Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (08/08/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon,  7 Aug 89       Volume 7 : Issue 138

Today's Topics:
                              AppleCare
                       Appletalk example eanted
                         Application Builders
                           Batman & memory
                          Boomerang Problems
                         Changing SCSI Icons
                Fast FTP for the Mac/NCSA Telnet 2.3b2
               How do I change menu font from Chicago?
                    I lost my programmer's switch!
                          in need of uWrite
                    Large text files and HyperCard
            Mac support of multiple drives on one SCSI ID
                             Miscellanea
                           NCSA Telnet 2.1e
                        Organizational charts
        Performance of MicroNet's Syquest 42MB cartridge disks
                          Radius Accelerator
                   What do I do with /sound files?
                               Word Fun

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: 05 Aug 89 22:29 -0330
From: dgraham%leif.mun.ca@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: AppleCare

One of the few advantages of being a Canadian Mac user is that when I
bought my Mac I was given 1 year of AppleCare free of charge.  (I
bought a second year and was rewarded when the power supply on my Plus
failed 1 week before the end of the year...).  I don't know whether
this deal still applies or not, but it shouldn't have to: the warranty
should definitely be 12 months.

David Graham
dgraham@kean.mun.ca

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Aug 89 16:47:22 EDT
From: isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michael S. Schechter - ISR group account)
Subject: Appletalk example eanted

Can anyone point me where I could find one or two
examples of Appletalk code written in C, preferably
for MPW or Aztec? I'm looking for simple socket-socket
or name-name message passing.
Thanks, Mike (isr@rodan.syr.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Aug 89 14:42:59 edt
From: abboud%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu (Hisham)
Subject: Application Builders

Dear MacNetters,

Has anybody had any experience with application building programs?  Two in
particular I am currently looking at are Prototyper 2.0 (from SmethersBarnes)
and AppMaker 1.0 (from BOWERS Development).  They both claim to let you build
menus, windows, dialogs, alert boxes, etc.  They also both claim to let you do
it nicely and interactively, and then generate the source code (C or Pascal).
Any experiences with these two (or others)???

Thanks in advance.

Hisham A. Abboud
Computer Center
Catholic University of America,
Washington, D.C. 20064

Bitnet:    ABBOUD@CUA
Internet:  ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@NETCON.CUA.EDU
    or     ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@192.31.193.2

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Aug 89 16:20 CDT
From: Fred Seaton - WIU  309/298-1681 <MUCM000%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Batman & memory

I have to say I *love* the Batman startup screen, especially in Color (except
I usually turn off my color becuase it slows down one of my terminal emulators),
however, today I went to run a utility and got the old "not enough memory"
message (sorry, my 4mb upgrade hasn't arrived yet), and About the Finder told
me that my system was consuming 519K !!! (w/o multi-finder).  Since Batman was
the only change I made to my system in the last few weeks, I suspected him.
After removal, and restart, System went back down to 268K.

So, why is Batman eating 251K!!!!????  Just for testing purposes, I loaded
my Garfield startupscreen into the system folder, restarted, and system went
DOWN to 265K!  (apparently, the Mac Startup screen loads an Icon or driver
into the system, accounting for the extra 3K?).

Help, I want my batman screen, but can't wait for Purchasing to approve my
memory order.

Fred Seaton
Academic Computing
Western Illinois University
mucm000@ecncdc.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 6 Aug 89 21:14 EDT
From: <LGREEN%WHEATNMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Boomerang Problems

This might be a possible problem.  Using Disenfectant 1.2 I scanned my hard
drive and Boomerang came up with an error in the resource fork.  Is there
something I should know?  I am using the latest version which was recently
posted here on Info-Mac.  Is it just my copy?  Please respond with messages
here.  Thanks in advance,
c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!/
Lyman Green                     It was the first phase of the most      /
User Services Consultant        sinister plot ever conceived in the     /
Wheaton College Norton,MA       Kremlin___The destruction of the Free   /
Bitnet:  LGREEN@WHEATNMA        World's major cities!--Blackhawk#87 1955/
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 89 14:45:30 PDT
From: truesdel@ics.uci.edu
Subject: Changing SCSI Icons

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>How do you change the Icon used by the Finder to represent your
>SCSI hard drive?

The SCSI icons are hard coded into the drivers. You can't edit them.
However, many SCSI formatting applications have the ICN#'s in normal
formats that can be edited. Then when the driver is written to the
volume, the new icon goes with it.  I know that UniMac and MicroNet
utility software can be tweeked this way.

I like MicroNet's formatting software and have used it on my Apple
drives to glean as much as 10% more disk space on format. It's
proprietary, of course.

  --scott
  gone to Boston for a week!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Aug 89 17:48:39 EDT
From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <PP838474%TECMTYVM@icsa.rice.edu>
Subject: Fast FTP for the Mac/NCSA Telnet 2.3b2

On Thu, 3 Aug 89 09:52:24 edt Greg TeHennepe said:
>Editors: I would post the new version, however the copy I have (which came
>from another institution that shall remain unnamed) was infected with
>nVIR when I received it.  Due to time constraints, I opted to attempt
>disinfecting the copy with Disinfectant 1.1 instead of waiting for a clean
>copy.  It appears to be fine now, however I hesitate to submit
>disinfected software to the archives.  If you would still like me to
>submit the new version, please let me know.

The latest version of NCSA Telnet and related files (both for Mac and PC's)
are available on the InterNet host zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu (128.174.20.50).
Look for them in /NCSA_Telnet/Mac; the current version is 2.3 and it is not
infected (I've retrieved a copy and checked it a little while ago).
Also available is the documentation on it and (apparently) some source
files.

The host always has the latest version of NCSA Telnet and allows anonymous
FTP.

Enjoy,

Juan

  Juan M. Courcoul                  | Phone:
  Postmaster / Listserv coordinator |       (835) 820-0000  Ext. 4151
  Dept. of Academic Services        |
  Monterrey Institute of Technology | BitNet:
  Monterrey, N. L.   64849          |         POSTMAST @ TECMTYVM
  Mexico                            |         PP838474 @ TECMTYVM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Aug 89 14:31:44 EDT
From: austin@caen.engin.umich.edu (Richard Austin)
Subject: How do I change menu font from Chicago?

I would like to change the font used in my menus and window titles, etc., to
something other than 12-point Chicago.  Can anyone instruct me on how to do
this?  Does an application, init, or cdev handle this, or do I need to use
ResEdit?  (ResEdit is OK if someone could give me detailed instructions--I
am NOT a mac programmer!)
(BTW, I use a Mac SE, System 6.0.2, if it makes any difference.)
  Thanks,
    Richard Austin
    austin@caen.engin.umich.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Aug 89 17:22 EDT
From: Matthew Wall <WALL%brandeis.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: I lost my programmer's switch!

Ack! I have lost my programmer's switch for my SE. (I suspect my cat, but an
inspection of the heating vents has been fruitless.) I have called and called
and called major and minor mail order suppliers, Apple dealers, and friends and
neighbors in search of a replacement. No dice. This would seem to be a trivial
part to replace, given that it probably prices out at 39 cents.  Does anyone
have suggestions on where I might look?

Feel free to reply directly to me and I will post this tidbit of timely trivia
back to info-mac.

10**3 thanks...

Matt Wall - Switchless Programmer
WALL@BRANDEIS.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Aug 89 12:52 EDT
From: Maurice Volaski <V050FN5R@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: in need of uWrite

I downloaded the think-pascal-help-system off sumex-aim. In order to
fully utilize its potential I need a program that will let me save styled text
with the styles saved as a resource. The author suggests his own program
called uwrite (where the u is the symbol for micron). I can't seem to find
this program on sumex-aim, however. Does anyone know where I can get it or
something like it?

Maurice Volaski
Department of Physiology
University at Buffalo
v050fn5r@ubvms

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 6 Aug 1989  16:49:12 EDT
From: FAC0395%UOFT01.BITNET@jade.berkeley.edu    (J. Feustle)
Subject: Large text files and HyperCard

I have a number of large --for HyperCard that is-- text files that
I want to import into several stacks that I am creating. I have
tried reading them in using the IMPORT TEXT button but that leaves
a lot of clean-up work to be done afterward. I've read the files
using delimiters every 14 lines --the size of the text field on
my card-- and read them by the number of characters. Same problem.

Does anyone know of a utility that will read text from a file until
it fills the card's text field (spaces included), then creates
another card, and so on until all text is imported? Here's hoping
for a better way.

Thanks,
J. Feustle
FAC0395@UOFTO1.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon 7 Aug 89 21:24:24-PDT
From: Arnold Tang <CON.TANG@gsb-how.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac support of multiple drives on one SCSI ID

Some SCSI controllers can support more than one physical drive
on the same SCSI I.D.

Does anyone know of any utilities that can help a Mac support
such a configuration?
-------

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 6 Aug 89 18:53:00 PDT
From: USERQKMP@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: Miscellanea

#1. Using an SE mouse with a Plus
this is far more complicated than a 9<-->8 pin adapter.  The ADB(SE/II)
mouse has a little microprocessor inside which sends packets along the ADB.
To translate these packets into Plus-compatible mouse signals is not trivial.
#2.  External floppy for Mac II
Save yourself a lot of trouble...open up the external drive and take the
DB-19 cable out completely.  You will then have a 20-pin connector exactly
like the one inside your II.  Make a ribbon cable with the same connector on
each end, fold it thru the hole on the back of the external that you removed
the cable from, and plug it into the II motherboard. Simple.
#3.  Changing SCSI disk icons
Facade is OK, but my friend Blair wrote what has got to be the ultimate in
pointless Mac utilities -- an INIT called 'BootIcon' which installs a VBL
task which changes the icon of your hard disk in real time depending on how
much free space remains on the disk.  The original set of icons portrays an
unclothed female torso whose, um, measurements vary directly with space
available.  One could edit those to something more socially acceptable ;-)
I'd post it to the archives, but the only way I can send files off this
account is via ftp. (If that helps, let me know, moderators :-)
Alex Curylo Simon Fraser University (604) 298-8913

------------------------------

Date: 4 Aug 89 21:51:58 GMT
From: Scott Truesdell <truesdel@ics.uci.edu>
Subject: NCSA Telnet 2.1e

Tom Eskridge <eskridge@austin.lockheed.com> writes:

>Where can I ftp version 2.1e ?
>(the 'e' being the operative character)

The current version is 2.2 and then there's version 2.3 which supports
MacTCP.  What is it with this 2.1e version? Anything special?

  --scott

  Claimer:  I speak for everybody.

--
Scott Truesdell

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Aug 89 13:16:08 EDT
From: "Judith T. Frawley" <JFRAWLEY%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Organizational charts

I have a client who is interested in software for creating
organizational charts.  I don't think that it needs to be
fancy.  I know that I've seen/heard of such a package for
the Mac, but I cannot remember what it is.  If anyone has
any suggestions, I appreciate it.

Judy Frawley
Consultant
Syracuse University
JFRAWLEY@SUVM.ACS.SYR.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 6 Aug 89 19:11 EDT
From: Peter Szolovits <psz@zermatt.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: Performance of MicroNet's Syquest 42MB cartridge disks

Our group recently got a Syquest 42MB cartridge disk, and for those
interested in this device, here's a summary of our early timing
impressions.  Ours is a unit from MicroNet.  (As I understand, all the
various vendors use the same drive mechanism, but package it with their
own chassis, power supply, drivers, utilities, etc.)

The test I ran was to move a large volume of files, simply by dragging
in the Finder, to simulate the use of the cartridge as a backup device.
On a Mac IIx, running from a 600MB (18ms access) disk, moving a 31.4MB
folder took the following:

To the cartridge:	439 sec	-> 14.0 sec/MB (71.5KB/sec)
>From the cartridge:	333 sec -> 10.6 sec/MB (94.3KB/sec)

Copying from an HD partition (part of SUM) partition on the hard disk
increased the first time from 439 to 533 sec, -> 17.0 sec/MB (58.9KB/sec).

For comparison, simply copying the same folder from a partition to the
main disk (thus, a fast disk but much head movement) took 283 sec, ->
9.0 sec/MB (111KB/sec).

I suspected that using the finder was hardly the fastest means of moving
these bits.  Indeed, a simple trial with DiskFit 1.5, moving 42.8MB to
the cartridge disk took only 316 sec, -> 7.4 sec/MB (135.4KB/sec), for
a 38% faster data rate.

In any case, it sure is a WONDERFUL replacement for the DC-2000 tapes
that take for ever with any software.  Infinitely faster, for about
three times the cost (~$90/cartridge in quantity 10).  If it's reliable
(too early for us to tell), this is a real win.

In the MicroNet packaging, our biggest problem so far is that MicroNet
has a built-in SCSI terminator in their box, with no instructions for
removing it; thus you have to make sure this is the last device in the
SCSI chain.  Also, their implementation of the SCSI hardware apparently
grounds the SCSI bus when the unit is not powered on; therefore, if it's
attached at all, you mush power it on when you want to use the Mac, even
if there's no disk in it and you have no desire to use it.  These are
inconvenient, but not debilitating.  MicroNet also delivers the blank
cartridges formatted to optimize access from a Mac Plus.  This yields
15-45% slower responses on a Mac IIx than I quoted above; the above
times are after reformatting for the IIx (an easy task) with the
MicroNet-supplied utility.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any organization mentioned here
and my opinions and experiences are purely my own.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Aug 89 00:04:55 EDT
From: siegel@harvard.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel)
Subject: Radius Accelerator

The Radius Accelerator 16 for the Plus is a good board; I have one in
my Plus (4MB RAM, also a Radius FPD interface).

Point-by-point:

1) The accelerator board is connected to a jumper board, which in turn
clips on to the soldered-in 68000. If you purchase a Radius FPD interface
(which can be done later, as I did), the FPD interface is substituted in
place of the jumperboard.

Any claims about modifying the case are a fallacy; the case does NOT have
to be cut, sanded, or modified in any way.

2) I don't know what the power demands of the accelerator are. My Mac Plus
still has its original power supply (knock on wood), and the Radius board
doesn't seem to place inordinate strain on it; I've had no problems after
more than a year of 10-hour-a-day use.

Radius supplies a fan and air baffles to mount inside the Mac; I also use
a Kensinton System Saver Mac, which provides superior cooling (in my opinion),
as well as spike suppression and some additional outlets.

3) The accelerator board hangs over the SIMMs, so you'll have to remove
it before installing any additional memory, once it's in. Because the
clearances are close, you won't be able to use the Dove piggyback
upgrades or high-profile DIP memories; the only compatible form factor
is the low-profile surface-mount SIMM; most places carry these, so ask when
ordering.

4) You can install the board yourself (I did), but it is definitely not
for the faint of heart. Radius recommends installation by qualified
technician; if you're adept with needlenose pliers, voltmeter, know
your way around the innards of the Mac, and are VERY patient and VERY
careful, then do it yourself.

5) The FPU can be installed after purchase; it's right on top of the
board. You install a jumper to tell the accelerator it's there, but that's
a simple matter. (Yes, I did this too - installed a 68882 for about 25%
speed increase....)

Beware of bending pins when installing the new chip; those pin-grid arrays
are really tricky. Also watch for static, and be sure you're properly grounded.

6) Radius provides an INIT to patch the sound drivers for 68020 compatibilty;
it works pretty well, except for a little static, but that's caused by the
FPD (longer VBL cycle time, for those who care). If you're not using the FPD,
sound will be OK. They also provide a SANE patching INIT which hooks
SANE into the math coprocessor, if one is installed. The newest version is
1.4, and it seems to work well (unlike previous versions, AHEM). I don't
know of any problems with applications, but TMON's trap discipline gets
set off continually by the Radius board, something which is annoying but
hardly fatal.

7) The accelerator doesn't change SCSI behavior at all, either in
hardware or in software. The new version of the ROMs is compatible with
everything, INCLUDING, finally, DataFrame disk drives. (Older versions
had this ugly habit of toasting XP60 drives, something which was partially
SuperMac's fault.) I recommend the use of SilverLining on drives that
can use it, and set the transfer loops to "Fast Handshake", BEFORE you
install the accelerator.

I like the Radius board; it works well for me, and I've had no problems with
it; Radius is pleasant to deal with, and their tech support is quite competent.

I have no stake in either Radius or Kensington; I speak as a satisfied
customer.

R.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel

"When it comes to my health, I think of my body as a temple - or at least
a moderately well-managed Presbyterian youth center." - Emo Phillips

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Aug 89 12:22:30 EDT
From: "David L. Bartlett" <R3DLB%AKRONVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: What do I do with /sound files?

Hello.

I FTP't some of the sound files on the sound subdirectory like
 ROBOCOP and BATMAN. How do I make these work ?
 I transferred them here and downloaded them. I debinhexed them and
 "dearchived" them with stuffit. They don't seem to work with anything.

Thanks...

       David L. Bartlett (R3DLB@AKRONVM.BITNET)
                         (R3DLB@VM1.CC.UAKRON.EDU)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 6 Aug 1989 17:35:20 CDT
From: Michael Farlow--Texas A&M Graphics Lab <X098MF%TAMVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Word Fun

Fellow Mac Users,

I just read something about MS-Word 4 that is humorous and I thoght I would
share with you.

This comes from MacWEEK of 25 July in the MacInTouch column by Rick LePage and
Ric Ford.

According to them, Word has an interesting bug to it.  If you are to run the
Speller to check the word 'childcare', Word flags it as misspelled and its
suggestion as a replacement is the word 'kidnaping' (sic).  B-)   (Holy Fatal
Attraction, Batman!)  B-}

The next one seems like something that the creators of Word did to aleviate the
tedium of programming and debugging.  I won't say what happens, but try
holding down the Command key and clicking on the Word Icon in the About...
dialog box.

Something else that caught my eye in the column about Illustrator and 32-Bit
Color QD is this.

"Users of Apple's 32-bit QuickDraw have encountered  some problems with Version
1.8.3 of Adobe Illustrator 88.  It seems that Illustrator crashes everytim you
quit the application, but one user who reported the bug to the company said
that a fix for the problem is not expected until the end of the year."

Some of you may remember that I reported a problem with Illustrator showing
patterns instead of colors in the preview mode (on a IIx, Sys 6.0.2, 4meg ram,
Apple 13" RGB).  Well, I had 32 bit QD on it at the time, and while it never
actually crashed, I think that is what was causing the problem.  When I
re-installed the System sofware, I didn't include 32-bit QD and everything is
back to normal, what ever that was <grin>.

---Michael Farlow

                   "Once more into the breach..."
                                         --Zania, the Human Cannonball

End of Info-Mac Digest