Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (08/16/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 15 Aug 89       Volume 7 : Issue 141

Today's Topics:
           "System disk" changing when opening Applications
                         3D graphing program
              4th Dimension Technotes & Externals wanted
Adobe Type Manager, outline screen fonts, and non-PostScript printers
                               Archives
                      Does anyone have DrawOver?
                             Envelope 1.0
               File: "INFO-MAC MAIL" being sent to you
                                 GIF
              HELP with a brocken clock on a new IIcx...
                        John Scully's Address
                    Level 5 expert systems package
                    Looking for Old English fonts
                          MacMan DA trouble
                       Mathematical programs II
                         NCSA TELNET for PC's
                          PICT->PostScript??
                          Visual Programming

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 09 Aug 89 20:49:09 EDT
From: Jim Henry in Chattanooga <JHENRY%UTCVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: "System disk" changing when opening Applications

At times I start up my Mac from a floppy with a system that I want to use.
If I then open an application on my hard disk, the hard disk becomes my
"System disk."  I want to stop this from happening.

The details are these:  Mac SE, Apple HD with System 6.0.3
                        Floppy system (Arabic Interface System) 6.0.3

Most of the time I use the HD's system, but on occasions I want to use the
Arabic system with a word processor that is on the HD. When the Mac switches
to the HD's system, I lose all the Arabic language capabilities, which, of
course, is why I started up with the Arabic system.

Any suggestions as to how to stop this changing of Systewm disks?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 89 13:39:27 PDT
From: chris@hobbes.lbl.gov (Christopher Moll)
Subject: 3D graphing program

	Various people have sent me inquiries about the
3D-graphing program I posted some time ago; unfortunately,
life intervened and they were banished to remote corners of the
hard-disk.  I intend to post the source-code for the interested;
you haven't been forgotten!

	Chris Moll
	chris@hobbes.lbl.gov
	843-2437

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 89 21:10 N
From: <ADEGROOT%HROEUR5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: 4th Dimension Technotes & Externals wanted

I'm working on a Oracle/4th Dimension project and have the following
request.

I read that there are Tecnical Notes and Externals available for 4th
Dimension. However, the local distributor of 4th Dimension here in
Holland is not willing to give this stuff to me.

So, I would like to hear from those who have these technotes and
externals how and where they got them from. May be someone can poste
the stuff to the archives (if that is legally possible).

I'm also interested in wether the Oracle/4th Dimension interface works
with version 2.0 of 4th Dimension.

Please contact me direct, I will post a summary to InfoMac.

Many thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 89 23:51:14 PDT
From: gelphman@adobe.com (David Gelphman)
Subject: Adobe Type Manager, outline screen fonts, and non-PostScript printers

There has been a lot of discussion on the net about the HP DeskWriter
printer and outline fonts, so I thought people would be interested in
the Adobe Type Manager and its impact on such topics.

This week at MacWorld, Adobe Systems is showing the recently announced
Adobe Type Manager (ATM) for the Macintosh.

What it does: Simply stated, ATM works allows PostScript outline fonts
produced with our font technology to be rendered on the display and on
non-PostScript output devices. This all works transparently to virtually all
applications on the Macintosh.

For example, suppose I normally use the Stone downloadable PostScript
typefaces. The package comes with screen fonts for all the faces in
sizes 10,12,14,18,24. Also included are the outline fonts which I just
copy into my System Folder.

Without ATM installed, Apple QuickDraw will scale the bit images of
the bitmap screen fonts if I choose anything besides those sizes I've
installed. If you seen bit scaling of fonts, you know the quality
degrades dramatically. If you print on a PostScript printer, the
LaserWriter driver takes care of downloading the PostScript outline
to the printer and the printer uses it to render characters at all sizes
with high quality results.

With ATM installed, any point size chosen can be rendered on the screen
>From the PostScript outline in the system folder. If the screen font
is available it is used. If it isn't available, ATM reads the outline
and renders the characters on the fly. This applies to both drawing on
the screen and printing. The quality of characters, even down to 10 points
on the screen is excellent. When you print to non-PostScript printers
such as the ImageWriter, LaserWriter SC and DeskWriter printers, you get
high quality type, the latter two at up to 300 dpi.

ATM works with the entire Adobe software library of fonts. This is
more than 100 packages of type with more than 400 typefaces total.
Linotype, Agfa-Compugraphic, Varityper, Monotype, Autologic, and Morisawa
have licensed the Adobe BuildFont(tm) technology so we can expect
the number of faces to explode in the future. The first release
of ATM will NOT support so-called 'type 3' fonts...they require a
PostScript interpreter and ATM is not a PostScript interpreter. I don't
know what the plans are regarding this in the future.

At MacWorld Boston we are also showing a version of Adobe Illustrator 88
which uses ATM to generate not only uniformly scaled type but also
rotated and skewed type. No more transformed bitmaps, just nice smooth
type generated from outlines. In other programs where PICTs with text
can be scaled uniformly (most Word Processors, etc.), the type is
also built from outlines so you get smooth, squished text as appropriate.

I hope this isn't too much like an ad, I don't mean it to be. I just
want to be informative.

The ATM package is $99 retail and comes with 13 outline fonts
(Times-Roman, Helvetica, Courier, Symbol, and the Bold, Italic,
and BoldItalic variations of the first three faces). These correspond
to the 13 faces in all PostScript printers. A separate package will
be available which includes the remaining 22 which are in most PostScript
printers sold today. I don't know if pricing has been determined. Again,
all the faces in the Adobe type library can be used with Adobe Type
Manager. Availability is October 1989.

I hope this information is useful.

David Gelphman
Adobe Systems Incorporated

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 89 19:34 EDT
From: <LGREEN%WHEATNMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Archives

Are there any Macintosh file archives on any of the networks that are available
to me as a Bitnet user?
I know of the Info-Mac archives and shadows at sumex, rice, and pucc, and
I know of all the virus archives, but I was wondering if there were game
archives, or art archives..
Can anyone help me?
c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!c!/
Lyman Green                     "Well, I kinda thought it was time to   /
User Services Consultant        change the neat little message I had in /
Wheaton College Norton,MA       here, but when it came time, I couldn't /
Bitnet:  LGREEN@WHEATNMA        think of what to write here!"-Lyman     /
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 89 00:13:43 EDT
From: royt%pravda@gatech.edu (Roy M Turner)
Subject: Does anyone have DrawOver?

I tried to find DrawOver (an application that takes PICT-->encapsulated
PostScript) in sumex's info-mac archives, but no luck.  Does anyone have it or
know where I might find it?
	Thanks.
	Roy

Roy Turner
AI Group, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
Internet:   royt@pravda.ics.gatech.edu or royt@gatech.edu
uucp: ...!{decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,rutgers,seismo}!gatech!royt

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 89 16:06:47 PDT
From: palkovic%almond.hepnet@lbl.gov (John Palkovic)
Subject: Envelope 1.0

The September 1989 Macworld mentions Envelope 1.0, a freeware Hypercard stack
which allows one to print addresses from the address stack onto envelopes.
The author is David Eilers.  Would someone please upload this to the archives?

Thank you.

John Palkovic
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Dept. of Physics
and
Fermilab
bitnet:         palkovic@fnalad
phonenet        (312) 840-2374

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 89 16:30:52 CDT
From: Revised List Processor (1.5o) <@rice.edu:LISTSERV%RICE@icsa.rice.edu>
Subject: File: "INFO-MAC MAIL" being sent to you

Date:         Thu, 10 Aug 89 16:26:37 CDT
>From:         Paul Heroy <HEROY@LSUVM>
Subject:      PostScript file to LW+
To:           info-mac@rice

Greetings Macxperts,

   Having just subscribed to the list, I'm sure this has been asked before,
but I have a compelling desire to ask anyway. I have a PostScript file being
generated from IBM's Script/DS product I want to send to the LW+. Can anyone
out there tell me how to go about sending this file to the LW+ once I download
it to the Mac? I'm not really sure about the exact type of PostScript file
being generated, I may have an option on that.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Paul Heroy     HEROY@LSUVM
Computer Analyst
LSU System Network Computer Center

[Moderator's Note: Use SendPS which is stored as util/sendps-121.hqx  --Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 89 08:02:52 CDT
From: CB Lih <CL06076%UAFSYSB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: GIF

Hello,
   I'm having trouble looking at and converting GIF files on my SE
running multifinder and system 6.0.3.  I keep crashing.  Does anyone
have a reliable program for this?  Is there something I should be doing
when trying to use the programs in info-mac/art/gif?
  Also, is there a way to search the archived Info-Mac Digests?
Something like the LDBASE EXEC would be very nice.
    Thank you,
=-->   CB Lih   <--=
Macintosh Support / Handicap Computer Support
BITNET: CL06076@UAFSYSB    AppleLink: U0669    Phone: 501-575-2905
US Mail: ADSB 220, University of Arkansas
         155 Razorback Road, Fayetteville, AR 72701, USA

[Moderator's Note:
I just do "ls */*key*" under FTP.
Of course this assumes I know part of the filename...
 --Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 11 Aug 89 12:49:44-PST
From: Elliot Bennett <ELLIOT@star.stanford.edu>
Subject: HELP with a brocken clock on a new IIcx...

Calling all MacHackers!

Have I got a Strange one for you!  I seem to have done something to my
Mac IIcx that I've never heard or seen been before.  Normally, when you
call up the General cdev and look at the clock it ticks along just fine.
Well, for some reason, mine's frozen.  Consequently, Superclock! doesn't
work any more.  And I can't get SoftPC 1.3 to run any more either (that's
even after reinstalling it from the master disks).  I tried resetting the
parameter ram (Cmd-option-Shift-Control Panel) and it just beeps at me
and doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Now, I run 4,328 INITs (or so it seems), but I've de-installed ALL my
INITs (using INIT/cdev) and it still doesn't change anything.  I've
booted off a virgin 6.0.3 disk and it too doesn't work.  Has ANYBODY
out there ever heard of this?  It looks as if somethings gone in and
stepped all over my ROMs, but you can't do that with READ ONLY memory
(or so the name implies).

I would be most grateful for ANY suggestions/hints/comments in this
regard.

Thank you (in advance),
Elliot Bennett
DLR
Cologne, West Germany

Please reply to elliot@star.stanford.edu (or 323Elliot@ecd1.span)

[Moderator's Note: Sounds like a blown SCC chip.  I hope it's not. --Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 89 09:24 CDT
From: GREENY <MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: John Scully's Address

Hi all....

Since my last posting to INFO-MAC, I have gotten numerous "requests to
forward my letter...", and a response or two on where to send them to!
I thought that I would pass along the address from a person who wishes to
remain nameless....(thanks again to this fine person!)

Drop mail to:

    Scully@Applelink.Apple.Com

There ya go folks.....Lets get that warranty up to a respectable level.
90 days? NO WAY! Just say NO!

Bye for now but not for long
Greeny
BITNET: MISS026@ECNCDC
Internet: MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
GEnie: GREENY
MacNet: GREENY
Disclaimer: #include<std_stuff.h>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 89 13:37:55 PDT
From: chris@hobbes.lbl.gov (Christopher Moll)
Subject: Level 5 expert systems package

	Has anyone heard of an expert systems package called Level 5
(or Level V)? Apparently it is a be-all, end-all gigantic
mainframe-based program ported to the Mac.

Reply to
	Chris Moll
	chris@hobbes.lbl.gov
	843-2437

or to the net (which I read more often than my mail...)

thanx

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 89 11:10 EDT
From: Greg Porter <PORTERG@ruby.vcu.edu>
Subject: Looking for Old English fonts

	I'm working on a DTP project (on a budget), and so I use PD fonts or
standard Mac fonts wherever possible.  While there are zillions of Times and
Helvetica clones, I'm trying to find a "Old English" style font to do drop
caps with (ala illuminated manuscripts).  The PD "London" font is the closest
I've seen, but doesn't have the detail I desire.  Is the dearth of this style
due to the inherent difficulty of making one up, or are there other reasons.
	Sources, archives, addresses and/or prices would be appreciated.
	Thanx,

	Greg Porter

	P.S. - I've already checked info-mac, sumex-aim and about 20 other
ftp sites already, along with macserve and the local b-boards.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 89 09:28:28 EDT
From: Michael D. Prange <prange@erl.mit.edu>
Subject: MacMan DA trouble

Does anyone know if there is an upgrade to the macman da in
./da/macman-part?.hqx?  The concept of having Inside Macintosh in a DA
is great, but the DA seems to have trouble with my 68020 mac.  The
frequent crashes are not worth the trouble.

Michael

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 89 09:07:08 EDT
From: Michael_Webb@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Mathematical programs II

 Message: (unfinished Send command), 110 lines
 To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU
 From: Michael Webb

 Moderator:

 Could you post the following excerpts from helpful netters who saw my last
 posting and wanted to make it more complete?.

 I obviously didn't have all the information I needed before (part of the
 reason I posted what I had -- so I could get more).  Here are quotes from
 letters I received after my last posting:

  Your summary of mathematical programs is pretty sparse: I'm sorry
  I didn't see your earlier posting on the net.  Here is some more
  information:

  Maple is a mathematical symbolic manipulator just like Mathematica.
  It does plotting also, has it's own language ,and can generate
  LaTeX and FORTRAN code.  I just got it and haven't learned everything
  about it, but from what I've learned so far, I like it alot.  Two attractive
  things about it over Mathematica is its price ($395) and that it runs
  fine on a 1 MB machine (I have a Plus).  I've also read alot of
  review comparisons, and the results are that it does its computations
  at least just as fast, and faster than Mathematica. The distributor
  for the program is actually:
  Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
  511 Forest Lodge Rd.
  Pacific Grove, CA  93950
  408-373-0728

  Kaleidagraph v2.0 has its direct competition with Cricket Graph.
  I have both, and Kaleidagraph is much more flexible.  It does some
  data analysis also.  They have an advertisement in the back
  pages of MacWeek (this weeks issue it's on page 132), you might
  want to see their ad.
  Synergy Software
  2457 Perkiomen Ave.
  Reading, PA  19606
  (215) 779-0522

  Milo is symbolic math manipulator in a different vein than
  Maple.  It's all WYSIWYG.  There are text windows, and math windows
  (and graph windows I think, or maybe it's part of the math window)
  so one could conceivably write a nice scientific paper in this
  program.  The math manipulations are things like factoring,
  simplification, integration, differentiation etc.  It's not as
  comprehensive as the Maple system (for example, Maple comes
  with 8 disks of library routines that does everything that most
  scientists can imagine doing with mathematics in their lifetime).
  However Milo is  so straightforward and useful and easy to use
  (and inexpensive- MacConnection has is for $159) that it fills
  a nice nook in all of the software out there today. I don't have
  it now, but I examined a beta version a couple of years ago, and
  I plan on getting this program this fall.  The program you
  mentioned: Theorist (by Allan Bonadino) is competing directly
  with Milo.
  Paracomp, Inc.
  123 Townsend St., Ste. 310
  San Francisco, CA  94107
  415-543-3848

  dScience is a plotting and a data reduction program.  It was
  just announced- it's currently in beta and version 1.0 will be
  out in the next month or so.  It does real scientific data
  analysis which is what I do for a living so I was especially
  interested in this program.  The types of plots that it can do
  are every type of 2D plot you can imagine and also contour plots.
  The math analysis includes Fourier transforms and curve-fitting:
  linear and nonlinear.  It also has some  statistical analysis
  like t-tests, chi-square tests etc.  I'm currently testing this
  program and it has a  lot of promise.
  SPECTRA Blue, Inc.
  7739 E. Broadway, Suite 248
  Tucson, AZ  85710
  (602) 296-3899

  I hope all of this helps.

  Amara Graps

  NASA/Ames Research Center
  M.S. 245-6
  Moffett Field, CA  94035

  Internet:
  GRAPS%GAL@AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV

  Thanks for your List of Math-Software.

  Don't forget the Matlab Program for Manipulating Matrices.

                            < P R O - M A T L A B >
           (c) Copyright  The MathWorks, Inc. 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987
                              All Rights Reserved
                           Version 3.26     1-Nov-87

  This new version includes Graphics too. It's also possible to
  write programs and functions in the Matlab-programming language.
  I use it very often (on the Sun, but it's available for the Mac too).

  - Dominik

  /*            Dominik Gruntz    Institut fuer wissenschaftliches Rechnen  *
   *                            Department fuer Informatik                *
   *        gruntz@inf.ethz.ch    ETH-Zentrum                               *
   *      Tel: +41 1 256 22 46    CH-8092 Zuerich, Switzerland              */

          |       Michael Webb                             |
          |       University of Michigan Physics Dept.     |
          |       1038 Randall Laboratory                  |
          |       Ann Arbor, MI  48109                     |
          |       Michael_Webb@ub.cc.umich.edu             |

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 89 09:38:59 EDT
From: Adriene Nazaretian <ADRIENE%YALEADS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: NCSA TELNET for PC's

I know of NCSA TELNET for mac TCP/IP use, and have heard that there is a
version for the PC world also done by NCSA called NCSA PC/IP.

Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy?  Preferrably a download
through bitnet.

I want to use TCP/IP for file transfer between mac's and ibms on ethernet.
Send mail to me direct, and I'll summarize to the net.

Thanks All :-}
Adriene Nazaretian
Bitnet: ADRIENE@YALEADS
Applelink: A0165

------------------------------

Date: Friday, 11 August 1989 12:52:56 EDT
From: Gene.Hastings@boole.ece.cmu.edu
Subject: PICT->PostScript??

I looked in the archives and did not find Drawover. Is there some other name
this utility might be called?

There IS an application called Drawover that is supplied with Adobe
Illustrator '88, which converts PICT to EPSF, but that is hardly public.

Gene

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 89 13:54 MDT
From: Reitman%UNCAMULT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Visual Programming

Does anybody have experience with Protocol and/or V.I.P.  I am basically
a lazy pseudo-programmer and I am always looking for the easy way out.
Both of these packages claim to give me this way.  I am wondering if
such "flow-chart" type programming environemnts can turn out first rate
code.  Thanks in advance :-)

[Moderator's Note: Depends on your definition of first-rate ;^)  --Jon]

End of Info-Mac Digest