Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (08/17/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 17 Aug 89       Volume 7 : Issue 143

Today's Topics:
                     Anonymous FTP and SIT files
                      Appleshare security files
                    AutoOpening AppleShare Volume
        BitMap (Screen) Font Names -> Downloadable Font Names
                          Boomerang problem
                               BootIcon
                           color SE/30 card
                               Fortran
                       Hypertext Tools for Mac
                         Inside Mac DA/MacMan
         Is there a shortage of the 8-Bit Color Video Board?
                        Organizational Charts
                  resizing windows to see disk icons
                 Reviews of Milo(tm) and Endnote(tm)
                       THINK C 4.0 and classes
                       Usenet/INFO-MAC Gateway
                         VERS Resource query
                         X-Windows for Mac OS

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 09 Aug 89 02:00:34 CDT
From: "Bob B. Funchess" <S090726@umrvma.umr.edu>
Subject: Anonymous FTP and SIT files

I have been having a problem with files that I ftp'ed from another site.
The files are stored in StuffIt! format.  The problem is that I do not have
direct internet access and so must use FTP on the IBM mainframes here, then
Kermit the files over to the Mac.  This roundabout approach works fine for
files that have been BinHex'ed, but not for these SIT! files.  Does anyone
know the proper procedure for downloading binary files (I tried telling FTP
the files were binary, but that only got them as far as the IBM system)?
If so, could you please explain it to a mere mortal?
TIA,

                             < Bob : S090726@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU : Funchess >

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 89 14:10:19 +0300
From: alon sharafi <VSALON%WEIZMANN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Appleshare security files

please help us in the following matter :
We need to backup 600 megabyte server disk on our mackintosh.
Our tape drive uses 60 Mbyte tapes, so a full backup takes 10 tapes.
We would prefer to perform daily incremental backups, and not full backups.
However we do not know how to backup the appleshare security file(s)
because we cannot locate it (them) on the disk.
For this reason we are forced into full disk backups (mirror image)
because only this way we can make sure that these security files are
included.

      Please, if you know, write us how to solve our problem.

                                           Many thanks,
                                         Alon Sharafi
                                         vsalon@weizmann

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 89 09:58 EDT
From: <JRCLARK%UTKVX1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: AutoOpening AppleShare Volume

Is it possible (more importantly--is there an easy way) to force
an AppleShare volume to be automatically opened on startup. We're
interested in doing this for our student network.

Jim Clark
UT Martin

(By opening, I mean that the window for the server icon be opened so that
any applications at the root level are visible and (very) easily found)

[Moderator's Note: Quickkeys 1.2 & QuickTimer can probably do this. --Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 89 10:22:40 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: BitMap (Screen) Font Names -> Downloadable Font Names

>[is the PostScript font name] derived from the name of the font?

Yes.  For example...

Screen Font Name             Downloadable (PostScript) Name
----------------             ------------------------------
ModernPrintBold              ModerPriBol
Cuneifont                    Cunei
ClassicaHeavy                ClassHea
BillTheCat                   BillTheCat
HobbesTheTiger               HobbeTheTig
Myincrediblefont             Myinc
MyincredibleFont             MyincFon

Date: Tue, 8 Aug 89 13:59:07 PDT
From: hayp04@csa4.lbl.gov
Subject: Boomerang problem

Lynman Green asked the problem "Disinfectant claims Boomerang has a
bad resource".  I think that the resource fork of Boomerang is corrupted
by some reason.  Try to open Boomerang in Control Panel.  Boomerang will
not show up.  Try a new copy, and run Disinfectant to check Boomerang.
If the problem still shows up, please let me know.

Hiro Yamamoto / (415)486-6407

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Aug 89 20:51:18 PDT
From: USERQKMP@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: BootIcon

BootIcon, of course, is the INIT I mentioned last week that replaces the icon
of the startup disk with an unclothed female whose chest measurements vary
directly and in real time with the amount of free space on said disk.  The
set of icons is easily editable with ResEdit for those whom have supervisors/
wives without a sense of humour.

The authors wish me to attach the caveat that although distribution is
unrestricted, BootIcon is *not* released into the public domain and thus
nobody is allowed to distribute it for profit.  Specifically not by the
people who take out full page ads in MacWorld selling disks of public domain
software.  There's a doc file stuffed in with it that says as much.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/booticon.hqx; 8K]

[Truly one of the more tasteless items in the archive... please address all
 flames to the submitter. ;)]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 89 11:26 EST
From: <DANNY%BCVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Lassaiz les bon temps rouler!)
Subject: color SE/30 card

direct you to today's issue of MacWeek:
a company called Micron has introduced a $595 card for the SE/30 with a
resolution of 640x480, for Apple's 13" color monitor.  They also have a
1,024x768 card for larger screens for $995.

Good luck,

Dan Henderson,
Boston College

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Aug 89 22:10:45 EDT
From: Jean Brunet <R31631%UQAM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Fortran

Would anyone know of 'GMH - FORTRAN Toolbox Utilities'? Is it a good addition
to MacFortran? How can I reach by mail GMH Engineering. Thanks for any comment
related to this subject.

******************************************                     **
* JEAN BRUNET                            *    QQQ QQQ QQQ   --------
* DEPT. DES COMMUNICATIONS               *   QQQ QQQ QQQ    NETNORTH
* UNIVERSITE DU QUEBEC A MONTREAL (UQAM) *  QQQ QQQ QQQ      BITNET
* C.P. 8888, SUCC. 'A', MONTREAL, QC.    *         QQQ   --------------
* CANADA, H3C 3P8                        *        QQQ  R31631@UQAM.BITNET
* TEL: (514) 282-4897                    *       QQQ   ------------------
******************************************             ******************

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 9 Aug 1989 08:43:32 EST
From: m17526@mwvm.mitre.org (Cassandra Smith)
Subject: Hypertext Tools for Mac

Does anyone know of any hypertext systems for the Mac (probably networked)?
I know of Hypercard, Design, and Guide. I would appreciate names, addresses,
and telephone numbers of such vendors or sources of detailed information.
Thanks.

Cassandra Smith
*
*        Cassandra

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 89 22:31 EDT
From: <BMEDIRAT%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Inside Mac DA/MacMan

I started out with the Inside Mac DA and loved it.  Well, that is until I
started really heavily using it (I don't have Inside Mac itself) at which
point I realized that it didn't really tell me enough about the functions.
I looked around in the archives and sure enough found MacMan, but I was
unhappy with the interface of the DA (and the problems it had: apparently it
causes LightSpeed Pascal to crash.)  So I compromised.  Since the two DA's
are so similar, I simply use the Inside Mac DA with MacMan's manual document.
Simply download Inside Mac DA & MacMan, toss the Inside Mac manual and the
MacMan DA (or save them somewhere, like I do) and combine the packages.
Although they are not completely compatible, I find the loss of a couple of
entries (like 'LightSpeed Facilities', etc.) is quite worth the expanded
entries I get with the MacMan manual.

Bharat Mediratta
BMEDIRATTA@COLGATEU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 89 10:34:33 EDT
From: barnett@unclejack.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett)
Subject: Is there a shortage of the 8-Bit Color Video Board?

In <Info-Mac Digest V7 #136> ROHAN%ASTRO.SPAN@star.stanford.edu writes:
>What gives?... A month and a half ago I ordered a MacIIcx direct from
>Apple's regional sales office here in Houston.

[still no 8 bit video card]

Yes. There is a new Video card that replaces the current product.
The new card is surface mount technology, and rumor says it will
better support (i.e. be faster when used with ) some future Apple product.

Perhaps this means Font Outlines/System 7.0, or a graphics accelerator?
I don't know.

I, too, am waiting for My IIcx. :-(

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crdgw1.ge.com>   <barnett@crdgw1.UUCP>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 89 10:17:26 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Organizational Charts

>I have a client who is interested in software for creating
>organizational charts.  I don't think that it needs to be
>fancy.  I know that I've seen/heard of such a package for
>the Mac, but I cannot remember what it is.  If anyone has
>any suggestions, I appreciate it.

A program that is very good for drawing org charts is called
"DesignerDraw" and it is available in the Sumex archives.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 89 07:18:44 PDT
From: TOLLIVER%ATF.MFENET@ccc.mfecc.llnl.gov
Subject: resizing windows to see disk icons

>   1) Using Multifinder, some applications take up too much of the desktop
>   to be able to see the disk icons when switching back to the Finder.
>   Usually I can use the size box or move the window to get at the icons.
>   I have a problem with VersaTerm however; when I am transferring files,
>   the window controls (dragging and resizing) are inoperative, so you
>   can't open any new folders until the transfer is complete unless you
>   want to abort the transfer.  I have been trying to remember to resize
>   the window before starting the transfer, but it would be nice to be
>   able to access the files in case I forget!  Is there any other way to
>   do this?

Under Versaterm (PRO version anyway, don't know about just Versaterm), there
is a "MultiFinder AutoZoom" feature in the Extras... menu item. When checked,
switching to another MultiFinder partition or beginning a file transfer
automatically "zooms" the VT100 emulation window to its "other" size.
Typically, this "other" size will be small. Adjust it by clicking on the
zoom box and then adjust using the grow box. This is a really neat feature
of Versaterm-PRO that other applications should follow. It makes almost all
of your desktop available again when switched out of Versaterm. One problem,
the graphics window doesn't shrink. Just the VT100 window (maybe the DG200
window too, but who uses that?). You should check the "Hide Graphics" menu
item under the Emulation menu to keep the graphics window from showing all the
time.

Under System 7.0, all this may be unnecessary. There is supposed to be
a window Layer Manager that all applications will get for free (i.e., no
reprogramming necessary) that will support Hide and Hide Others items under
the Apple menu--now knowns as Set Aside and Set Aside Others in MultiFinder
6.1b7 (available with SADE). I don't know if there will be an "auto" hide
feature that will automatically hide an application's layer when switched
out--but it sure would be nice (are you listening Apple?).

Johnny Tolliver (tolliver%atf.mfenet@nmfecc.llnl.gov)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 89 10:54:46 EDT
From: sal@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Cyberpunk in Training)
Subject: Reviews of Milo(tm) and Endnote(tm)

A while ago I posted for user feedback on milo and endote software.
Here are the two responses received.

Marcos Salganicoff
Univ. of Pennsylvania
Dept. of CIS

Endnote(tm):

I have found Endnote to be an excellent program - it's very flexible and does
just about everything I want for writing articles and my thesis.  The people
at Niles have been very pleasent to deal with.  The only problem I have had
with the program is that it can't deal with a reference inside a footnote in
Word (it just ignores them).  They know about the problem and say it will
be fixed.

David Rudolph	rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois

Milo(tm):

  The new version of Milo works much better than the old buggy version. Milo
is great for doing algebraic manipulations, but is not very good at doing
Mathematica-class problems. Milo is also good at graphing really obnoxious
formulas, something lame Caltech professors often like to make students do.

  The best description is that of a math processor, one that knows the rules
for manipulating mathematics the way a word processor manipulates words, but
doesn't know any more math then the word processor knows english, coupled with
a smart replace feature designed for math (This can be used to do integrals,
since Milo only knows a few internally, and provides most of the rest as macros)

  Another use of milo is as an equation generator, for making equations to put
in documents. This is not as effective, however, as Milo uses these really
ugly parentheses.

Pierce Wetter
Caltech

Disclaimer: I am mentioned in the Milo manual, so I have some non-monetary
relationship to the program.

 -- End

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 89 09:17:22 EDT
From: Andrew Gilmartin <ANDREW%BROWNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: THINK C 4.0 and classes

Since getting THINK C 4.0 at MacWorld I have been learning the class
structure by implementing the new text edit toolbox routines as the class
CEditStyleText : CPanorama. (I chose CPanorama rather than CEditText
because conflicts arise otherwise. The protocol is however the union of
CStaticText and CEditText.)

One of the goals of object-oriented programming is sharing of code among
similar functionality. Extending this principle to the sharing of code
among programmers I will be submitting much of my work to the network.
Consequently I am very interested in finding out what other classes are
being worked on. If you are implementing a class and are willing to submit
it to the network (either as public domain or under similar terms to the
Free Software Foundation's licence) please send me email and I will
summarize. I hope that this small effort will help prevent undo
duplication.

To start the ball rolling...

Author:      Andrew Gilmartin

Address:     Computing & Information Services
             Brown University
             Box 1885
             Providence, Rhode Island 02912
             andrew@brownvm.brown.edu (internet)
             andrew@brownvm (bitnet)

Class:       CEditStyleText

Superclass:  CPanorama

             CeditStyleText will allow the user to enter similarly
             formatted paragraphs of styled text. Styled text is text with
             varying font, size, face, and color information on a
             character by character bases.
Struct:

struct CEditStyleText : CPanorama
,
    /* Instance variables */

    TEHandle macTE;

    /* Methods */

    void    IEditStyleText( CView *anEnclosure, CBureaucrat
                  *aSupervisor,
                  short aWidth, short aHeight,
                  short aHEncl, short aVEncl,
                  SizingOption aHSizing, SizingOption aVSizing,
                  short aLineWidth );
    void    Dispose( void );

    void    DoCommand( long theCommand );
    void    UpdateMenus( void );

    void    DoClick( Point hitPt, short modifierKeys, long when );
    void    DoKeyDown( char theChar, Byte keyCode, EventRecord *macEvent );
    void    DoAutoKey( char theChar, Byte keyCode, EventRecord *macEvent );

    void    Activate( void );
    void    Deactivate( void );

    void    AboutToPrint( short * firstPage, short * lastPage );
    void    PrintPage( short pageNum, short pageWidth, short pageHeight );
    void    DonePrinting( void );

    void    Draw( Rect *area );
    void    Scroll( short hDelta, short vDelta, Boolean redraw );
    void    ScrollToSelection( void );

    void    SetFontNumber( short aFontNumber );
    void    SetFontName( Str255 aFontName );
    void    SetFontStyle( short aStyle );
    void    SetFontSize( short aSize );
    void    SetTextMode( short aMode );
    void    SetAlignment( short anAlignment );
    void    SetLineSpacing( long aSpacingCmd );

    void    AdjustBounds( void );
    void    ResizeFrame( Rect *delta );

    void    Dawdle( long *maxSleep );

    void    AdjustCursor( Point where, RgnHandle mouseRgn );

-; /* CEditStyleText */

Estimated completion date: September '89.

-- Andrew Gilmartin

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 89 07:23:56 CDT
From: shulman@sdrvx1.sinet.slb.com (Jeffrey Shulman)
Subject: Usenet/INFO-MAC Gateway

Hi, remember me?  I use to do the Usenet/Delphi Mac Digests and then stopped
due to lack of time.  I also noted that I found a replacement but it has never
materialized.  I have since learned that the replacement lost total net
access and never bothered to contact me!!!  So, if anyone else wants to do it
be my guest.  I have some Mac software that will take messages from both Usenet
and Delphi and make them into a "digest".  FYI, I have no more dealings with
Delphi thus can not say if you could get free access or not (though I suppose
it could be arranged) for doing the digests.

I should warn you that it took me *at least* one hour per day to collect
the digest messages (keeping a high signal to noise ratio) and then 4-5 hours
on the weekend to "digest" them and post them to the various places.  Unless
you are willing to commit that amount of free time I suggest you don't
volunteer.

If you want to volunteer post a note on INFO-MAC saying who you are and that
you are doing it.  If more than one person volunteers perhaps you can split
the work.  DO NOT contact me since I am out of the loop.  Once a person/group
is selected I will however give you/them my digesting software.

Jeff

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 89 10:50:11 EDT
From: williams@cbl.umd.edu (Bill Williams)
Subject: VERS Resource query

Where can find a description of the format of the VERS resource, and/or a
template for RESEDIT in that format?

Please reply directly; I don't get this digest.

		Williams@CBL.UMD.EDU
		-Bill Williams

------------------------------

Date: 15 Aug 89 10:45:00 EDT
From: "GNV::CRL" <crl%gnv.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu>
Subject: X-Windows for Mac OS

Does anyone out there know of a package (libraries, etc.) that would
allow us to develop X-windows software under the Mac OS (prefereably
under Think C or MPW 2.0.2)? Sources and prices would be greatly
appreciated. I will summarize responses (if plentiful) to the net.

Thanks much,
Craig Lee
Dept. of Statistics
University of Florida