Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (08/22/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 21 Aug 89       Volume 7 : Issue 146

Today's Topics:
                     081189 Word4.0 bugs.sit.hqx
                             BBS programs
                       Boomerang 2.0B7 anomaly
                       GlueViewer 1.05.sit.hqx
         Griffeath's Cyclic Automata (similar to color life)
             Hanging a serial printer off a IIx w/MacIRMA
              Help needed for partition of a hard disk.
                          ICON Grabber XCMD
       Macintosh analog and logic board modification questions
                         MACINTOSH EMULATION
                    NCSA Telnet 2.1e (and others)
                             Response to:
                         Script Manager Stack
         Telecommunications software running in the bakground
                            Temperament 2
                    THINK C 4.0, first impressions

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 89 00:55:48 EDT
From: Michael Kazlow <KAZLOWF%PACEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: 081189 Word4.0 bugs.sit.hqx

A list of bugs for Microsoft Word version 4.0 as compiled by
David Sachs.  Two copies are contained in the stuffed and binhexed
file attached.  One requires Microsoft Word 4.0 the other requires
a version of the Glue or SuperGlue Viewer Application and/or DA.

[Archived as /info-mac/report/msword-40-bugs.hqx; 64K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 Aug 89 16:30 EDT
From: <SZAWASKY%WHEATNMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: BBS programs

Hello,

        I was hoping I could find some decent BBS programs.  I have Hyper BBS, a
nd I am interested in getting a more powerful, and faster program so that I can
have my own decent BBS.

                                                        Thank you in advance,

                                                        B. Spencer Zawasky
                                                        Spencer the Not
                                                    Bitnet%"SZawasky@WheatnMA"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 89 09:50:05 EDT
From: Peter Furmonavicius <PETER%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Boomerang 2.0B7 anomaly

Hello.  I recently installed Boomerang 2.0B7.  However when I use a program
such as UnStuffit where a file name is supplied (as happens when one is
de-hexing a file), only the first three characters of the file appear in the
dialog box window.  When I de-install Boomerang and run the whole thing again,
the entire file name shows up.  I'm running System 6.0.3 on a Macintosh IIcx.
Any ideas?
                                   Peter

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 89 00:43:02 EDT
From: Michael Kazlow <KAZLOWF%PACEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: GlueViewer 1.05.sit.hqx

A version of the Glue Viewer program version 1.05.  Distributed by
Solutions International.  It will read and print Glue Format Files.
Glue Format Files contain Disk Images of Files printed to disk in
Imagewriter format.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/glue-viewer-105.hqx; 52K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 89 04:46:33 PDT
From: oster%SOE.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster)
Subject: Griffeath's Cyclic Automata (similar to color life)

### Introduction. ###

Here is a nifty implementation of the cyclic cellular
automaton  described in the August 1989 Scientic American.
The purpose of this program is to make pretty color pictures.

### About Griffeath's Cyclic Space ###

Like Conway's familiar game of Life, Griffeath is a two
dimensional space in which objects are born, eat, grow,
and are eaten.

Unlike Life, Griffeath's space uses lots of pretty colors,
so this program requires color quickdraw. It should even be
interesting on an SE/30, but to get the full benefit of the
program you should have a monitor with at least 16 colors.

Griffeath spaces go through at least three distinct states:

o debris: a random pepper & salt appearance

o droplets: small lozenge shaped areas of solid colors that
grow and consume each other.

o The droplets may grow until they consume the whole window,
or spirals may appear. The stage of baby spirals is called
the "defect" stage. Since spirals are born at random, sometimes
they never happen.

o demons: color spirals take over the whole window.

Colors grow by looking at their left, right, up, & down
neighbors. If the color number there is one less than
theirs, they eat their neighbor:

time t:      time t+1
  +-+          +-+
  |6|          |7|
+-+-+-+      +-+-+-+
|5|7|3|  =>  |5|7|3|
+-+=+-+      +-+=+-+
  |6|          |7|
  +-+          +-+

### About Griffeath ###

This program is Copyright (c) 1989 by David Phillip Oster.
You may make as many copies as you want, and you may give
copies away, but you may not remove my copyright message,
nor modify the help text. You do not need to pay me anything.

o You can edit the color palette by clicking on the colors at
the right of the window.

o If you completely mess up the colors, choose "restore
factory colors" from the Edit menu, and my original colors
will be used for the next window you make.

o Wrap Edges connects the top edge to the bottom edge, and
the left edge to the right edge. You can turn it on and off
at any time.

o You can set the number of states from the state menu.
Changing the number of states causes the window to
re-initialize.

o Changing the size of a window causes the window to
re-initialize.

I appreciate all communication.If you wish to send me kudos,
complaints, comments, or coinage, you can reach me at:

David Phillip Oster
Mosaic Codes
Suite 2036
2140 Shattuck Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94704

on M.C.I, I am "DOSTER".
on Macnet, I am "oster"
on internet, I have a temporary account as:
oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu

on uucp, I have a permanent account as:
{sun,ucbvax}!well!oster

### For More Information ###
David Griffeath is at the University of Wisconsin at Madison

His book is:
"Cyclic Cellular Automata in Two Dimensions."
Robert Fisch, Janko Gravner and David Griffeath
Ted. E. Harris Festschrift. Birkhauser, in press.

The best source at the moment is:
Computer Recreations
Scientific American, August 1989
p. 102-105

"A Cellular Universe of Debris, Droplets, Defects and Demons"

by A. K. Dewdney
--- David Phillip Oster      7 line signature follows
Keith Sproul, head of microcomputer support at Union Carbide, NJ, complained
about the poorly digitized fellatio on an IBM porno program. "Mac is better
on everything, and this is no execption."  -- "Computer Porn at the Office"
by Reese Erlich, _This_World_, S.F. Chronicle, p.8, Aug 13, 1989

Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/app/griffeath-cyclic-automata.hqx; 34K]

------------------------------

Date: 18 Aug 89   10:29 EST
From: WMLBTAM%UCCCVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Hanging a serial printer off a IIx w/MacIRMA

Date: 18 August 1989, 10:19:04 EST
>From: WMLBTAM at UCCCVM1
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU
Subj: Hanging a serial printer off a IIx w/MacIRMA

We're installing Mac IIs, IIxes, and IIcxes into the hospital where they will
be used (among other things) to communicate like dumb 3270-type terminals to
an IBM plug-compatible mainframe.  We're using MacIRMA for this (MacMainFrame
>From Avatar was also tested and works just fine; we've just got lots of pc
IRMA stuff around already) and it works fine; the light pen emulation is good,
folks appreciate the Macs having the full color options which most folks don't
have now with their monochrome tubes, etc.

Now they're throwing a new wrinkle into the mix.  The Telex terminals they're
buying for the rest of the hospital all have a serial and parallel port on
them (like lobotomized pc's, I guess) and they've bought little "point-of-
sale" printers to hang off the Telexes to use for printing stuff off the screen
onto patient forms (instead of using the credit-card-sized embossed card that
patients have to carry now).

These printers can be set for parallel or serial (dual interfaces on the back),
but how do I get a screen-dump from MacIRMA out [of the modem or printer port]
of the Mac to this device?  I tried using the same cable I talk RS232 with
usually, set the chooser for the Imagewriter driver in draft mode, and set it
for the port where the DIN-to-DB-25 cable was set up, but no dice.  Is this
the right tack?  Do I need a null modem (I didn't think of that till just
now...)?  Do I need some kind of serial printer driver to go along with the
ones I already have (for the LaserWriter and ImageWriter)?

Thanks for any thoughts--it'll be a real political issue if we can't interface
these, and a real coup if we can!

Theodore A. Morris, Univ. of Cincinnati|513-558-6046          AppleLink: U1091
Med Ctr Information & Communications   |Bitnet: WMLBTAM @ UCCCVM1  NTS: WB8VNV
231 Bethesda Avenue, Mail Location #574|======================================
Cincinnati, OH  45267-0574             |"Call me up and I'll talk data to ya'"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 89 15:56:01 +0200
From: dolf@fwi.uva.nl
Subject: Help needed for partition of a hard disk.

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>	Hello friends,

>I have a Seagate 80 Mb, 28 ms hard disk. I want to make two partitions
>on this HD, each of which can start up the computer with their own
>System (they are different) seperately. In other words, before I turn
>off computer, I can choose to start up computer with either partition
>No. 1 or partition No. 2 next time.

>If any body knows any software can do this on Seagate HD, please let me
>know. Thank you for your help.

I know of some software that can do this. In fact me and a friend wrote it.
It is a complete SCSI package including drivers formatter/manager/installer
and a cdev and da. It can do what you want and more.
But now for the bad news: We are currently working on putting this software
into sellable form (writing docs etc). This means the product won't be
available before the end of the year. Sorry about that.

--dolf

--
Dolf Starreveld  Phone: +31 20 592 5056/+31 20 592 5022, TELEX: 10262 HEF NL
EMAIL:           dolf@fwi.uva.nl (dolf%fwi.uva.nl@hp4nl.nluug.nl)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 89 20:48 EDT
From: <BMEDIRAT%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ICON Grabber XCMD

        This is a hypercard stack containing an XCMD I wrote that
will allow you to capture any 32x32 bit of graphics in the hypercard
window and save it as an ICON resource in any stack you choose.  It
comes with a script that goes in your home stack, and is easily
installable (just click the right button.)

        I have included the source codes for the XCMD, along with
some extras that I use whenever I write an XCMD/XFCN.  They can be
easily cut & pasted out of Hypercard.  I do this in the hopes that
it will inspire more people to post their source codes.  This program
is entirely free.

        Please e-mail any comments/flames to me at:
                BMEDIRATTA@COLGATEU (BITNET)

                        Enjoy,
                                Bharat Mediratta

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/xcmd/icon-grabber.hqx; 24K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 89 14:20 CDT
From: <MWW%TNTECH.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Michael W. Wheeler)
Subject: Macintosh analog and logic board modification questions

I have a couple of questions about the Macintosh analog board and
also a couple of questions about the logic board for any familiar
with the Macintosh's insides.

I have a 512K Mac upgraded from 128K via a board swap that I did myself.
It's power supply runs very hot and I'm wanting to add a fan to it. I have
a low voltage fan that will should do the trick but I don't know where to
jumper it to the analog board for power. Does anyone know?

Another question is what part is it on the original Macs power supply
that was known to most likely be the problem.  I'd like to get the part(s)
and replace them myself. I'm confident that I can replace it myself but
if I blow it I'll just by a new analog board since it really needs one
anyway.

I've had this Mac since 1984 and the original battery and power supply
are still in the machine.  I'd say that's pretty rare.  The power supply
has ran extrememly hot for about the last 4 years.  I've had the disk
drives worked on a couple of times and the dealer has found the power
supply out of adjustment both times.  The low voltages were out of
range by quite a bit.

And while I'm at it what would I need to do to upgrade my Mac to 1 or 2 meg
myself?  Can I just replace the 256Kbit chips with 1 Megabit chips?
Would I also need to remove or install any jumpers on the logic board.
I know the logic board is a 4 layer board and takes skill as well as
the proper equipment to modify, however, I do have a friend here who
has the equipment and is more experienced than I am at doing things
like that.

If I buy some 128K ROMs to replace my 64K ROMs will the mac still function
properly with the internal single-sided disk drive or must I replace it
at the same time? (Any body have a pair of 128K ROMs or an internal 800K
drive they'd be willing to sell? :-)

If you can answer any or all of these questions I would greatly
appreciate it.

Michael W. Wheeler  (Bitnet: mww@tntech)
Systems Programmer
Tennessee Technological University
Box 5071
Cookeville, TN  38505
(615) 372-3977

------------------------------

Date: 18 AUG 89 13:00:54 CST
From: Z4648252 <Z4648252%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MACINTOSH EMULATION

Stephen Page writes:

>A friend of mine asked me a question, to which left me perplexed.  If you
>switch the EPROMS in the Atari Amiga to those used in the Macintosh, will it
>be compatible with a Macintosh?  Any good solid information on such a hack?
>Thanks!

    NOPE.  The Amiga is made by Commodore, not Atari.  Both Commodore and
to a far greater extent, the Atari can emulate the Mac with varying degrees
of success.  The Atari ST, using an emulation cartridge populated with
128k Mac ROMs, is for all practical purposes during emulation mode, a
Mac.  Indeed, the Atari ST is 'rated' as a Mac Plus but at a ten percent
increase in speed.  SuperClock gains several minutes per hour, for example.
    The ATari ST is also available in a laptop, albeit a bit wide (15 "),
hence, a portable Mac.  Plugging the Mac emuation cartridge into the ST's
cartridge port is painless and will give the user an extension of his
current computer.  Compatibility is great.  HyperCard works, Excel, FullWrite,
etc., all work.  Some copy protected games don't work, but then the ST has
better games than a Mac due the nature of the machine.
    The Amiga has a similar cartridge called A-Max and gives similar
emulation.  However, unlike the ST, the Amiga's Mac emulator will NOT
support a hard drive and dragging devices to the trashcan to deactivate
them does not work.  One has to do this via the pull down eject command.
On the ST, the user can eject devices, disks, etc., as you would on a
real Mac.
    There are three Mac emulators available for the ST:  Spectre GCR,
Aladin, and a version from Kumax (??).  A-Max is only available for the
Amiga.
    Spectre GCR reads Mac disks directly like a real Mac whereas the
other emulators cannot.  The A-Max for the Amiga can read the Mac disks
but does so very slowly and is actually happier 'transverting' the Mac
disks to its own format.
    So, for Atari STs and Commodore Amigas to emulate the Mac, the user
has to purchase a Mac emulator (ranging from $150-$300) and Mac 128K roms.
The Atari ST offers the advantage of having a portable unit and being
able to read Mac disks directly at the same speed of a real Mac.  The ST
also emulates the Mac at a slightly faster speed than a Mac Plus.
    Uh, for what it is worth, Atari and Commodore also offer ONLY a 90
day warranty.  GRIN

Larry Rymal in East Texas <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 89 09:23:48 -0500
From: Kurt Hirchert <hirchert@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: NCSA Telnet 2.1e (and others)

Scott Truesdell <truesdel@ics.uci.edu> writes:

>Tom Eskridge <eskridge@austin.lockheed.com> writes:

>>Where can I ftp version 2.1e ?
>>(the 'e' being the operative character)

>The current version is 2.2 and then there's version 2.3 which supports
>MacTCP.  What is it with this 2.1e version? Anything special?

In versions 2.1 and earlier, there were two different versions of the NCSA
TCP/IP kernel - one for Appletalk, the other for Ethernet.  Thus, version
2.1e was version 2.1 combined with the Ethernet driver.  In version 2.2, the
kernels were combined under the control of a switch read from the config.tel
file, so the same binary could be used for either purpose.  In version 2.3,
there are once again two versions - one using the combined NCSA TCP/IP kernels,
the other using MacTCP.  The advantage of the former is that it does not
require buying MacTCP.  The advantage of the latter is that other programs
using MacTCP can be run simultaneously (e.g. the Hypercard nntp news reader).
Either version of 2.3 can be obtained from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu (also known as
zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu or 128.174.20.50).  I know of no current source for
either of the 2.1 versions.  I would strongly urge all users of NCSA Telnet
to upgrade to 2.3 (which is now the current version).

Kurt W. Hirchert     hirchert@ncsa.uiuc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 89 17:51 PDT
From: "is having a tea party..." <MADRABT@toby.acs.washington.edu>
Subject: Response to:

>Info-Mac Digest             Mon,  7 Aug 89       Volume 7 : Issue 138
>Date: Sun, 6 Aug 1989  16:49:12 EDT
>From: FAC0395%UOFT01.BITNET@jade.berkeley.edu    (J. Feustle)
>Subject: Large text files and HyperCard

>Does anyone know of a utility that will read text from a file until
>it fills the card's text field (spaces included), then creates
>another card, and so on until all text is imported? Here's hoping
>for a better way.

  I suspect such a solution will not work since, as I remember it, fields
in Hypercard are limited to 32k of text.  Therefore, unless your text
files are over 32k, all the text will be imported into a single card.

  Perhaps using a "stripper" to remove your delimiting characters (tabs
and returns) would solve your problem.

Christopher Rimple                       Free Dialog BBS
Mad Rabbit Productions                   (206) 365-4605
P.O. Box 30883                    Meg after meg of movie lines,
Seattle, WA  98103           soundtracks, and other digitized sounds
(206) STEALTH

Bitnet:     MADRABT@UWAV1
Internet:   IN%"MADRABT@UWAV1.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU"
Compuserve: 71750,2256

Disclaimer: Where there's a will...

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 89 15:16 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen - Micro Specialist)
Subject: Script Manager Stack

Here is a stack with some useful utilities I've developed. They are all for
helping manage scripts, automatic versioning and documenting changes, looking
at text files, a simple hypercard based text editor with print and file
renaming, etc.  Enjoy,

Peter Jorgensen
Microcomputer specialist
Colgate University - Hamilton, NY 13346
AppleLink - U0523
BITNET - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU
tel - 315-824-1000 ext 742

[Archived as /info-mac/hypercard/script-manager.hqx; 135K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 89 15:14 +0200
From: KJR@kkeka1.ericsson.se
Subject: Telecommunications software running in the bakground

	I need to send and recieve files in the background using MultiFinder,
	thus, want to know if there is any commincation software (PD/SW)
	that does this?
	Thanks	Sigge Ruschkowski	Sweden

	kjr@kkeka1.ericsson.se

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 89 08:52:56 EDT
From: Jean Brunet <R31631%UQAM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Temperament 2

Recently I wrote to John Rotenstein, author of Temperament. This
is what I was telling him: "I enjoy very much your INIT
Temperament when using the English version of MS Word, but as I
write mostly in French I would appreciate having a version which
will get rid of the similar temp files coming up in the French
version of the software, the type and the creator names are the
same'.

Not only did John modify it to be compatible with all foreign
languages but further he turned out the INIT into a CDV capable
of eliminating at startup all combersome files. John is not on
this network and I am sure he would like to make it available to
everyone interested. Temparement 2 replaces Temparement 1. It is
freeware, all rights belong to John Rotenstein. If you like the
CDEV drop him a postcard, he will appreciate it.

John Rotenstein
P.O. Box 165
Double bay
NSW 2028
AUSTRALIA

Jean BruneT, UNIVERSITE DU QUEBEC A MONTREAL, MONTREAL, QC.
R31631@UQAM

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/temperament-2.hqx; 73K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 89 12:22:47 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: THINK C 4.0, first impressions

Well, I got my 4.0 upgrade last night... 10 days after I mailed my
upgrade offer.  MUCH better order-fulfilling turnaround than last
year's 3.0 upgrade!

I installed it (no problems at all), opened up my MandelZot project,
converted the project to 4.0 format, and then started to rebuild the
application under 4.0.  I had to make a few changes to my #include
files to make MandelZot compatible with the new ANSI library
structure...  a few file-names were different, etc.  Only two or three
statements in my source-code required changing... again, due to the
ANSI-ness of some of the functions I'm calling.

Alas, the resulting application is about 10% larger than before.  Under
3.0, I was able to simply include the "strings" and "sprintf"
libraries; these gave me all of the functions I needed.  Under 4.0, I
found it necessary to include the whole ANSI library.  The "sprintf"
function has been rewritten, and it now appears to be dependent on much
more of the <stdio> function structure.  As a result, the THINK C
linker brings in about 12k of code that wasn't needed in the previous
version.  Oh well...

I've started looking over the documentation for the Think Class Library.
>From what I can see, this looks like a _very_ nice package... it appears
to implement most of the flow-of-control-and-management code that a
generic Mac application would require.  I probably won't rewrite
MandelZot to use TCL... but I'll certainly write my next application
using it!

The in-line assembler supports 68881 instructions just fine.  I was able
to modify my in-line 68881 code (previously implemented with DC.L
directives, and instruction codes in hex!) with very little effort.
The code compiles just fine, and runs correctly.

I'd like to commend Symantec for the terms of the product warranty, as
described on the sealed envelope holding the disks.  All too often,
these warranties state, in effect, "We guarantee that there's software
on this disk, and that you'll be able to read the disk.  We don't
guarantee that this software will do diddly-squat.  If it doesn't work,
tough." Symantec, on the other hand, guarantees that the software will
perform "substantially as documented".  If it doesn't, and if you
inform them of the problem within 90 days of purchase, they'll either
fix the problem and provide you with the fixed version, or refund the
price of purchase.  Way to go, folks... it's refreshing to see a vendor
stand behind its product!

Overall impressions, based on about 3 hours examination and use... this
upgrade appears well worth the price!

Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:   coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,  ...@uunet.uu.net
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

End of Info-Mac Digest