rectangles, ovals and text.
It can flip, rotate, invert and scale selections. It supports
multiple windows and 8 levels of magnification. All editing,
filtering, and measurement functions operate at any level of
magnification and are undoable. It uses digital halftoning to
print images on PostScript printers.

It supports either the Data Translation QuickCapture card or Scion
Image Capture 2 card for digitizing images using a TV camera.
Acquired images can be shading corrected and frame averaged.

For full operation, Image requires a Mac II, Mac IIx, or Mac IIcx
with at least 2 megabytes of memory, but 4 megabytes, or more, is
recommended for doing animation, for simultaneously displaying
more than a handful of pictures, or for running under MultiFinder.
Image also requires an 8-bit video card capable of displaying 256
colors or shades of gray.

A 40 page manual in MacWrite format, a HyperCard reference stack,
and Lightspeed Pascal source code are available.

Version 1.16 feature a "magic wand" tool, 3D plots, improved frame
averaging, A/UX compatibility, better 32-bit QuickDraw
compatibility, and limited binary processing, including erosion
and dilation.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/image-116.hqx; 174K
             /info-mac/app/image-116-docs.hqx; 184K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 89 16:08:08 edt
From: Rocky_Olive@dgc.mceo.dg.com
Subject: LZW Compression

CEO comments:
Attention programmers:

I was reading the /info-mac/art/gif/gif-format.txt document about
gif files, and I was doing great until the part about LZW compression.
I've heard of LZW compression before, but I've never seen anything
that explained the algorithm (in detail).  I'm contemplating the
conversion of some image files to .gif format and I really would like
to know if anyone has (or can write up :-) ) some description and
examples of the LZW compression and maybe even how it relates to gif.

BTW, I don't have access to IEEE journals, so that's right out!
Please e-mail to me and I will post.  Thanks, y'all!

CEO file contents:
Rockford L. Olive ~~~~ <rocky_olive@dgc.mceo.dg.com> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Data General Corp                                          _        __
Technology  Drive      "If only Carroll Shelby could      </\______/
Apex,  NC   27502        do for America what he did         (______)
919/362-4800x5392         for the Ford Mustang..."          |\__  /|
919/362-4914 home                 anonymous                  \    | \

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 89 10:46:37 EDT
From: kerns@think.com
Subject: Mac II ON Button

The `on' button on my Mac II (Aircraft Carrier KBD) has quit on me.  Does
anyone have any clues about whats wrong.  I heard that a battery failure
could cause this problem, but the machine is still keeping time.  The rest
of the keyboard works fine.  I am using the rear switch to switch on.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Aug 89 15:01:51 CDT
From: decwrl!hplabs!hp-sdd!pnet01!pro-harvest!johnw@labrea.stanford.edu (John Withers)
Subject: MacWrite question.

Comment to message from: Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators)

We have several Mac Pluses on a network with a Mac II.  None of the Pluses
have a hard disk.  When a user clicks on a MacWrite document on one of the
networked volumes, MacWrite emits an error if the file is larger than the
remaining space on the (almost full) startup diskette.  Now for the question,
is it possible to specify another disk to be used for this (temporary?) work
space.?

John Withers
<johnw@pro-harvest> or <johnw@pro-carolina>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 89 16:51:43 -0500
From: Don Gilbert <gilbertd@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>
Subject: Making COMMAND-F default

 In a recent info-mac note, Kagi.Kee@AppleLink.Apple.Com writes
  "To create a Command-F postscript file automatically, install MacroMaker
  "(Apple System Software) and create a macro "Vax Print" or something like

Since I missed the notice about my new version of My-page-Setup.hqx,
maybe it didn't get into info-mac notes.  You can use this program
to go one better on this command-F jive, and put a "Disk File" check
box on your laserwriter job dialog.  Then whenever you want a
postscript file, click the "Disk File" check before hitting "Okay"
button.   Sorry, but I could not find any way to make this a
default option.

You can find the current version of this printer-fixer program
here at info-mac, archived as
    info-mac/util/my-page-setup-12.hqx

-- Don Gilbert
   gilbertd@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 89 15:17:23 GMT
From: "J.M.L.Martin" <LUCTHSCH%BDILUC11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MenuEditor 1.2 (Query)

     Dear fellow-MacIsts,

In Larry Loeb's excellent article on ResEdit in the July issue of Byte Magazine
mention was made of a program called MenuEdit 1.2, an extension to ResEdit to
make menu editing more friendly. It is supposed to lie around in the listings
section of the Mac conference on BIX (which I don't have access to). Could any-
one post a copy of this apparently very useful program to the archives?

Sincerely, Jan M.L.Martin

Disclaimer: IBM is now called: I'd Buy a Mac

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Aug 89 12:08:39 EDT
From: Martin Dubuc <dubuc@iro.umontreal.ca>
Subject: MultiXfer

Here included is MultiXfer version 0.1b0. This program is
very similar to MCS (simultaneous upload/download/chat). The
current version allow somebody to use MultiXfer as a dumb terminal
when not in transfer mode. It does support (truly) MultiFinder.

This is a preliminary version. I would be glad to hear feedbacks
>From users (good and bad) as I intend to develop more features
in it.

Only works with System 6.0 and later (by now) if not used under MultiFinder
mode.

   Martin Dubuc
   dubuc@iro.umontreal.ca

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/multixfer.hqx; 42K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 89 06:53:35 PDT
From: buaas@trout.nosc.mil (Robert A. Buaas)
Subject: PackBits/UnpackBits Algorithm

Would someone more facil with 68000 machine language than I please send
me a C-language listing of these two ROM-resident routines? They must
be fairly simple...  tks in advance/bob

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 89 9:41:10 EDT
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: PopupMenu CDEF

Here is the source code for a popup menu CDEF that appeared in
the September 1988 issue of MacTutor magazine. I have translated
it from the original Pascal to C since I don't have a Pascal
compiler. Instructions are included.

Ken

[Archived as /info-mac/source/c/popup-menu-cdef.hqx; 33K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 89 12:10:34 EDT
From: royt%pravda@gatech.edu (Roy M Turner)
Subject: PostScript questions/request for info

Hi--

I'm a bit concerned about Apple moving away from PostScript in the future.
Will they maintain some sort of compatibility? Will I, for example, still be
able to get PostScript from applications such as MacDraw to take print on
another computer, or, better yet, include in TeX files on another computer?
This is a valuable feature (when the other computer can print it), and I would
hate to see it go away.

On a related note, does anyone out there know of a product that can read
MacDraw II files and produce PostScript?  I've had good luck taking PostScript
>From MacDraw using it; however, our LaserWriter barfs when it is handed the
PostScript produced by MacDraw II -- no matter what we try to do to it (i.e.,
different laser prep files (even the one dumped by the Mac), psprint, etc.).

Thanks.
	Roy Turner

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Aug 89 22:23 EDT
From: Rob Kassel <rob@goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: Que 1.1

Here is Que 1.1.  This update fixes and enhances message header parsing.

Que is a suite of programs for transferring messages between QuickMail
and a UNIX machine via a Telecom or QM-Serial bridge.

Que is not public domain, but it is FREE!

Rob Kassel
MIT Spoken Language Systems Group

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/que-11.hqx; 33K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 5 Aug 89 10:54:03-1000
From: Arnold Edelstein  <arnolde@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>
Subject: Query About New Product

I have seen an ad for Brainpower's ArchiText, which claims to be "a true,
relational hypertext manager for text information."  Does anyone out there
have any information about this product?

Mahalo

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 89 08:02:23 -0400
From: Andy Malis <malis@bbn.com>
Subject: Questions on Word 4.0

> 1.  How can I use Tab stops within the cells?

Use option-tab.

> 2.  Next, once a Table has been created, say with 10 rows, how
>     can I insert a carrige return between rows 6 and 7?

Select row 7 and use the "Insert <<para. symbol>> Above Row" command.

Andy

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 89 12:30:42 PDT
From: chan@icsl.ucla.edu (Kevin Chan)
Subject: Radius Accelerator

Hi,

I've been considering upgrading my Mac Plus by adding an
accelerator board.  I would like some information about my
options and your experiences.

My Mac is an upgraded Mac Plus (upgraded from a 512K Mac)
and it has 4 MB of memory.  It once had its power supply
replaced (a common occurance among Mac Plus's).  Other than
that there has been no other problems.

I almost made up my mind that I will get a Radius 16 MHz Accelerator
for my Mac. The price is right and it appears to be well supported;
it is much cheaper than buying a Mac SE/30, II or my ideal machine, IIcx.
I need an accelerator (on the speed of a Mac II) for word processing,
graphics, and spread sheet work.  Hence, I would like to know the
following things about a Radius 16 MHz Accelerator

1) How do they install it?

   a) Do they cut out the old MC68000?  Or do they piggy back?
      I've read that you cannot switch from the MC68020 back to
      MC68000 mode.  Is it related to how they install the board?

   b) How much hacking do they do to the casing of the Mac Plus.
      I've read they would have to cut away at the case for the
      board to be installed.

2) How much more power will it consume?  I had my original power
   supply replaced because it gave out.  Apparently, Apple's designers
   underestimated the power consumed by the Mac; their supply
   barely supplies a "vanilla" Mac.  Will adding a Accelerator kill
   my power supply again?

3) Once the board is installed, how difficult will it be to add/remove
   my memory? Will I have to pry the board aside, or can I slip the memory
   in and out of my Mac?

4) Can I do the installation myself?  The Mac Plus has NO slot for
   accelerator boards, so I suspect installation will be a bear.  I
   can save labor cost by buying the board and installing it
   myself, at the risk of ruining my mac.  I am leaning on a
   professional installation if it involves splicing wires,
   cutting the CPU, or hacking the case.

5) I plan to buy the accelerator w/o the FPA.  Can I buy the FPA at a
   later date and install it myself?  Will the board know that
   the FPA is installed or will I have to pull some jumpers?
   I plan do install the FPA myself.

6) How compatible is the board for sounds, video functions, floating
   point operation(FPA), and memory usage? Are their patches sufficient?
   What programs have compatibilty problems?

7) Is the SCSI port any faster?  I have a Dataframe 30XP and am running
   the most current driver; will it have any compatibility problem
   with the Radius accelerator?

I have all the articles from MacWorld and MacUser about
accelerators, but they are a brief review and only one point-of-view.
What I would like to know is your personal successes and problems
with a Radius accelerator.

I would appreciate it if you can e-mail your responses to

                    chan@ee.ucla.edu

I will summarize all of the responses and submit them to info-mac.

Thanks,

- Kevin T. Chan
  UCLA EE Dept.
  405 Hilgard Ave. BH5704
  Los Angeles, CA.  90024
  (213) 206-1133
  e-mail address: chan@ee.ucla.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 89 09:24:20 PDT
From: Mike_Dustan@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: Re Questions on Word 4.0

Michael Farlow asks about splitting a table into two and getting
a tab within a column of a table. Both can be done, and both are
"documented" (read "buried" :-)) within the Word 4.0 Manual.

To split a table into two, place the cursor on the row BELOW
where the split is to occur. Then type flower-option-spacebar.
Intuitive, don't you think? Anyway, it's on page 372.

To type a tab into a column in a table, instead of tabbing from
one column to the next, use Option-Tab. This is on page 376.

Hope this helps...

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 89 09:47 EST
From: <DANNY%BCVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Lassaiz les bon temps rouler!)
Subject: Text Editor request

Hello again,

I am trying to locate (I know, this is a *stupid* question...) a simple, small
text editor application, NOT a da, that I can use on a disk to read files
created by MacLindo.  I know many of these exist, but I just can't seem to
remember any names!  Sorry for such a trivial request of such great minds, but
any quick help would be greatly appreciated!

Dan Henderson
Boston College

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 89 09:11:26 EDT
From: Michael_Webb@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Word 4.0 bug?

Please post:

Dear Netlanders:

My wife was using 4.0 last night, and I noticed a little thing I hadn't
seen before.  She has lots of page breaks in her document.  Removing a
page break caused the margins on the ruler to jump two inches to the
left (that is, negative!).  (Why do these things always happen when a
novice is using the thing??!!).  This cause the margins for the whole
document to be rearranged, not just the particular paragraph.  Also,
removing a hard return between adjacent lines had the same effect, but only
on the line immediately below the hard return.  At one point, this caused
a whole line to completely disappear from the document, never to be
seen again.  (I did this by using the horizontal scroll bar to move the
document back to the left so 0 was at the left edge of the screen.  When
I pushed it back, with the scroll bar, to see the line at -2 inches, it
was gone.  Did that make sense?).  Did she secretly plant a bomb somewhere
in the document to bug me, is this a feature, or is there really something
wrong?

Reply to me or the net, it doesn't matter.

          |       Michael Webb                             |
          |       University of Michigan Physics Dept.     |
          |       1038 Randall Laboratory                  |
          |       Ann Arbor, MI  48109                     |
          |       Michael_Webb@ub.cc.umich.edu             |

End of Info-Mac Digest