Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (08/24/89)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 23 Aug 89       Volume 7 : Issue 148

Today's Topics:
                            Administrivia
  [C44JMS%AVIARY.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com : Mac/Atari compatibility query
                       Boomerang 2.0B7 anomaly
                     Composition Forums on BITNET
                        Daylight Savings Time
                 Decompressing Unix Z format on a Mac
                         Dt Calculator DA 3.0
                                help!
                           ImagenPostScript
                    improved MACARCH macro for CMS
                       Info-Mac Digest V7 #147
                   Information wanted on Fax Modems
                       Jove 4.12 for Macintosh
                           MultiXfer v0.2a1
                        Nothing CDEV (2 msgs)
  Previously Posted MacJove Problem w/VersaTerm and MF - SUPERCLOCK
                            re: Appleshare
                      Suitcase II 1.2.5 updater
                          SuperBar INIT 1.01
                         SUPERCARD 1.0 REPORT
                      SuperCard 1.0 report cont

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1989 13:22:27 PDT
From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Administrivia

Sumex is back up. However, due to a glitch in the recovery process, mail
to Info-Mac received between 12:30 and 9:30 in the morning of Tuesday,
August 22, was lost.

Bill

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 89 16:57 PDT
From: "JOAN SANIUK, M/C E602, x7014" <C44JMS%AVIARY%HAC2GM@engvax.scg.hac.com>
Subject: [C44JMS%AVIARY.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com : Mac/Atari compatibility query

A charity for which I volunteer has a 1300 name mailing list and
label merge template set up as M/S Works documents, produced with my Plus.

Being too poor to afford its own Mac, the charity did a little begging and
now has... an Atari.  It looks like a very nice computer (i.e., it talks
to me in pictures...:) ).  It will be a very useful one, as well, if it can
be used to maintain the mailing list *WITHOUT OUR RE KEYING THE MAILING LIST*.
(My predecessor owned a Kaypro II...:{ )

At the risk of proposing heresy to the net, does anyone out there
know of peripherals that will allow the Atari to run programs
developed for the Mac?

Joan M. Saniuk                    Disclaimer:  opinions, when I
c44jms@aviary.gmgate.hac.com        have any, are my own.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 89 17:53:57 PDT
From: hayp04@csa2.lbl.gov
Subject: Boomerang 2.0B7 anomaly

Peter Furmonavicius asks about the anomaly of Boomerang, saying that
"in the SaveAs dialog, only first 3 characters appears in the dialog".
I bet Peter is using Rebound with Boomerang.  Boomerang has the
Rebound feature built in, and the solution is "just take out the
Rebound from the system folder".

Hiro Yamamoto

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 89 11:09 PDT
From: "Michael E. Cohen"                   <IBZ2MEC@oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: Composition Forums on BITNET

For Paul Brians and others interested (cf. info-mac v7, no 145):

BITNET has an ongoing discussion concerning computers and English composition.
It is known as "Megabyte University" and you can reach the discussion
organizer at YKMBU@TTACS.BITNET. His name is Fred Kemp.

Michael E. Cohen
UCLA Humanities Computing Facility
(IBZ2MEC@UCLAMVS.BITNET)
Disclaimer: If you read it here, you read it here...

------------------------------

Date: 22 Aug 89 13:34 EDT
From: Greg Smith <SMITH%BUCKNELL.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Daylight Savings Time

Guenther Blaschek writes:

>A prototype of this tool is already under testing, but I would very much like
>to extend it in such a way that it also switches between daylight saving time
>and regular time. Yes, I know that there is already such a tool (Daylight cdev
>by Gregory Smith), but this one doesn't work for me, because the rules for
>switching are not flexible enough.

I am currently working on version 1.1 of Daylight CDev, which has a more
flexible configuration dialog box, including popup menus.  Handling of European
rules (1st Sunday in Autumn or Spring) would be simple to add.  If anyone has
any other requests or suggestions for the next version, please send them to me
at one of the addresses below.

+----------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Greg Smith                 | BITNET:   smith@bucknell.bitnet       |
| Systems Analyst            |           smith@bknlvms.bitnet        |
| Bucknell Computer Services | Internet: smith@bucknell.edu          |
| Bucknell University        |           smith@amethyst.bucknell.edu |
| Lewisburg, PA  17837       | AT&Tnet:  (717) 524-1801              |
+----------------------------+---------------------------------------+

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1989 11:44 CDT
From: Kevin Coffel <KCOFFEL%UMINN1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Decompressing Unix Z format on a Mac

Recently, I have been FTPing a number of mac files from various archives
around the internet.  However, I have run into a problem trying to
decompress the Unix Z format.  I only have access to a VM/CMS IBM
Mainframe (choke) and macintoshes.  I have been able to sucessfully
Binhex and UnStuffit all other files.  Does anyone have a PD utility to
decompress this Z format on the Mac?  Can Stuffit/UnStuffit do it if
the file is set to a specific type and or creator?
Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin Coffel
Internet: Kcoffel at vm1.spcs.umn.edu
Bitnet: Kcoffel at uminn1

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Aug 89 18:23:54 -0200
From: sund@tde.lth.se (Lars Sundstr|m)
Subject: Dt Calculator DA 3.0

Dt Calculator DA 3.0  -  A Scientific RPN calculator

Changes since 2.x

* Dt Calculator has been converted to freeware (from being
  shareware)

* Added statistic functions

* Handles the stack properly after use of RCL. Last version
  didn't lift the stack when a number was entered after use
  of RCL.

* Mac keyboard support has been changed and extended

Documenation included.

/Lars Sundstroem

[Archived as /info-mac/da/dt-calculator-30.hqx; 37K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 89  18:03:34 EDT
From: Damian%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: help!

I need help with some copy-protection issues and problems.  At the lab
I work at we are now using Suitcase II to give online access to a large
array of fonts.  The problems:

1. While we like the idea of letting students have access to all these fonts
we do not want them to be able to change the settings of Suitcase II.  We
would like to make  Suitcase II not appear in the DA list of the Apple
Menu.  Is this possible?

2. We would also like to be able to have the Suitcase DA invisible on the
desktop.  The problem with this is that if we make it invisible, then the
Mac system doesn't recognize it or load it into memory on startup.  Is there
a solution I have overlooked?  We are considering just changing the Icon
of Suitcase to something less likely to be recognized.

Any help would be appreciated!

Damian Roskill
damian@umass.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 89 16:56:08 -0500
From: Don Gillies <gillies@cs.uiuc.edu>
Subject: ImagenPostScript

I posed a question in these newsgroups on March 23, asking how to
get postscript files prepared on a Mac, to print properly on an
Imagen 2308S running 4.0 software with Ultrascript.  This posting
provides the solutions that were suggested by Imagen software support,
and several net readers.

[Archived as /info-mac/tips/imagen-postscript.txt; 5K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 89 01:50:50 CDT
From: GA0095%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Robert J. Brenstein)
Subject: improved MACARCH macro for CMS

Here is something for VM/CMS users who frequently request files from the
$MacArch archives in LISTSERV at RICE.  The MACARCH XEDIT is a macro file
which makes it a zap to do this.  It is written for the current format of
$MacArch archive.

The MACARCH macro works on full-screen as well as line-oriented terminals.
On a full-screen it is assigned to a PF key (PF10 in the enclosed files).
While editing the RECENT or ALL catalog, press this PF key after placing
the cursor in the line with the file you want to get.  The macro will send
the GET command to LISTSERV at RICE for that file.  On a line-oriented
terminal, locate a line with the desired file name and enter the MACARCH
command (no operands) to achieve the same effect as described above.

Note that this version will also accept the MACARCH command when entered from
the arrow (command) line--the file in the current line will be requested.

This submission includes two files: MACARCH XEDIT and PROFILE XEDIT. The
latter one is included to illustrate how PROFILE XEDIT could be like (for
those unfamiliar with this beast) and to show how to assign PF10 to be
the MACARCH macro for the $MacArch catalogs only.  It assumes that the
catalogs are filed as MACARCH ALL and MACARCH RECENT, respectively.
(Note that the dollar sign prefix is not expected anymore.)

If you have already installed the PROFILE XEDIT downloaded with the old
version of the MACARCH macro or the MACSERVE macro, please note that
the PROFILE XEDIT in this submission is identical to one in the other
submissions, hence you don't need to replace it.

In order to use the MACARCH and PROFILE macros, you need to cut them out from
this file into their own independent files named MACARCH XEDIT and PROFILE
XEDIT, respectively. Both files should be in V format--use the COPYFILE
command with RECFM V and TRUNC options to set it if the LIST * XEDIT A (ALL
command shows otherwise.

The MACARCH macro works only with the $MACARCH CONTENTS and $MACARCH
RECENT catalogs as obtained from the archive.  These two are different
>From ./help/files-all and .help/files-recent.

Please, notify me (GA0095@SIUCVMB.Bitnet) if you encounter any problems.

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/vms-macarch-xedit.txt; 13K
             /info-mac/misc/vms-macserve-xedit.txt; 13K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 89 22:52:30 -0400
From: mjkobb@athena.mit.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V7 #147

Paul Brians <HRC$04%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> writes:

>I downloaded a CDEV from MacServe called "nothing" which claims to
>do nothing--practical joke, right?
>It's a menace!  On my Mac, activating it made the right-hand half
>of the control panel menu disappear--permanently!  I could not
>use any of my CDEVs.  There was no note or documentation explaining
>how to get rid of it.  I had to reinstall the system to eliminate
>the problem.  Worse, GateKeeper detected nothing wrong when it was
>doing its nasties.  It's not a virus, but is just as bad.  I
>recommend it be yanked from the library.

Um.  In general, .hqx files have a brief comment at the beginning of the file,
before the encoded program info.  This is, of course, trashed when you de-
binhex, but it's usually worth reading.  In the case of nothing.hqx, it reads
as follows:
>Introducing Nothing cdev...

>There's nothing to say but nothing itself.
>
>Nothing is automatically reversed when another cdev is selected.
>If you close the Control Panel with Nothing active, you'll have to choose
>Nothing afterwards, then another cdev.  Got that?

It worked fine on my Mac Plus, but I don't know about your architecture.

--Mike

Disclaimer: I think that disclaimers are an incredibly sad statement about our
society.  Nonetheless, nothing that I say can or should be construed as having
been said by anyone.  Ever.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 89 22:57:39 EDT
From: wald@cmsun.nrl.navy.mil (Bruce Wald)
Subject: Information wanted on Fax Modems

1.  I am interested in obtaining a fax modem for my Mac+.  Desired modes
of operation include
   a.  Unattended receive for later printout on Laserwriter.
   b.  Fax transmission of documents; mostly MSWord with pict images,
       occasional Excel spreadsheets.
Suggestions solicited, mail appropriate, I will summarize.

2.  I am curious how the devices work and at what speed.  Does
printing 80 square inch bitmaps on a Laserwriter take forever?  Does
the modem have an engine that converts MSWord and pict stuff to
bitmaps?  Any problems with 300 dpi to 200 lpi?

------------------------------

Date: 18 Aug 89 19:45:00 EST
From: "Jeffrey Templon" <templon@venus.iucf.indiana.edu>
Subject: Jove 4.12 for Macintosh

	Find following MacJove 4.12, stuffed and BinHex'd in three parts.
The author has informed me that the version in the archives, 4.9, is to
be "avoided".

				Jeff Templon
			Indiana University Cyclotron Facility

[Archived as /info-mac/app/macjove-412.hqx; 169K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 89 11:00:50 EDT
From: Martin Dubuc <dubuc@iro.umontreal.ca>
Subject: MultiXfer v0.2a1

There has been some problems reported with MultiXfer v0.1 especially
for users running MultiXfer on a Macintosh Plus. So I decided to send
back the lattest (fixed) version of MultiXfer (v0.2a1). This version
has a couple of new features. Notice that it is not compatible with
v0.1 (peoples having two different versions can't communicate together).

MultiXfer is a telecommunication application in which I implemented
a protocol based on X.25 allowing someone to make simultaneous
upload/download/chat (this is the kind of protocol used in MCS).

One of the major feature of MultiXfer beside its protocol is its
ability to turn your Macintosh into a host computer letting other
peoples using MultiXfer call your Mac, receive, send, catalog files
and navigate through the directories of your disk without any
human intervention.

There is also a dumb terminal implemented into the application and
it does support (truly) MultiFinder.

This is a preliminary version. I would be glad to hear feedbacks
>From users (good and bad) as I intend to develop more features
in it.

Additions since v0.1:
* Distant receive, catalog, change directory
* Protocol extension (including CRC error checking)
* Some fixes in the terminal emulation
* Has been tested successfully under Macintosh Plus, SE and II

   Martin Dubuc
   dubuc@iro.umontreal.ca

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/multixfer-02a1.hqx; 50K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 89 10:17:06 MST
From: bklaas@cmdfs2.intel.com
Subject: Nothing CDEV

I had no problems with it.  It just turned the left part of the
control panel into something that is similar to the "view by name"
option rather then the "view by icon" option.  A very useful function
if one has many CDEVs loaded.  To remove it, just double click on
nothing again, it gives you the option to remove itself.

** Brian Klaas, Design Engineer     ***  DISCLAIMER:  All opinions           **
** Intel Corporation                ***     stated here are strictly my own. **
** InterNET ->  bklaas%sedona.intel.com@relay.cs.NET                  UUCP:  **
** {hplabs,decwrl,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel,amdcad}!intelca!mipos3!sedona!bklaas  **

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 89 15:42:16 -0400
From: Andy Malis <malis@bbn.com>

[Nothing cdev described as a menace]

If you activate Nothing a second time, the right half of the cdev
window comes back.  It's a cute little hack, nothing more or less.

Andy

------------------------------

Date: 18 Aug 89 20:33:00 EST
From: "Jeffrey Templon" <templon@venus.iucf.indiana.edu>
Subject: Previously Posted MacJove Problem w/VersaTerm and MF - SUPERCLOCK

The previously posted problem with respect to launching MacJove under
MultiFinder with VersaTerm running has been narrowed to an interaction
problem with the Superclock CDEV.  The latest versions are the ones being
used, Jove 4.12 and Superclock 3.5.  I am notifying the author of MacJove.
Can someone with compuserve access notify Mr. Christiansen?

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 89 19:34 CDT
From: Scott Hutinger <MSER001%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: re: Appleshare

>I just installed Appleshare.  Did I do something wrong or is Appleshare intent
>on calling InitWindows at INIT time?  It's kind of disturbing to have my
>StartupScreen vanish at startup.  Any fixes or ideas?

I guess they just did not read Tech note #247!  Pete Helme wrote the Tech
note, and I think everyone that uses a mac should read this tech note.  Pete
does a good job of yaking about all the people which do such dirty, rotten,
nasty type things.  Good tech note, read it!

scott hutinger
p.s.  Hopefully someone from apple will post this in the near future...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 89 08:39:42 EDT
From: Michael D. Prange <prange@erl.mit.edu>
Subject: Suitcase II 1.2.5 updater

Enclosed is an updater application which will upgrade your current
version of Suitcase II to version 1.2.5.

Michael
prange@erl.mit.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/util/suitcase-ii-125-updater.hqx; 50K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Aug 89 18:42:31 -0200
From: sund@tde.lth.se (Lars Sundstr|m)
Subject: SuperBar INIT 1.01

SuperBar 1.01

SuperBar in an INIT which eliminates the annoying flickering
every time the menubar is drawn or updated. This last version
fixes a bug which appeares when the screen depth is changed by
no redrawing the menubar properly. SuperBar should be installed
before all other INITs dealing with the menubar in order to
obtain the best result.

SuperBar is freeware

/Lars Sundstroem

[Archived as /info-mac/init/superbar-101.hqx; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 89 09:42:10 SST
From: TNG TH <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SUPERCARD 1.0 REPORT

I suppose I have the distinction of creating one of the first huge projects
in SuperCard 1.0. My task was to put the staff profile, research projects, and
other misc data of my institute for public browsing. Of course I needed color,
animation, sound, interactivity. I started in Hypercard, wrote a showtiff xcmd
and decided against it. Then MacWorld Asia came along and I bought SuperCard
out of compulsion for US$120.

SuperCard supports:
1. HyperCard, including XCMDs, XFCNs,
2. multiple windows
3. color (up to 256)
4. draw, paint, field, button, card, background, window, project objects.
5. built-in animation routine - move object to points on graphic path
6. runs PICS, STEP
7. imports TIFF, PICT2 files.
8. has a runtime editor written in supercard
9. has a separate SuperEdit for faster editing
10. simply incredible.

Bugs discovered:
1. VW HyperCard driver 1.2 doesn't work too well. Playing a VW animation
   somehow destroys the ability to play snd files after that. My solution
   was to create a silence snd found 6 seconds long. Play Silence-6 before
   calling PlayVW. Silence-6 will play for about 2-3 seconds, then PlayVW
   interrupts, and once the animation ends, the rest of the Silence-6 will
   be played. Somehow this maintains two separate buffers which wasn't
   needed in hypercard.
2. Try as I might, I can't seem to create a standalone which allows all
   XCMDs to work. The Alert-Dialog XCMD worked fine if the runtime editor
   was installed. If I remove that, it doesn't work.
3. Now talking about the runtime editor. Standalones can't be created with
   the runtime editor installed. I have all means. Each time I start up the
   standalone, a dialog popups asking for the darn runtime editor which can't
   be found.

Dangerous Features
1. The draw mode works like macdraw. You can group or ungroup paint and/or draw
   objects and assign a script to it. The danger is that when the object is
   ungrouped, you will lose the script. This is logical, but still it struck me
   a great surprise and terrible one too, having to retype the script.
2. The invisible objects are invisible, and I have to be concious about them.

...to be continued...power failure

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 89 11:12:26 SST
From: TNG TH <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SuperCard 1.0 report cont

2. The invisible objects are not copied when you do a select all. The
   mechanisms must be there to prevent these accidents.
3. With color and windows and objects, the system slows to a crawl.
   Going to another card actually slows the thing down so much the user
   of your project is usually left wondering what's happened. The common
   response would be to click a few times, thus unkowningly activating
   other objects.
4. Sometimes using go back can cause an error message which closes the
   current project, dumping you into the runtime editor.

Conclusion:
A fine package. But need speed improvements. I will probably be using
SuperCard to prototype applications and user interface ideas.

End of Info-Mac Digest