Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (08/18/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 17 Aug 89       Volume 7 : Issue 144

Today's Topics:
                     Anonymous FTP and SIT files
                               BootIcon
                CoCoA - Commutative Algebra Mac System
                        Ethernet Boards -- SE
                        FireHydraulics.sit.hqx
              Flex 2.1 for MPW, tool and documentation.
              Help needed for partition of a hard disk.
                    HyperCard stack for references
                      Inexpensive SE Color Card
         Integrating HyperCard and interactive video systems.
              Inter*Poll running on an SE/30 or Mac IICX
                        John Sculley's Address
             LockDisk: "hardware lock" your system volume
                     Multifinder and desktop room
                 Public Domain Midi Player for Casio
                  QA about QuickBasic on the Mac...
                   Replacement for your trash can.
                   Searching Archives - a solution.
                       SIMM pricing information
                             Spirals 1.0
                          Talking Moose CDEV

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 89 9:22:46 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Anonymous FTP and SIT files

>I have been having a problem with files that I ftp'ed from another site.
>The files are stored in StuffIt! format.  The problem is that I do not have
>direct internet access and so must use FTP on the IBM mainframes here, then
>Kermit the files over to the Mac.  This roundabout approach works fine for
>files that have been BinHex'ed, but not for these SIT! files.  Does anyone
>know the proper procedure for downloading binary files (I tried telling FTP
>the files were binary, but that only got them as far as the IBM system)?
>If so, could you please explain it to a mere mortal?
>TIA,
>
>                             < Bob : S090726@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU : Funchess >

Bob,
  When you use Kermit, make sure that it is in binary mode, as well. In
UN*X, that is 'kermit -is filename'. How to do it on the IBM, I don't know.
You've told FTP that the files are binaries, but you have to tell Kermit,
as well. That _could_ solve your problem.

tom c

ARPA: tcora@pica.army.mil     BITNET: Tcora@DACTH01.BITNET
UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!tcora

------------------------------

Date: 17 Aug 89 15:21:57 GMT
From: intercon!amanda@uunet.uu.net (Amanda Walker)
Subject: BootIcon

In article <8908170802.AA10647@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>,
USERQKMP@cc.sfu.ca writes:
> The set of icons is easily editable with ResEdit for those whom have
> supervisors/wives without a sense of humour.

I think this calls for an Equal Opportunity init...  Shall we call it, say,
BeefIcon...?

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 89 14:18:31 ITA
From: COCOA%IGECUNIV.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: CoCoA - Commutative Algebra Mac System

I HAVE READ THE LIST OF MATHEMATICAL MAC SOFTWARE, AND I HAVE
A SMALL ADDITION TO MAKE.
WE HAVE VERY RECENTLY DEVELOPED A SMALL SPECIAL-PURPOSE SYSTEM
FOR COMMUTATIVE ALGEBRA; IT IS CALLED
   COCOA
AND HAS BEEN DESIGNED FOR OFFERING GREAT EASE OF USE AND FLEXIBILITY
TO THE MATHEMATICIAN WITH LITTLE OR NO KNOWLEDGE OF
COMPUTERS.
SO IT IS 'MACINTOSH STYLE' WITH WINDOWS, MENUS, DIALOGS ETC; IT
HANDLES POLYNOMIALS, IDEALS, MATRICES, MODULES AND PERFORMS
STANDARD OPERATIONS BETWEEN THEM AS WELL AS MORE COMPLES (LIKE
IDEAL INTERSECTION, GROBNER BASES, VARIABLES ELIMINATION,
SYZYGYES, HILBERT FUNCTION, POINCARE SERIES ETC.). IT IS FREE,
AND I HAVE TRIED TO POST IT TO INFO-MAC WITH NO SUCCESS
IN BINHEXED FORM. THOSE WHO WANT IT CAN SIMPLY SEND A BLANK
DISKETTE TO THE ADDRESS BELOW; IF ANYBODY HAVING IT IS ABLE DO
PUT IT INTO SOME PUBLIC-DOMAIN ARCHIVE, THE BETTER.
IF THOSE WHO USE IT LET US KNOW WHETHER THEY LIKE IT, WE WILL
BE HAPPY (THIS IS OUR ONLY FEE).
THE SYSTYEM RUNS ONY ANY MAC (ALSO 512K), IT IS MULTIFINDER
FRIENDLY AND COMES ON A 800K DISK WITH A WORD 3 USER'S MANUAL.
   ALESSANDRO GIOVINI & GIANFRANCO NIESI
   DEPT. OF MATHEMATICS, UNIVERSITY OF GENOVA,
   V. L. B. ALBERTI 4, 16132, GENOVA, ITALY
   COCOA@IGECUNIV.BITNET
   ASTES@IGECUNIV.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 89 17:00:10 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Ethernet Boards -- SE

We are pursuing putting our Mac SE's on an Ethernet (primarily to use
telnet and ftp to the Internet).  In the absence of any information
about speeds, compatibility, etc. for different boards, we simply
sent out a request for bids as follows:

Ethernet adaptor for Macintosh SE:
Required--
 a.  must use processor direct slot
 b.  must operate with apple ethertalk and ncsa telnet 2.1
 c.  must accept thin ethernet cable (on-board transceiver)

We got back responses from kinetics, 3Com, and Dove.  Dove was far and away
the least expensive.  The boards have just arrived today, so we'll see how
they do.

I would recommend to anyone that they check prices carefully with vendors
before buying.

- -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - --
Joshua Yeidel                         YEIDEL@WSUVM1.BITNET
ACADEMIC COMPUTING SERVICES           YEIDEL@WSUVM1.WSU.EDU
Washington State University           (509) 335-0441
Pullman, WA 99164-1232
DISCLAIMER: I'm speaking solely for myself here, not Washington State U.
-- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- -

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Aug 89 20:41:05 PDT
From: wsjones@ucdavis.edu (Dr. Jones)
Subject: FireHydraulics.sit.hqx

Greetings,
		This is a short, stuffed, binhexed archive of two hypercard
stax that teach fire service hydraulics.  Please post as you see fit.

				Thank you,
					Dave Henderson

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/fire-hydraulics.hqx; 95K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Aug 89 01:41:38 -0400
From: earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton)
Subject: Flex 2.1 for MPW, tool and documentation.

     This is flex 2.1, a beta release, ported to run under Macintosh
Programmer's Workshop.  This package contains the tool and all the
documentation files that came with the sources.  The Changes file,
included, says what's new, and also "flex will replace lex in
subsequent BSD releases."  Hmm.

     A file named MACINTOSH says what I did to make flex work on the
Macintosh.  The tool is compiled with Aztec C 3.6c.  Some work might
be necessary to make it compile under the MPW C compiler, if that's
what you want to do.

     Note that flex is now covered by a modified version of the BSD
copyright, included, which you should read if you intend to distribute
it further.

Earle R. Horton

[Archived as /info-mac/lang/mpw-flex-21.hqx; 120K
             /info-mac/source/c/mpw-flex-21.hqx; 220K]

------------------------------

Date: 16 Aug 89 16:30:48 GMT
From: pang%phri@uunet.uu.net (Long Pang)
Subject: Help needed for partition of a hard disk.

	Hello friends,

I have a Seagate 80 Mb, 28 ms hard disk. I want to make two partitions
on this HD, each of which can start up the computer with their own
System (they are different) seperately. In other words, before I turn
off computer, I can choose to start up computer with either partition
No. 1 or partition No. 2 next time.

If any body knows any software can do this on Seagate HD, please let me
know. Thank you for your help.

Long Pang.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 7 Aug 89 08:52:08-PST
From: Craig Rasmussen <CER@star.stanford.edu>
Subject: HyperCard stack for references

I have created a HyperCard stack which may be useful for those doing
scholarly research.  I have long been frustrated in trying to keep track
of the papers I have read, whats in them, and where I put them.  This
stack allows you to keep track of three things: bibliographic information,
notes (an abstract maybe), and keywords of the subject matter.  The stack
will output an ascii file for a reference section in any format (I think,
but maybe don't guarantee).  For instance, it can automatically be
coerced to include TeX commands so that little or no post processing is
required.

The binhex files actually contain 4 stacks.  Open the stack entitled
"Reference Frame" first, as this contains introductory information.
For additional information, there is a help mode which provides a
description of each button in the stacks.

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/reference-frame.hqx; 190K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 89 16:56:42 edt
From: abboud%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu (Hisham)
Subject: Inexpensive SE Color Card

I noticed several complaints on the net lately about expensive SE color
cards (in the four digits range).  Well, I just received the August 15
issue of MacWeek, and it mentions a $595 card, 480x640 "up to 256 colors."
The address of the manufacturer is:

	Micron Technology
	2805 E. Columbia Road
	Boise, Idaho 83706

	(208) 386-3800

According to the same MacWeek article, Micron will also be coming out with
a 19-inch SE color card for $995.  The same products are available for the
Mac II at the same price.

					Hisham.

Hisham A. Abboud
Computer Center/Academic Services
The Catholic University of America
Washington, D.C. 20064

Bitnet:	   ABBOUD@CUA                           |
Internet:  ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@NETCON.CUA.EDU    |
    or     ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@192.31.193.2      |

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 89 15:27:31 +0200
From: Fine refine <fine@franz.er.sintef.no>
Subject: Integrating HyperCard and interactive video systems.

As a preinvestigation on the matter I would like to ask if anybody knows
something about integrating HyperCard (SuperCard or whatever) with interactive
video systems? The scenario would be something like having the interaction
panel to the videodisk in HyperCard, and displaying (overlaying) the video
disk picture on the same monitor as HyperCard uses. Any information will be
appreciated.

Arne Venstad
ELAB-RUNIT, Trondheim - Norway.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 89 15:19:47 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Inter*Poll running on an SE/30 or Mac IICX

>I saw your second question in Info-Mac about Inter*Poll problems with 68030
>machines.  I was wondering if you would pass along the advice you received
>following both of your questions to Info-Mac Digest.  We are getting
>questions here at MIT from users running into the same problems and our Apple
>rep. hasn't been much help.  Thanks in advance!
>
>Caia Grisar
>MIT Consulting Services

OK. This is what I received from Randy Carr, who wrote (helped write?)
Inter*Poll. Hope it helps...

tom c

=====Let's get that 12 month warranty going, Apple!!!=====
ARPA: tcora@pica.army.mil    BITNET: Tcora@DACTH01.BITNET
UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!tcora

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 89 10:47:41 PDT
To: tcora@PICA.ARMY.MIL
Subject: Re: Inter*Poll (again!)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.appletalk

In article <8907051438.aa29202@AC4.PICA.ARMY.MIL> you write:
>OK, so I got good help w/ my question about SE/30's not showing up properly
>on Inter*Poll. Now another question. I'm running Inter*Poll _from_ an SE/30.
>When I launch the app, I get a dialog box telling me:
>
>"No workstation name
>registered... Be sure
>to install Responder INIT
>in System Folder."
>
>I click OK, and life goes on. The problem is that I have Responder
>installed in the system folder. And when I do a device lookup, I most
>certainly do exist (and show up as an SE/30)! Any suggestions?
>
>tom c

tom, the reason that it does this is the same problem that it had w/ Responder
not naming the SE/30 correctly on the net.  I had Inter*Poll find itself by
looking up itself on the net.  If it doesn't find a name that has the same node
number as the workstation AND has the workstation type (i.e. Macintosh II) then
it puts up that stupid alert saying that Responder not installed.  For now,
just ignore that message as it is entirely precautionary in nature.  In the days
before system 6.0, I was really trying to get people to install Responder, so
I attempted to find every way to make sure that every node on the net had
Responder in it.  This is the reason for the Unnamed search and that stupid
alert message.

If you were using Responder 1.0.1 & Inter*Poll 1.0.1 then you probably wouldn't
have seen this.  On the otherhand, Mac SE/30's wouldn't have shown as SE/30's
anyway.

There is a newer version of Responder (1.1) that is faster, doesn't put up that
alert "Registering ..." at startup time, but won't fix that alert problem in
Inter*Poll.  We'll do that later...

The real problem is that everytime that a 'new' machine comes out, Inter*Poll
needed to be revised to support the new machine's name (unknown until right
before release).

Good Luck!

Randy Carr                                          Network Systems Development
Domain: carr@apple.com                                     Apple Computer, Inc.
UUCP:   {nsc,dual,sun,voder}!apple!carr             20525 Mariani Ave. M/S 27-O
AppleLink: CARR2                                            Cupertino, CA 95014

Opinions & Responses are my own and do NOT represent my employer...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 89 14:12 EST
From: <ACS_RGB%JMUVAX1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: John Sculley's Address

Recently, Greeny announced that we should send complaints about the Mac
warranty to Scully@Applelink.apple.com.  Is it significant that John Sculley
spells his name with an 'e'?  Is his Applelink address different from his
last name?  Is this a different person?  If it is the same person, is his
Applelink address different from his last name as a clever ruse, or does he
really not know how to spell his name?  Or is Greeny's information inaccurate?
Or is Applelink smart enough to send it to the right person even if we get the
address wrong?  Is anyone else confused?

Bob Brookshire
Harrisonburg, Virginia
disclaimer: I ask a lot of questions for someone from Virginia.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 89 09:59:48 PDT
From: Brian Bechtel <blob@apple.com>
Subject: LockDisk: "hardware lock" your system volume

LockDisk is a cdev that changes your system disk (the one from which
you boot your Macintosh) to read-only status and back to read-write.
Your disk maintains this status even if rebooted.  This can be handy in
many ways:

*       CD-ROM discs are read-only.  You can test such things as
		Hypercard stacks to make sure that they run on
		read-only media.

*       You can't get a virus infection on a read-only disk.

*       Kids can't (logically) destroy your hard disk.  No promises on
		physical efforts...

*       Trade shows.

LockDisk cheats and goes behind the Finder's back.  Use it with a
certain sense of caution.  Poorly written programs get very upset if
they are run on a read-only disk.   They can crash.

This ISN'T Apple-sponsored software; I wrote it on my own time.  Don't
blame them for my bugs.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My software, not Apple's"

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/lockdisk.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 89 15:14:10 -0400
From: mjkobb@athena.mit.edu
Subject: Multifinder and desktop room

If anyone who has access cares, there's been an ongoing discussion in the
Internet news group comp.sys.mac.  The keywords to search for are Multifinder
and System 7.0.   There were all sorts of suggestions, including:

1)	Use OnCue for application switching, launching, etc.
2)	Use DiskTop for disk work
3)	Use Tablecloth (which apparently brings the disk icons up with the
Finder; I haven't tried this one)

I'm not real sure what the problem with VersaTerm is, since I don't use it,
so I don't know if any of these will help.

I use OnCue, and I love it.  I haven't been willing to shell out for DiskTop,
and I haven't even seen Tablecloth.  The opinions are my own, and I'm not
affiliated with any of these people....

--Mike

P.S.	Doesn't anyone think it's kind of sad that we have to put all these
@$#%@$#%@ disclaimers in everything?

------------------------------

Date: 17 Aug 89 12:42:41 GMT
From: bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Bob DeBula)
Subject: Public Domain Midi Player for Casio

I recently acquired a Casio MT-240 with Midi interface and an Altech
Interface for my Mac-II.  I have been able to test input via one of the
PD programs that came with the interface, but not output.  I would like
a PD player which outputs to the Midi device in some (fairly) common
format (i.e. I can find some existing PD songs to play on the Casio).
Is there such a beast? If there isn't could someone point me at a decent
commercial product?  Thanks for your help.
-=-
Bob DeBula                    | Internet:   bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
The Ohio State University     | Disclaimer: These are my views, not the U's

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 89 14:39:59 CDT
From: BWA6067@venus.tamu.edu
Subject: QA about QuickBasic on the Mac...

>From: BWA6067      Date:  9-AUG-1989 14:33:41

I need some MacExpertise...and quickly!

I have a program I'm writing in QuickBasic in which I need to solve a 288x288
system of equations.  I'm running on a Mac SE with a Prodigy board (total RAM
is about 4Mb).

When I run the program, I get an "Out of memory" error.  I only have one
inordinately large array, a single-precision array (4 bytes x 288 x 288 or
332 Kbytes).

By futzing with the RAM Cache on the Control Panel and the memory allocation for
the QuickBasic application (under Get Info), I eliminated the error when run-
ning in the QuickBasic environment.  But it runs way too slowly there, and so
I need to compile it.  Unfortunately, the error reappears when I run the com-
piled version.  I MUST find a way to do this...do any of you TAMU MacGurus
know of a way to do this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tnerb the MacIgnoramus

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 89 09:45:38 edt
From: Rocky_Olive@dgc.mceo.dg.com
Subject: Replacement for your trash can.

CEO file contents:
   Tired of your same old trash can?  I was too!  I tried an ibm pc icon
but I got tired of that, also.  So I decided to create my own.  It's the
NEW IMPROVED TrashBox!  This is a ResEdit document with 2 ICN# resources that
you copy and paste into your Finder.  The empty trash can is a cardboard
box (much like the one I keep near my Mac at home), and the full trash can
icon shows some files lying in the box.  This is free, so if you're kind of
tired of YOUR trash can, help yourself!

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/trash-can-replacement-2.hqx; 3K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 89 11:32 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen - Micro Specialist)
Subject: Searching Archives - a solution.

>Date: Fri, 11 Aug 89 08:02:52 CDT
>From: CB Lih <CL06076%UAFSYSB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
>Subject: GIF
>
>Hello,
>  Also, is there a way to search the archived Info-Mac Digests?
>Something like the LDBASE EXEC would be very nice.
>    Thank you,
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>=-->   CB Lih   <--=
>Macintosh Support / Handicap Computer Support
>BITNET: CL06076@UAFSYSB    AppleLink: U0669    Phone: 501-575-2905
>US Mail: ADSB 220, University of Arkansas
>         155 Razorback Road, Fayetteville, AR 72701, USA
>
>[Moderator's Note:
>I just do "ls */*key*" under FTP.
>Of course this assumes I know part of the filename...
> --Jon]

OR
You could use the MacArchives Stack which is in the Archives.  It is
automatically updated to include additions to the Archives as they are
announced in the Digest by the InfoMac Digest Stack, also in the Archives.

Peter Jorgensen
Microcomputer specialist
Colgate University - Hamilton, NY 13346
AppleLink - U0523
BITNET - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU
tel - 315-824-1000 ext 742

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 89 15:31:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: "William M. Bumgarner" <wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: SIMM pricing information

These were taken from the back of MacWeek... Chip Merchant advertised at $129,
but has since dropped their price to $119.

The Chip Merchant
1 meg SIMMs, 100NS, low profile, 5 year guarantee: $99 (Video upgrade
for $69)
800-426-6375 or 619-268-4774
"Prices subject to drop without notice"

South Coast Electronics
1 meg SIMMS, 80ns low profile, lifetime Warranty, same day shipping: $109 (maybe)
800-289-8801 or 213 489 7824
FAX:  213-489-0266

Digi-Graphics
1 meg SIMMS, 100ns DIP, 1 yr gurantee:  $119.
801-544-2009

Take your pick-- the second one sounds like the best deal to me.  South coast electronics is by far the most friendly company with a good deal-- it is worth the extra few $ to deal with them (ask about discounts).

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Aug 89 10:54:01 -0800
From: duggie@jessica.stanford.edu
Subject: Spirals 1.0

Spirals 1.0 implements the cellular automatons described in the
Computer Recreations column of the August 1989 issue of Scientific
American.  Spirals requires color quickdraw and 256 colors.

You can create up to 15 windows, each with its own matrix and colors.
The size of the matrix, the number of colors, and the colors
themselves can all be changed.  Spirals will run in the background
under multifinder.

Best of all, Spirals is freeware.  Enjoy.

Doug Felt

[Archived as /info-mac/app/spirals.hqx; 54K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Aug 89 12:00:09 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Talking Moose CDEV

The Talking Moose is now a CDEV. Downloaded from the Info-Center BBS,
(914) 565-6696. Shareware $20. Requires Macintalk (not included).

tom c

ARPA: tcora@pica.army.mil     BITNET: Tcora@DACTH01.BITNET
UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!tcora

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/talking-moose.hqx; 88K]

End of Info-Mac Digest